Question Mage Profession Question!

K so i switch mains lastweek lost interest in my druid. anyways haven't played my mage hardcore since start of wrath so im just wondering whats some good proffesions for him and can also make good gold. he has inscrip,herb atm i was thinking of ditchin herb for tailoring. does this sound like a good idea?

no, tailoring doesn't make good gold
    inscription potentially can but currently is not on most realms
    gathering professions potential for gold is crushed because of the amount of bots flooding economies with herbs/ore although your server may be different.

Herbalism inscription is a pretty solid combo because you can mill your own herbs and make a darkmoon card every day which -generally- should be profitable.

Deleted
    Whatever you do, don't go with a gathering profession as the previous poster advices.
    Tailoring on the other hand is a good choice for a mage, and there's ways to make gold with it too.
    The best you could do is getting BS as it will give you +640crit which when you have decent gear is better than the +320int other professions provide.
    Optimal profession setup would be BS/tailoring or BS/engineering.

Quote Originally Posted by ciaro View Post
    Whatever you do, don't go with a gathering profession as the previous poster advices.
    Tailoring on the other hand is a good choice for a mage, and there's ways to make gold with it too.
    The best you could do is getting BS as it will give you +640crit which when you have decent gear is better than the +320int other professions provide.
    Optimal profession setup would be BS/tailoring or BS/engineering.
    While you are indeed correct, I inferred from the content of his post that he is a casual raider (and/or in a casual guild) and does not need to min/max profession bonuses. Herbalism isn't as bad as it used to be for pve and I would absolutely not drop both professions just for the negligible extra stats you'd get.

Deleted
    With tailoring you can create leg threads, which can be sold for a good amount of gold on the raid reset day (depending on your server raiding population)

Just don't forget to create your cloth every day.

Just with this a make 7k+ gold each week.

Inscription should give you all the gold you need, all on its own. While your mileage may vary based on server, just making a Darkmoon Card a day should be plenty profitable.

For pure fun factor, as well as min/max, Engineering simply can't be beat.

In theoretical max dps situation with prepot and pre evoc and alter time+ PoM, Engineering and tailoring are best I think, but BS with 640 crit rating is not a proc or /use so its allways there..