Page 1 of 7
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

New monk tank... Tank abuse constantly. Is this normal?

So, I'm a level 67 Brewmaster. Back in BC I played a warrior tank, but never tanked raids, only heroics. People normally followed directions pretty well, were cautious, and for the most part, were polite.

I've been tanking since level 15, and it's been...a nightmare. There have been good runs, but there have also been some really, really bad runs. I used to play a healer - I understand how much crap healers take. This has been infinitely worse. What I want to know is...should I continue to expect this kind of treatment through to 90?

• People complaining that I'm pulling extra mobs/bosses when we "don't need to". I'm there for XP, using my Monk XP buff, and want to get the most out of it. It takes an extra minute to kill this stuff and it's usually in our path. I've literally had people harass me so badly that I've left groups, only to have them follow me onto my server and tell me I should kill myself.
    • People complaining that I'm not pulling enough at once. I roll with a healer when I queue, so I know how much I/he can handle based on the dungeon and the mobs' abilities...and I pull A LOT at once. Complaining is one thing, but most take it farther and begin chain pulling themselves, usually through body pulls, then lose it when I don't save them from a 2 shot.
    • People being general rude pricks, then chain pulling mobs so we can't get out of combat long enough for a vote kick.
    • People complaining that I'm not going fast enough while barely cracking 1000dps. Most stand around trying to pull more mobs while never DPSing what I'm already tanking.
    • Hunters who leave taunt on on their pets, then ignore me when I politely ask them to turn it off, multiple times. Pets taunt on bosses with conal abilities, boss spins around, group takes damage. "lrn 2 tank"

All of the above is usually accompanied by name calling and tons of people who just want to waste my time.

They all seem to feel like telling me how to do my job is 100% fine, but if I mention the fact that I'm doing 75% of the damage then they freak out.

Typical bad run:

I enter the dungeon, buff, and pull my first group. Immediately people are already on me about making sure we "do this fast". At that point I'd been dealing with morons run after run, so my healer comments that it would be easier to pull more if they did more DPS... IMMEDIATE. INSANITY. The DPS monk in the group decides to "show us what bad DPS really is" and proceeds, for the rest of the run, to not participate AT ALL (as in zero DPS), while following the healer spamming /dance and /joke. Every time I try to kick her she pulls something before we can drop the vote kick "in combat" debuff then runs backwards, forcing me to pick it up or wipe us. We finally get to the end and are at the boss. Once again, she pulls it, then takes off heading for the entrance. The entire group bitches me out for being a "double douchebag" because I didn't pick up the boss. I was busy cleaning up pop from my keyboard, watching the screen. Once the warlock is safely kiting the boss, the monk runs back and begins dancing next to me. Once I'm able to get back and ensure my keyboard isn't screwed, I finally convince them that she's been absolutely horrible and we kick her. Immediately following they say, "NOW FOR THE HEALER" and kick my healer. igiveup.

And that's typical. I run into people who abuse the pull/vote kick in combat debuff over and over, knowing that we can't get rid of them. Yep, I have put in a ticket before for this, and I was told to report them through the right click > report feature in game...which makes no sense, because they weren't swearing or spamming. They're just being dicks.

So TL;DR I love monk tanking. Very fun. People are jerks. Will it get better? It wasn't like this when I used to tank.
    Last edited by Lalicat; 2012-11-11 at 08:37 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Congregation of Our Knights Most Heavenly
    Quote Originally Posted by Lalicat View Post
    People are jerks. Will it get better?
    I suggest running with guildies, because jerks are abundant.

If someone comes to your server and tells you to kill yourself you should report them. We need less of these people ingame anyway.

Groups are going to be like that. Just ignore them and do what you need to do and if they don't like it then they can leave.

A thread complaining about LFD pugs. This is the first time ever. Oh wait. It's not. Everyone knows pugging is 5% great, 95% shit.

It was quite the opposite for me.

when i started tanking people worshiped me. I even get to boss people around, it's fantastic.
    Gamers are too obsessed with the death of games. Imagine if all that energy was channeled into the LIFE of games.

Deleted
    I'm tanking on my RR Monk tank as well.
    I pull at my speed, can't keep up, GTFO.
    Got a problem with my tanking, don't let the door hit you on the way out.
    I constantly powerlevel morons, doing 3 times their combined DPS, and outhealing the healer in some cases. (Extract harm spam, chi wave on mono, guard ...)

You're the tank, they need you, you don't need them. Just drop instance and quest if morons give you grief.

10+ Year Old Account
    It will only get better if you get better at dealing with it. To be a proper tank in WoW:

25% using your abilites.
    25% knowing the dungeon. (kill order, boss abilities etc.)
    50% "Acting" like you know exactly WTF you're doing. And taking zero crap from anyone that might have a thought of their own.

I'm serious, show the least bit of weakness and your group will be all over you like a rabid pack of cracked up Chinchilla's itching for a fix.
    I sat alone in the dark one night, tuning in by remote.
    I found a preacher who spoke of the light, but there was Brimstone in his throat.
    He'd show me the way, according to him, in return for my personal check.
    I flipped my channel back to CNN and lit another cigarette.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by arisoh View Post
    I suggest running with guildies, because jerks are abundant.
    Unfortunately I'm in a guild with friends, all of which don't have lower alts for me to level with. It's myself and my boyfriend (healer) running. I try to pick up DPS around the same level on my server whenever I see them. However, I think I will switch to questing once I hit Northrend to take a break from pugging.

To whoever was sarcastically saying "Oh, another complaining thread," I'm sorry. I don't read these forums often. At 90 when I run heroic groups on my mage I've NEVER seen anything like what I'm seeing while leveling my monk. I wasn't sure if it was because I've gotten lucky, or if this kind of behaviour mostly happens at lower levels.

Well, thats pretty simple;
    If they are talking shits, just ignore them or press X (def. hotkey to sit) and wait for the kick. Or you can just leave after the 1st boss, cuz then you wont get the debuff and you will get an almost instant new group with you and your friend's tank/healer pair anyway.
    If they are pulling the mobs just let them die. Same goes for tauntig pets.
    Ofc you should only do these things if they are keep doing their retardness after you told them to stop.

In short, dont quit tanking just because there are idiots out there.

TBH when Iam tanking I rarely read the chat, only if the healer is not a friend of mine so I can see when he/she need an MB.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Firebane View Post
    I'm tanking on my RR Monk tank as well.
    I pull at my speed, can't keep up, GTFO.
    Got a problem with my tanking, don't let the door hit you on the way out.
    I constantly powerlevel morons, doing 3 times their combined DPS, and outhealing the healer in some cases. (Extract harm spam, chi wave on mono, guard ...)

You're the tank, they need you, you don't need them. Just drop instance and quest if morons give you grief.
    I completely understand. I can't tell if monks are OP or the people I'm with are just that bad. Thankfully I have a great healer, but even then I do A LOT of healing in addition to DPS.

I really wish you could vote kick more often, haha.

10+ Year Old Account
    I just levelled to 80 the last couple of days so ive an idea what your talking about. If those type of groups are typical though then your very unlucky. With those kind of people i instantly put them on ignore and report them for cheating, you can describe exactly what they were doing, in your case exploiting the dungeon kick mechanic, probably nothing going to happen but atleast you wont be grouped with them again.
    But yeh the days where people let the tank decide the pace of the run are dead unfortunately. I always say hello at the beginning of dungeons too and very rarely get a reply.
    sad times.

Edit: Also tanks doing 75% of the damage is the norm until around the 70s. A lot of classes have very poor aoe unless tanking till then. Though some classes in looms still destroy recount.
    Last edited by hiragana; 2012-11-11 at 08:59 PM.

Pugs are usually horrible, if you run with a healer you can ignore the ones saying pull more, I've seen a lot of dps die that way. About the hunters, there are several bugs out there with their taunts, locks will annoy you too with the same issues. Most in LFD are just ignorant of their class and won't know about these bugs or how to turn taunt off even...

Deleted
    I've found it's mostly at lower level because people can do it and get away with it. I haven't seen people behave in heroics the same way they do in level 20 dungeons. Part of that might well be that the kind of people that cause trouble don't run heroics at max level, or even get that far.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by hiragana View Post
    I just levelled to 80 the last couple of days so ive an idea what your talking about. If those type of groups are typical though then your very unlucky. With those kind of people i instantly put them on ignore and report them for cheating, you can describe exactly what they were doing, in your case exploiting the dungeon kick mechanic, probably nothing going to happen but atleast you wont be grouped with them again.
    But yeh the days where people let the tank decide the pace of the run are dead unfortunately. I always say hello at the beginning of dungeons too and very rarely get a reply.
    sad times.
    GOOD IDEA about reporting for cheating regarding the dungeon kick mechanic. Guess that's technically exploiting.

I was in a run the other night where 4/5 of our members said "hello" at the beginning of the run. It was awesome.

I've had good experiences with monk tanks, to be honest, except one.

If you're in a dungeon, and one hit from a mob is taking out 20% of your health, and your healer is sitting there spamming flash heal to keep you alive, do not for the love of god pull multiple groups and turn your backs on the ones you pulled already. -.-

Why do you tank?

If the answer is "In order to be praised" then I sympathize with you.

Just report them and smile knowing that those kind of people collect surely enough complains to enjoy 1-3 days off wow for sure. Esp if they attack you directly.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by hx9 View Post
    Why do you tank?

If the answer is "In order to be praised" then I sympathize with you.
    I was always a healer, then DPS for years. I tanked on my warrior because I found it very different, challenging, and I enjoyed being the one to coordinate pulls and so on (although there's not much coordination required now.)

I tank on my monk because I REALLY love the style of tanking. It really feels like a brewmaster... I can imagine myself stumbling around drunk chucking barrels at monsters and saving my team mates from death. I also enjoy it because it's easy to be either offensive or defensive, or do more/less damage.

I enjoy playing the game, enjoy interacting with people, and enjoy tanking because it's fun. I don't need anyone to tell me I'm doing a good job. I KNOW I'm doing a good job.

What isn't fun are people who are rude, or go out of their way to make my life a living hell. I don't find that fun. If anyone finds that fun, then I expect they're in the military...or masochistic. I play a massively multiplayer online game to play with other people, not have to carefully pick and choose who I interact with to avoid the kind of people who tell me to kill myself because they don't get their way. That's incredibly immature.

If asking the question, "Does this happen often? Will this continue?" somehow infer that I require praise to enjoy myself, well...sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by Editos View Post
    It will get better
    Thank-you! I am looking forward to hitting 90.

here is what a good tank should do. he should pull fast and go to a SPOT and tank everything in range on that one spot, move AFTER everything is dead and that's it. healer don't go OOM even if they spam aoe dps abilities and heal. 15-80+ it's about aoe dps and nothing else.

bad tanks pull 3, kill 2, then pull 3 more while that last one tags along, slowly

bad tanks move/dance with teh mobs because they lack the experience to know how to position a pack where they want it

bad tanks have downtime. there is no reason to stop hitting stuff. you should go fast.