Page 4 of 33 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Martin Kerstein is really starting to sour on me. He has a weird hubris about him that is really off putting lately.
    Martin Kerstein ‏@mkerstein @Frotee @MiesZko perhaps you should have a little faith and wait for actual details?
    Amused cow is amused.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Martin Kerstein is really starting to sour on me. He has a weird hubris about him that is really off putting lately.
    I've only seen GW2 tweets and I didn't know who the MK was at the end of tweets until now. I understand it's own personal twitter account he just posted on but he did tweet on behalf of the game and it didn't sound like very appropriate replys that should be coming from a CM on a concern from the community.

OT: Wait for the blog before coming to any harsh conclusions.
    • PSN ID: Azuri118 •

he appears to be annoyed.

Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    Amused cow is amused.
    That reply of having faith in Arena.net is exactly what soured me and to be honest, it's making me a little angry.

Precisely because:

Quote Originally Posted by Shamanic View Post
    They really should have clarified more or not let the articles be published ahead of their own press releases if they don't want people to assume the worst and / or panic about vaguely worded previews.
    Anet is no flying spaghetti monster I need to have faith in. They provide products and services. Communicating clearly and in a timely manner trumps "faith". If clarification wasn't ready to go in hour zero, that is most definitely your bad.

I don't often say this, but I do think Martin Kerstein should be told to "go fuck himself".

Quote Originally Posted by Daffkeeks View Post
    he appears to be annoyed.
    If he didn't want the backlash that happened, they should have released something immediately after the article to avoid it. It's stupid to think players are going to have a blind faith in a gaming company.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    That reply of having faith in Arena.net is exactly what soured me and to be honest, it's making me a little angry.

Precisely because:

Anet is no flying spaghetti monster I need to have faith in. They provide products and services. Communicating clearly and in a timely manner trumps "faith". If clarification wasn't ready to go in hour zero, that is most definitely your bad.

I don't often say this, but I do think Martin Kerstein should be told to "go fuck himself".
    This exactly.

I am quite honestly surprised that they haven't learned and didn't have an official post or blog, which is coming later today apparently, after the embargo was lifted with websites as then a whole lot of the issue would have mostly been avoided.
    Currently Playing
    [ - Guild Wars 2 - ] [ - Borderlands 2 - ]
    [ - Human Mesmer - ] [ - Sylvari Thief - ] [ - Charr Elementalist - ]

I'm not overly worried about Ascended armor types. Sounds like it's more a small notch upwards rather than the big, almost exponential leaps in power that most gear treadmills make.

Heroic Recruitment -- Hersh's multi-PoV kill vids. -- Raids & Dungeons & Hunter kitty
    no one huntars like gaston

The Patient
    I just got Guild Wars 2 and enjoying the leveling process immensely.

This doesn't worry me at all, instead it gives me confidence that there will be greater variety at max level and makes me optimistic about the future.

I'll reserve judgment for when I've actually experienced it for a while but on the face of it, I like it.

what i dont get is how can you criticize them for putting another set of armors in when the current set might not be adequate to handle the progressive difficulty of the new dungeon. If the New dungeon had an end to it and a difficulty cap they wouldnt need to add the armor, they could just use this to add more cosmetic sets into the game. But since the dungeon keeps getting harder how are you the player supposed to handle that in your current full exotic set?

You guys are really weird you know. They cant have this dungeon design without the new gear set because then once you get to a certain point youll be utterly smashed. Now for starters we dont even know how much the stats are gonna go up by. You may not even need the gear at higher difficulties and it may only slightly help you where instead of getting hit for 80% of your health you get hit got 75%. I mean we really dont know how difficult the dungeon will get and we dont know if the gear makes a big difference or a negligible difference. You are all going crazy and coming to radical conclusions.

There is a legendary grind in the game, And a dungeon set grind in the game. They are now adding a dungeon that may require better gear at its highest difficulty and whos to say youll even reach the point where you need even 1 piece of acendence gear to make a difference. We dont know.

lost shore trailer
    Omg, was i the only one who was awaiting cthulu there?

Heh. Nice trailer too.

Herald of the Titans Ravenblade's Avatar
    I fully understand why they are doing that. It's because people do act like they have to or feel compelled to and the company is asked to respond.

So I expect something like this:

-> People complain that game is too easy: Make harder dungeons. -> People complain that dungeons are too hard: Introduce dungeon specific gear -> People complain about gear treadmill: Make gear only become stronger the longer you are running the dungeon and scale it down to a minimum level of accepted increased power outside of that type of dungeon

If it works out then they have found a decent raid substitute without having to introduce raids, a decent way for increasing rewards without introducing a classical gear treadmill

I also think Mr. Kerstein's response was a bit blunt but he is partially correct, only partially because the media posted tidbits before the company came forward with their precise informations. Which is a risky tactic to be honest as it can incite hype and great backlash from disappointment.
    WoW: Crowcloak (Druid) @ Sylvanas EU (retired) | GW2: Siqqa (Asura Engineer) @ Piken Square EU
    If builders built houses the way programmers built programs,the first woodpecker to come along would destroy civilization. - Weinberg's 2nd law

My Deus Ex:HR soundtrack mixes
    [FLAC version (3.5 GB)]

You guys are really weird you know. They cant have this dungeon design without the new gear set because then once you get to a certain point youll be utterly smashed. Now for starters we dont even know how much the stats are gonna go up by. You may not even need the gear at higher difficulties and it may only slightly help you where instead of getting hit for 80% of your health you get hit got 75%. I mean we really dont know how difficult the dungeon will get and we dont know if the gear makes a big difference or a negligible difference. You are all going crazy and coming to radical conclusions.
    So the only way to make the content harder is to scale up damage/HP even MORE? That really doesn't boost my faith in their development abilities. =/

So the only way to make the content harder is to scale up damage/HP even MORE? That really doesn't boost my faith in their development abilities. =/
    I dont know about you but i remember a few games that have done this. Lets see, Diablo II, Diablo 3, Diablo 3 again (Monster Power), World of warcraft (come on man what do you think the difference between normal and heroic dungeons or normal and heroic raids are? You up the %'s and add 1 or two mechanics if that.)

Lots of games do this cuz it works. If a game is easy cuz u can kill mobs fast and they dont hit you that hard then all you have to do is make it so you cant kill them fast and they hit harder. They do it cuz it works.

Herald of the Titans Ravenblade's Avatar
    I suppose you can't get along without the visceral side of the gameplay especially if your game is majorly centered around combat. It does not mean that all you will be going to do is cracking skulls though. I've played a couple of RPGs where the objective was not necessarily to beat an endboss but finding a switch or item. But even so combat can be a side objective of a greater mini-game: Remember the battle squares in Icewind Dale II?
    WoW: Crowcloak (Druid) @ Sylvanas EU (retired) | GW2: Siqqa (Asura Engineer) @ Piken Square EU
    If builders built houses the way programmers built programs,the first woodpecker to come along would destroy civilization. - Weinberg's 2nd law

My Deus Ex:HR soundtrack mixes
    [FLAC version (3.5 GB)]

I dont know about you but i remember a few games that have done this. Lets see, Diablo II, Diablo 3, Diablo 3 again (Monster Power), World of warcraft (come on man what do you think the difference between normal and heroic dungeons or normal and heroic raids are? You up the %'s and add 1 or two mechanics if that.)

Lots of games do this cuz it works. If a game is easy cuz u can kill mobs fast and they dont hit you that hard then all you have to do is make it so you cant kill them fast and they hit harder. They do it cuz it works.
    Ok, two things:

For one, this (should be) against the philosophy of the game. We've been told time and again that "more skill" was the answer to everything, not more stats. The idea that they cannot create more challenging content without simply stacking more numbers up is pretty disappointing. (Not saying it's true, just replying to your previous assertion on the matter.)

Second, saying that the only difference between one raid and another in a game like WoW is upping the % of things is silly. A fight like H-Nefarian is significantly tougher than H-Chimaeron simply because the mechanics and organization are much, much more involved, not because one fight has bigger-er numbers. It should be a disappointment to you to think that A.Net's only idea for making content more challenging is to go against the philosophy of the game and throw more numbers at things. =(

Differences in fights like that is what we SHOULD be seeing as their big ideas.

Bottom line is that you cannot have it both ways. You can't support ArenaNet on a change like this and claim to also support the philosophy of GW2. (This is all assuming that even half of what we're discussing here is true.)
    Last edited by Bovinity Divinity; 2012-11-12 at 07:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenblade View Post
    I fully understand why they are doing that. It's because people do act like they have to or feel compelled to and the company is asked to respond.

So I expect something like this:

-> People complain that game is too easy: Make harder dungeons. -> People complain that dungeons are too hard: Introduce dungeon specific gear -> People complain about gear treadmill: Make gear only become stronger the longer you are running the dungeon and scale it down to a minimum level of accepted increased power outside of that type of dungeon

If it works out then they have found a decent raid substitute without having to introduce raids, a decent way for increasing rewards without introducing a classical gear treadmill

I also think Mr. Kerstein's response was a bit blunt but he is partially correct, only partially because the media posted tidbits before the company came forward with their precise informations. Which is a risky tactic to be honest as it can incite hype and great backlash from disappointment.
    Oh wow, this sounds really good. Hope it indeed is this way. Outside the dungeon it's your everyday exotic, but inside it's slightly more powerful.

What i think people don't realise is that this is GW2 and doesn't have the same tier upgrade philosophy as WoW. The change from greens to exotic in GW2 isn't anything you notice. From greens to epics in WoW however is a whole new lvl. Matter of fact, even the change from ilvl 463 to 489/496 is huuge. You can never pull 100k+ dps in full heroic blues, but in 489/496 epic that's to be expected if your a hardcore raider. In GW2 there is almost no difference between exotic and greens. Maybe 500+/- HP and some minor damage, precision etc changes.

Ok, two things:

For one, this (should be) against the philosophy of the game. We've been told time and again that "more skill" was the answer to everything, not more stats. The idea that they cannot create more challenging content without simply stacking more numbers up is pretty disappointing. (Not saying it's true, just replying to your previous assertion on the matter.)

Second, saying that the only difference between one raid and another in a game like WoW is upping the % of things is silly. A fight like H-Nefarian is significantly tougher than H-Chimaeron simply because the mechanics and organization are much, much more involved, not because one fight has bigger-er numbers. It should be a disappointment to you to think that A.Net's only idea for making content more challenging is to go against the philosophy of the game and throw more numbers at things. =(

Differences in fights like that is what we SHOULD be seeing as their big ideas.

Bottom line is that you cannot have it both ways. You can't support ArenaNet on a change like this and claim to also support the philosophy of GW2. (This is all assuming that even half of what we're discussing here is true.)
    Execution vs Depth. WoW fights usually don't have too much depth, since the fights have a set of very strict mechanics, that leads to specific tactics needing to be executed. WoW fights becomes more and more about execution, at least compared to Vanilla and GW2. Most fights in Vanilla weren't very complicated, bosses just hit you for an agonizing amount of health, and you needed resistance gear to survive those few mechanics there was.

While hard hitting bosses with tons of health might seem like a lazy way to make boss fights, it does mean you can get away with being a little more chaotic than in your everyday WoW raid. I suppose it's about hitting a balance. But since it's an infinite dungeon, more health and damage seems like the only way to deal with that.
    Being critical is a burden which some people loves to bear.