Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Wow IS dead. Of course that will trigger the addict's response of "omgz we got teh 10 millionz". But it doesn't mean the game still isn't dead.

10 million people running around the ruins of a once much more enjoyable game. Wow has become a Facebook game without the need to run a web browser. So in many players eyes, it died a while back. If I was a betting man, I'd put the subscription total to about 8.2 on the Q4 call.

Look at the ridicule people get today for just being associated with the game. The days of MMO players being the "cutting edge gamer" are over, hell, I think many are embarrassed to claim they even play (excluding places like this, where people are much more consumed by the game).

How will WoW go out? We'll probably see a pattern like we've seen before. Another big drop...let's just guess...a 1.5 million a decline. Then that number will hold steady, possibly some more quarterly gains before yet another massive drop. We'll see this cycle continue and in a few years from now it'll be around 5 million. Still won't be dead...and many will use the "5 million is still better than other MMOs" argument. The game will be running in 10 years, much like how EQ and Ultima still are running. Vanilla private servers will likely exist far, far into the future.

But really, who cares....

If subscription numbers are really THAT important to you that it troubles you to hear people quit Wow, then you need to unplug the internet and go get some professional help. The days of droves of new people flocking to the game are long gone, the days of growth are over.

Now just comes death.
    Last edited by MikeyD; 2012-11-14 at 11:17 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeyD View Post
    Wow IS dead. Of course that will trigger the addict's response of "omgz we got teh 10 millionz". But it doesn't mean the game still isn't dead.
    We must using different dictionaries then.

10 million people running around the ruins of a once much more enjoyable game. Wow has become a Facebook game without the need to run a web browser. So in many players eyes, it died a while back. If I was a betting man, I'd put the subscription total to about 8.2 on the Q4 call.
    Can you please pick a stock on US or EU market and give me its price at the end of Q4? I want to make some money

If subscription numbers are really THAT important to you that it troubles you to hear people quit Wow, then you need to unplug the internet and go get some professional help. The days of droves of new people flocking to the game are long gone, the days of growth are over.
    The days of all MMO market growing are over. So, guess what, you can't grow noticeably on a declining market. Still, WoW manages to pull off what other MMOs can't even think of.

Also: I'm not interested about people leaving the game if they just leave the game. However, I do despise people that leave the game but feel unsure about it or just look at mending their own insecurity, so they come to whine on forums to explain how - obviously - THEY made the right choice, and how the one who stay are - still obviously - Blizz fanboys. On the other hand, people who play the game don't go on GW2 or whatever other game forums to whine about how they did not leave WoW. That's a big difference - quitters always want to whine and argue about it because they want to rationalize their decision. If you want to quit the game, do so. If you don't, don't. But don't brag or whine on the Internet about it to rationalize your decision.

Now just comes death.
    But of course, and the world will come to the end on 21/12/2012, anyway.
    MMO player
    WoW: 2006-2020 || EvE: 2013-2020 || FFXIV: 2020- || Lost Ark: 2022-

Quote Originally Posted by Hodenkrieg View Post
    I will start by saying WoW is not going to die anytime soon.

Now, I have been a player for 7 years, but to me the game is dwindling heavily. I don't play it like I used to. I get bored quicker, to be honest I have grown tired and to me, it is dull.

that being said, personal opinions aside...

To say WoW's gameplay, graphics, etc are better than other games is just ignorant. There is only 1 thing that WoW excels, and it is in reality the only thing that matters in an MMO - the player community.

Warcraft has, 11 million players currently? It could fare to lose what, 9 or 10 million of those and still be competitive compared to other MMOs. People play WoW because everyone else plays it. Your friends, your co-workers, classmates, neighbors, garbage man, pool cleaning guy, hell your grandpa and his shuffleboard team probably play it too.
    Lets look back at the last time a great, well established MMO died. Everquest, which itself was killed by the up and coming WoW.

What has to be made to cause people to leave WoW, and for WoW to die, is a choice of quality that surpasses that of the established community. For EQ, this was achieved by EQ2.

EQ2 and WoW both released in November of 2004. EQ was one of the largest MMO's at the time, but stopping development of EQ, and creating EQ2 gave people a chance to try something new. It was a reason for everyone to drop what they were doing and search for the next best thing. had EQ never released EQ2, I am willing to bet it would have gone somewhat differently. They tried to move their entire userbase to a new game, and in doing so their userbase found a home somewhere else.

Lets face it, in its early months, Warcraft was an absolutely horrifying game. the amount of gamebreaking bugs, glitches, imbalance, poor itemization, entire talent trees rendered completely useless, WoW in the first year was a practical abomination to the MMO industry. But they hit the nail on the head with a picture perfect release date, landed it in a time where because of the shift EQ made, there was no greener pasture to go to.

slowly perfecting their gameplay, WoW has locked themselves in as the absolute go-to titan of MMOs. The only way this can be killed is that quality decision stated earlier, and the decision is going to have to be MASSIVE to beat 11 million players. it would have to be massive to beat half of that.

TL;DR - The only way WoW can die is halting production on WoW for a sequel (lets say, WoW2), which will never happen. Ever. Blizzard knows how huge of a mistake this would be, considering they themselves dismantled Everquest as a direct result of this. You have many many MANY years to go before WoW can die. I wouldn't hold your breath. anyone who can blatantly claim the death of wow is seriously butthurt about something, but I guarantee that something isn't even remotely detrimental to the longevity of their IP.

I think the above is one of the WORST posts ever on a WOW forum.

So many things are so out of line, I just think: cool man, now go outside and re read this piece ,within a month or something.

Vanilla Warcraft a "horryfying game" ? WOW, so how did it grow then ? "Because it was released in a time window of EQ ..." ??? Sigh.

---

That's the nature of the internet I guess, anyone can spit out an opinion and can get away with it.

BTW here is a thought on your first thought and I quote "... say WoW's gameplay, graphics, etc are better than other games is just ignorant..."

Biiiip. Wrong remark already.

I NEVER saw anything as smooth , as responsive and as seamless as in WOW back in 2004.

The rest of the MMO's is still crawling behind unadapted CLUNKY engines and terrible designed worlds with disgusting loading screens all over the place. We know it, ... we tried them all ...

--- Voila, I won't go into detail about the other misconceptions...
    Last edited by BenBos; 2012-11-15 at 01:01 AM.

10+ Year Old Account

Look at the ridicule people get today for just being associated with the game. The days of MMO players being the "cutting edge gamer" are over, hell, I think many are embarrassed to claim they even play (excluding places like this, where people are much more consumed by the game).

How will WoW go out? We'll probably see a pattern like we've seen before. Another big drop...let's just guess...a 1.5 million a decline. Then that number will hold steady, possibly some more quarterly gains before yet another massive drop. We'll see this cycle continue and in a few years from now it'll be around 5 million. Still won't be dead...and many will use the "5 million is still better than other MMOs" argument.
    Until the WoW movie comes out and subs jump to about 30 million...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by anyaka21 View Post
    First point, OP is clueless to the reality of numbers. 10 mil is 10 mil, not 11 mil. If indeed it was over 11 mil, then WoW officially would have said it. 2nd, if they are still at 10 mil subs and China gained 1 mil, that means the NA/EU might be losing subs, which is bad. Especially since China is only about 6% of WoWs revenue.
    This is EXACTLY what i was showing in my previous post... the fanboys totally ignore whats actually reported by Blizzard themselves in their financial reports. They stick to forum gossip and take it as fact.

The truth is that back in Wrath Wow peaked at 12mill subs and EU and US made up the vast majority of that 12million. The Asian market was tiny and only just starting so can at best only account for 1 or 2 million subs.

Now i read somewhere in a Blizzard interview during Cata that EU is now down to 1.5mill subs and US is just over 3mill with Asian market taking up the rest... now all u clever Einstiens go do the math. Thats right the Asian market takes up the vast majority of the total subs figure these days... Basically the subscriptions in EU and USA can best be described as plummeting whereas the Asian market is expanding.

Also for the record the last Blizzard announcement on subs numbers was 10.1mill so who the hell invented this 11mill bullcrap?

Quote Originally Posted by RicardoZ View Post
    Until the WoW movie comes out and subs jump to about 30 million...
    I think it's very unlikely that movie will ever be made.

---------- Post added 2012-11-18 at 02:29 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Endemonadia View Post
    The truth is that back in Wrath Wow peaked at 12mill subs and EU and US made up the vast majority of that 12million. The Asian market was tiny and only just starting so can at best only account for 1 or 2 million subs.
    That's completely wrong.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by hunteromg View Post
    think most of you are skipping quite huge problem. you CANT raid if you allready didnt raid. no1 will take you. i have seen pugs or even guilds spaming for hours for specific role and wouldnt take me cus i didnt have achi even tho i am very well geared.

community is huge problem in this game. even tried to apply to some guilds that didnt clear MSV and they just dont want to take you if you dont have raid xp. its magical circle cus they will prolly break up if they dont get tank but they dont want tank without raid xp...

same stands for pvp guilds. if you dont have certain arena rating you are not welcomed. since i cant achive neither, pvp or pve "status", and no1 would take me in without em i dont see other then say that commnuity is killing this game

and thats why is dying for me
    Your server must be the most ignorant server in the world.
    I've seen plenty of guilds on different servers taking new players in, and progress quite well.

Or you could do LFR, should give you some starting experience.

---------- Post added 2012-11-19 at 03:28 AM ----------

I haven't done daylies for some time now, and I'm having plenty of fun PvPing, lvling a new toon or just messing around in the game.
    Daylies are not mandatory, unless you NEED the enchants from Shado-Pan or Celestial thingies.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by JadleHF View Post
    Your server must be the most ignorant server in the world.
    It's pretty common on the most populated servers. For the PvP servers that wouldn't even take you if you didn't have a 2200 rating. PvE, achieve and ilevel or don't bother PMing. Even in WotLK it was like that, people wanting GS 5800+ for normal ICC (and yes with achieves).

And LFR isn't going to achieve, either.
    From the #1 Cata review on Amazon.com: "Blizzard's greatest misstep was blaming players instead of admitting their mistakes.
    They've convinced half of the population that the other half are unskilled whiners, causing a permanent rift in the community."