Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Which one of these, if either?

My Canadian buddy is trying to get a new computer to run WoW on relatively high settings and that he'll be able to play SWTOR on at least minimum graphics.
    Will either of these work for him?

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/...78f084c4b7en02

http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/produ...ca87866028en02

Let me know. Otherwise if you have any other suggestions for around the same price, feel free to post links please!

Thanks for your time!

All-in-ones are NOT meant for gaming. So no, neither of those will do him any good. You're paying a lot for features (like the touchscreen monitor) that won't benefit him at all. He'd be way better off building a computer and buying or reusing a monitor than trying to play games on either of those, or even buying a prebuilt (which I sincerely don't recommend) and upgrading the GPU and PSU. Keep in mind that you can't do anything to upgrade an all-in-one like those either.
    Last edited by Berserker Cronus; 2012-11-13 at 04:19 AM.

Seriously? There is a 500 dollar difference, there is an obvious answer, and there is a reason its double the price.

Frankly, neither for that amount of money.

If he really wants a laptop, tell him to search more there are better out there.

Otherwise get a beast desktop.

10+ Year Old Account
    Just out of curiosity... why the touchscreen?

Anyway, the 1st one: I'd say no. Integrated graphics is not something you want for gaming. The CPU seems rather weak as well if you want to run WoW on (reletively) high settings.

The 2nd one: For that price I'd build a custom PC with much better specs. And defo leave out that touchscreen, it adds (a lot) to the cost of the system.

For games.. Neither.
    ||i5 3570k @ 4.4GHz||H100 push/pull||AsRock Z77 Extreme4||16Gb G.Skill Ripjaws 1600MHz||Gigabyte Windforce GTX 970|| Coolermaster Storm Trooper||Corsair TX850 Enthusiast Series||Samsung 840 Pro 128gb(boot drive)||1TB WD HDD, 2x 3TB WD HDD, 2TB WD HDD||

Bdk Nagrand / Astae Nagrand
    Pokemon X FC: 4656-7679-2545/Trainer Name: Keno

10+ Year Old Account
    He's not just planning on using it for gaming, but he would like for it to run WoW on high settings.
    Will the 2nd one accomplish this goal?

No. He won't even get acceptable performance on the lowest settings. That GPU isn't even comparable to a low-end HTPC card.

10+ Year Old Account
    Don't do either one... they are both pretty bad for any kind of gaming. I'd suggest building one or having one built(a place like Ibuypower.com is a good site to look at). If you're gonna spend 1200 dollars on a computer, do it right.

You can build a gaming rig yourself for 5-600 that would slaughter both of those computers easily. Paying to have it built would be more expensive, obviously, but still within your price range, with money left over.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again.

10+ Year Old Account
    Neither of those even have a graphics card, 1200$ for that hunk of shit? If you have 1200$ to spend on a gaming computer you can build a bad ass one for that much. They are both shit for gaming. Never buy a BRANDED comeputer, ever. They put 400$ hardware in them and overcharge 500$+ just because people don't know better.

ATLEAST get one here http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/
    Quote Originally Posted by Mwarren View Post
    It's a no brainer. Get MW3, Skyrim is just a rehash of Oblivion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Neezh View Post
    Because I'm brave enough to smoke. I see no point in quitting

Quote Originally Posted by Buxton McGraff View Post
    He's not just planning on using it for gaming, but he would like for it to run WoW on high settings.
    Will the 2nd one accomplish this goal?
    What is he planning on using it for? Are either of you interested in building yourself or do you know someone that can?

Both of those are complete rip-offs for gaming. You say he's planning on using it for other stuff though, so they may not be a bad deal, but wouldn't play either listed game at "decently high" settings. More like lowest possible.

I like all the people giving the OP grief without giving him an idea of actual performance.

The Gateway has a 6530D graphics card which is rated at 543 by Passmark. I've used an Intel HD 4000 (rated 513) and was able to achieve 'acceptable' frame rates with near lowest settings at 1680x1050 Windowed. This was tested with 5.0.4 in Cata zones prior to the release of MoP.

The HP has a 7450A graphics card which is rated 370. I've used a 9600M GT (rated 283) and was able to play WoW at 1680x1050 on lowest settings but the frame rates weren't that great, about 60% of the performance of the Intel HD 4000. Going to 1920x1080 full screen helped a little. This was tested in MoP zones on the 5.1 PTR.

If these are acceptable to your friend and he's willing to pay the premium for a prebuilt the all-in-one/touchscreen computer, then go for it. He's not going to get WoW on high at 1920x1080 with those computers though.

Reference: http://videocardbenchmark.net/gpu_list.php
    Last edited by yurano; 2012-11-13 at 05:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by yurano View Post
    I like all the people giving the OP grief without giving him an idea of actual performance.

The Gateway has a 6530D graphics card which is rated at 543 by Passmark. I've used an Intel HD 4000 (rated 513) and was able to achieve 'acceptable' frame rates with near lowest settings at 1680x1050 Windowed. This was tested with 5.0.4 in Cata zones prior to the release of MoP.

The HP has a 7450A graphics card which is rated 370. I've used a 9600M GT (rated 283) and was able to play WoW at 1680x1050 on lowest settings but the frame rates weren't that great, about 60% of the performance of the Intel HD 4000. Going to 1920x1080 full screen helped a little. This was tested in MoP zones on the 5.1 PTR.

If these are acceptable to your friend and he's willing to pay the premium for a prebuilt the all-in-one/touchscreen computer, then go for it. He's not going to get WoW on high at 1920x1080 with those computers though.

Reference: http://videocardbenchmark.net/gpu_list.php
    "computer to run WoW on relatively high settings"

That is why they are "giving the OP grief" about those garbage computers. He SAID that the guy wants relatively-high settings, and you're on people saying "not gonna happen" by saying that they can run somewhat well on the nearly-lowest settings.

10+ Year Old Account
    wow that is 1 big piece of crap for 1200$...

Quote Originally Posted by Lilfrier View Post
    "computer to run WoW on relatively high settings"

That is why they are "giving the OP grief" about those garbage computers. He SAID that the guy wants relatively-high settings, and you're on people saying "not gonna happen" by saying that they can run somewhat well on the nearly-lowest settings.
    That doesn't give you the right to give him crap about it.

Just tell him what he can expect to get out of those computers and let him make the decision himself.

Some people like touch screens, its that simple. Maybe he has a great reason to buy a touchscreen all-in-one yet everyone's just shooting him down and blindly forcing him to build a custom PC.

We told him what to expect. Practically nothing. They're a big fat waste of money for even low demand titles like World of Warcraft, and even the best of the bunch probably won't give his friend a notable increase in performance (and if any, certainly not a 600-1200 CAD increase) from his current computer, whatever it may be. Stating facts and giving recommendations is not "giving crap".

I can't speak for everyone, but I would rather urge him to recommend a computer built for gaming to his friend that he won't be sorry for than to just tell him what the best of the worst is and have him go on his merry way. It's not fun to see someone wasting their money on something they'll probably be dissatisfied with in the short-term when they could get so much more and be a lot happier to boot.
    Last edited by Berserker Cronus; 2012-11-14 at 09:32 AM.

Deleted
    That doesn't give you the right to give him crap about it.

Just tell him what he can expect to get out of those computers and let him make the decision himself.

Some people like touch screens, its that simple. Maybe he has a great reason to buy a touchscreen all-in-one yet everyone's just shooting him down and blindly forcing him to build a custom PC.
    the guy wants high settings for wow, these two combined won't even get past 1/4 of the way to reach that.
    Also a good reason to buy an AIO system while still wanting to game? (make my day, please do)

Quote Originally Posted by shroudster View Post
    the guy wants high settings for wow, these two combined won't even get past 1/4 of the way to reach that.
    Also a good reason to buy an AIO system while still wanting to game? (make my day, please do)
    Wait, so AIOs are like laptops. Are we saying everyone who wants to game on a laptop should just go home?

Check it out, gaming AIOs with similar specs to a gaming laptop:
    i7-3610QM + 640M $1200
    i5-3450 + 640M $1230

Gaming on prebuilts is possible, its just expensive. Some people are willing to pay a premium for things like portability or touch screens.

Stop blindly recommending custom computers like mindless drones.
    Last edited by yurano; 2012-11-14 at 10:59 AM.

Stop twisting the thread just to be against the grain. This is about what OP asked for, and they asked whether or not the two PCs can run WoW on high settings, and to recommended alternatives if they can't. Though the two models linked are AIOs, we didn't get a mention that either touchscreens or mobility were preferred. No one claimed that gaming on an laptops or AIOs (which aren't even designed for gaming, a 640M is equivalent to some of the mid-level 200 series desktop models) was impossible, but as far as wanting to run games on a stationary system it's a much more cost effective to get a prebuilt tower or build your own, with a touchscreen monitor if for some reason it's simply a must.

So we must force everyone to buy the most cost effective computer and ridicule the OP for not doing so.

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    The answer is neither can run WoW on high settings the second one has a AMD 7450a which if you Google it to see how it performs and you will see it's not very good. I seriously doubt this card would be able to handle WoW on high settings Ultra is not even close to thinkable. My personal advice would be forget about an all in 1 unless all the guy is planing on doing is browse the net and do like Microsoft Office and such.

---------- Post added 2012-11-14 at 11:26 AM ----------

So we must force everyone to buy the most cost effective computer and ridicule the OP for not doing so.
    No, but when he asks if what he is looking at will handle a specific thing we can explain that what he is looking at is not designed for that.