Page 1 of 13
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

RIP WoW? Really?

Alright, so I just read a thread over on the WoW official forums. Some guy was yet again complaining about how blizzard has forced him at gunpoint to do dailies, and how majority of players feel the same way and will soon quit. I'm just completely dumbfounded by the lack of common sense here.

Blizzard just reported their numbers (not exact numbers), saying that in Q3, they are now over 10 million subs again, picking up 1 million subs in China I believe. That means that WoW is sitting on approximately 11 million subs, maybe more. WoW's peak was in Wrath, where it had 12 million subs. There are a number of MMO's out there right now who are sitting at around 1 million subs, or even less, and are doing very well for themselves. Sadly, City of Heroes is closing it's servers in November, but considering it's one of the older MMO's out there, it's done pretty damn well for itself.

WoW is not dying. The only possible way WoW could die is if right now, at this point in time, well over 3/4 of the playerbase unsubbed. Even if they went down to 5 million, it still would not be dead. World of Warcraft is not the be all and end all of MMO's, however they have absolutely paved the way for the good majority of MMO's today in some way. Even now they're constantly adding new features to this damn game.

Dailies, in all honesty, really aren't that bad. Now I know that is entirely subjective, but what else are you really going to do with that time? They hotfixed VP items to be available after reaching honored with a faction within days of release. If you have played through the zones, it's almost impossible not to be honored with almost all of the VP bearing factions, with the exception of the august celestials. I managed to get my item level up to 475 with only 2 pieces of valor gear. The rest of my gear was either crafted or won in dungeons or LFR, the same way it's always been (well, since 4.3 in regards to LFR). There is only one "forced" rep grind, and that is the Golden Lotus, which is arguably the most tedious. However, after 2 1/2 weeks of rep grinding, you hit revered, and you can stop. That's it. I'm a mount collector, and I enjoy the little quests at each level of reputation that you get, so for me, grinding to exalted for 6 different factions to get some beautiful mounts and a fun little epic-ish quest at each level of rep isn't really all that big of a deal, but I can absolutely see how it can be to some.

This is not some way for blizzard to stretch out content, this is giving people exactly what they asked for. People bitched and moaned about how easy it was to gear in Cataclysm. So instead of running heroics 8 times and getting a full set of epic gear, they made you work a bit for it. People bitched and moaned about how empty Cataclysm was. It was empty, but not because of the lack of attention to detail in the new zones, but because we could fly without being max level, or close to it, so noone bothered to check out the scenery or pay attention to quests. People seem to have forgotten very quickly that it wasn't until TBC that you could even fly, and in both TBC and Wrath, you had to be max level to do it anyways, which meant you leveled with a good ol ground mount. So what makes it any different now other than people got spoiled being able to fly before max level? People bitched and moaned about people needing on gear in LFR for OS, for Guildies, to vendor it, to use it to trade for other items, or just to be a dick. Now people are complaining that they get no loot at all. You get gear for the role you queued for, which if you look at the dungeon journal, narrows it down to about 1-4 pieces you could possibly get per boss. Theres nothing wrong with that at all. You want to gear an OS? Go back to doing heroic dungeons to gear up enough to be viable in LFR as your OS. Theres no reason people should be needing in a raid for specs that they rarely play or didn't put in the effort to play. Again, thats what dungeons are for.

So all in all, I just can't seem to wrap my head around the complaining. Because these same people are complaining about everything they wanted previously. I guess because it didn't go exactly as they planned, then it's no good at all.

It's beginning to seem many of these people would prefer it this way:

Deleted
    I'm not sure about WoW dying, but I fully agree with his situation. Dailies are boring. LFR is terrible. Heroics are too easy and boring. Challenge modes don't give you gear. PvP is a broken mess. If you can't raid in MoP, what FUN method of progressing your character is left? I didn't want to do dailies or LFR, so I stopped playing, because there was nothing else I could do at 90 to progress my character.

If WoW were over 11million, they would say it. Why wouldn't they? They haven't, so they're not over 11million.
    Why am I back here, I don't even play these games anymore

The problem with the internet is parallel to its greatest achievement: it has given the little man an outlet where he can be heard. Most of the time however, the little man is a little man because he is not worth hearing.

Quote Originally Posted by vizzle View Post
    If WoW were over 11million, they would say it. Why wouldn't they? They haven't, so they're not over 11million.
    /facepalm.....

Infracted for spamming. Please post constructively - ML
    Last edited by MoanaLisa; 2012-11-14 at 09:15 PM.

Deleted
    As long as there are fanboys like the OP, WoW will continue to chug along with 200k subs or so, maybe. That's not dead, so I suppose he's right.

Quote Originally Posted by bajskorv View Post
    As long as there are fanboys like the OP, WoW will continue to chug along with 200k subs or so, maybe. That's not dead, so I suppose he's right.
    9 Million subs at the end of what was considered the worst wow expansion, at which point do we stop calling them fanboys and something new and inventive instead?

@Op, wow has touched so many gamers in good and bad ways and all you are seeing from some moaners are a minority of a group of gamers who struggle to let go of what was once a great game for them and has now turned into something they dislike, even tho it turned into something many of us prefer. They simply want their old wow back and struggle to come to terms with it.

One day each and every one of these moaners will eventually move on in life and probably stop visiting sites like this altogether, unfortunatly tho as 1 moves on another drops into replace them thus the neverending cycle.

If anything I always take from negativity of what a great game wow was, has been and still is, people dont moan about something they dont care about
    Last edited by Kesandri; 2012-11-13 at 10:03 AM.
    Keeping everyone happy is impossible.

Quote Originally Posted by bajskorv View Post
    Yeah. During Wrath wow was banned in China and only had about 6 million subs so i don't see how his numbers can be taken seriously. Cataclysm promised people it would be the new Vanilla and thanks to it and the reversal of the ban in China the numbers reached the 12 million.

Quote Originally Posted by Kesandri View Post
    9 Million subs at the end of what was considered the worst wow expansion, at which point do we stop calling them fanboys and something new and inventive instead?
    Cataclysm's first tier wasn't bad at all. The Molten front dailies and LFR caused the hate for the expansion.

Quote Originally Posted by Aerodyne View Post
    I'm not sure about WoW dying, but I fully agree with his situation. Dailies are boring. LFR is terrible. Heroics are too easy and boring. Challenge modes don't give you gear. PvP is a broken mess. If you can't raid in MoP, what FUN method of progressing your character is left? I didn't want to do dailies or LFR, so I stopped playing, because there was nothing else I could do at 90 to progress my character.
    "I don't want to do X, Y and Z"
    "blizzard I have nothing to do!!11"

Depends how you look at "dying". Does subs indicate if game is dying? yea they do. but wow is dying in a terms of activites of players. ppl are not playing wow even if they are paying for it. my irl list went from 20active ppl to like 2 active and 3 semi active now. and i know other 15 ppl are keeping sub active but they just dont log on and i guess they will stop paying it eventually but for these numbers they are still counted in.

ppl are just bored of the game. wich is ofc after playing it for 5+ years so nothing to wonder there. and they are not given any new things to do. yea some1 would think this is blasphemous but most of ppl who played now have all factions top up, got all mounts, did all dugeons and if they are not rading or doing top pvp they are done.

And we have greater problem there and that is community. Even if new players want to raid its freaking hard as hell. You want to get pug? no way jose cus you dont have achi, you want to apply to a guild same thing. if you want to pvp same thing.

So for me wow is dying. sadly i am tied with ap but it runs out very soon so i can burry this behemoth and go on

I wouldn't mind the daily grind if the lore surrounding it didn't feel so irrelevant to me. I figure that's the reason I can't be bothered with them while I could bother with dailies in Wrath and Cataclysm. I play WoW because I'm interested and invested in Warcraft's lore. Pandaria's domestic problems don't feel like Warcraft, but another game entirely. It's all too detached from the rest of the game.

Yeah yeah, I know Blizz wanted to create some completely new stuff etc. Just so happens the end result didn't work out for me. Patch 5.1 ought to fix that.

Quote Originally Posted by Enosh View Post
    "I could do X, Y and Z, but none of them is fun for me."
    "blizzard I have nothing to do!!11"
    Fixed that for you.
    Last edited by Zuben; 2012-11-13 at 10:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cybran View Post
    Yeah. During Wrath wow was banned in China and only had about 6 million subs so i don't see how his numbers can be taken seriously. Cataclysm promised people it would be the new Vanilla and thanks to it and the reversal of the ban in China the numbers reached the 12 million.
    And if you are going to not take blizzard sub numbers seriously (which btw I am not having a go at you about, just making a point) then you have to not take every mmo's sub numbers seriously, they all do the same tricks to make the game look better, I just accept they all do it and take the sub numbers each of them publish in relation to each other

Quote Originally Posted by Cybran View Post
    Cataclysm's first tier wasn't bad at all. The Molten front dailies and LFR caused the hate for the expansion.
    On this point I dont disagree, I personally enjoyed cata albeit the final tier lasting too long. It's amazing how many people forget about t11 and only focus on the back end, however my point still stands at what was considered an awful expansion (at least the 2nd half!) it still held a LARGE number of players (noticed I didnt use sub numbers, but fact was a lot of people still played).
    Keeping everyone happy is impossible.

Quote Originally Posted by mjolnir1122 View Post
    If you have played through the zones, it's almost impossible not to be honored with almost all of the VP bearing factions, with the exception of the august celestials.
    Impossible. Klaxxi will be honored if you do Dread Wastes. Shado-Pan will be nearly Honored if you do all the quests in Townlong and Kun Lai (unless you are human). August Celestials and Golden Lotus don't start until 90.

Some fool declares Wow dead every other day. Nothing new to it.
    I don't hate you. I'm just not necessarily excited about your existence.

So you don't want challenge then, do you? If you have the gear, why bother playing at all? Raiding is challenging, perhaps that is why you choose to avoid raiding.

Deleted
    If you cant raid in wow and dont want to do dailies or lfr then what would be the point of progressing your char at all?
    Last edited by mmoc9428b41e97; 2012-11-13 at 10:12 AM. Reason: typo

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Guys! When warhammer comes, wow will die gais!

edit: In all seriousness though, I sometimes wonder what people want. They do not want to do dalies, they don't like to spam "boring" 5mans all day, and raiding is not for them, and pvp is fustrating. I ask you, Why do you even play the game? Why? You don't like anything, nor come up with any suggestion of what might suit you, or any reason why you even need to progress your characters at all...
    Last edited by Iso; 2012-11-13 at 10:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Iso View Post
    Guys! When warhammer comes, wow will die gais!
    the crazy British guy says warhammer is THE shit!

think most of you are skipping quite huge problem. you CANT raid if you allready didnt raid. no1 will take you. i have seen pugs or even guilds spaming for hours for specific role and wouldnt take me cus i didnt have achi even tho i am very well geared.

community is huge problem in this game. even tried to apply to some guilds that didnt clear MSV and they just dont want to take you if you dont have raid xp. its magical circle cus they will prolly break up if they dont get tank but they dont want tank without raid xp...

same stands for pvp guilds. if you dont have certain arena rating you are not welcomed. since i cant achive neither, pvp or pve "status", and no1 would take me in without em i dont see other then say that commnuity is killing this game

and thats why is dying for me

Deleted
    To be honest you just made a thread to state the obvious. Everyone that has a brain knows that wow is far from it's death and even if we (including me) are complaining about the dailies, we are almost done with them so I don't mind dailies anymore.

Deleted
    I red the post mjolnir1122 was referring to, that guy was bitching on Blizzard for forcing him to do dailies = stealing time from him and his family.
    Forcing him to do dailies on all his 9 lvl90's and stealing time from him and his family. What the hell..

Nobody is forcing you to do dailies, but you. Take a look at Blood Legion - did those guys farm dailies to gear up ? No. Take a look at me. I am in mediocre raiding guild, 6/6MV and 1/6HOF - do I need stuff from dailies ? No I dont I have like 2?. Take a look at casuals or pvpers - why hey hell should they feel forced to do dailies..

In real life, money means a lot, do you feel you couldn't use more for you and your family ? Do you feel forced to get urself 2 or more jobs ? Do you have them ?