Page 1 of 4
1
2
3
... LastLast
  1. #1

    Botting. I don't think we should care.

    I have been noticing a tremendous amount of complaints about botting but I still cannot grasp why anyone cares. Well firstly let me say botting is bad, and Blizzard needs to control it, but at this point I don't see it as a problem.

    You can still make a small fortune working the AH in a matter of days (let the bots farm). Frankly aside from a few ruined battlegrounds where is botting hurting anyone? Endgame is unaffected (arena, raiding).

    Opinions?
    Quote Originally Posted by Gul'dan View Post
    There will be no dawn within these forums.

  2. #2
    Mechagnome Elpalmo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Christchurch, NZ
    Posts
    742
    What...? :/

  3. #3
    If botting didn't exist the small amount of gold I have now would be worth relatively more than currently.

    Also it does kinda suck to go into a bg with 14 other people and have 13 of them be bots. Pretty much makes bgs pointless to go into and completely ruins them. 1 on each side I feel is the maximum "acceptable" amount. (btw its less of a problem at lvl 90, but some of the levelling brackets are atrocious)

  4. #4
    Because botting has literally ruined PvP for a lot of people. Not that I care much about PvP anymore, but when I do play it, Arena is not my preferred format, I prefer battlegrounds.

  5. #5
    I'm not sure I really understand your point. Bots aren't ruining the game or anything, but Blizzard does need to continue to stay on top of it to keep it from becoming a huge problem. I think they do a pretty good job (I've never personally encountered an obvious bot), but they definitely shouldn't just stop worrying about it.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Willfox View Post
    If botting didn't exist the small amount of gold I have now would be worth relatively more than currently.

    Also it does kinda suck to go into a bg with 14 other people and have 13 of them be bots. Pretty much makes bgs pointless to go into and completely ruins them. 1 on each side I feel is the maximum "acceptable" amount. (btw its less of a problem at lvl 90, but some of the levelling brackets are atrocious)
    i wager the majority of raw materials like ore and herbs is farmed by bots. less bots would mean higher prices on materials, as there would obviously a lot less sellers compared to a relatively equal amount of buyers, meaning relativly higher expenses for necessities and crafted items. you dont really think you would get flasks for a 100g a piece or darkmoon cards for affordable prices on the first faire without the help of bots do you?

    yeah bots might ruin your gameplay experience, but again thats because pretty much everyone seems to run very "standart" profiles. if they had individual routines and patterns of behaviour it wouldnt be so obvious and even less annoying. a bot isnt necessarily a pushover, you might outsmart him at any time, but hardly outreact him. while he is certainly not the intended competition or challenge he certainly can be one.

  7. #7
    I failed to add I figure without bots crafting materials would skyrocket, and I don't think anybody wants that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gul'dan View Post
    There will be no dawn within these forums.

  8. #8
    I am Murloc! Airwaves's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Australia! G-day Mate!... (We don't really speak like that)
    Posts
    5,673
    Yes because losing bg after bg because half the team aren't real people is fantastic!. Also the less bots the more gold i can make .
    Angels and Airwaves
    Aldmeri Dominion - Imperial - Templar - Laethys - High Elf - Assassin - Frostmourne - Orc - Rogue - Sea of Sorrows - Norn - Thief
    Borderlands 2 - Mechromancer - Battlefield 4 - Engineer - Diablo 3 - Wizard

  9. #9
    I don't really remember seeing bots when I used to play, but bots are annoying, especially when you're farming mats.... Herbs, in Uldum, to be more accurate.

  10. #10
    Bots farming mats is no big deal to me. So be it, makes having every profession except gathering more worth it to me. In BGs it does suck though :/

  11. #11
    get up, check bot, auction stuff, resume bot, got to work, come home, have dinner, auction stuff, raid, resume bot, watch a movie, go to sleep, repeat.

    the bot takes away the necessity to immerse oneself in the abnegation, the mindlessness wow requires you to experience when you are tasked with extremly time intensive repititive tasks. sitting in stormpeaks for three days or flying in circles through uldum? farming excessive amount of stacks or weeds to grind them down to ink to get that BiS item you basically have to have to not burden your fellow raid members? the insane time it takes to farm particles for crafted epic armor the first raid week to be prepared as best as you can? leveling your 5th toon through the same content?
    those are tasks that are no fun in my opinion and a simple tool can take those off my hands. i suppose this is the industrial revolition dilema all over again.
    Last edited by Runenwächter; 2012-11-13 at 03:23 AM.

  12. #12
    Titan Synthaxx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Rotherham, England/UK
    Posts
    13,063
    Botting, along with one "minor" change, killed my interest in WoW (hence why i unsubbed). I've no interest in PVPing with non-sentient half-assed AI code that uses waypoints with no random factor. Yes, i've been paying attention for the past few years. I'd totally love to see some random points along the map that open up WITH DEADLY LAVA, or areas that randomly teleport them to the base that has the most enemies. Totally screw up their pathing.

    Ironically, i've seen keyboard turners that are worse than bots. Not because they keyboard turn (that was just something i noticed), but just because they were bad. Watching a whole group of them on both sides skirmish at tower point in AV is extremely amusing (5 Horde players verified, and i saw a total of 4 actual Alliance players), but it's not usually a case of it being fun to watch. It's usually the depressing case that your teams bots are worse than the enemy team bots and you lost because of it.
    Coder, Gamer - IOCube | #Error418MasterRace #ScottBrokeIt
    Knows: Node.js, JS + JQuery, HTML + CSS, Object Pascal, PHP, WQL/SQL

    PC: 750D / 16GB / 256GB + 750GB / GTX780 / 4670K / Z87X-UD4H | Laptop: 8GB / 120GB + 480GB / GTX765M / 4700MQ

  13. #13
    Bots in BG's makes them completely pointless to participate in. Which is a shame, because they're the only really 'fun' version of PvP the game offers, outside rather rare open world scenarios.

    But PvE botting? Can't say I care much at all.
    Benevolence is a luxury for the strong - Wrathion

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Runenwächter View Post
    i wager the majority of raw materials like ore and herbs is farmed by bots. less bots would mean higher prices on materials, as there would obviously a lot less sellers compared to a relatively equal amount of buyers, meaning relativly higher expenses for necessities and crafted items. you dont really think you would get flasks for a 100g a piece or darkmoon cards for affordable prices on the first faire without the help of bots do you?

    yeah bots might ruin your gameplay experience, but again thats because pretty much everyone seems to run very "standart" profiles. if they had individual routines and patterns of behaviour it wouldnt be so obvious and even less annoying. a bot isnt necessarily a pushover, you might outsmart him at any time, but hardly outreact him. while he is certainly not the intended competition or challenge he certainly can be one.
    I buy almost nothing outside of epic flying. I generally farm my own mats. It basically means anything rare on the BMAH is bought up by someone using a bot with 1million gold that I can't compete with though. Raid items too (boes), not many bots run them, it drives up the gold value of them because some people have the gold to pay ridiculous amounts to get stuff.

    Bots are a pushover because they are not overly intelligent.

  15. #15
    Dreadlord Nexsa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Azeroth
    Posts
    784
    Bots are just annoying overall and will continue to be for as long as people make bots for games.

    It will never end and even trying to get them banned is hard. I've reported a lot the last few weeks, and each time a GM dealt with them, the next day another one would be in the same area as the last doing the same paths for nodes.

    They have to many accounts as back up and from all the real life money they make off selling gold, buying a new accounts one after another is no problem for them.

  16. #16
    Brewmaster Orangetai420's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Syracuse, NY
    Posts
    1,359
    I stopped giving a fuck a long time ago, and let me tell you, it works wonders.

    Botting is never, ever, ever, ever going away; so just get used to it.

    Lower your expectations and you'll never be disappointed.
    Blue text indicates sarcasm or joking.

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by Willfox View Post
    I buy almost nothing outside of epic flying. I generally farm my own mats. It basically means anything rare on the BMAH is bought up by someone using a bot with 1million gold that I can't compete with though. Raid items too (boes), not many bots run them, it drives up the gold value of them because some people have the gold to pay ridiculous amounts to get stuff.

    Bots are a pushover because they are not overly intelligent.
    well then you obviously have a lot of time on your hands or you are not very involed in pve, as you obviously need one or several toons with gathering professions and at least one toon for raiding who has crafting professions, since those are very much superior as everyone knows. lucky you!

    though a million is not the end of the flagpole, i doubt the majority of botters actually have that much. if you are going for those amounts you would do better playing the auction house big time. there is only so much money one character can gather in herbs and ores and stuff in a set amount of time.

    "not smart" does not equal "pushover". an aggressive eight foot musclebrain retard isnt a pushover either. so in a battleground where you rarely get any fortunate 1on1 situations an arms warrior, deathknight, or beastmaster bot who unleashes all cooldowns on you and your team (of bots), uses interupts, stuns, silence and other forms of cc not randomly but after a clear defined set of rather usefull but universal rules isnt only at least a huge nuisance but a real threat to most players. hell, ive seen bots do 30 to 0 killstreaks more than once.
    im not saying the bot will outsmart or outplay YOU specifically. perhaps you are good at pvp, perhaps YOU can beat the bot. but then again you cant be everywhere at all times, and quite frankly? most people are not that good.

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by Zulathar View Post
    I failed to add I figure without bots crafting materials would skyrocket, and I don't think anybody wants that.
    Those of us with gathering professions disagree with you. But thanks for speaking for everybody.

  19. #19
    What's to understand, you get your ass handed to you in a BG because half your team is bots, pretty straightforward negative experience.

    Quote Originally Posted by Zulathar View Post
    I failed to add I figure without bots crafting materials would skyrocket, and I don't think anybody wants that.
    Yeah the people selling them want that lol.

  20. #20
    Immortal Maklor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    7,648
    I could mention several reasons why botting is a problem... but I wont.

    Even if it didn't affect me I would still be against it, like any form of cheating.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •