Page 49 of 59 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by artemishunter1 View Post
    Calling it Positive outcome will be too much of stretch. Since, without him the power vacuum has resulted. Corrupt officials are filling the posts of power. More deaths than Saddam was doing anyway. I suppose you can call it a positive outcome from idealized or moral point of view as we brought down a tyrant. But you would have to ignore we are not white knights either.
    I've read, and seen documentations that went to the bottom of this whole thing...
    One can look at it from two angles.
    First angle is, Saddam was a tyrant, and deserved to be taken out of power, as well as he deserved to pay for his crimes.
    Second angle is a tad more difficult... Iraq has a tremendously long history. It's not called the cradle of civilization for no reason.
    They went through lots of stages within their history and culture. That plays a big part in the difficulty westerners face when they try to bring them their western culture. You can't simply disregard 4000+ years of culture and history just like that.
    Additionally the country has for ages territories ran by different tribes. Those tribes aren't getting along very well, or at times not at all.
    The results of it is bloodshed. Killing each other over power was a daily given. Until Saddam came and took power.
    He ruled with an iron fist, if we want to call it that. He forced inner peace, if necessary with brutal force. Any tribe that did not obey was taught a lesson.
    We certainly don't approve of his methods. We see him as a murderer of innocent people. And we may very well be right.
    But many in Iraq seen him as a protector. Now that he is gone, the situation is as it was before he came to power.
    The doors are wide open for everything to start all over again.
    How to change that? No idea.... Not with the approach we've had so far. Since that apparently doesn't work.

So from there.. Looking at both sides of the story.. Was it a good outcome? Was it even good to remove him?
    From my western cultural influenced views I have to say yes. From the attempt of a neutral standpoint, I have to say I don't know.

If Texas leaves the Union, it will be annexed by Mexico within a year. Is that really what you want, Texans?

Quote Originally Posted by LuminousAether View Post
    If Texas leaves the Union, it will be annexed by DRUG CARTELS within a year. Is that really what you want, Texans?
    this sounds more like it

If Texas leaves the Union, it will be annexed by Mexico within a year. Is that really what you want, Texans?
    Texas won't leave the union, but even if it did, Mexico isn't exactly the type of country to want to annex anything anymore. It's just not their style, even if their military was a match for what Texas could muster.
    Well 1, 2, 3, take my hand and come with me
    Because you look so fine
    And I really wanna make you mine

Quote Originally Posted by SirRobin View Post
    Or is this like the unbiased cell phone claim that, of course, must be entirely "accurate."
    Internet chatter claiming that Obama gave cell phones to welfare recipients contained a tiny grain of truth.

Tiny grain of truth? Do they get cell phones or not? PoLOLitico at its finest.

Stay serious here lol.

What if texas took over mexico? Im sure the people wouldnt mind since they all wanna move to texas anyways. Win win for the mexican people. Lose lose for the cartels and corrupt elected officials.

Quote Originally Posted by chadwix View Post
    Internet chatter claiming that Obama gave cell phones to welfare recipients contained a tiny grain of truth.

Obama did not give cell phones to anyone but his kids. Cell phones were handed out as an attempt to help people find jobs. These people needed help, not play angry bird, but to help find jobs. What Obama did push was veteran job assistance bill, which never even made it for him to find jobs. It seems like we want government to help with jobs, but when they do try, be it cell phones or veteran assistance, there is a blockade.

What if texas took over mexico? Im sure the people wouldnt mind since they all wanna move to texas anyways. Win win for the mexican people. Lose lose for the cartels and corrupt elected officials.
    I think you underestimate Mexican nationalism.
    Well 1, 2, 3, take my hand and come with me
    Because you look so fine
    And I really wanna make you mine

Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    I think you underestimate Mexican nationalism.
    i think he also underestimates cartels. these days they specialize in devastating small countries

Imigrants come to America, not Texas. They want to come here because of what America is, not what Texas will become. Ellis Island and statue of liberty is not in Texas, neither is Plymouth.

whats so unclear about that?

You don't even have to read the whole thing extensively to stumble into the lifeline program:
    Lifeline was created in 1985 and expanded in 2008 during the Bush administration to include cell phone service. An FCC spokeswoman told PolitiFact in 2009 that the 1996 Telecommunications Act required the FCC to create the Universal Service Fund, a pool of money subsidized by small charges on phone bills and redistributed to low-income service programs, as well as programs that bring telecommunications services to rural areas and schools.
    Following that it was then the Obama Admin who actually fixed it..
    In early 2012, the FCC implemented changes to Lifeline aimed at modernizing the program and eliminating fraud and waste. One goal: ensuring availability of broadband for all low-income Americans.
    So there you have it... No truth twisting. and the grain of truth = in relation to the myth that says Obama gives everyone on welfare a free phone..

Here is the rest of it. "The federal government does have a program to subsidize phone service for low-income people. That program, though, existed long before Obama became president."
    Sir Robin, the Not-Quite-So-Brave-As-Sir-Lancelot.
    Who had nearly fought the Dragon of Angnor.
    Who had almost stood up to the vicious Chicken of Bristol.
    And who had personally wet himself, at the Battle of Badon Hill.

In Thrall's loving embrace, all hail ThrallChrist.
    Quote Originally Posted by Defengar View Post
    It has, but not in a looooong time. Last time we seriously tried was with Castro, and somehow he managed to not get snagged by any of the numerous attempts the CIA made on his life in the 60's, and early 70's. The CIA was officially banned from such practices in the 70's as well.
    Really:

Just going to start at 1900 and list them all. (many of these where not official by the US government but many where paid for by US Business ventures)

1908 Venezuela
    1910 Portugal
    1917 Costa Rica
    1920 Russia
    1921 Iran
    1922 Italy
    1923 Spain
    1930 Argentina
    1932 Thailand, Chile
    1933 Uruguay, USA (failed)
    1934 Germany
    1936 China

(WW2 lots of stuff, Iran, Iraq, Bolivia, British Palestine, All of North Africa, Most of Asia, All of South America)
    Cold War :
    Not going to bother listing by year but by nation because the US would change out dictators every few years.

Iran, Iraq, Libya, Nigeria, Rhodesia, Afghanistan, Syria, Lebanon, Bolivia, Columbia, Cuba, Vietnam, Mexico, Pakistan, Laos, Cambodia, Guatemala, Panama, Chile,... basically any nation that was able to help America place the Stop communism game.

Much of the reason the Arabs Hate American and Israel has to do with the cold war dictators we put in power. Oh and when the cold war ended, we kept doing it. In fact we haven't stopped.

Quote Originally Posted by SirRobin View Post
    Here is the rest of it. "The federal government does have a program to subsidize phone service for low-income people. That program, though, existed long before Obama became president."
    So your saying the "Our ruling" is inaccurate?

Internet chatter claiming that Obama gave cell phones to welfare recipients contained a tiny grain of truth: The federal government does have a program to subsidize phone service for low-income people. That program, though, existed long before Obama became president.

So obama is president and people on welfare/low income qualify for a free cell phone but the original statement only contains a tiny grain of truth? Just saying, if they cant understand this they really shouldnt be checking facts.

In Thrall's loving embrace, all hail ThrallChrist.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    Texas won't leave the union, but even if it did, Mexico isn't exactly the type of country to want to annex anything anymore. It's just not their style, even if their military was a match for what Texas could muster.
    Lol, the Cartels have a bigger military than the Mexican government. Granted I would buy a TV just to watch the live coverage of the Texas vs Mexico war. it would be a LOL fest, tell me it wouldn't be epic.

So your saying the "Our ruling" is inaccurate?

Internet chatter claiming that Obama gave cell phones to welfare recipients contained a tiny grain of truth: The federal government does have a program to subsidize phone service for low-income people. That program, though, existed long before Obama became president.

So obama is president and people on welfare/low income qualify for a free cell phone but the original statement only contains a tiny grain of truth? Just saying, if they cant understand this they really shouldnt be checking facts.
    it is you who doesn't understand...
    Sorry, but we've shown you... If you can't comprehend simple facts and aren't capable to put them in perspective with a false claim then we cannot help you.

Yes, because it would take an executive order to end such a program without congress first voting to put it before him. To blame Obama, is to complain that Obama did not over extend his power as president.

Quote Originally Posted by Felya420 View Post
    Yes, because it would take an executive order to end such a program without congress first voting to put it before him. To blame Obama, is to complain that Obama did not over extend his power as president.
    What about relaxing the work requirement (looking for a job, having a job, etc) to receive these benefits?

What about relaxing the work requirement (looking for a job, having a job, etc) to receive these benefits?
    Oh, you mean that thing Romney wanted the flexibility to do when he was a Governor?
    Quote Originally Posted by Gheld View Post
    If anybody is thinking of buying me a gift I would much rather they just donate that money to charity instead.
    Maybe I'm having a stroke.
    Poutine.