View Poll Results: Your thoughts on HFR (48 FPS)

Voters
11. You may not vote on this poll
  • Love it

3 27.27%
  • Hate it

0 0%
  • Undecided

3 27.27%
  • Haven't seen it yet

5 45.45%

[Movies] HFR - love it or hate it? (aka, 48 FPS)

I have been reading a lot of Hobbit reviews lately.

While the film itself in generally critically acclaimed the HFR, aka. the 48 frames per second is a very controversial topic.

There seems to be a strong divide between supporter and haters.

I personally am not sure what to make of it. I can see arguments on both sides. After seeing the Hobbit in 3D-HFR I do think:

a) HFR makes everything look a bit more "cheap" and like a TV documentary.

b) but it really enhances scenes with special effects and CGI.

c) I got used to it very quickly. I only really noticed it for the first 10-15 minutes of the film.

Maybe a middle ground...roughly 32 FPS would have been a less controversial sweet-spot.

After all the heat the Hobbit is getting I don't think the HFR will catch on. But it was an interesting experiment none the less.

Some scenes looked bad, but I'm not sure the HFR was entirely to blame. Some scenes, the lighting just looked off - and I'm not sure if that's from 3D or HDR or just bad lighting.

Most of the scenes looked brilliant and for those scenes I was in the movie 100%, but I think the use of HDR made it more likely to pull me out of the movie (especially in the slower scenes, when my eye tends to wander around the frame).

I think HDR will eventually catch on - but I think a modern day action or sci-fi action movie might have been a better vehicle to really sell us on this technology, rather than something such as the Hobbit.
    “The louder he talked of his honor, the faster we counted our spoons.” - Emerson

Some scenes were brilliant, others looked like I was watching them film the movie.

Dying to go watch the film but I've been too busy. Hopefully this weekend