Page 8 of 59 FirstFirst ...
6
7
8
9
10
18
58
... LastLast
  1. #141
    "The United States Supreme Court ruled unilateral secession unconstitutional while commenting that revolution or consent of the states could lead to a successful secession."

    So while it is unconstitutional if the rest of the states agreed to let Texas go, they could do it peacefully. If it was a revolution and people were harmed the US military would have to step in.

  2. #142
    Legendary! Tommo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    6,515
    Quote Originally Posted by Decagon View Post
    You sit here and complain that we're being moody while you do nothing but insult us and provide little to no insight on your views and any constructive comments.
    Wasnt really talking / referring to you. So forgive me if I completely missed your point.

  3. #143
    Fluffy Kitten
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    5,168
    Quote Originally Posted by peggleftw View Post
    i always find it funny when people in the US say that if Obama wins they are going to leave the country. where are they going to exactly?
    Those statements were also being said by people in the event that Romney won.

    Long story short: People on both sides are idiots and overreact.

  4. #144
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    So is this the place where all non texans think texans are all the same and that we're a bunch of ignorant baffoons?

    Because contrary to what people think, Texas is actually pretty diverse in our thinking, especially in the big cities like Dallas, Houston, Austin, ect. The more rural you get, the more of the typical texan stereotype you'll find. Also quite a lot of us dislike our Gov Hair and keep trying to vote him out.

    So please, stop acting like Texas is the great evil state when its not just because most of our politicians are stupid as hell.
    Well, there is the small matter of how those politicians got elected in the first place.

    OTOH, I present... Margaret Thatcher. Ouch.

  5. #145
    Quote Originally Posted by Dakia View Post
    Those statements were also being said by people in the event that Romney won.

    Long story short: People on both sides are idiots and overreact.
    It's a false equivalency, don't fall into that trap.

  6. #146
    Quote Originally Posted by Dakia View Post
    Those statements were also being said by people in the event that Romney won.

    Long story short: People on both sides are idiots and overreact.
    I jokingly posted on FB that if Romney won I would move to Japan. People WAY overreacted. It seems like the internet has taken away people's ability to take a joke.

  7. #147
    Quote Originally Posted by ContentsMayVary View Post
    Well, there is the small matter of how those politicians got elected in the first place.

    OTOH, I present... Margaret Thatcher. Ouch.
    Gerrymandering and people not realizing THIER politicians are the problem while thinking everyone elses is the problem.

  8. #148
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    So is this the place where all non texans think texans are all the same and that we're a bunch of ignorant baffoons?

    Because contrary to what people think, Texas is actually pretty diverse in our thinking, especially in the big cities like Dallas, Houston, Austin, ect. The more rural you get, the more of the typical texan stereotype you'll find. Also quite a lot of us dislike our Gov Hair and keep trying to vote him out.

    So please, stop acting like Texas is the great evil state when its not just because most of our politicians are stupid as hell.
    It's obvious not everyone in texas is insane. Yet when people vote for and allow politicians to go so far as to make it law that Texas has to have "special" school text books? It's hard to have a lot of respect for the state as a whole.

  9. #149
    The Insane peggleftw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Surrey, England
    Posts
    16,125
    Quote Originally Posted by Dakia View Post
    Those statements were also being said by people in the event that Romney won.

    Long story short: People on both sides are idiots and overreact.

    difference is though, if Romney won, its not hard to find a more left wing country than US, but you are going to have a hard time finding a more right wing country than US other than middle east.i know 99% of the time its empty threats, but still makes me laugh.
    Too cool for a signature

  10. #150
    Fluffy Kitten
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    5,168
    Quote Originally Posted by Raybourne View Post
    It's a false equivalency, don't fall into that trap.
    I don't get what is wrong with stating that something happened, when in fact it did.

    The second statement is also true.

    I find it slightly comical that everyone seems to be either taking their logic courses in college right now or trying to emulate Wells.

  11. #151
    This reminds me a lot of a kick vote in LFR. No one really knows whats going on, they just click kick because it popped up on their screen. I would support almost all of those states leaving the union though. When they threaten to leave it is like when the crappiest player on your team threatens to leave; no one cares and it is actually preferable. Its not like anyone is like "oh noes, please dont leave the union Louisiana. Where will I get my TV shows about people who kill alligators and rats for a living?" I think it would be amazing how fast the US improves by removing that kind of archaic, racist, fundamentalist thinking from the union. The best part would be watching those states struggle to create a military to defend themselves before Mexico invaded and took them over. I mean really, who would come to their military aid, the US? LOL.

  12. #152
    The Lightbringer Seezer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Capua
    Posts
    3,814
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozenbeef View Post
    People are quick to blame obama/ bush for the failed economy problem for the last few years, but forget that the rest of the world are suffering the exact same problem -.-
    This. /10 chars
    "1 in 4 Americans are skeptical on climate change...who gives a shit? That doesn't matter. You don't need other people's opinions on a fact. You may as well have a poll asking: Which number is bigger? 5 or 15? Do Owls exist? Are there hats?"

  13. #153
    I am Murloc! Fenixdown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    5,925
    Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    Thoughts? Secession is illegal, and failed in 1860. This is crap brought to you by malcontent whiners and nothing more.
    Actually, Texas is the only state in the U.S. who maintains the legal right to secede from the union. The reason is because Texas was an independent nation before joining the United States.

    You should do some history research before looking silly.

  14. #154
    Quote Originally Posted by Luuth View Post
    I think it would be amazing how fast the US improves by removing that kind of archaic, racist, fundamentalist thinking from the union. The best part would be watching those states struggle to create a military to defend themselves before Mexico invaded and took them over. I mean really, who would come to their military aid, the US? LOL.
    Apparently you overlooked the fact that most of the military post/bases are in the southern part of the US. What happens when they decide to go and take the bases and equipment with them? Not sure if you are old enough to remember the cold war but during the 70's/80's the upper Midwest would have been the 3rd largest nuclear power in the world had they decided to leave the union.

  15. #155
    I think it's funny that people would go nuts if a religious figure ran for president. LIke a Cardinal, Rabbi or whatever ( esp a leader of a religion not their own)... BUT they were all ok with the white choice being a bishop in his religion.. LOL


    I notice most of the people who think the world is going to end are the people who think the babyboomers still have both hands on the wheel. That is not the case. Deal with it.
    "If you want to control people, if you want to feed them a pack of lies and dominate them, keep them ignorant. For me, literacy means freedom." - LaVar Burton.

  16. #156
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenixdown View Post
    Actually, Texas is the only state in the U.S. who maintains the legal right to secede from the union. The reason is because Texas was an independent nation before joining the United States.

    You should do some history research before looking silly.
    "The Republic of Texas successfully seceded from Mexico in 1836. Mexico refused to recognize Texas as an independent country, but the major nations of the world did. In 1845, Congress admitted Texas as a state. Contrary to popular myths, the documents governing Texas' accession to the United States of America do not mention any right of secession—although they did raise the possibility of dividing Texas into multiple states inside the Union. Mexico warned that annexation meant war and the Mexican–American War followed in 1846."

    So you are both kind of half right.

    http://books.google.com/books?id=mMo...page&q&f=false
    Last edited by Atamus; 2012-11-11 at 11:44 PM. Reason: bolding

  17. #157
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Gerrymandering and people not realizing THIER politicians are the problem while thinking everyone elses is the problem.
    Shhhh don't pop the, "it's not me it's the other guy who has the problem" bubble.
    "If you want to control people, if you want to feed them a pack of lies and dominate them, keep them ignorant. For me, literacy means freedom." - LaVar Burton.

  18. #158
    Stood in the Fire Rommon64's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    St. John's, Newfoundland, Canada
    Posts
    377
    Quote Originally Posted by Puckman637 View Post
    Apparently you overlooked the fact that most of the military post/bases are in the southern part of the US. What happens when they decide to go and take the bases and equipment with them? Not sure if you are old enough to remember the cold war but during the 70's/80's the upper Midwest would have been the 3rd largest nuclear power in the world had they decided to leave the union.
    Honest question, would the Union allow them to keep said materiels? Even if they did, wouldn't they lose all the funds they would have normally gotten from the federal government to maintain said bases?
    Wiping is Fun! ™

  19. #159
    Quote Originally Posted by Xeones View Post
    Do you really think a state like Texas cares about the UN?
    Come on now.
    "If you want to control people, if you want to feed them a pack of lies and dominate them, keep them ignorant. For me, literacy means freedom." - LaVar Burton.

  20. #160
    Pandaren Monk Klutzington's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    'Murrica, of course.
    Posts
    1,920
    Quote Originally Posted by Jshadow View Post
    ye, but he's the only INFLUENCIAL force and he's brough US downhill even further than Bush did
    you of all people should recognise that, you're a Ron Paul supporter
    Less than fifteen posts in and you already derailed the thread.

    OT: Texas won't leave the U.S.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •