Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiry View Post
    I disagree. I had to flex my creative writing skills once I became a manager. Trust me, getting to the point and saying it straight is not favorable to most upper level management. They want a story.
    That isn't really creative writing like what he is talking about. I'm pretty sure you are talking about how to creatively phrase what you want to say to get the optimal effect.

Quote Originally Posted by Phookah View Post
    And any job that takes half a brain that you want to be successful at requires you to be smart, creative and able to think outside the box
    Again, those skills are not the same as the creative writing the OP mentions.

Quote Originally Posted by Artravus View Post
    Writing, but not creative writing. Creative writing is pointless for every career but a writer, writing is important.
    While technical writing is certainly a specific skill that's different, every sort of writing will improve an individual's skill, and they're all valuable to become accustomed to at a young age.

Quote Originally Posted by Chrno View Post
    HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLD it right there son,

pretty much all jobs require you to think of creative solutions.
    Pretty much all jobs with decent pay require some creativity, and its not limited to illustration or design, computer programming, science, medical ALL require some degree of creativity.

Serving fast food or moping the floor not so much.

10+ Year Old Account
    The problem is really more that parents are not given incentive to encourage their children to be creative at home - not that they are forced to be creative in school. Being Creative should be something that children simply *are*.
    Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    Gold and the 'need' for it in-game is easily one of the most overblown mindsets in this community.

By the way, there's one of these, "why do I have to do X?" threads about every other week or so, and they always just strike me as the most childish shit I can imagine. It seems impossible that anyone who has a real career would be so petulant about just doing some shit that they don't really want to do.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SooFaded View Post
    Well all it does is make me frustrated, so it clearly doesn't work.
    That's like saying "Well I don't like this in school, so clearly it's not important."
    Just suck it up and make something up. If you can't, guess you'll have to take the 0.

15+ Year Old Account
    because the CEO's and geniuses of the world are all creative and they spend each day brainstorming new ideas and new possibilities. They're all where they're at in life because they took the initiative to think.

I deal with kids on a daily basis. They are not creative. They are forced out of being creative if anything.

I post videos! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iG9CE55wbtY
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDZFcDGpL4U

Deleted
    Back in 7th and 8th grade, I was required to write 4 stories per year in my English class. And why did I have to do that? I don't want to be no goddamned author.
    Might have helped preventing those double negatives though..
    On topic, most professions require creativity and spontaneity which go hand in hand, so it's good to give kids a chance to show and improve theirs.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Knight Gil View Post
    Why was I forced to take math in school when I am taking an art degree right now?
    Because you'll need it when you realize that there's no future of being an artist

10+ Year Old Account
    Whatever the reasoning, I fully support some creative something in school. That "creative" piece has quite a few choices. The more people thought in different ways on a problem, or a view of an object or just flat out respect or admiring for something "cool" - the better. Life doesn't have to be black/white.

edit: I do find it interesting that many artists have to use math. Geometry!
    Playing
    WildStar -Mechari Medic, Draken Stalker
    Diablo: RoS
    GW2 - Ranger

Quote Originally Posted by Kiry View Post
    Whatever the reasoning, I fully support some creative something in school. That "creative" piece has quite a few choices. The more people thought in different ways on a problem, or a view of an object or just flat out respect or admiring for something "cool" - the better. Life doesn't have to be black/white.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alasuya View Post
    Pretty much all jobs with decent pay require some creativity, and its not limited to illustration or design, computer programming, science, medical ALL require some degree of creativity.

Serving fast food or moping the floor not so much.
    I swear responses like this are from people who read the name of the thread and didn't read the OP. He is specifically talking about creative writing, particularly being forced to create and name a main character for some type of story. That isn't something used in most professions. Yeah, creativity in general is important.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sesshou View Post
    Again, those skills are not the same as the creative writing the OP mentions.
    Creative writing doesn't just teach you how to write creative things. It also teaches you how to think creatively. That's what education is really about, not so much that you'll remember the exact first 10 digits of pi, but that you'll learn how to THINK in newer, better, and braver ways than before.

You'll never get anywhere in life if you don't want to think. And that's really what the OP's complaint strikes me as: "I don't want to think!"
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

because once you get out of school, there isnt much room for creativity

Quote Originally Posted by Masterpd85 View Post
    because the CEO's and geniuses of the world are all creative and they spend each day brainstorming new ideas and new possibilities. They're all where they're at in life because they took the initiative to think.
    This is a joke right.... RIGHT>!>>!?!?

As to be expected, many people here clearly know what life is all about and anyone who might wanna do things a little differently is nothing but a complainer. No matter what topic on the internet, this attitude is in abundance.

You also have to take biology, chemistry, and history in school but many people don't directly use that knowledge in their line of work. However, part of the point of the education system (imo) is to create well-rounded individuals who have at least a basic level of understanding in many fundamental fields of knowledge out of all of us, and forcing you to be creative is a part of that, except at an even more base level than the specific knowledge you are taught in other courses.
    Q: Where the fuck is Xia Xia, SIU?!?!
    A1: She needs to start making eggs for Easter...
    A2: Drunk and sleeping somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post
    Creative writing doesn't just teach you how to write creative things. It also teaches you how to think creatively. That's what education is really about, not so much that you'll remember the exact first 10 digits of pi, but that you'll learn how to THINK in newer, better, and braver ways than before.

You'll never get anywhere in life if you don't want to think. And that's really what the OP's complaint strikes me as: "I don't want to think!"
    Your proof that creative writing is the best way to teach those skills is where? There are other ways to stimulate creative problem solving skills which is what most people in this thread are actually saying are important.

Deleted
    Don't worry, other people have frustrations in your delights.

Can always write some stuff or just take a 0 grade for it or whatever it gives. Up to oneself of course. The courses don't aim be good for everyone or be interesting or useful for everyone. Now you learned that being creative is not a strong side of yours and/or don't like it and forced you to think about it. Maybe there's some use in that? If you're a logical kind of person then there are people for whom logic makes no sense and thus have a hard time in subjects like Math. I say give it your honest effort and it if doesn't work out, then turn in what you got. Get help if you need it. Use resources, study groups/parents/classmates/teachers, research internet and books for any extra info. That's about the advice I would give to anyone in college or whatever about study habits and how to deal with the courses. You can't do better than you can. Spend extra time on subjects where it is needed.

Probably because you don't use that part of your brain often. Brain is a muscle and it's just like all other muscles: the less you use it, the more you lose it.