Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    While I am all for the removal of obscene adverts that are plain rude, if everyone blocks ads, companies will literally just start blocking people who block ads. I hope for one day, or even one week, major websites would do this. It's that or all sites hit the eventual pay-wall. Block ads, got no account? Sorry got no content either.

It's like people think all internet related activity is free, or that the money they give to ISPs somehow makes it to website owners and that entitles them to see everything on the web. Here's a hint: it isn't and it doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by wartywarlock View Post
    While I am all for the removal of obscene adverts that are plain rude, if everyone blocks ads, companies will literally just start blocking people who block ads. I hope for one day, or even one week, major websites would do this. It's that or all sites hit the eventual pay-wall. Block ads, got no account? Sorry got no content either.

It's like people think all internet related activity is free, or that the money they give to ISPs somehow makes it to website owners and that entitles them to see everything on the web. Here's a hint: it isn't and it doesn't.
    Maybe they should think about how to advertise unobtrusively then. Banner ads that play audio while you are watching a video are the tipping point for me. As are malware injected ads that get slipped in the rotation (MMO-C got one of those just last week).

Deleted
    jesus fucking christ, some posts here disgust me

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tornainbow View Post
    LOL.

Please tell me where these magical income amounts are coming from.

I know people that have largely successful channels with regular updates and aren't making ANYWHERE near the number you quoted.

I used to run a gaming site that received hundreds of thousands of visitors and I always loved people claiming to know how many tens of thousands of dollars I made from ads. In reality, I struggled to cover server costs some months.
    "My channel didn't do well, so there's no way no one else is making any money." Try harder.

Google releases the figures that they pay partners on ads. They don't tell you what each channel makes individually, but it's public knowledge of how much they make for advertisement per x number of views. Ironically, you may want to use Google and take 5 minutes researching something before talking.

deleting old posts /10char
    Last edited by psoodkel235; 2022-04-02 at 09:30 PM.

Deleted
    *shrug*
    Whenver this topic comes up, I always hear all these miracular stories of unskippable 10 minute ads and loud banners that force you to mute them mid-video, yet so far I haven't seen any of them with my own eyes. Ads I get tend to range between 15 and 30 seconds, or have a skip button that allows you to avoid all but a few seconds in the start, and so far no banner has ever made a sound. Unless I'm missing something here that only the people with a vocal dislike for advertisements fall victim to, it sounds like you're exhaggerating the truth to make a point.

I use an adblocker which I've disabled for things like YouTube and MMO-Champion. Because frankly, I prefer letting them take 30 measly seconds of my spare time over being charged (assuming it's a working business model) any day.

Deleted
    Is it country specific or something maybe? I live in Finland and altough I don't have adblock, I've literally NEVER EVER NEVER seen a video ad on youtube.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluegirl91 View Post
    Also, does adblocker really remove the value of the ads? Because I think it still loads and counts as a "view".
    Some Youtubers have come clear on how this works. If you load the ad, they get money. If it's a 2 minute ad, they get more money should you watch through it and whatever the regular short-ad fare is if you skip it partway through. If you bypass the ad completely with Adblocker, they get nada.

Quote Originally Posted by Carbine View Post
    Is it country specific or something maybe? I live in Finland and altough I don't have adblock, I've literally NEVER EVER NEVER seen a video ad on youtube.
    Well, maybe and maybe not. I don't know anything about your viewing habits so I can't say anything for sure, but ads only show up on partner videos in the first place (i.e. videos uploaded by people who earn money from views). If, by any chance, you rarely use Youtube and/or only on non-partnered channels, that would also explain why you haven't got any video ads.

Quote Originally Posted by Raybourne View Post
    I wonder when the government will change the laws on us and rule ad block as illegal because of a few greedy friends
    I wonder when "the government" (as if there's only 1 with allmighty power or something) changes laws so ads don't become so abnormally intrusive, annoying to the point of offending my intelligence.

The moment ads become bearable, stop flashing shit at me, stop having annoying sounds, stop tracking my internet behaviour without my explicit permission just for their own $$$$ profit, stop putting adware (and sometimes malware!) on my pc, stop spamming my mailbox, and stop literally scrolling with me on whatever random site, THEN I will consider disabling adblock.

It's a situation advertisers have created themselves, really - nobody would be using adblocks if ads weren't needlessly annoying.

Edit: And yes, I'd rather pay per month for a site than see those fucking ads.
    Last edited by Cirque; 2012-11-13 at 11:23 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Youtube has to make it's money or it just will not exsist ...so i have very little problem with the ads ...Ok on the one hand ....I fucking hate when I click on a 2 min video and have to watch a 30 sec ad or even worse clicking on a movie trailer ad and having to watch a damn ad for an ad....man that pisses me off...on the other I can click on a 2 hour documentary and have a skipable ad ( after 5 secs ) and watch 2 hrs of content . The bottom line is that they have a lot of work to do in the ad department .

I've never had a problem with YouTube's advertisements... How else would they make money?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by notwen View Post
    No, if youre using Adblocker, it doesnt count as a view, because Adblocker blocks the connection the the ads domain, and then they dont even load
    1 of the reasons why i use addblocker--sites load faster.
    As for youtube---its quality is going down so no i wont support their adds (you cant preload videos any more--and they even bug in the middle and start over again).

Also sites who block ppl who use addblocker usualy die pretty fast. (and the thing is *where i read* that 80% of company never check the adds--where we usualy get the viruses-- curse 2 weeks ago cough cough)

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/3-tacti...ck-users-site/ *also this is a good read* (if mmc uses the 3rd one they will die out )
    Don't sweat the details!!!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Shuttle View Post
    You do realize that the adverts directly support the content producer? Although extremely annoying, it does support the producers !
    At this moment, I'm sorry, I don't give a shit anymore. I would pay for youtube to be a premium service for them to pay the people being watched or something if they took out all ads. There's too many and I just can't stand them anymore. I go to youtubeto watch videos without commercials, not commercials with videos in between.

I don't think ads themselves are a problem per se, it's when some terrible trends from years previous keep liking to crop up now and then, i.e. ads that are just fucking annoying and obtrusive. Ads that lay themselves across what you're trying to read, and follow along with you as you scroll until you close them,(anyone who's tried to read news on their phones is probably familiar with this and the pain in the ass some of them are to close) or ads that play sounds and voice, or you otherwise have to interact with to get rid of. I don't know who thought they were a good idea, but having an ad smashed into my face and being over the top annoying does not pique my interest and make me want to ever consider buying the advertiser's product. Ever. They really just need to fuck off with that kind of thing.
    They can dynamite Devil Reef, but that will bring no relief, Y'ha-nthlei is deeper than they know.

Adblock is a very bad way to deal with it, your favorite youtubers can give you free entertainment because of ads. I think there's a thing that gives you a button you can click if the ad is really bad though.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ads are a way of charging people indirectly for quality content, rather than directly.

If everyone used adblock, YouTube would just start charging people $10 a month to use the website.

Delete your adblock, support the people you subscribe to, and just watch the 15 second ad. You're not going to die, I promise.
    It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkhallows View Post
    As someone that makes money off of the adds...Please don't get Ad-Block. Please?
    Quote Originally Posted by Shuttle
    You do realize that the adverts directly support the content producer? Although extremely annoying, it does support the producers !
    I'll turn adblocker off once the adverts stop being completely obnoxious. It is that simple.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aciaedius View Post
    *shrug*
    I use an adblocker which I've disabled for things like YouTube and MMO-Champion. Because frankly, I prefer letting them take 30 measly seconds of my spare time over being charged (assuming it's a working business model) any day.
    As people have mentioned prior to your post, another reason to use an ad-blocker is an added level of security from malware ads, which MMO-C had a few weeks ago. The result was 24 hours of warnings when viewing the site. Sure it's rare to get such an ad on sites like these but it happens, and that's all the reason for anyone to use a blocker (IMO of course)

Ah, how I miss the golden age of the internet.
    I am the lucid dream
    Uulwi ifis halahs gag erh'ongg w'ssh

Which ads?

Then again I have AdBlock..
    "First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win."