Page 9 of 33 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Hehe. Read the blog.

I am never wrong. Feels good.

So the gear creep begins (no, not talking about the infusions)

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Hehe. Read the blog.

I am never wrong. Feels good.
    Fencers i'm pretty sure you're either A) a wizard or B) work at Anet secretly and are slowly planting seeds of info you know we all want but are being super sneaky about how you go about doing so...
    Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    Youre in the mmo forums and you find mmos boring, Im heading on over to the twilight forums to add my unecessary and shallow 2 cents.

I really do enjoy a good part of the game so I won't stop playing but I don't like this deviation that ANet seems to be heading toward. I feel like they are catering to the crowd that doesn't particularly like the game.

"Why are they even calling it Guild Wars 2 at this point?" -- Fencer's sister, current Guild Wars 1 player

Should say though I am pretty vocal about the issue, I am not too worried personally. Mostly because I honestly hate the style of dungeons in Guild Wars 2. At the moment it doesn't seem like a zone wanderer such as myself is too put out by this yet.

"Why are they even calling it Guild Wars 2 at this point?" -- Fencer's sister, current Guild Wars 1 player

Should say though I am pretty vocal about the issue, I am not too worried personally. Mostly because I honestly hate the style of dungeons in Guild Wars 2. At the moment it doesn't seem like a zone wanderer such as myself is too put out by this yet.
    But fencers... without those 2 additional points of stats how are we EVER going to roam endlessly outside of dungeons? I mean, cmon without them we're just subpar and incapable of doing what we want!! /endsarcasam

I personally see now issue with it... the dungeons i enjoy the most so far are still do able with no change, the activities i enjoy most are still doable (roaming endlessly through zones), i can PvP without even a single change (other then any balance stuff), i really don't see a problem with this... at all...
    Youre in the mmo forums and you find mmos boring, Im heading on over to the twilight forums to add my unecessary and shallow 2 cents.

Quote Originally Posted by Durzlla View Post
    But fencers... without those 2 additional points of stats how are we EVER going to roam endlessly outside of dungeons? I mean, cmon without them we're just subpar and incapable of doing what we want!! /endsarcasam

I personally see now issue with it... the dungeons i enjoy the most so far are still do able with no change, the activities i enjoy most are still doable (roaming endlessly through zones), i can PvP without even a single change (other then any balance stuff), i really don't see a problem with this... at all...
    Blog specifically says Anet are planning continued item progression.

That is as of this time, a fact.

Degree and extent of this item progression is the only bit we don't know yet. However, it is 100% fact [at this time] Arena.net are adding linear progressive gear to the Guild Wars franchise in an expressly bimodal endgame.

Even if the stat difference was +0.01, it would make not change the facts.

Blog specifically says Anet are planning continued item progression.

That is as of this time, a fact.

Degree and extent of this item progression is the only bit we don't know yet. However, it is 100% fact [at this time] Arena.net are adding linear progressive gear to the Guild Wars franchise in an expressly bimodal endgame.

Even if the stat difference was +0.01, it would make not change the facts.
    Meh, as long as i can continue doing my favored activities without needing to get armor from dungeons and w/e i don't really mind, but when i start needing to grind dungeons so i can explore random zones, we're going to have some fucking problems Anet!!

uh sorry but i hoped this game will be different... also i have still fun in this game... but if they start this gear tier stuff im out :/

Damn I really hope that this is just a misunderstanding. This Ascendant type armor should just be a cosmetic thing not a stat increase.

Quote Originally Posted by Moralio View Post
    Damn I really hope that this is just a misunderstanding. This Ascendant type armor should just be a cosmetic thing not a stat increase.
    Not a misunderstanding.

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/l...ascended-gear/

Officially bringing in gear progression to the game.

Well not that I was playing Guild Wars 2 a lot the last month, but fuck you ArenaNET. Doesn't this go against what you said? You're now catering to the crowd that cries for gear progression?

inb4 holy trinity is added
    Last edited by Grable; 2012-11-13 at 06:48 AM.
    "Loss of blood... My only weakness!"
    ~ Warlord Khan, Magicka

Anyway, if you don't already see where I'm going with this, allow me to spell it out: the only meaningful MMORPG "endgame" -- i.e., something novel to do after the progression process is over -- is that of the sandbox.

I'd be sad about adding in progression if I was actually doing dungeons. That being said, I'd like to see what grind there will be for getting this gear before jumping off a cliff.

Here's an example with the difference between Ascended gear and Exotic gear. Not much of a difference at all...

Last edited by carnifex2005; 2012-11-13 at 07:40 AM.

Herald of the Titans Ravenblade's Avatar
    Depends on your angle. Right now it's just 2-3 pts. increase per item amounting to a total of Ø 35 pts. per tier increase. While this is fairly low compared to current increases between each tier the fact that this is going to be the open-ended way of progression means that in worst case in about 1.25 years the blue items will be obsolete and another 4-6 months later green gear will be worthless.

I had hoped the gear would be limited to one dungeon but realistically I hoped it being a one-time exception for the sake of infusion slots. Their addition of saying it will be just the first step in their item progression iniative makes even the most optimistic of the worst cases (flat linear increase, 2-3 months per new gear level) a bit worrisome. While the power creep may never reach the level of games which enjoyed a more curvy power curve it's still what it is: stat-based item progression. In a game where stats are a matter of gameplay style this may lead to lop-sided results such as dimishing the choice of importance of playstyles through traits over time. I could be wrong but that's what I gathered after first glance.

PS: I am ignoring the infusion slot thing - already accepted the possibility of it being exactly the same thing as in GW1 before that anyway.
    Last edited by Ravenblade; 2012-11-13 at 08:11 AM.
    WoW: Crowcloak (Druid) @ Sylvanas EU (retired) | GW2: Siqqa (Asura Engineer) @ Piken Square EU
    If builders built houses the way programmers built programs,the first woodpecker to come along would destroy civilization. - Weinberg's 2nd law

My Deus Ex:HR soundtrack mixes
    [FLAC version (3.5 GB)]

Well by that ring it's a little over 7% increase in stats. Seems fairly significant to me.

And about the infusion comparison to GW1, well in the first game you could infuse any armor. Here you only have infusion slots for ascended armor. So it is much more similar to radiance gear in lotro or resistance gear in wow.

Not a misunderstanding.

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/l...ascended-gear/

Officially bringing in gear progression to the game.
    Ugh, and Skelington was glad that they didn't have spectral agony in this game. It was such a pointless mechanic and the game was designed around the debuff never even being a threat in the first place, despite infusion being incredibly important, so it's hard to believe this is going to be much different. The offensive/defensive infusions might be neat, but needing it for some super powerful one shot monster attack and making it in the forge is just annoying.

The Patient
    Another change of heart by ANet, it's becoming quite common now.

I don't see how this becomes a vertival progression as a fact now. What I read is that ascended gear is essentially exotic gear with built in slot-upgrades, to free up the slot for infusion. And all She wrote about future item progression was adding ascended gear for other slots, which to me is not exactly a tiered progression in stats.

What I don't understand is....rings and accessiores ok, they have only stats in their slots. but what about weapon and armor slots? they are much more specific in what goes in them, things like 'my shouts heal conditions' or 'I summon ravens to attack'

Herald of the Titans Ravenblade's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    Well by that ring it's a little over 7% increase in stats. Seems fairly significant to me.
    Oh don't get me wrong, it definitely is no matter how you look at it but compared to the other per tier increases it is smaller which is why they liked to use 'slightly' as term. Even so they can't stretch it to say 1% per tier because people want *significant* increases. Well, people that want vertical progression that is.

Quote Originally Posted by Corros View Post
    I don't see how this becomes a vertival progression as a fact now. What I read is that ascended gear is essentially exotic gear with built in slot-upgrades, to free up the slot for infusion. And all She wrote about future item progression was adding ascended gear for other slots, which to me is not exactly a tiered progression in stats.
    It's already stronger, your character gets progressively stronger by acquiring these over exotics.

The very fact that item progression is shifting from looks to stats is a sign of paradigm change, one which not only is controversial but may overall turn out to be detrimental to the game's reputation as a whole.

Also if you are reading the Future of Items Progression paragraph again then there are thinly veiled hints about their plans. That means stat-based item progression is a fact now and not fiction anymore.

It also concerns me that they are not talking of level 80 content as endgame content now. What happened to endgame begins at level 2?
    Last edited by Ravenblade; 2012-11-13 at 10:27 AM.
    WoW: Crowcloak (Druid) @ Sylvanas EU (retired) | GW2: Siqqa (Asura Engineer) @ Piken Square EU
    If builders built houses the way programmers built programs,the first woodpecker to come along would destroy civilization. - Weinberg's 2nd law

My Deus Ex:HR soundtrack mixes
    [FLAC version (3.5 GB)]

The new additions in November are just the start of our item progression initiative. We’re going to add tons of new high-level content to Guild Wars 2 in the future. As we introduce the new high-level content, we’ll also roll out complimentary Ascended and Legendary items (to say nothing of the other rewards you can earn by playing the content).
    100 GW fans: "We don't want gear progression"
    100000 players: "We want gear progression"

me: it's the design decision not to have gear progression, there are many ways to get the best statistical loot, bla bla...

the first time I'm absolutely not happy with a design decision... and I feel pretty damn stupid now, telling people what they can expect in GW2