Page 1 of 3
1
2
3
LastLast
  1. #1

    What are Prot Warriors reasons for taking second wind over enraged regen in raids?

    I have used both, and I really don't see much point in taking second wind over ER. I see both of their uses, but in current content I don't find a situation which would justify second wind for a protection warrior. 2% life/s is not very much, especially when you consider that tanks are not often below 35%, and when they are it should only last until a maximum of the bosses next swing timer (2s or so).

    So a 500k HP tank will gain 20k life over 2 seconds with second wind, which is already lower than the instant 10% ER gives, with the addition of another 10% over 5 seconds. I can see the advantages of second wind though, in that it is a constant safety barrier with no cool down, and no reaction needed, but I'm struggling to see a 15-30k heal (roughly) honestly saving your life. I'm not often below 35%, and when I am I will already have a cooldown ready. I'm just asking myself does the situation where you are below 35% for a long period of time with no incoming heals arriving shortly actually come up often enough to warrant second wind?

    I see people not using ER and I wonder why? Is it because it costs 60 rage or an enrage effect to be active (zerk rage)? What makes you choose SW over ER?
    Last edited by T18Z; 2012-10-24 at 02:48 AM.

  2. #2
    the rage cost is really high.
    SW + Sbar pretty much makes you unkillable in anything but current raids

    and SW was nerfed down to 2% a while ago

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by bals View Post
    the rage cost is really high.
    SW + Sbar pretty much makes you unkillable in anything but current raids

    and SW was nerfed down to 2% a while ago
    Sorry for the confusion, my post was focused on PvE raiding only.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by T18Z View Post
    Sorry for the confusion, my post was focused on PvE raiding only.
    The rage cost is really high.
    missing a shieldblock/barrier can be a quick death.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by bals View Post
    The rage cost is really high.
    missing a shieldblock/barrier can be a quick death.
    It doesn't cost rage if you are enraged, and if for some reason you are not you can use berserker rage and instantly activate it.

  6. #6
    Second Wind is 3%, not 2%. It says 2% when you're in a Battleground because they put a blanket nerf on PvP healing, and it wasn't supposed to effect Second Wind (or percentage heals in general) but it did. They've said multiple times "SW seems to be effected, this is not intended" yet haven't fixed it since PTR. In any case, if you mouse over the tooltip in a BG it says 2%/sec, in the world it says 3%/sec.

  7. #7
    I took Enraged Regen on my warrior

    its 10x better, I pop it all the time cause its a 1 min cd.. pretty nice



    if you are falling below 35% then your healers are bad



    oh and for rage cost I just pop Berserker rage then Enraged regen

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Egitel View Post
    Second Wind is 3%, not 2%. It says 2% when you're in a Battleground because they put a blanket nerf on PvP healing, and it wasn't supposed to effect Second Wind (or percentage heals in general) but it did. They've said multiple times "SW seems to be effected, this is not intended" yet haven't fixed it since PTR. In any case, if you mouse over the tooltip in a BG it says 2%/sec, in the world it says 3%/sec.
    my bad, could have sworn it was nerfed shortly after 5.0 came out

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Unclekreepy View Post
    I took Enraged Regen on my warrior

    its 10x better, I pop it all the time cause its a 1 min cd.. pretty nice



    if you are falling below 35% then your healers are bad



    oh and for rage cost I just pop Berserker rage then Enraged regen
    yea your healers must be bad if you are below 35%. and its good you pop it all the time, so you cant have it when u are going to need it.

    its like other talents. both have it uses.

  10. #10
    Pandaren Monk Mukki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    ANC! ANC! ANC!
    Posts
    1,879
    Quote Originally Posted by Unclekreepy View Post
    I took Enraged Regen on my warrior

    its 10x better, I pop it all the time cause its a 1 min cd.. pretty nice



    if you are falling below 35% then your healers are bad



    oh and for rage cost I just pop Berserker rage then Enraged regen
    Your statement lacks logic. That's like saying seat belts are unnecessary in cars because if you get in an accident you're a bad driver.

  11. #11
    Blademaster Ajin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    31
    Quote Originally Posted by Mukki View Post
    Your statement lacks logic. That's like saying seat belts are unnecessary in cars because if you get in an accident you're a bad driver.
    Not really, There is not another human that can make you lose hp in a pve-raid, but another human can crash into your car.

  12. #12
    I took enraged regen too.

    I love it, it's pretty handy to pop if one of your healers are perform a boss mechanic. I usually pop it just after i use last stand as a bit of a combo, very useful. It's also good in heroics/challenge mods if your healer has been CC'd/etc.

    Fair enough the second window is kinda automatic but it doesn't give you that instant health pop + a very quick regen which isn't capped unless you're at 100%.

  13. #13
    The Lightbringer Raugnaut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Frogspoison#1419 Battletag
    Posts
    3,531
    Wheres Victory at in this debate? sometimes, being able to burst heal 10% often gets you out of danger more then burst healing 20% not so often.

    They all have thier uses, Second Wind just has the rage gen benefit to it.
    Anyone ever notice how the sun seems to shine silverish now? Didn't it used to shine goldish? PM me if you've noticed this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moounter View Post
    I think your problem is a lack of intellect.

  14. #14
    If I'm not in a raid I use Second Wind. It's just so choice for soloing and other things of that nature.

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Unclekreepy View Post
    I took Enraged Regen on my warrior

    its 10x better, I pop it all the time cause its a 1 min cd.. pretty nice



    if you are falling below 35% then your healers are bad



    oh and for rage cost I just pop Berserker rage then Enraged regen
    That logic can be applied to anything at that talent tier. What are you using Enraged Regen for? Shits and giggles?

    A passive heal that does not require active control of your character or any resource or for you to be in range of something to hit that heals for a relative truck when raid buffed. If you cycle your CDs while below 35% HP you can last a hell of a lot of time.

    Mostly its personal preference or the fight requirement.

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Unclekreepy View Post
    I took Enraged Regen on my warrior

    its 10x better, I pop it all the time cause its a 1 min cd.. pretty nice



    if you are falling below 35% then your healers are bad



    oh and for rage cost I just pop Berserker rage then Enraged regen
    this logic cracks me up. when you're pushing hard content with bad gear tanks often times get slapped around. healers aren't bad if you get chunked down 65% in one second

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by Unclekreepy View Post
    I took Enraged Regen on my warrior

    its 10x better, I pop it all the time cause its a 1 min cd.. pretty nice



    if you are falling below 35% then your healers are bad



    oh and for rage cost I just pop Berserker rage then Enraged regen
    I am sure you're mostly doing 5-mans instead of raids, but if you ever have the chance I would like you to attempt a boss like Gara'jal Heroic and say that again. You will get swept to 35% so often you're gonna change to SW automatically.

    Trust me mate, the talents are what they're intended to be, variable and suiting different positions.

  18. #18
    Second Wind is just really good at content where you can risk being 35%...

    Content where you can risk being low is every 5 man and old raids and since these 2 are what most people focus on it may not be that bad.

    Enraged Regen is something probably used more for current tier raids since overall when used it is stronger.

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by T18Z View Post
    I have used both, and I really don't see much point in taking second wind over ER. I see both of their uses, but in current content I don't find a situation which would justify second wind for a protection warrior. 2% life/s is not very much, especially when you consider that tanks are not often below 35%, and when they are it should only last until a maximum of the bosses next swing timer (2s or so).

    So a 500k HP tank will gain 20k life over 2 seconds with second wind, which is already lower than the instant 10% ER gives, with the addition of another 10% over 5 seconds. I can see the advantages of second wind though, in that it is a constant safety barrier with no cool down, and no reaction needed, but I'm struggling to see a 15-30k heal (roughly) honestly saving your life. I'm not often below 35%, and when I am I will already have a cooldown ready. I'm just asking myself does the situation where you are below 35% for a long period of time with no incoming heals arriving shortly actually come up often enough to warrant second wind?

    I see people not using ER and I wonder why? Is it because it costs 60 rage or an enrage effect to be active (zerk rage)? What makes you choose SW over ER?
    Easy.

    Stuns etc. give you rage.

    Rage is good.
    The dragons' flame sealed my fate. The world of the living can no longer comfort me.

  20. #20
    Herald of the Titans xebtria's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Bloody ol' Germany
    Posts
    2,874
    because it's passive.
    having 500k health, ER is 50k life + 10k 5 times afterwards, once every minute.
    I don't even see those numbers between all the hots and other heals from my healers. in a normal fight, a shield barrier absorbs 170-190k, sometimes even more than 200k.
    A cooldown which is pretty much unnoticable is not worth the button - even if it would be baseline 0 rage cost.
    the same goes for impending victory, which even costs a global cooldown and heals for a whooping 50k every 30 seconds.

    I rather take second wind, it's a take it and forget it talent.

    the second tier of talents for warriors is like "take the least evil". all of them are bad. all of them are only minor additions. SW is by far the best for solo farming/questing/killing rares, though. which makes it the least evil.

    Disclaimer: I don't pvp. at all. so don't argument against me with pvp reasons, if they exists. thank you very much.
    Last edited by xebtria; 2012-10-24 at 10:34 AM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •