10+ Year Old Account

Optimal stampede config

what pets should be used in a good configeration for stampede, obviously u not going to want to use the glyph that copies ur current pet by 5?

my thinking is this... Quillen, spirit beast,hyena or whatever throws the haste buff, and either a ravager or boar, and dragonhawk or winged serpant... buff was it would be crit, mastery, haste and physical and spell damage pets.

your thoughts?

What is this for? Raiding, dungeons, PvP?

If raiding, you should have all 8 buffs already.
    If in dungeons, honestly who cares.
    If PvP, I can't comment, I don't do it (though I'd imagine you'd want some of those CCing pets or something)

Thinking about it the only place I can really see you wanting to absolutely optimise would be challenge mode dungeons, in which case you'd just get the buffs you're missing from your group. So it's dependent on group composition which pets you use.

Deleted
    i use the glyph, since in solo situations i dnt have need for all those different buffs anyway.
    and when im raiding the other buffs will be handled by guildies so copying the one i use is not a problem

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kisho View Post
    What is this for? Raiding, dungeons, PvP?

If raiding, you should have all 8 buffs already.
    If in dungeons, honestly who cares.
    If PvP, I can't comment, I don't do it (though I'd imagine you'd want some of those CCing pets or something)

Thinking about it the only place I can really see you wanting to absolutely optimise would be challenge mode dungeons, in which case you'd just get the buffs you're missing from your group. So it's dependent on group composition which pets you use.
    yeah primarily for raiding and maybe dungeons... I don't pvp either so who cares on that aspect..

Well it's the sporebat video situation...
    Use the pets that your raid lacks de/buffs from.

Optimal would be to get all buffs in pve and CC in pvp most likely.
    Personally I use the glyph for following reason:
    I don't want to toggle growl off of all my pets and having to enable/disable it on my tanking pet when I use it.

10+ Year Old Account
    but alot of ppl wouldn't think to do all the buffs with stampede... I doubt that all do anyway... at least for a burn phase.

Stood in the Fire
    15+ Year Old Account
    1. If the buffs aren't covered in the raid (bit unlikely): than obviously whatever you are missing.

2. If the buffs are covered: than I only see use for more spirit beasts. Even if your main pet isn't one and is one providing a buff.
    You're not going to do anything usefull in terms of buffs or debuffs anyhow, since they are covered (else, back to 1. please), so you might as well self heal a bit.

3. as SV (or a mascotte MM): I would go for color schemes that fit your gear.
    Or maybe 4 pets that are simular and 1 odd one out. Your raid buddies than have to guess the odd one out as soon as they can.
    For example: 4 mammals and one insect; 4 flying pets and 1 crawler; 4 real animals and one alien; 4 pets people eat and one that is disgusting...

If all buffs are generally covered by your raid group, i'd go with debuff type pets. Dragonhawk, Ravager, Raptor. Even if all buffs/debuffs are technically covered, this tier has a decent amount of target swapping. There is not always a guarantee the mob you are on will be fully debuffed.

Quote Originally Posted by Malakath View Post
    but alot of ppl wouldn't think to do all the buffs with stampede... I doubt that all do anyway... at least for a burn phase.
    But in a raid (assuming your raid leader doesn't fail at group composition) you should have all 8 buffs already, so getting a bunch of different buffs is meaningless. Just take the pets you need to fill out buff spots, otherwise use what you want.

On my Hunter I'm definitely using the glyph and to hell with optimisation, but then I've got the Grimtotem Spirit Guide pet so it's pretty special to me.

Stood in the Fire
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aertea View Post
    If all buffs are generally covered by your raid group, i'd go with debuff type pets. Dragonhawk, Ravager, Raptor. Even if all buffs/debuffs are technically covered, this tier has a decent amount of target swapping. There is not always a guarantee the mob you are on will be fully debuffed.
    true, in theory.
    But aren't hunters mostly using stamepede on burn down targets, that generally are fully debuffed by the rest of the dps hitting them too?

Stampede is a long cooldown after all, seems odd not to use it on a main target that needs killing.

Not raiding at the moment, so maybe the MoP raids have fights where hunters use stampede on seperate targets (allthough not that likely).

Quote Originally Posted by Kimbald View Post
    true, in theory.
    But aren't hunters mostly using stamepede on burn down targets, that generally are fully debuffed by the rest of the dps hitting them too?

Stampede is a long cooldown after all, seems odd not to use it on a main target that needs killing.

Not raiding at the moment, so maybe the MoP raids have fights where hunters use stampede on seperate targets (allthough not that likely).
    The "main target that needs killing" changes a lot in some fights, and I'm not talking about just quick burn down adds. Stone Guard and Garalon can both have you target swapping a ton, with no real "boss" target for long CDs like Stampede.

10+ Year Old Account
    okay so the missing buff and debuff pets...gotcha... so looking like Quillen(crit buff, battle rez) my fav pet(name him after King Seesar from the Godzilla movies), Raptor, ravager or boar, wind serpant or dragonhawk

Stood in the Fire
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aertea View Post
    The "main target that needs killing" changes a lot in some fights, and I'm not talking about just quick burn down adds. Stone Guard and Garalon can both have you target swapping a ton, with no real "boss" target for long CDs like Stampede.
    Ok, than it means the bet pets to use are the debuffing ones indeed (if all buffs are covered).
    They still might be obsolete but at least there is a small chance they add a debuff that hasn't been applied.
    Better than not doing anything usefull at all...

Consider including a tallstrider on any fight that involves multiple targets. They have an AoE version of the armor debuff, which is unique. Other classes can provide the armor debuff but none that I'm aware of are able to apply it as an AoE.

Also, using the glyph is not a good idea in most circumstances as it means the pet copies the cooldowns from your active pet, which may mean that your stampede pets are missing out on rabid as it could be on cooldown when you cast stampede.

If you want the best buffs for soloing, you should aim to Stampede with pets which cast buffs on you. The best stampede combo for soloing, in my opinion, is:

• Hyena/Serpent for 10% melee and ranged haste.
    • Wolf for 5% crit. If you are BM, you should use quillen, because it casts 2 min crit buff as opposed to wolf's 1 min. Don't use water strider for this, because the crit buff it gives is just an aura which will disappear after the stampede'd tall strider despawns.
    • Cat for mastery. If you are BM, you should use spirit beast instead.
    • Tallstrider for AoE weakened armor. Extremely strong debuff against multiple mobs, but unfortunately it seems to disappear when your stampede'd tallstrider despawns. This might be the case with other stampede'd debuffs aswell.

As for the active pet, there are a few choices. I like to use shale spider if I'm BM for the agi buff, or if I want to burn something down very fast, I use core hound instead. Both have very strong buffs. You can't set ancient hysteria on autocast, so for BL you need to have core hound as the active pet. If you are surv of MM, you should use ravager or boar for the 4% physical vulnerability debuff, or you could use cat/hyena/wolf as the active one and get physical vulnerability with a stampede'd pet.

just be sure to not take the glyph, that way you have allready gained a lot of dmg. (70% more attack speed for all stampede pets from rabid)
    cover the basic buffs (mastery, crit, haste, -armor, magic dmg taken, physical dmg taken) with your stabled pets, which you should be doing anyway
    not much to take care of actually.

if you are BM only, you may want to take a pet that grants the above buffs, with a most beneficial additional spell, here's a little list, with the additional exotic abilites
    critbuff: Water Strider: spellpower, Quilen: Battlerezz, Devilsaur: -Heal received debuff (situational)
    -armor: Worm: Burrow Attack (AE dmg)
    Mastery: Spirit Beast: a small Heal cast
    physical dmg taken: Rhino: Pushback (kind of useless, maybe even contraproductive)
    10% haste: no exotic
    magic dmg taken: no exotic
    exotic only buffs:
    heroism: corehound: -casting speed
    5% stats: Shale Spider: 3s stun
    Stamina: Silithids: 5s imobilize

the "special stuff" like battlerezz and heroism should be brought by your main pet if missing.
    as I'm BM and SV, I go with wolf, cat, snake, raptor and dragonhawk. (dragonhawk being the active one, so you always have the debuff on your current target, the rest are passives and always present)

10+ Year Old Account
    sorry but just skimmed...

For example when we do the elegon, 2nd boss in heart of fear or garalon I use 5 spirit beasts... We run 25 mans so the buffs are always covered and esp. in burn phases like elegon last phase or the 2nd boss in hof you can save a life or two just by passive hots...

excuse my bad english please.
    Captain Endriel and his fearsome crew!