Page 2 of 59 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post
    So, what, some 20,000 people don't like the way the government is going? Oh by gosh that's a lot of people. I mean there's only 310 million people in the USA, I mean that's what, .006% of the country? Clearly the country is falling apart!
    This. The US has seen better days, but by no means do I think it's falling apart. Also if these people want to leave, they're free to pick up shop and immigrate to a place more in-line with their views/standards.

As far as the rest of the world cares. It's not another Bush.

Pretty soon people may actually be happy to see Americans do something instead of sighing then putting on a fake smile when you walk over.

It's just hard to see America cry woe is me when a good man steps up to the plate after calling in a superstar idiot for 2 terms.

If blown out of proportion economic woes are the worst of your problems you should be happy.

It's kinda amusing seeing americans run around all silly shouting doomsday over these issues.

Borrowing money from schools isn't maintaining a balanced budget.

Quote Originally Posted by LilSaihah View Post
    If Texas secedes, the military rolls in and stomps them. I think that's the only thing causing them to stay their hand.

I would personally be perfectly happy with the USA being dismantled and becoming independent nations or blocs, but Obama will roll the tanks out and stop it. At least the governors of some states have power in their field.
    a rather large portion of the military is from texas, I don't have numbers but from what I understand its more then any other state, getting the military to stomp them if they decide to secede would be complicated.
    thankfully we aren't really looking to secede, its just some folks trolling for attention
    Proud member of the zero infraction club (lets see how long this can last =)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasierith View Post
    Where do you see that states are allowed to secede from the US?
    10th Amendment

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by goobernoob View Post
    a rather large portion of the military is from texas, I don't have numbers but from what I understand its more then any other state, getting the military to stomp them if they decide to secede would be complicated.
    thankfully we aren't really looking to secede, its just some folks trolling for attention
    Not particularly. Depending on how many hold the Union as more important than a new Texan republic.

But as said, it might be beneficial if Texas and the other Southern states seceded. It would certainly save a lot of federal tax dollars.

---------- Post added 2012-11-11 at 02:23 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by vastx View Post
    10th Amendment
    Please. The Amendment That Never Was is hardly valid.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Jshadow View Post
    So with Obama's victory, people had enough sh17, since they're expecting things to go down hill even more.
    US is falling apart.

Your thoughts?
    The NDAA and TSA are shit.

Taxes will be going up on the top 2%, so our fiscal cliff will be averted.

The US is going fucking nowhere and it's a pipe dream of US haters to think that.

Do no conservatives realize that congress has been republican this whole time, and that congress holds the money bags?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Raybourne View Post
    Do no conservatives realize that congress has been republican this whole time, and that congress holds the money bags?
    The House has been Republican.
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Linkedblade View Post
    No, our president might be worthless, but he's not the only political force in the nation. The US is not going "downhill."
    http://www.google.com/publicdata/exp...oyment+rate+us
    Unemployment rate is improving at least.
    So I don't think the US is going downhill.

For now.

Personally, I don't care if it does. I don't have much in common socially or politically with most Americans and the ideas that they value.

I feel that religion is a scourge upon mankind. Lol, republicans!
    I don't believe in affirmative action. It's not "reverse-racism". It is racism. Lol, democrats!
    I don't support the Patriot act / TSA. LOL, both parties.
    Gitmo? It's not torture, when we do it!

Quote Originally Posted by Laize View Post
    The NDAA and TSA are shit.

Taxes will be going up on the top 2%, so our fiscal cliff will be averted.

The US is going fucking nowhere and it's a pipe dream of US haters to think that.
    That just about covers it.

The President writes the budget.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    Not particularly. Depending on how many hold the Union as more important than a new Texan republic.

But as said, it might be beneficial if Texas and the other Southern states seceded. It would certainly save a lot of federal tax dollars.

Spoken like statist. It's entirely valid. The federal government's powers are enumerated. Why do some people want a far reaching central government?

---------- Post added 2012-11-11 at 06:27 PM ----------

Senate and executive have to approve.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by vastx View Post
    Spoken like statist. It's entirely valid. The federal government's powers are enumerated. Why do some people want a far reaching central government?
    The 10th Amendment has very rarely cropped up in terms of Federal rulings, because by and large the federal governments actions tend to be in line with its enumerated or implied powers. As regards secession, the Founders stated that the Union is 'perpetual'; implying one-way.

Because a far reaching government is an effective government. I'm a history major, and am all too aware of the failings of a government too hampered in its abilities.

Doesn't texas provide you with an immense amount of oil?

10+ Year Old Account
    Such can be leveraged through corporate influence in a mercantile style.

You're insane. Texas is the second biggest economy in the Union and the biggest economy that isn't going bankrupt. They're a technology giant in the world. I propose we just get rid of Alabama. Sell it to Mexico or some shit for laughs.

The fact that it's an Amendment to the Constitution should speak to its validity... if that doesn't, I'm not sure what test you would use before you called it "valid".

Unlike the general welfare clause, which is a single sentence in the Constitution but liberals love to shriek about every time something is claimed unconstitutional.

10+ Year Old Account
    Tin foil hat time children! Do all Americans hate there leaders this much?

WHEN POSTING...
    ...keep in mind the post contents/subjects that are not allowed:

• Nationalism and nation bashing
    • Conspiracies
    Why is the thread still opened? And yes you can bash your own Nation which most people here are doing.
    Last edited by Airwaves; 2012-11-11 at 10:34 PM.
    Aye mate

The net contribution to federal coffers from Texas is essentially neutral, if I recall correctly. It's better than the rest of the South, but we probably wouldn't miss it a whole lot.