Page 1 of 12
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Eidos executive tells broadband providers they’re holding gaming back

http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/10/19/ei...ame=0&ns_fee=0

This article only talks about latency and download speeds.

Doesn't even touch base on how fucking criminal 60gb/month caps are.
    Last edited by This name sucks; 2012-11-11 at 09:11 PM.

Why are 60gb month caps criminal?

10+ Year Old Account
    It's a start. In the US you have like 10 mbit/s download and 2mbit/s as the cheapest and the good stuff starting at like 50$ where some places like Sweden have 100mbit/s download with a crazy amount upload for like 40$ per month. To get anywhere near that in US you're looking at like 90-100$+ depending on ISP. Maybe some people calling it out will get something working. I doubt it, but it'd be nice.

I'd give you an inch, you'd take me a mile, your tail wagging happily all the while.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Worgenite View Post
    It's a start. In the US you have like 10 mbit/s download and 2mbit/s as the cheapest and the good stuff starting at like 50$ where some places like Sweden have 100mbit/s download with a crazy amount upload for like 40$ per month. To get anywhere near that in US you're looking at like 90-100$+ depending on ISP. Maybe some people calling it out will get something working. I doubt it, but it'd be nice.
    If I could get good high quality stuff like that I would pay.

But what I currently have is the largest fasted and highest quality thats available. And its 4mbit down and 1mbit up. With a 60gb cap. And its $60.

Having impossibly shitty internet makes playing games almost impossible at times. Good luck playing an fps with over 200 latency. Or any kind of fast paced game like sc2 or lol.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Seirith View Post
    Why are 60gb month caps criminal?
    because data caps are just another way to squeeze money out of a customer.

Deleted
    This doesn't just apply to gaming. Slow internet holds the economy as a whole back, while most people aren't affected by caps yet, in a few years (assuming the ISPs get their acts together) people could easily be ditching DVDs and downloading HD movies as the norm. Netflix is a good example of what the future can be like if you aren't crippled with low speeds and low caps.

I download a lot, and I have very, very low speeds, thankfully I have no cap, if my internet was faster, I'd have Netflix etc straight away.

Unlike much of the world the US population is far more spread out, so you cannot honestly expect incredible speeds in Nowhere, Nowhere.

However the repubtards need to lay off and allow for infrastructure upgrades in the US, I would go insane if I had to live with a 4 MBPS download speed. Around here (near Washington DC) 50 MBPS is about $60 a month and 110 MBPS is $90. I understand the average broadband speed in the US is somewhere around 6 MBPS, which isn't far behind the leaders. It is too slow and will hold back a lot of innovation, we're just beginning to exploit higher net speeds.

Infracted: Don't insult people who don't politically agree with you.
    Last edited by Wikiy; 2012-11-12 at 08:06 AM.

I pay $30 a month for 3mb ^ 2mb v while my friends in the Netherlands and Russia and Germany have upwards of 50 mbs for 2/3rds the price

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Methanar View Post
    But what I currently have is the largest fasted and highest quality thats available. And its 4mbit down and 1mbit up. With a 60gb cap. And its $60.
    Wow. I really wouldn't want to go back to such slow speeds. I feel for you.

I'm happy with my 120mbit download(only 10mbit upload though). But since I'm on glass fiber I still demand more. 1gbit for starters. 120mbit is nothing.

---------- Post added 2012-11-11 at 11:59 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Zulathar View Post
    Unlike much of the world the US population is far more spread out, so you cannot honestly expect incredible speeds in Nowhere, Nowhere.
    The US infrastructure sucks. Especially the electricity network. It's so horribly outdated compared to most of Europe.
    I have the feeling that the slow internet speeds are a direct result from the electricity network.

I mean, the US electricity network leaks power. Proof enough that it's outdated. I've also heard that it costs an enormous amount of money to upgrade it, maybe so much that it's not even a viable option. Yeah, if these things are connected then I don't see internet speeds improving a lot anytime soon.

Virgin medias service in the uk is quite good, anything from 10 to 120mb download speeds with no data limit, there is some bandwidth throttling if you exceed a certain amount of data during the day but from 9pm to 9am it's full speed ahead...the 120 mb service dose away with the bandwidth throttling for £35 a month

Netflix has been outspoken and lobbied against the bandwidth caps, which makes sense given the nature of their service. As media consumption becomes ever more online-based you'll see more taking up the fight.

The cartel enforced in the US ISP market has let the providers remain complacent and made broadband fall severely behind the rest of the developed world. It's so bad, the head of AT&T actually tried to convince people less competition is a good thing for consumers. I also shouldn't need to tell you this is bad for the US economy where you need to be competitive in global online businesses.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Worgenite View Post
    In the US you have like 10 mbit/s download and 2mbit/s as the cheapest and the good stuff starting at like 50$
    Yikes! Here in Portugal, i'm currently paying 45€ for 30 mbit/s down and 4 mbit/s up fiber connection (just tested on speedtest.net right now and it gives me 32mbit/s though), with NO monthly cap, plus cable tv with all channels (except the premium ones), plus home phone (not cellphone, don't know how it is called in english) and free calls at any time of the day to any home phone from my country or a lot of other european countries', and i could get tv-on-the-go in my smartphone for an aditional 5€/month.

That really makes US seem dirty expensive in comparisson :/

Hah, I live 5 minutes out of town and the best i got is satelite internet.. yay 200*K/bs*

10+ Year Old Account
    I have a 100mb/s with 150 GB download per month.. and its costs me around 40$.
    “A man will contend for a false faith stronger than he will a true one,” he observes. “The truth defends itself, but a falsehood must be defended by its adherents: first to prove it to themselves and secondly, that they may appear right in the estimation of their friends.”
    -The Acts of Pilate.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Migas11 View Post
    Yikes! Here in Portugal, i'm currently paying 45€ for 30 mbit/s down and 4 mbit/s up fiber connection (just tested on speedtest.net right now and it gives me 32mbit/s though), with NO monthly cap, plus cable tv with all channels (except the premium ones), plus home phone (not cellphone, don't know how it is called in English) and free calls at any time of the day to any home phone from my country or a lot of other European countries', and i could get tv-on-the-go in my smartphone for an additional 5€/month.

That really makes US seem dirty expensive in comparisson :/
    I can attest this. I pay roughly the same, 49.99€ ($63.60 USD), for the same conditions Migas spoke.
    A "home phone"= landline, Migas.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeverin View Post
    A "home phone"= landline, Migas.
    There's the word i was looking for! :P

10+ Year Old Account
    Hah, I live 5 minutes out of town and the best i got is satelite internet.. yay 200*K/bs*

I live 5 minutes out of my town and we have this bullshit throttled T1..we're paying full T1 price, over $100 a month, but I only get 60 K/bs. Wanna talk about getting robbed...

I live in the uk and this is what I get for around £60 including TV with movie channels, sport channels etc

uk ftw

Quote Originally Posted by Methanar View Post
    If I could get good high quality stuff like that I would pay.

Having impossibly shitty internet makes playing games almost impossible at times. Good luck playing an fps with over 200 latency. Or any kind of fast paced game like sc2 or lol.
    Bell and Rogers are horseshit service providers.

I was on the grandfathered unlimited plan with Bell. They kept raising the price on it to the point that we had to switch to a more cost effective but severely handicapped plan that cuts you off at the knee-caps if you go over your limit.

All so that people would pay for their cable/satellite packages and not use Netflix.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by madethisfor1post View Post
    Bell and Rogers are horseshit service providers.

I was on the grandfathered unlimited plan with Bell. They kept raising the price on it to the point that we had to switch to a more cost effective but severely handicapped plan that cuts you off at the knee-caps if you go over your limit.

All so that people would pay for their cable/satellite packages and not use Netflix.
    I get straight up cut off, nothing, period if I go 1 bit over my limit. None of that throttled shit for me.

Funnily enough though after you are throttled after exceeding a limit, the speeds you get while being throttled are faster than my potential maximum is.

Duopolies (both of which essentially control the fucking crtc, which is suppose to regulate telecommunications, and have it start laws that benefit the companies like forcing bandwidth caps to "promote competition" [no really, they actually fucking did that in like 2007, requiring caps apparently causes companies to compete with each other for who can provide the largest cap {impossibly small to begin with, naturally}]) are amazing.

Man I really fucked up my thoughts there. Pretty rare I get to use all 3 brackets in one post. Whatever, Canada sucks is my point.
    Last edited by This name sucks; 2012-11-12 at 01:23 AM.