Page 10 of 59 FirstFirst ...
8
9
10
11
12
20
... LastLast
  1. #181
    Quote Originally Posted by Karazee View Post
    We don't actually need Texas, do we? Let them leave.
    Holy shit, yes we do.

    Texas is not like the other Southern states.

    They're an extremely valuable asset to the US.

  2. #182
    I don't blame people for being upset. I was really looking forward to a Romney presidency.

  3. #183
    Quote Originally Posted by Dakia View Post
    That people said that if Romney won they would move to Canada?

    Or that there are idiots on both sides of the US political spectrum?

    Do some Google searching or, in the second case, just use your common sense. It isn't that hard you know.
    Yeah, but what's the point of saying those things?

  4. #184
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasierith View Post
    This is about as facetious as saying that Democrats would rampage and burn down the White House if Romney was elected. I'm sure you could find plenty of random people to agree to a random petition, but hey.... over a thousand Chicago residents once petitioned to ban dihydrogen monoxide once, so we know petitions represent key intellectuals within the country!
    WTF they were trying to ban water ?!?!?!

  5. #185
    High Overlord Valexie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    117
    Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    Secession is illegal, and failed in 1860.
    Yes, it's "illegal" to succeed from the union, however when a state openly rebels I don't think they really care about the laws of the parent nation. As for the Civil War, things are so far different now then they where now using it as a benchmark provides highly inaccurate data in my opinion.

  6. #186
    Bloodsail Admiral Decagon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Unfortunately, Central Utah
    Posts
    1,099
    Quote Originally Posted by daftone View Post
    Every state has the right to leave the union. Its written in the constitution.

    We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.

    That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed,

    That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it,and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness.
    I'm pretty sure that was the Declaration of Independence. Even if this was law, the Form of Government would have to "become destructive of these ends (the rights specified above)." No one in their right mind would believe that the U.S. is currently destructive of these rights, so I don't see how it could be legal for Texas to leave the U.S. peacefully or no based on this document.
    Quote Originally Posted by Asmekiel View Post
    "And nothing was ever heard from Deca again"

  7. #187
    Quote Originally Posted by Decagon View Post
    Texas wouldnt leave because they would never get the international backing for any foreign trade. It doesnt need to come to war any longer when you can be completely locked out of even being able to port a ship or fly a plane through foreign airspace to shut down foreign trade. Eventually, Texas would beg to be let back in as a state.

    As for needing the natural resources from Texas, ask the middle east what happens over oil.

  8. #188
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    Do we have to? Can't we just let them go and tell them to take the rest of the South with them?
    if the north could do without the south the civil war would never have happened. yankees needed our crops, slaves and natural resources and considering the economic crisis is directly related to the 'art of moving money around', which cities like NYC are built on, you'd really be in some shit

  9. #189
    Fluffy Kitten
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    5,167
    Quote Originally Posted by Raybourne View Post
    Yeah, but what's the point of saying those things?
    A counter point to statements that fail to look at both sides of the equation.

  10. #190
    Man I feel like there needs to be a link to "angry white people mourning romney's loss" in here.
    "If you want to control people, if you want to feed them a pack of lies and dominate them, keep them ignorant. For me, literacy means freedom." - LaVar Burton.

  11. #191
    Fluffy Kitten
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    5,167
    Quote Originally Posted by Vizardlorde View Post
    WTF they were trying to ban water ?!?!?!
    Yeah, that video was kinda funny. People are sheep. What!?!?! That sounds complicated and ominous! I must be against it! What were we talking about again?

  12. #192
    Bloodsail Admiral Decagon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Unfortunately, Central Utah
    Posts
    1,099
    Quote Originally Posted by Gsara View Post
    Texas wouldnt leave because they would never get the international backing for any foreign trade. It doesnt need to come to war any longer when you can be completely locked out of even being able to port a ship or fly a plane through foreign airspace to shut down foreign trade. Eventually, Texas would beg to be let back in as a state.

    As for needing the natural resources from Texas, ask the middle east what happens over oil.
    Yeah, you're probably right, but assuming that somehow Texas was financially sound and was prosperous while still refusing to rejoin the rest of the states, the U.S. likely wouldn't hesitate to use force.

    ---------- Post added 2012-11-11 at 05:34 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by moogogaipan View Post
    Man I feel like there needs to be a link to "angry white people mourning romney's loss" in here.
    I have a feeling that would result in a lot of flaming, many people getting infracted, and the thread being closed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Asmekiel View Post
    "And nothing was ever heard from Deca again"

  13. #193
    Quote Originally Posted by Decagon View Post
    Yeah, you're probably right, but assuming that somehow Texas was financially sound and was prosperous while still refusing to rejoin the rest of the states, the U.S. likely wouldn't hesitate to use force.
    it wouldn't be possible to be prosperous though. go lock yourself in your room and never leave and tell me how that goes. that's how secession would be and at best, we start another civil war

  14. #194
    Quote Originally Posted by Decagon View Post
    I'm pretty sure that was the Declaration of Independence. Even if this was law, the Form of Government would have to "become destructive of these ends (the rights specified above)." No one in their right mind would believe that the U.S. is currently destructive of these rights, so I don't see how it could be legal for Texas to leave the U.S. peacefully or no based on this document.
    It wasn't legal for the U.S. to leave great britain based on this document but they did it. Legals just a word. For instance it wasn't legal for obama to run for president as his father was never a citizen but he did it twice.

  15. #195
    Brewmaster Xisa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    1,388
    Quick history lesson:

    The South lost the Civil War simply because they didn't have the resources to fight anything beyond a guerilla-style war in their own Territories. As the years of the war went on, the South was getting ravaged, and wanted to open up trade to Europe to bolster their own resources. The assault on the Union (i.e. Gettysburg) was an attempt to show Europe that they were to be taken seriously as a Nation-state, and were powerful enough to fight the conflict on their own terms. They wanted Europe to think they could win, so that opening trade with the Confederacy would be worth alienating the United States.

    History shows that they couldn't, they didn't, and they failed.

    150 years later, the same is still true. Any new Civil War would fail for the exact same reason.

  16. #196
    Fluffy Kitten
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    5,167
    Quote Originally Posted by daftone View Post
    It wasn't legal for the U.S. to leave great britain based on this document but they did it. Legals just a word. For instance it wasn't legal for obama to run for president as his father was never a citizen but he did it twice.
    Seriously, just stop already with the conspiracies.

  17. #197
    Bloodsail Admiral Decagon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Unfortunately, Central Utah
    Posts
    1,099
    Quote Originally Posted by fizzbob View Post
    it wouldn't be possible to be prosperous though. go lock yourself in your room and never leave and tell me how that goes. that's how secession would be and at best, we start another civil war
    I'm not denying that it wouldn't be prosperous. I was mostly just saying how I think it likely happen assuming that a situation in which Texas became a prosperous independent country, as in, just a hypothetical situation, sorry for not being entirely clear on that and causing confusing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Asmekiel View Post
    "And nothing was ever heard from Deca again"

  18. #198
    Quote Originally Posted by Dakia View Post
    Seriously, just stop already with the conspiracies.
    Its not just a conspiracy, he is also getting his absolute facts mixed up. It doesnt matter if your parents are citizens are not. Only if YOU YOURSELF are a natural born citizen, which he is.

  19. #199
    Stood in the Fire Lockndrop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    417
    If any state decided to succeed it would be silenced and more then likely the citizens who wanted to succeed would be killed because of shelling or trialed for treason against the united states. And to be quite frank it would be stupid for texas to succeed. they need the federal government a lot more then they think.

    www.twitch.tv/shuffled_gs[/url] come watch

  20. #200
    Quote Originally Posted by Dakia View Post
    A counter point to statements that fail to look at both sides of the equation.
    Which would be ignorant to the amounts on each side and which are really significant.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •