Page 1 of 59
... LastLast
    Deleted

Exclamation USA falling apart?

The Texas petition reads as follows:

The US continues to suffer economic difficulties stemming from the federal government’s neglect to reform domestic and foreign spending. The citizens of the US suffer from blatant abuses of their rights such as the NDAA, the TSA, etc. Given that the state of Texas maintains a balanced budget and is the 15th largest economy in the world, it is practically feasible for Texas to withdraw from the union, and to do so would protect it’s citizens’ standard of living and re-secure their rights and liberties in accordance with the original ideas and beliefs of our founding fathers which are no longer being reflected by the federal government.

As of 12:46 am, Sunday, signatures obtained by Louisiana, 7,358; Texas, 3,771; Florida, 636; Georgia, 475; Alabama, 834; North Carolina, 792; Kentucky, 467; Mississippi, 475; Indiana, 449; North Dakota, 162; Montana, 440; Colorado, 324; Oregon, 328; New Jersey, 301 and New York, 169. Many more States are expected to follow.

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petitions
    So with Obama's victory, people had enough sh17, since they're expecting things to go down hill even more.
    US is falling apart.

Your thoughts?

No, our president might be worthless, but he's not the only political force in the nation. The US is not going "downhill."

10+ Year Old Account
    Thoughts? Secession is illegal, and failed in 1860. This is crap brought to you by malcontent whiners and nothing more.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    So, what, some 20,000 people don't like the way the government is going? Oh by gosh that's a lot of people. I mean there's only 310 million people in the USA, I mean that's what, .006% of the country? Clearly the country is falling apart!
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

Can I sign a thing that kicks Texas out?

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

I find it funny a state who's claim to fame is a battle they lost before lunch time (the Alamo) thinks they are going to secede from the union.

On a serious note though, I think people are over reacting to Obama's reelection.

Will always be some that dont like how things are going.

So to answer you're question ... no not more then normal.

10+ Year Old Account
    This is about as facetious as saying that Democrats would rampage and burn down the White House if Romney was elected. I'm sure you could find plenty of random people to agree to a random petition, but hey.... over a thousand Chicago residents once petitioned to ban dihydrogen monoxide once, so we know petitions represent key intellectuals within the country!

If Texas secedes, the military rolls in and stomps them. I think that's the only thing causing them to stay their hand.

I would personally be perfectly happy with the USA being dismantled and becoming independent nations or blocs, but Obama will roll the tanks out and stop it. At least the governors of some states have power in their field.

10+ Year Old Account
    The whole 'Texas is allowed to leave' thing is a myth. It has no more right in this regard than any other state.
    Wiping is Fun! ™

Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    Thoughts? Secession is illegal, and failed in 1860. This is crap brought to you by malcontent whiners and nothing more.
    Smoking pot is illegal too.... yet 2 states just passed laws.. your point is invalid.
    No man really becomes a fool until he stops asking questions.

Quote Originally Posted by LilSaihah View Post
    If Texas secedes, the military rolls in and stomps them.
    Do we have to? Can't we just let them go and tell them to take the rest of the South with them?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Linkedblade View Post
    No, our president might be worthless, but he's not the only political force in the nation. The US is not going "downhill."
    ye, but he's the only INFLUENCIAL force and he's brough US downhill even further than Bush did
    you of all people should recognise that, you're a Ron Paul supporter

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    Do we have to? Can't we just let them go and tell them to take the rest of the South with them?
    This might be the better option. We'd save federal tax dollars.
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    Really? I dont think its illegal. States have the right to leave the US. Why wouldnt they? If Texas believes that its better for them to leave then they should. I as a resident of Virginia dont care, and wouldnt care if Virginia decided to leave.

Quote Originally Posted by LilSaihah View Post
    If Texas secedes, the military rolls in and stomps them. I think that's the only thing causing them to stay their hand.

I would personally be perfectly happy with the USA being dismantled and becoming independent nations or blocs, but Obama will roll the tanks out and stop it. At least the governors of some states have power in their field.
    What grounds the the US military have to attack Texas if it secedes?

The reason states wont secede has nothing to do with the US military, it has to do with not only a lot of laws that are going to have to change, as well as politicians at the top spots are not going to allow their own state to leave.

In a country that was founded on becoming independent it would be hypocritical to not let states secede.
    Last edited by Zeek Daniels; 2012-11-11 at 10:01 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeek Daniels View Post
    Really? I dont think its illegal. States have the right to leave the US. Why wouldnt they? If Texas believes that its better for them to leave then they should. I as a resident of Virginia dont care, and wouldnt care if Virginia decided to leave.
    Where do you see that states are allowed to secede from the US?

Are you unfamiliar with the Civil War?

10+ Year Old Account
    Texas v. White. The Court found that secession was illegal as according to the Articles of Confederation the Union was intended to be 'perpetual' i.e. one way. The only mechanism by which a state could possible secede is with consent of the several states (i.e. agreement in both houses of Congress) in a similar procedure for the admission of a state.

Lol good luck with that, not saying I'm against it but seceding from the US is next to impossible at this stage and is simply not realistic. You'd have a better chance of moving to a different country that's more in line with your views than working towards secession.

As for the country falling apart, I wouldn't say we're falling apart but rather just behind the curve in terms of progress.
    Last edited by Killington; 2012-11-11 at 09:58 PM.

This is the same BS when certain states (think it was again Texas) said that they would leave the Union if Obama's healthcare law passed.

And I find it personally hypercritical to blame the Democrat for the mess caused by the former Texan governor, because lets be clear the policies of Bush where silly to begin with (trickle-down economics when starting 2 wars is stupid at best).