Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

Height discrimination ever relevant?

I guess you can say I was born "privileged". Always been considered a tall person for my age, and now at the end of adulthood, 6'1 is great stature.
    I have always gotten unnecessary praise for my height, specially from shorter people, they often tell me how much they wish to not be tiny.
    I always got the same old jokes "how the weather up there!", but nothing that could be considered hurtful.

Anyways, height is one of the most notorious of the physical traits one can have, have you ever been seriously discriminated/praised because your height? Do you ever wish you were taller/lower?

6'2" and had those types of comments and more while growing up. Only sort of negative effects I experienced was pressure from the football coach while in school to join the team. It worked, and I enjoyed playing, so not really so terrible.
    I don't argue to be right, I argue to be proven wrong. Because I'm aware that the collective intelligence of the community likely has more to offer to me by enlightening me, than I do to an individual by "winning" an argument with them.
    Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    I don't always wear tennis shoes, but when I do, I speak Russian. In French.

I'm 6'5", and I never really got negative reactions from people about my height ever. There are plenty of disadvantages to being that tall, but reactions from people isn't one of them.
    Go and tell my baby sister
    Not to do what I have done
    Go and spurn that house down in New Orleans
    They call the Rising Sun

6'6'' and wish I was shorter. I can't say I've ever experienced any direct discrimination or verbal abuse for it, but suffice to say society is mostly built for shorter people. I've suffered a fair amount for lack of ample space in lecture halls, aeroplanes, theatres etc., and maybe it's a greener grass kinda deal, but I find the cons outweigh the pros. The only real pros I can think of is a longer reach (which is mostly irrelevant past 6'0'' or so) and being able to breathe and see properly in very crouded spaces such as concerts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille View Post
    Trolling will result in the loss of your forum posting privileges, and the removal of your genitals with my teeth while I hum Oasis songs.

6'5". The weather up here is much nicer than your Napoleon types... lol

I'm of average height, which I am happy with, my partner sometimes finds it hard to find nice T-shirts / tops that are not just a little short on the midriff for him as he is about 6'5

5', people always think im about 7 years younger than i am.

on the other hand, people find me inconspicuous & nonthreatening, which ive been able to use to my advantage.

Scarab Lord Huntingbear_grimbatol's Avatar
    you americans and your measuring systems...
    178cm, like 2-3cm shorter than average for Norway. Doesn't really open or close any doors for me.
    9thorder.com | 14/14 Heroic 25-man | West 114 | Recruiting for Warlords of Draenor!

Follow our raids on Twitch!Bear - Retribution PoV

5,6 wish i was higher. keeps getting made fun off. nothing hurtful though

Active Wow Player | Active D3 Player | Active Eve Player | Active Wot Player | Eve Gametime | Youtube / Twitter

6,3" I lived in Holland when I went through a growth spurt though, and the dutch are freakishly tall so I always felt average, then I moved back to Scotland and suddenly I'm a giant. Not too much discrimination but pretty much more of the 'My, you're a tall one!' stuff. Although I did have a weird experience when at a gig recently, a guy that was like 6,7" came in and it threw me for a loop lol. Felt weird not being the tallest person in a room.

The plus side is, my friends can always find me if we're at concerts or clubs or whatever.

6"1 is not really considered that tall I would have thought, drummer in my band is 6'5 and I don't really see him as being all that tall, sure he is taller than average but nothing that anyone would even look or think twice about. I'm 5"11, so about average or just "not short".
    I7 2600k @4.5ghz : 16GB DDR3 : GTX670 : Firestudio : Naga : G27

Quote Originally Posted by Valanna View Post
    6'6'' and wish I was shorter. I can't say I've ever experienced any direct discrimination or verbal abuse for it, but suffice to say society is mostly built for shorter people. I've suffered a fair amount for lack of ample space in lecture halls, aeroplanes, theatres etc., and maybe it's a greener grass kinda deal, but I find the cons outweigh the pros. The only real pros I can think of is a longer reach (which is mostly irrelevant past 6'0'' or so) and being able to breathe and see properly in very crouded spaces such as concerts.
    The world is made for medium sized people. Countertops in kitchens and retail establishments can cause severe back pain if you have to stand at them long, for example. Trying to hear people in a loud room can be difficult both because you're farther away, and you don't have the built in muffling of noise you get from being more amongst the crowd. Just two examples most people never even really think about.
    Go and tell my baby sister
    Not to do what I have done
    Go and spurn that house down in New Orleans
    They call the Rising Sun

6'3" here, and other than growing up in a old two story house with low ceilings and dangerous ceiling fans I've never been discriminated against. Those fans hurt like a bitch.

In a bar. Somewhere that carries Khalua, cream and Vodka
    I can think of one advantage of being not terribly tall... I could easily walk through most doorways in Japan without having to duck too much. I did however have the problem of having to turn sideways most times because my shoulders are too broad, but that is something totally different.

Yes, I had some friends in Japan that were 6'2~ and they would always complain about the doors being too small.

Edit: I should mention I am 5'11.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyanotical View Post
    anyone want doughnuts? i hear there is a great shop in Vancouver

Height discrimination would probably be more of a problem for people serious outside the norm, such as 4ft or 7ft. Though I really don't know how bad it is because I'm a 5'7" woman, so certainly not in the very tall or very short category.

nope and im 5'11. i think a lot depends on your posture/attitude and the way you behave yourself. also matching kilos for your weight is very important, for example being 6'5 and 50 kg looks bad imo.

Scarab Lord
    I'm 5'11", so I'm of average height. I've never taken flak over it. I do wish I was a few inches taller though, somewhere around 6'2".

I'm rather short, though I don't really recall any overt reaction to my height one way or the other. Then again there was all those times when I managed to get into the cinema with children's tickets while in college... >_>

I'm 5'6(I think) as a male, which is relatively short, but I'm also still young, so I've never gotten any positive or negative comments about my height.
    Quote Originally Posted by Krayzy View Post
    I blame Decagon.

Herald of the Titans DEATHETERNAL's Avatar
    6'6" and I'm the greatest and you can get over it.

Seriously though, we have God knows how many African children starving to death every day. I really don't care about something this meaninglessly trivial when we have problems that are ten times, one hundred times, ten thousand times, or a million times as bad that could be addressed instead.
    And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
    Revelation 6:8