Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    I swear Zeeks post counts has tripled since the release of this ascendancy news :P I really cant get involved in this conversation, too much back and forth, everyone knows Im happy to have a bash at anet but even I didn't see them going against such an integral design philosophy. I dont know if this will have a big effect or not, likelihood is it wont really.
    See even dray doesn't think it'll be all doom and gloom and he normally is leading the charge with his yappity lap dog Bo against Anet at every opportunity! Clearly it's not as big of a deal as some of you are making it out to be xD!

Ps: your avatar went from me wanting to impale my monitor to be laughing everytime I see it, I approve xD.
    Youre in the mmo forums and you find mmos boring, Im heading on over to the twilight forums to add my unecessary and shallow 2 cents.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeek Daniels View Post
    If you want Anet to design more challenging PvE content outside of this new dungeon then be patient and wait...Tho after looking at the video i suggest you do play with it at its lowest difficulties, cuz the mini dungeons look awesome.
    This is precisely what I will be doing. Don't get me wrong, I still enjoy the game overall. I think that there are still some issues they need to iron out with their class design, distinction and balance, but overall it is a fun game. However, that still doesn't change the fact that they flat out lied about their design decisions and manifesto, so now I can't trust any of their other design decisions that they promised either.

normally is leading the charge with his yappity lap dog Bo against Anet at every opportunity!
    You keep trying so hard, it's cute. =)

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone Jack View Post
    This is precisely what I will be doing. Don't get me wrong, I still enjoy the game overall. I think that there are still some issues they need to iron out with their class design, distinction and balance, but overall it is a fun game. However, that still doesn't change the fact that they flat out lied about their design decisions and manifesto, so now I can't trust any of their other design decisions that they promised either.
    False, they haven't lied about it yet, is that ascension gear mandatory for content? (Difficulty increase =/= content), no? Then they haven't lied, they said MANDATORY gear grind, ascension is hardly mandatory...
    Youre in the mmo forums and you find mmos boring, Im heading on over to the twilight forums to add my unecessary and shallow 2 cents.

False, they haven't lied about it yet, is that ascension gear mandatory for content? (Difficulty increase =/= content), no? Then they haven't lied, they said MANDATORY gear grind, ascension is hardly mandatory...
    If I had tried that same logic with you two weeks ago as a reason to bring another tier of gear above Exotic into the game, you would have attacked me relentlessly for "Playing the wrong game" and "Trying to turn GW2 into WoW".

That's a big reason why this entire topic is pretty darn funny right now. =)

Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    You keep trying so hard, it's cute. =)
    Lol nah I gave up on trying hard a while ago, in all honesty you're like drake, you repeate the same argument over and over like a yippy mantra and ignore things others say, dray at least acknowledges the points before dismissing them lol, and his arguments tend to change, which is why he leads the charge as you yip in the background

Lol nah I gave up on trying hard a while ago, in all honesty you're like drake, you repeate the same argument over and over like a yippy mantra and ignore things others say, dray at least acknowledges the points before dismissing them lol, and his arguments tend to change, which is why he leads the charge as you yip in the background
    It's funny because here you are attacking me personally instead of my posts, while at the same time bashing the quality of my posting.

The humor of that might be lost on you, but it's good stuff!

If I had tried that same logic with you two weeks ago as a reason to bring another tier of gear above Exotic into the game, you would have attacked me relentlessly for "Playing the wrong game" and "Trying to turn GW2 into WoW".

That's a big reason why this entire topic is pretty darn funny right now. =)
    You talk about adding entire tiers and then more tiers ontop of that, this is one set of gear that is that no more from here (legendaries don't count we already knew those are coming) what you suggest breaks the manifesto because you want to force people to grind for gear in one instance so they can do another one IE a treadmill.

---------- Post added 2012-11-14 at 02:21 PM ----------

It's funny because here you are attacking me personally instead of my posts, while at the same time bashing the quality of my posting.

The humor of that might be lost on you, but it's good stuff!
    Your welcome sir!! Your welcome!! And don't forget I'm bashing drake while bashing you and te quality of what you post (god I'm counting down until I recieve an infraction I give it 5min)

Your welcome sir!! Your welcome!! And don't forget I'm bashing drake while bashing you and te quality of what you post (god I'm counting down until I recieve an infraction I give it 5min)
    Well, in any case we should both probably behave before the men in white coats come.

What special human would compare wow's gear treadmill with this one

Well, in any case we should both probably behave before the men in white coats come.
    Lol probably true, I feel like we should just agree to disagree on the ascended topic until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    +1, +0.01, +1000 stat increases are not at all relevant to this discussion.

Anet will be adding gear progression to the Guild Wars franchise as a point of fact. This stuff about greens and blues-- that is all in your imagination currently.
    Let me ask you a different way. A/Net don't have thousands of developers sitting in the wings churning out new content. There is a limit to how much new content can be created. There are certain players (just look at all of the 80, 100% and bored threads that were created) who burn through content at an extraordinary rate. Spending a huge number of hours in the game. The only way that A/Net can cater for these players in some shape or form is to have a limited progression. There are only so many new mechanics that can be added to existing fights that keep them interesting in the same gear. Agony is a way for them to try and cater for those players without impacting the other players. I would like to see the Ascended items unusable in WvWvW, but that's about it. It otherwise shouldnt effect the rest of the players. Especially if they make the progression "stats" only relevant in the progression dungeons.

I'm honestly ok with a bit of a content taking some work to obtain. That's what makes it fun, the joy of putting in the effort and overcoming something that wasn't just a given you would overcome. There is no real success without the possibility of failure. They just need to make sure that people aren't failing *all* the time because that's not much fun either. : P

Let me ask you a different way. A/Net don't have thousands of developers sitting in the wings churning out new content. There is a limit to how much new content can be created. There are certain players (just look at all of the 80, 100% and bored threads that were created) who burn through content at an extraordinary rate. Spending a huge number of hours in the game. The only way that A/Net can cater for these players in some shape or form is to have a limited progression.
    What're you're saying here is true, I can't deny that. I think where part of the disappointment comes from though, is that people really thought that A.Net would be creative/inventive/inspired enough to be able to pull it off anyway. Then something like this happens, and it's a blow to that faith. It makes people (or just me, at least) think, "Wow. Maybe they don't have the ideas or the inspiration after all. Maybe this really is the best they've got."

Take me, for instance. I have a lot of issues with the game, that's well known I'm sure. But I stick around because I see so much potential in the game. It's like seeing an amazing car in a garage, only it has no tires. And you're thinking, "Holy crap, come on! Just put some tires on that thing and lets go! Why is it just sitting there?"

What're you're saying here is true, I can't deny that. I think where part of the disappointment comes from though, is that people really thought that A.Net would be creative/inventive/inspired enough to be able to pull it off anyway. Then something like this happens, and it's a blow to that faith. It makes people (or just me, at least) think, "Wow. Maybe they don't have the ideas or the inspiration after all. Maybe this really is the best they've got."
    I do think they are quite good at getting new content out there and do have a lot of good ideas. Just look at the Halloween event. They put quite a lot into it. I just think they underestimated how much time people would spend online and how used to the whole progression idea some people have become. It doesn't bother me in the slightest. I have my own progression (moving through the world at snails pace trying to finish all of the maps and events) and even that involves getting a full set of exotics. It's taken me 182 hours to get 3 exotics and 1 character to level 80. I think (maybe my big head getting in the way) that I was what they envisaged from most players. What they did get was a lot of people who already played MMO's (and had certain bias's because of that) and a whole chunk of people who had plenty of time to spend on the game in a very short space of time. That may have forced a slight rethink on their part.

IMHO, the response to this would have been different had the included 1 ascended item in the game at the start and had some sort of release plan for new ones. I really like the idea of having something that sits between the exotics (which are a bit too easy to come by) and the legendary (which is really tough).

IMHO, the response to this would have been different had the included 1 ascended item in the game at the start and had some sort of release plan for new ones
    It would have been different, yes. The reason for that is because there was supposed to be a hard ceiling in the gear progression. WHERE that hard ceiling was placed wasn't so relevant, just that it existed. If that ceiling had been Masterwork, Rare, Exotic, Ascendant, ultimately it was fine because that was the established ceiling, that's it, it's set. No more.

When you set the ceiling, and then move it later, THAT will raise eyebrows. It's a very significant shift, and one that rightfully creates some skepticism. It was never supposed to move, but now it just did...so who's to say it won't just move again? Do we trust them if they say it won't move again, given the broken promise of it the first time?

Quote Originally Posted by Gray_Matter View Post
    I do think they are quite good at getting new content out there and do have a lot of good ideas. Just look at the Halloween event. They put quite a lot into it. I just think they underestimated how much time people would spend online and how used to the whole progression idea some people have become. It doesn't bother me in the slightest. I have my own progression (moving through the world at snails pace trying to finish all of the maps and events) and even that involves getting a full set of exotics. It's taken me 182 hours to get 3 exotics and 1 character to level 80. I think (maybe my big head getting in the way) that I was what they envisaged from most players. What they did get was a lot of people who already played MMO's (and had certain bias's because of that) and a whole chunk of people who had plenty of time to spend on the game in a very short space of time. That may have forced a slight rethink on their part.

IMHO, the response to this would have been different had the included 1 ascended item in the game at the start and had some sort of release plan for new ones. I really like the idea of having something that sits between the exotics (which are a bit too easy to come by) and the legendary (which is really tough).
    I gotta agree fully with this, people like me and Gray are the people they were expecting to play the game, and pretty much regardless of what happens (unless they pull a blizzard and completely cut us off of a vast amount of the content they produce) we will continue to play the game because of how slowly we consume content. IF Anet hadn't made the changes to daily and monthly achievements (with the whole added karma thing) there would be NO WAY IN HELL i'd have more then 3 exotic pieces right now, because i just don't play enough to get the materials for it in a timely manner...

However i know i'm in the minority, people are going through content like crazy, i mean fuck... there are people who have hundreds and hundreds and hundreds of hours invested into the game already, i was up there with em.... for the first 2 weeks... then i actually went outside again and whelp.... lets just say there are people who have lapped me quite a few times over that i play with... and despite them still playing the game, it's pretty apparent they want SOMETHING else to do...

This instance with its illusionary progression seems to be exciting most of these bored people quite well because, it's infinite, and it gets harder and harder, that's a true hardcore players wet dream, an infinite amount of content that becomes more challenging and gives them more and more loot the more awesome they are, talk about Epeen booster...

However i know i'm in the minority, people are going through content like crazy, i mean fuck... there are people who have hundreds and hundreds and hundreds of hours invested into the game already,
    I saw a screenshot of a dude with something like 1200 hours played. That confused the heck out of me.

It would have been different, yes. The reason for that is because there was supposed to be a hard ceiling in the gear progression. WHERE that hard ceiling was placed wasn't so relevant, just that it existed. If that ceiling had been Masterwork, Rare, Exotic, Ascendant, ultimately it was fine because that was the established ceiling, that's it, it's set. No more.

When you set the ceiling, and then move it later, THAT will raise eyebrows. It's a very significant shift, and one that rightfully creates some skepticism. It was never supposed to move, but now it just did...so who's to say it won't just move again? Do we trust them if they say it won't move again, given the broken promise of it the first time?
    I feel like a lot of people are more freaking out because they think that the ceiling will be raised AGAIN, where if it doesn't go any higher everything will be forgiven. -I- am assuming they are not going to raise it more which is why i'm not upset, but if they do raise it again, well, as i said in another post i will be going to Anets HQ to burn it to the floor... just saying...

But yeah i agree with the whole hard ceiling thing, i just feel like they made exotics to easy to get, so they bumped up the ceiling and are making ascendant that new, what exotics were SUPPOSED to be, ceiling...

That being said, is it just me or does it seem like we're not going to be seeing ascendant gear for a LOOOOOOOOOOONG time in that dungeon lol? they're implying that you'll be a very good ways in and probably crying from difficulty( *twitches at the mere thought of HM DoA and what this dungeon may be compared to that* ) and if i know Anet... well... they can make content to break your balls and make you cry in a corner for hours on end... again....and again.... and again.....

---------- Post added 2012-11-14 at 04:31 PM ----------

I saw a screenshot of a dude with something like 1200 hours played. That confused the heck out of me.
    I've seen that lol, i know at the beginning i typed /age and was sad about how little life i had, now i do it and it's like "Whelp... that number hasn't changed very much in a while..." tis what happens when you have little time to play the one game you play xD

For me I never thought ascended gear created a traditional gear treadmill. It's just a difficulty raiser.

My main problem with agony is how it is implemented for boss fights. The current dungeons have god awful mechanics and if agony is the only thing that makes the dungeon.... hard... then there is no hope for pve dungeons.

I really hope they redo boss mechanics in the current dungeons. Though I did like the spider guy in story mode TA. It was basiclly a mery go round dodging spider bombs and using our kiting skills. Twas fun.