Page 1 of 7
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Addiction To WOW

What do you all think about the main components of being addicted to wow are?

Not going to school, family functions, significant others?

Losing time of day?

Playing all night?

Any physical reactions when not playing?

Thoughts that you need to get back on?

I am curious to see what the community believes an addiction to WoW would be...

10+ Year Old Account
    Enjoying yourself is not an addiction, the sooner people accept that the better

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mizzow View Post
    Yay, so I'm not addicted to weed, woohoo!

Playing eventhough its not fun <.<
    Pawzz, ArenaJunkies

Quote Originally Posted by wimbo125 View Post
    Yay, so I'm not addicted to weed, woohoo!
    >addicted to weed
    ok

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mizzow View Post

Right, I can understand where you are coming from, maybe you would not fall into the idea of addicted to WoW. Maybe you may just play the game leisurely. what defines this difference?

---------- Post added 2012-11-11 at 10:18 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by pawsz View Post
    Playing eventhough its not fun <.<

This is a very valid point! why play if it is not fun?

10+ Year Old Account
    <-- My toon.

Why I'm protective of him, especially with these damn healing changes.
    From the #1 Cata review on Amazon.com: "Blizzard's greatest misstep was blaming players instead of admitting their mistakes.
    They've convinced half of the population that the other half are unskilled whiners, causing a permanent rift in the community."

My addiction runs deep. I don't even want to play, but I read all the patch notes, troll the class forums for some theorycrafting, participate in a lot of theory crafting, and help all my old raiding guilds do their weekly post mortems for their raids...

Right now I'm just helping out my t13 ally guild until they can get a perm replacement for me.

The nice thing about wow is you dont even have to have an active sub to have a ton of fun with the game, especially if you're a math geek and/or programmer.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevyne-Shandris View Post
    <-- My toon.

Why I'm protective of him, especially with these damn healing changes.
    So you are protective of your character and therefore play him which constitutes an addiction to the character rather than the game? I am confused

---------- Post added 2012-11-11 at 10:23 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by reikoshea View Post
    My addiction runs deep. I don't even want to play, but I read all the patch notes, troll the class forums for some theorycrafting, participate in a lot of theory crafting, and help all my old raiding guilds do their weekly post mortems for their raids...

Right now I'm just helping out my t13 ally guild until they can get a perm replacement for me.

The nice thing about wow is you dont even have to have an active sub to have a ton of fun with the game, especially if you're a math geek and/or programmer.

But what draws you to WoW? Is it because it is fun? What elements do you like? I see raiding was one but may have become boring for you

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Paraloser View Post
    So you are protective of your character and therefore play him which constitutes an addiction to the character rather than the game? I am confused
    See my avatar? Deduct anything? Big hint: sub-class.
    From the #1 Cata review on Amazon.com: "Blizzard's greatest misstep was blaming players instead of admitting their mistakes.
    They've convinced half of the population that the other half are unskilled whiners, causing a permanent rift in the community."

To me, it's probably the fact that I don't rush through content so fast, and I take breaks every 4-5 months. What's fun about it? Just having a goal and accomplishing it.

10+ Year Old Account
    These ideas don't fall into the normal thinking of what an addiction is, it is so very interesting, and now I get it Kevyne

10+ Year Old Account
    Technically when you do something you enjoy neurotransmiters are released in your brain giving you that feel good feeling. Sometimes the act triggers that feel good feeling even though you technically don't enjoy the activity just the feeling from the conditioned response. It is possible to be addicted to anything in this way. I guess moderation is best.

I guess in a way I'm addicted. My high comes from normal raiding and working to perfect a routine to the point that you finish the encounter. The special shinies afterwards are of no consequence. xD

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by welcome2life View Post
    Technically when you do something you enjoy neurotransmiters are released in your brain giving you that feel good feeling. Sometimes the act triggers that feel good feeling even though you technically don't enjoy the activity just the feeling from the conditioned response. It is possible to be addicted to anything in this way. I guess moderation is best.

I guess in a way I'm addicted. My high comes from normal raiding and working to perfect a routine to the point that you finish the encounter. The special shinies afterwards are of no consequence. xD
    yeah the dopamine trajectory in the brain, Would you say that the loot helps to facilitate the want of finishing the encounter?

10+ Year Old Account
    These ideas don't fall into the normal thinking of what an addiction is, it is so very interesting, and now I get it Kevyne
    Came over from EQ2 having burned out, but not playing a paladin. Specced really deep in the paladin healing tree in EQ2 as often I pitched in to heal. Found out WoW actually has a dedicated paladin healer and came over. If it wasn't for the Holy paladin sub-class I'd have no reason to play WoW. Love the sub-class. Just have an WotLK 3.3.5 expansion server and I'd be golden.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevyne-Shandris View Post
    Came over from EQ2 having burned out, but not playing a paladin. Specced really deep in the paladin healing tree in EQ2 as often I pitched in to heal. Found out WoW actually has a dedicated paladin healer and came over. If it wasn't for the Holy paladin sub-class I'd have no reason to play WoW. Love the sub-class. Just have an WotLK 3.3.5 expansion server and I'd be golden.
    It sounds like you liked Wrath more than the current state. What draws you to the Holy Paladin sub-class? Ease of use? Love the challenge? Like the ability to survive?

10+ Year Old Account
    yeah the dopamine trajectory in the brain, Would you say that the loot helps to facilitate the want of finishing the encounter?
    I don't think so although it is very hard for one to analyze themselves unbiased. The healer team for my guild often passes on loot to each other or if we have comparable will let others take for offspec etc.

Deleted
    When whatever you are addicted to takes control of your life instead you of controlling that thing in your life. When that drug of choice becomes your God, though imo addiction is always just to be running from something.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by welcome2life View Post
    I don't think so although it is very hard for one to analyze themselves unbiased. The healer team for my guild often passes on loot to each other or if we have comparable will let others take for offspec etc.

So maybe more of a community thing with your guild?

---------- Post added 2012-11-11 at 10:50 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Tenver View Post
    When whatever you are addicted to takes control of your life instead you of controlling that thing in your life. When that drug of choice becomes your God, though imo addiction is always just to be running from something.
    I would tend to agree with drugs, but what about other addictions?

Deleted
    Addictions? Hah, addictions are nothing more than socially constructed phenomena resulting from the institutionalization of mental disorders!