Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Milkshake86 View Post
    but we have atleast 3 new ones incoming.
    Wait what? Last I recall there's only the Wii U coming.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Drunkenvalley View Post
    also new ps4 is soon to be announced and xbox 720 info has been leaked quite some time ago i believe.

Quote Originally Posted by Crusader Cronus View Post
    Unfortunately I feel like console gamers are going to switch building their own set-top gaming PCs any time soon. It's hard enough to convince most of guys wanting prebuilts how easy it is, and how much more they get out of building it themselves.

I do think it would be interesting if these building sites start offering boxes with better performance than consoles for around or a bit more money (and then less, over time) and greater performance than the next generation of consoles. But I figure there will still be that apprehension to switch to something most people consider more troublesome (and sometimes it is) than the consoles they're used to. It could be a good bridge between the two demographics though.

For current PC gamers though, it could be a possible outlet for extra parts coming from upgrades. Not bad to have a box like that for certain games in the living room when you just want to lay back and play a platformer or hack-n-slash or (anything produced by Ubisoft) something.
    I have a self-built PC. My issue isn't needing to get a capable computer. My problem lies in convincing me to dump 9+ years of personal achievement and online friends and the like I've got on Xbox LIVE. I'm not going to just throw all of that away, repurchase all of my games, and start again, especially when it comes to not having titles like Halo, Gears of War, and Forza on PC. I mean, that covers my favorite FPS and racing game, plus racing and sports games never feel as good on mouse/keyboard, and if I use a controller for them, what is the purpose in leaving a console in the first place?

Wii is coming the soonest, its been known for atleast 2011/2012 that 2013 holidays would yield the new consoles, possibly earlier. The new xbox will feature a form of windows 8 etc

Quote Originally Posted by shroudster View Post
    also new ps4 is soon to be announced and xbox 720 info has been leaked quite some time ago i believe.
    I know they'll come out eventually, but I don't consider it relevant to consider them "incoming" with no description as to their release.

Deleted
    still it won't change game developers to make better (graphical) games since tablets and smartphones are the money milk cow for that.
    somewhere,sometime, something went horrible wrong when quality of games lost it. (i don't even recall "bad games" from my childhood)

still it won't change game developers to make better (graphical) games since tablets and smartphones are the money milk cow for that.
    somewhere,sometime, something went horrible wrong when quality of games lost it. (i don't even recall "bad games" from my childhood)
    That's a bad statement. When you're a kid, your expectations and standards are much lower. I mean, anything with lights, sounds, and funny voices entertain you. I loved Power Rangers as a kid, but I certainly don't watch it anymore. The acting and storytelling are both terrible and redundant. Also, try Dexter's Lab: Mandark's Lab on the original PlayStation. I remember renting that and beating it in about an hour. It was awful.

Beyond that, I don't recall any game from my childhood (SNES, N64, GBC, GBA, GBASP) that told stories as well as many games (like Assassin's Creed, Halo, Gears of War, Kingdom Hearts, and so on) do now. I mean, think about the great titles of the past. What was the plot of Donkey Kong Country? How deep were the characters in Super Mario Bros.? The games were VERY basic on those fronts, but they rarely had terrible gameplay because of how simplistic it was--run, jump, fall, die, maybe with a few powerups. The games of the past never had to account for online play for weapon balance and such, nor did they handle multiple game modes and DLC.

The point I am getting at is this game of nostalgia where EVERYTHING is worse than it used to be is silly and misguided. There might not have been as many noteworthy bad games in the past (ET, anyone?), but there also weren't 3 major gaming platforms working within a multi-billion dollar industry churning out 100 games per year from dozens of developers.

Where exactly have you been, lol? I know that the game industry was pretty much scraping together a reboot after a huge breakdown around the time I started caring about videogames.

Games went downhill on the release of CALL OF DUTY 4 : MODERN WARFARE, single handed it went upon the destruction of hard games and needing skill. To this day on release I can go 30+ kills in every COD since mw1, halo changed ranks to be like cod Gears of war did the same, wow has catered to worse and worse players they proved on release day 1 thing if its a joke and easy everyone will buy it netting you more money.

Until official or at least reliable leaks of the supposed new consoles are released, all the talks are just speculation and hopeful wishing at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Milkshake86 View Post
    Games went downhill on the release of CALL OF DUTY 4 : MODERN WARFARE, single handed it went upon the destruction of hard games and needing skill. To this day on release I can go 30+ kills in every COD since mw1, halo changed ranks to be like cod Gears of war did the same, wow has catered to worse and worse players they proved on release day 1 thing if its a joke and easy everyone will buy it netting you more money.
    What's your point? Random spam or trying to say game studios lack imagination? Mainstream non-Nintendo games have been like this for quite some time; You'll have to look for indie-games or new series to break into mainstream for renewing genres.

Valve are not planning on building their own console. What you are doing there is beta-testing the TV interface that will be released in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    Valve are not planning on building their own console. What you are doing there is beta-testing the TV interface that will be released in the future.
    Denying future plans as a corporation doesn't mean a whole lot these days.
    Valve has hired people for hardware recently and they have said they want to launch a new "input-device" (think controller/mouse/keyboard).
    They've also expressed careful interest in other platforms.

The console-thought isn't entirely ruled out just because they've denied it.

Deleted
    Where exactly have you been, lol? I know that the game industry was pretty much scraping together a reboot after a huge breakdown around the time I started caring about videogames.
    My intended point was the graphical aspect of new games still being held back allot due to console gen being outdated at best.(and will remain from what speccs i've seen on the new xbox 720 or the Wii U). I've been around seeing games improving allot over eachother in just 1year time when i was young compared to minor tweaks being what is good enough nowadays.(looking at you codbo2/moh warfighter)
    also the way console to pc porting is active now ,should actually be reversed for it to work. (aka get better pc games and still the same console ones)

As for making your own console with hardware you pick that sounds good, but they do need to have the software to support it. (all settings unlocked etc)
    Last edited by mmoce1d4ab16bc; 2012-11-14 at 09:39 AM.

We're second-thought when it comes to most games not designed solely for the PC. With the size of our demographic it's much more sound from an economic perspective to design a cheaper game for consoles and port it over than to pour a lot of money and effort into assets and frequent costly engine upgrades the consoles can't handle. We're an afterthought when it comes to most AAA titles, because we're the smallest market for them.

So yes, I agree it makes more sense from a system capabilities standpoint. But it's a pipe dream so long as the PC market remains an afterthought. The growth is a good sign though, so long as it's not simply a result of the ever-aging console generation.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    a while back they also denied that they were working on a linux client, on teh other hand, they have said that they are working on HL3, so by that logic, we'll see a gaming shift to linux, there will be a steam box on the shelves, and HL3 will never be released

As for making your own console with hardware you pick that sounds good, but they do need to have the software to support it. (all settings unlocked etc)
    ideally thats how it would work, you build a PC similar to a HTPC, but powerful enough to run games at 1080p, and use an interface like big picture as the UI, game settings wouldn't change from PC, (except for OpenGL vs DX depending whether you use linux or windows)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Crusader Cronus View Post
    We're second-thought when it comes to most games not designed solely for the PC. With the size of our demographic it's much more sound from an economic perspective to design a cheaper game for consoles and port it over than to pour a lot of money and effort into assets and frequent costly engine upgrades the consoles can't handle. We're an afterthought when it comes to most AAA titles, because we're the smallest market for them.

So yes, I agree it makes more sense from a system capabilities standpoint. But it's a pipe dream so long as the PC market remains an afterthought. The growth is a good sign though, so long as it's not simply a result of the ever-aging console generation.
    Still i can't think of a good reason why they are putting a gpu from 2008/2009 in the next xbox720. (apart from a money PoV)
    demographics are changing pretty fast to cling on to a certain old model for the future would make little sense.

Still i can't think of a good reason why they are putting a gpu from 2008/2009 in the next xbox720. (apart from a money PoV)
    demographics are changing pretty fast to cling on to a certain old model for the future would make little sense.
    Can you give a source on that? I've heard pretty much every GPU under the sun has at some point been planned for the darn thing.

Last article I read it was supposedly a 7000 series model in the "720," but since I'm not sure where or when I did read that I can't say it with any real accuracy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Can you give a source on that? I've heard pretty much every GPU under the sun has at some point been planned for the darn thing.
    it was originally a HD6770 iirc, after being laughed at by the pc crowd they revised it to a hd6870 or hd7770

The funny thing is, despite having, what, a 2004/2005 GPU in the Xbox now, the games manage to get better. No, it's not PC-quality, but my point is that they don't NEED a $400, cutting-edge GPU in a console to make good-looking games. Yes, price is the issue here. If they start building consoles with high-end PC parts, then the consoles are going to cost $800+ and drive people away. The points of PC gaming over console is REALLY that a console is more affordable than a gaming PC.

I personally still don't see myself ever going fully to PC gaming beyond WoW and a few other titles I have on PC because of the longevity of my gaming on Xbox LIVE and the lack of ANYTHING on the level of Halo, Gears of War, or Forza on the PC. If they EVER get around to releasing new Quake and Unreal titles on PC, I'd probably get THEM on PC, as their online communities never really take off on console (except for the first Unreal Championship back in 2002/2003, which was one of the first Xbox LIVE FPS titles and was GREAT fun).

I've questioned two route for console hardware for a little while now.

1. They could make the GPU in the console accessible and swappable. this would help upgrade graphics in consoles to a greater level, while hopefully preventing any potential "holding back" of PC graphics to cater to consoles. You could just do like PC games now, where you have a graphics setting. Sell the console with a baseline GPU for $250-300, or sell an empty one for maybe $150-200 and let you pick your GPU. The downside here would be if kids and parents were confused by the two-console model (buying the GPU-less machine thinking it's just cheap), and the potential confusion over "what's a GPU?" from those same people. I guess Best Buy could price gouge a GPU installation that takes 30 seconds and charge $150 for it, they love that stuff (remember when they had a $130 console installation service?).

2. They could replace consoles with HDDs. Sell an Xbox OS on a hard drive, let people slap it into a desktop PC (maybe have 2.5" versions as well, perhaps USB-capable drives for laptops?), and use their current PC hardware to run games. The OBVIOUS downside here being that you'd have to get Xbox games onto a PC-compliant disc format (if they're not already), or people would have to get new disc drives (if you don't go to all-digital sales). There might also have to be a MASSIVE software overhaul to get the OS compatible with PC hardware over console hardware (which I don't think is 100% the same). I'd love this route, but I think it'd be a much slower one.

I was also just thinking of another...

3. Just let us link our Xbox LIVE accounts to Steam and do Xbox LIVE through it. Make separate lobbies/servers (or even launchers, if you want) for using a controller vs. a mouse-keyboard setup, so they're not getting mixed together and controller-using players aren't getting DESTROYED. Like I said, the major roadblock from having me go to PC gaming is that I do not want to give up all of my friends and achievements (they're just visuals, but still sentimentally meaningful, I guess) of the past 9+ years.