Deleted

Should I buy Storm Legion?

I played Rift around launch, reached 50, did some heroics and raid rifts when they first came. I quit, because what I saw did not impress me at all - only one boss with moving lasers had me intrigued.

I later picked it up again with two friends, when Instant Adventures came. We got bored and quit due to how boring low level was.

My question is, does Storm Legion improve these points? Are boss mechanics any better than before? To me, most of them were far too simple, only causing wipes due to high damage.

See for yourself

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...s&noredirect=1

and top 10 raids of Rift

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZV6ds...feature=relmfu

Courtesy of Seatin.

I'm not sure why you would say raid rifts (designed to be puggable) or experts weren't intriguing from a boss mechanic perspective, but to each his own. To me its like trying the LFR in WoW, saying "pathetic mechanics" and using that as a basis of comparison of PvE in other games.

The PvE in Rift, is arguably the best in the industry and copied outright by others, including WoW.

Today is your last chance to pre-order btw, so if you want the bonus shinies, do some research and decide
    {I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it. }

Deleted
    I didn't do many raid rifts (death cleared and life attempted) and this was before the first real raids came.

I'm asking if I should cancel my WoW sub for Rift. I could go and read up, but I've got a really slow connection (on my phone), so I'd like to have the best bits spoon-fed to me, if I can.

Quote Originally Posted by Noxiye View Post
    I didn't do many raid rifts (death cleared and life attempted) and this was before the first real raids came.

I'm asking if I should cancel my WoW sub for Rift. I could go and read up, but I've got a really slow connection (on my phone), so I'd like to have the best bits spoon-fed to me, if I can.
    fair game, here's some help:

- Storm Legion is tripling the size of the world, adding two continents, each of which is the size of the original Rift world
    - Hunt Rifts have been introduced which are like Raid Rifts but based on personal progression
    - Player Housing & Guild Housing have been implemented and are based on tools used by the developers to model the game world - this has gotten rave reviews (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_RA1z666Mo)
    - 7 new dungeons, if I'm not mistaken about the number, are being introduced
    - New Zone wide Fights with massive boss sizes are introduced, these too have gotten rave reviews (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6VxxXkZ-lQ)
    - Four new Souls; Warrior get lightning based Range DPS casting (Thor), Mages get Melee DPS and can shape their weapons to scythe, axe or sword, each with different buffs, Rogues get a flame throwing AOE DPS and AOE healing spec with totems, and Clerics get a support soul that use links to prevent and redirect damage.
    - Questing has been overhauled, traditional quests are mainly storyline driven, and you also get carnage quests (kill many mobs as you go along) and pick up quests as you explore - pretty much like Ember Isle.
    - We expect that conquest (200 v 200 v 200) bg will be expanded into the new world zones
    - New PvP BG and other QoL features implemented
    - Several raids are planned for release, mechanics of which look downright awesome (linked above)

erm yeah. couple this with a steady 4-8 week content patch cycle and I would say that its easily worth it.
    {I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it. }

10+ Year Old Account
    I am quite fond of Trion and the work they have put in to make Rift what it is. I bought the one year expansion pack as I have no doubt that we are in for more regular releases of patches, and that the game will be greatly boosted by this expansion.

Rift v1.0 is a shadow of the game that Rift v1.11 is. It is my preferred mmo at the moment.

I personally feel now that the interface has been tweaked and so many "quality of life" issues have been improved since launch that the next year is going to include an obscene amount of content in each patch. The developers already stated that they "ran out of space" to add things in the last game.
    Last edited by theWocky; 2012-11-13 at 09:08 AM.

Deleted
    Thanks for the sweet info, I feel more intrigued now. Couple of questions before I decide, though. Will low level questing be more interesting or does it affect 50+ only?

Another thing is movement. Movement in Rift always bothered me a little. It feels a little unresponsive and slow, and you and your mount interacted weirdly with objects (mount bounces into the air slightly and then rebounds with no progress having been made). Does this still happen?

10+ Year Old Account
    Thanks for the sweet info, I feel more intrigued now. Couple of questions before I decide, though. Will low level questing be more interesting or does it affect 50+ only?

Another thing is movement. Movement in Rift always bothered me a little. It feels a little unresponsive and slow, and you and your mount interacted weirdly with objects (mount bounces into the air slightly and then rebounds with no progress having been made). Does this still happen?
    I can't comment on movement. It's never been an issue for me, not in Guild Wars 2, or any other game where people have brought this up. It is responsive.

If getting to 60 is your goal, there are many, many different ways to do so - Instant adventure, Quests, Dungeons, PvP.

The game has a "mentor" system, so people who are 50 or 60 can be downscaled. Also, both factions queue for the same dungeons now and can even be in the same guild. With more people, easier to accomplish things.

Personally, I intend on taking the road from 50 ~ 60 slowly and just enjoy myself, not try to burn myself out with lack of sleep.

Deleted
    Hmm. What about addons? Are they still sparse? As I remember, there were a few and none of them were comparable to the best WoW addons. Is that still true?

Hmm. What about addons? Are they still sparse? As I remember, there were a few and none of them were comparable to the best WoW addons. Is that still true?
    That depends what you understand under "the best WoW Addons".
    In Rift, I'm perfectly fine with KBM, BananAH, nkRebuff/Karuul Alert, RareDar and RiftMeter. And maybe Click Box Healer / LifeBinder when healing with my cleric.

If you search for something specific take a look here:
    http://www.riftui.com/community.php
    http://www.curse.com/addons/rift

Deleted
    Well, basically, my UI in WoW looks like this.

So if there are addons that can do all that my addons can in WoW, I'm switching over today.

So if there are addons that can do all that my addons can in WoW, I'm switching over today.
    Well, the UI from Rift is fully adjustable, so there is at least no need for addons like Bartender etc.

For PowerAuras you have KaruulAlert for example.
    For Damage Meters like Recount you have RiftMeter, SimpleMeter...

Dunno what you use exactly, my WoW interface was/is really simple. I don't like my screen too stuffed.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Wryn View Post
    Well, the UI from Rift is fully adjustable, so there is at least no need for addons like Bartender etc.

For PowerAuras you have KaruulAlert for example.
    For Damage Meters like Recount you have RiftMeter, SimpleMeter...

Dunno what you use exactly, my WoW interface was/is really simple. I don't like my screen too stuffed.
    I made my UI to make it cleaner than the WoW UI is. I want less shit to obstruct my view, and then made WeakAuras to allow me to look up from my action bar and still keep check on buffs and CDs.

10+ Year Old Account
    There are close to 200 mods available for Rift and more to come to support things like player housing (dimensions). I'd say that for the most part similar mods exist if you want them. The default UI on it's own can be customized to your liking.

I say yes, if you like a WoW-like game that runs (IMHO) smoother and has better content than WoW. I made the choice to drop WoW and pick up Rift as my primary MMO, mostly because it's familiar enough to be comfortable but the quality is a lot better (again IMHO) and feels more polished.

Deleted
    TL;DR YES! /10char

this week i decided not to resub to wow after 6years, and start with Rift. Like Arothand said, it's easy enough to get into if u come from wow, but offers a challenge still and requires learning in a fun way, not in a way that makes u not be able to kill anything... i do suggest to find yourself a guild fast tho, i got ALOT of info from other members. Overall i would say the community is a hell of alot nicer in Rift, i have yet to encounter the first a-hole ^^

I didnt really like Rift either when i tried it at release, but somehow i'm rEALLY enjoying it this time around. I bought 6months gametime to start with, cuz i'm sure i'll at least play it that long, and prolly alot longer!

so yea, i think you should give it a go

10+ Year Old Account
    You must realize that "out-the-box" Rift's layout editor is far superior to some of the best WoW addons.

Other than that, I can't comment, but the raiders appear to do well with what they have.

---------- Post added 2012-11-13 at 04:44 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by flavie View Post
    Overall i would say the community is a hell of alot nicer in Rift, i have yet to encounter the first a-hole ^^
    Oh, they're there - mmo's are a breeding ground for e-peen extenders.

Quote Originally Posted by theWocky View Post
    Oh, they're there - mmo's are a breeding ground for e-peen extenders.
    Yeah, honestly the 50 chat on Faeblight, while not completely stupid, has it's moments of times where I just have to leave it because of the trolling/idiotic conversations.

yea, ofc there are dumbasses in Rift, just havent met any yet sofar, and in wow all i had to do was log in and i'd meet plenty without even trying

Deleted
    I think I will buy this expansion, I hadnt played since launch, and I logged in for the free weekend, And i was impressed, the client seemed to run smoother, the server was populated (icewatch eu) - and they added this thing called instant adventure, which i had heard of but i thought it would be lame, but Imagine logging in at 4am and getting a 20man quest raid - it is awesome, you can lower your level to play with friends, honestly I think Rift might take over as the big mmo in then ext few years because they have some seriously good ideas