Interest in Rift

Now back in september '11 I remember playing the trials during WoW downtime, and I was slightly put off by the gameplay, although the new area seemed a refresher from WoW in terms of a new story, etc etc. As someone who's played all aspects, Ranged, healing, tanking and melee dps, what class combination is worth playing for someone extremely new to the game? I am aware there is a combination class thingamajigger.

What are raids like for Rift? Do they feel like WoW? I ask these things because its better to get a player's response rather than read an IGN review.
    "The ocean is a scary place. It's full of water and stuff."

Cleric is the class you want. It's the most straightforward and traditional class archetype. Clerics are also able to fill all roles viably; Tanking, DPS, Heal and Support.

Raids? Among the best in the genre. Every raid is a discrete instance.

Yes, Rift's raids feel like WoW's raids for the most part because both are spun off from Everquest. There is tanking, healing, DPS and control. Bosses have mechanics that are essentially puzzles. 50% execution, 50% logistics.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Cleric is the class you want. It's the most straightforward and traditional class archetype. Clerics are also able to fill all roles viably; Tanking, DPS, Heal and Support.

Yes, Rift's raids feel like WoW's raids for the most part because both are spun off from Everquest. There is tanking, healing, DPS and control. Bosses have mechanics that are essentially puzzles. 50% execution, 50% logistics.
    Fencers speaks the truth, prbly the best person to get questions answered by.
    I'm neither Pro or Anti Flying, I just have a different opinion on the matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post

I think you meant 'Support' instead of Control.....

toomanyrifts.blogspot.ca || A Gaming Blog

Quote Originally Posted by willowe View Post
    I think you meant 'Support' instead of Control.....
    I think Fencers was referring to the bosses mechanics needing you to have good control of the raid group and you're own character to avoid mechanics etc and being able to control adds. That sort of jazz.

Quote Originally Posted by Asacado View Post
    Now back in september '11 I remember playing the trials during WoW downtime, and I was slightly put off by the gameplay, although the new area seemed a refresher from WoW in terms of a new story, etc etc. As someone who's played all aspects, Ranged, healing, tanking and melee dps, what class combination is worth playing for someone extremely new to the game? I am aware there is a combination class thingamajigger.

What are raids like for Rift? Do they feel like WoW? I ask these things because its better to get a player's response rather than read an IGN review.
    Heya just thought I would chuck in a answer from my personal perspective!

There is SO much variety each of the 4 main classes - Rogue, Warrior, Cleric and Mage will have 9 Souls come tommorow with the xpac (up for 8), You can mix and match these 'souls' to create pretty much whatever you want, there is bound to be some crazy combination of souls out there you fall in love with.

I play a mage in the currently ranked 'top' raiding guild in RIFT, I play a Mage and I make main use of the 'Chloromancer' soul, Chloromancer is a healing soul that is very unique, the basics of it is that when you deal damage, that damage is transferred into healing on the group/raid, You then have 2 viels, one for AOE and one for ST, which you can use with an ability called Synthesis to redirect heals during the course of the fight (for example if the tank is taking heavy damage and needs a bit more healing, you can slap that on him). There's also a lot more to it, but I wont go into to much detail

Raiding in RIFT is a LOT better than in current WOW, in my personal opinion and pretty much everyone that I've met who has played RIFT endgame, at the moment it has a very TBC feel to it as in its current state known as 'Chocolate RIFT' and continuing on in Storm Legion to the best of my knowledge there is a progression path where you have to work through the previous tier of content, to gain the gear and then move up to the next tier and so forth and there are guilds at all levels of raiding doing different raids, so its been a very nice mix and its a very satisifing feel of progression, I've got a couple of videos on my channel regarding RIFT instanced raiding, I'll share this one with you.

I don't know how far you got when you played back in sept, but the zone event system has REALLY REALLY advanced, some of the Zone events and outdoor world bosses in Storm Legion are absolutely amazing, below is a video of volan, which is a zone event dedicated to fighting this absolute 'beast', you have to start of breaking his armour piece by piece and then work at getting rid of his tail, before you go onto disabling his pylons of energy on his back, then go onto removing the final pieces of plating he has on and then bringing the beast down himself, its an absolutely EPIC fight, so I suggest you check it out!, But the epic-ness with Zone events does not stop there, there is also another event which starts of fairly standard close X rifts and kill Y invasions, but at the end of it the final boss is on a 'cheese grater' type platform in the sky and you have to collect orbs of power to be shot up and then battle the boss in the air, while trying not to fall off, unfortuantely I don't have any footage of this at this current point in time, but these are all outdoor events that can happen at anytime!

Anyways, hope you enjoy and if you tell me what classes/specs you've enjoyed in previous games, I can probably point you in the right direction with chosing a class ^^
    My Youtube Channel for RIFT Guides/Endgame Gameplay - http://www.youtube.com/user/Seatinmanoflegends

after 6 years of wow, i've grown tired of it, and am now having a blast in Rift. Currently playing a warrior, but thinking about switching to mage, cuz it seems more my style, dunno. The ingame community is btw SO MUCH nicer and more helpful than in wow...

Quote Originally Posted by flavie View Post
    after 6 years of wow, i've grown tired of it, and am now having a blast in Rift. Currently playing a warrior, but thinking about switching to mage, cuz it seems more my style, dunno. The ingame community is btw SO MUCH nicer and more helpful than in wow...
    I hear us warriors are in a weird place right now, dont know what that means lol. I personally love my warrior and enjoy my mage, but I feel too restricted as a caster in this game. The new mage soul has me thinking about leveling my mage though.

Well as it stands, I am playing brewmaster in a raiding guild and while I am die-hard for wow, I had my eye on rift seeing as its the only one that kept going on. I see the player base is somewhere in 300k-400k and with only a few servers, they have the right idea to not have a SWTOR on their hands, but not to start that up. I am focused on starting fresh in a game with that feeling of new book smell or whatever the term is for getting into a new game. Viability is a big key because I've had a string of bad luck playing MMO's that a favorite class sees the nerf bat too many times on occasion. I am still in the midst of reviewing things, but chances are this friday I'll be purchasing the chocolate and move up to storm if I feel at home.

On that note, are there any popular servers? Dare I ask any OP classes?
    "The ocean is a scary place. It's full of water and stuff."

The servers were consolidated so I think they are all pretty healthy. I personally play on Wolfsbane which has a nice pop. The PvE servers can group with the opposing faction so as long as you dont go PvP you really wont find a population problem.

OP classes? Probably each archetype has one so it really doesnt matter. Since SL just dropped today I would expect some balancing to occur during the next few weeks especially with the new soul's increasing combinations.

Idk where you got the 300k-400k number, it's pure speculation if anything. Trion doesn't talk subscription numbers. ;o They are a privately held company unlike Blizzard and thus don't have to release sales information.

As for popular server? I am on Deepwood, we are huge and important. Pay no attention to those from Wolfsbane, etc, WE ARE #1!!! No but really, there's a number of very big and very popular servers. The populations are pretty insane and I'm intrigued to see how it goes down with most everyone moving to Tempest Bay. O_o

As for OP class? Idk, I think there's a few, but people still play what they want, from what I've seen, so it's apparent they aren't OP enough.

Though as Philefluxx said, Storm Legion launches today, we'll see how long that lasts. ;p