Page 1 of 2
1
2
LastLast
  1. #1

    Serious lack of good Space MMO's

    So I have come to realize that there are very few good Space mmo's out there right now. I mean aside from EVE I can't think of any real open space games with ships you can upgrade / customize.

    Something I would really like to see is a huge open space Mmo with the normal asteroid minning, Pvp, missions ect... But also Planets that are more like actual planets where you can fly down onto one to get out and explore / do things on the ground. Now I know that something like this would be a huge undertaking and cost a lot of money but it would be so worth it.

    I mean think about it, a game like this would feel less like a game and more like a real universe with almost no limits.


    So are there any games that are currently out or in development that are anything like this? Am I just missing something or are there really not that many good open space Mmo's? What do you guys think?

  2. #2
    All in one like that? I'm not sure about Star Treck (rather unpopular now) but there is Dust 514 (to coincide with EvE). I know I know its a shooter, not an MMO but it affects the EvE world if you intend on playing that game. I am personally upset at the PS3 exclusive that CCP decided on.

    Here's the best video description of Dust 514 I could find.

  3. #3
    Mechagnome
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    573
    You could try freelancer with some mods its not really an mmo bot some servers are at around 200 people and its quite fun

  4. #4
    Immortal Dezerte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    7,613
    Star Citizen & Elite: Dangerous comes to mind, they have multiplayer but not sure how MMO-ish they are.

    They're both kickstarter projects, and probably won't come out for some time though.
    To declare that a personal, inner experience gives certainty about the workings of the universe is to assign far too much value to one’s subjective sense of conviction.
    I’m not that arrogant.

    The brain, marvelous instrument though it is, isn’t infallible. It can misfire, seize or hallucinate, and it can do so in a way that’s utterly indistinguishable from reality to the person experiencing it.

  5. #5
    Moderator Remilia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Avatar:鉄花まき
    Posts
    7,205
    Quote Originally Posted by nyc81991 View Post
    So I have come to realize that there are very few good Space mmo's out there right now. I mean aside from EVE I can't think of any real open space games with ships you can upgrade / customize.

    Something I would really like to see is a huge open space Mmo with the normal asteroid minning, Pvp, missions ect... But also Planets that are more like actual planets where you can fly down onto one to get out and explore / do things on the ground. Now I know that something like this would be a huge undertaking and cost a lot of money but it would be so worth it.

    I mean think about it, a game like this would feel less like a game and more like a real universe with almost no limits.


    So are there any games that are currently out or in development that are anything like this? Am I just missing something or are there really not that many good open space Mmo's? What do you guys think?
    Sounds like Star Wars Galaxy, before it went bai bai. Sorry.
    http://swg.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Space

  6. #6
    Immortal Sigma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Just outside of Wigan, England.
    Posts
    7,332
    Have to agree, which is why I am excited about the Elite remake from the original creator.
    hopefully it will be MMO with trading and some sort of space based PVP.

    Whilst I have no doubts that EVE is the best of the space based MMO Genre, it from what I have played is overly complex and time consuming.
    Quote Originally Posted by Acelius View Post
    Sigma : Super Intelligent Giant Moldy Anchovy

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    Sounds like Star Wars Galaxy, before it went bai bai. Sorry.
    http://swg.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Space
    Yep i agree.

    -snip-

    "with 1 update 3/4 of there player base quit and then just a couple months back SWG got shutdown cause Lucis wanted those players to go over to TOR"

    To this day my brother still feels SWG was the best MMO and he spent years on EQ/WOW/COH"City of Heroes" ect...

    Sorry, not allowed to talk about it.Fixed
    Last edited by Jtbrig7390; 2012-11-12 at 10:29 AM.
    My Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/jtbrig7390
    Recent Video Upload: The Last of Us Remastered Multiplayer - Supply Raid "Jtbrig7390" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOrpuvXVXO0

    My Twitch Streaming Ps4 Games All The Time: http://www.twitch.tv/jtbrig7390

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    Yep i agree.

    -snip-

    "with 1 update 3/4 of there player base quit and then just a couple months back SWG got shutdown cause Lucis wanted those players to go over to TOR"

    To this day my brother still feels SWG was the best MMO and he spent years on EQ/WOW/COH"City of Heroes" ect...

    Sorry, not allowed to talk about it.Fixed
    Wrong, wrong, wrong, players were bleeding way before the NGE.

    http://users.telenet.be/mmodata/Charts/Subs-2.png

    NGE was out in November 2005, look at the chart, it took SWG from mid 2004 to mid 2005 to bleed about 1/3 of subs from 300,000 to about 180,000, a drop of 120,000, it then took them from mid 2005 to the end of 2008 to drop from 180k to 100k. more subs left before the NGe then after

    The NGE was a response to the bleed in subs, not the cause of it.


    I'm trying STO at the moment, its nice for a freebie game, seems to be plenty to do and the space comabt is good, ground combat is a load of tosh tho.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    Sounds like Star Wars Galaxy, before it went bai bai. Sorry.
    http://swg.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Space
    A emulator exists for SWG. You still need the original cds however.
    -snip-
    Sorry, we're not allowed to talk about emulators.
    Last edited by Remilia; 2012-11-12 at 08:02 PM.

  10. #10
    The Lightbringer Howard Moon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    LV-426
    Posts
    3,981
    Star Citizen looks like it migh be an MMO of sorts, and it looks awesome. Won't be released for quite a while, though, I reckon.
    My Gaming Setup | WoW Holy Paladin (retired)

    "This is not a dress. This is a sacred robe of the ancient psychedelic monks."

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Siggma View Post
    Have to agree, which is why I am excited about the Elite remake from the original creator.
    hopefully it will be MMO with trading and some sort of space based PVP.

    Whilst I have no doubts that EVE is the best of the space based MMO Genre, it from what I have played is overly complex and time consuming.
    Space travel is complex and time consuming! A AM Shock-ed! The consumption of time and complexity is what makes EVE the game it is. If mining was fast, then ships would be cheap, economy would tank. The Active mining has to be compared to the passive PI, and moon mining etc, so anything that upsets that delicate balance upsets everything.

    Lots of people will tell you that you can get into a ship and go pvping within 2 weeks, but on the upside, you can work on something for years, and never have it taken from you (unless you don't back up your clone and get podded) with an expansion. Yes, there is a bit of one-sidedness when it comes to people playing longer than others, but the trick is not to fight them (people playing since the beginning don't get in their Rifters and go podding newbies, they've got much more interesting/important things to be doing).

  12. #12
    R.I.P Star Wars Galaxies

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Mooherder View Post
    You could try freelancer with some mods its not really an mmo bot some servers are at around 200 people and its quite fun
    It's shocking no one has taken the freelancer formula and made an MMO out of it. I can't think of a game more fondly remembered that has been completely ignored by the industry for so long.

    I guess Star Citizen or whatever, or if the rumors of the Valve space game are true. I hope so. They could do it so well

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    Sounds like Star Wars Galaxy, before it went bai bai. Sorry.
    http://swg.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Space
    Luckily theres SWG EMU
    Lv30 (Warframe) - Volt - Grakata - Lex Prime - Dragon Nikana -
    Lv40 (Firefall) - Dragonfly - Biotech - Mammoth - Arsenal - Nighthawk - Raptor - Recon - Tigerclaw - Electron -
    Lv60 (Neverwinter) - Rogue - Fighter - Wizard - Guardian - Cleric -

  15. #15
    Pit Lord philefluxx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Silicon Highway
    Posts
    2,305
    Quote Originally Posted by hk-51 View Post
    Luckily theres SWG EMU
    Are those guys still working on it? Last time I played EMU was the Sept before ToR launched when I realized I missed the reac date for SWG to get to play the final few months =/

    But EMU was seriously broken and they said to be able to fix anything meant rewritting code. It was explicitly stated this was a volunteer project and to not expect much in any amount of timeframe. Maybe the poor results from ToR and shutting down of SWG got them moving faster.

    OP: Sounds like you might be looking for EvE in the next 5 years. That is pretty much where they are headed and Dust is the first step.

    Edit: Oh Shiz looks like they finally launched the new server with their codebase! Gonna have to keep reading and I might be busting out my SWG disc's tonight!
    Last edited by philefluxx; 2012-11-12 at 07:25 PM.

  16. #16
    I know it's not exploration, but Dust 514 will introduce ground combat to the EVE universe, even if in a FPS manner. At least it's free, so long as you have a PS3.

    Otherwise, as others have said, you could give Star Trek Online a go. It's not the most popular MMO out there, but I remember it being decent.

  17. #17
    The Insane
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    Posts
    16,054
    Sadly the Warhammer 40k MMO isn't happening, but at the same time - thankfully the Warhammer 40K MMO isn't happening.

    Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

  18. #18
    The Lightbringer Firebane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    In a Bordeaux vineyard
    Posts
    3,834
    Keep hoping for a good Warhammer 40K game.

    ---------- Post added 2012-11-12 at 08:24 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Venziir View Post
    Sadly the Warhammer 40k MMO isn't happening, but at the same time - thankfully the Warhammer 40K MMO isn't happening.
    SPACE MARINES !!
    SPACE MARINES EVERYWHERE !!!

    Not to mention it would be done by EA.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille View Post
    I'm just being a smart ass at this point.

  19. #19
    You probably haven't seen this site

    Crowd funding ends in a week, it's not too late!

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by hailey View Post
    It's shocking no one has taken the freelancer formula and made an MMO out of it. I can't think of a game more fondly remembered that has been completely ignored by the industry for so long.

    I guess Star Citizen or whatever, or if the rumors of the Valve space game are true. I hope so. They could do it so well

    Freelancer was literally my favourite space game of all time, and it had great mods too. Whenever I think about it I get the urge to go install and play it. I was super sad that a sequel never happened, or any other games used the same ideas. The ship designs were all interesting, the combat was fast paced and the travel/planet system was awesome. My friend still constantly mentions a freelancer star wars mod which he really liked when it was still running.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •