Page 1 of 3
1
2
3
LastLast
  1. #1

    Are you buying the Nexus 4 phone, and if so, which model? 8GB or 16GB?

    I'm going with 8gb. I've had my really old Samsung Galaxy Apollo for years now, which comes with only 4gb storage, and I've got 500mb left and I've had it for 2 years, which is how long I'm expecting to keep the Nexus anyway.

    I only use my phone for the camera, video recording and internet browsing. And of course, texts and calls.

  2. #2
    I'd get the 16GB if i was going to upgrade but with your needs, i'd probably go ahead and get a windows phone, and infact, i do have a windows phone, and it does all of those things great ( Save for voice recording, which you need an app for. ). I just dont like that it has nothing else going for it other then being a bejewled machine and a really good phone.
    "Marketing is what you do when your product is no good."

  3. #3
    The Lightbringer CheezusCrust's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Nuuk, Greenland
    Posts
    3,334
    if it comes at a good price (£200-300) then I'll grab it to replace my godawful Motorola Razr Maxx, was very satisfied with Nexus 7.
    i5-4670k 4.2GHz | EVGA GTX 980 | 16GB Kingston HyperX | 256GB 840 EVO | Corsair H100i | Noctua IndustialPPC
    ASUS PB298Q 4K | 2x QNIX QH2710 | CM Storm Rapid w/ Reds | Steelseries Rival | Schiit Stack w/ Sennheiser HD8

  4. #4
    Oh, nice. I've been waiting for nearly an year, thought Google won't release it any sooner, and bought a new smartphone. Then, I wake up seeing Google announcing their new smartphone.

    ;_;

  5. #5
    Interesting. I might want to buy that, currently I'm using a year old Galaxy Nexus from Samsung, I guess this new phone is a lot better than the old one?

    I wonder which ISP is providing this phone here in Finland, haven't seen any advertisements yet..

  6. #6
    Well I've read on a dutch site that their are problems with the price of the phone.

    The only place where you can find it for 300 dollars is when you buy the Nexus 4 directly from google. A Spanish store refuses to sell the phone because they have to charge around 600 euro's or something for the exact same model.

    Before you make a decision you have to find out if you can actually buy the phone for 300 dollars because if you have to pay 600 then it isn't really worth it in my opinion, it is after all a LG phone. If you want Android really badly then the Galaxy S3 and Note 2 are both better or if you just want a phone with the best feature's then the Lumia 920 seems the best one out their.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by ati87 View Post
    Well I've read on a dutch site that their are problems with the price of the phone.

    The only place where you can find it for 300 dollars is when you buy the Nexus 4 directly from google. A Spanish store refuses to sell the phone because they have to charge around 600 euro's or something for the exact same model.
    Yeah, it could very well be this won't be even available from ISP's here in Finland, I see a lot of news that the phone will be cheap if bought from Google and no mention at all if it be available on ISP's like rest of the the smartphones.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by dragothica View Post
    Yeah, it could very well be this won't be even available from ISP's here in Finland, I see a lot of news that the phone will be cheap if bought from Google and no mention at all if it be available on ISP's like rest of the the smartphones.
    That's where google is shooting themselves in the foot.

    Why did they make the phone without 4g capability with the excuse of wanting to have a standard model that works everywhere and not actually offering the attractive pricepoint everywhere, but rather just in the US and a few countries in the EU. I mean, 300$ for the n4 is an amazing deal but why are they not offering it everywhere in the world? I'd happily replace my decaying HD2 with it.

    Same thing with the N7.
    "Marketing is what you do when your product is no good."

  9. #9
    Nope, getting a Nokia Lumia 920. It'll probably be red or black, as AT&T doesn't have grey.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Keller View Post
    I'd get the 16GB if i was going to upgrade but with your needs, i'd probably go ahead and get a windows phone, and infact, i do have a windows phone, and it does all of those things great ( Save for voice recording, which you need an app for. ). I just dont like that it has nothing else going for it other then being a bejewled machine and a really good phone.
    Yea, apparently the Nokia cameras are outstandingly good. I also hear the new IE 10 is much faster than the old one.

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Lilfrier View Post
    Nope, getting a Nokia Lumia 920. It'll probably be red or black, as AT&T doesn't have grey.
    Same here. I've already preordered my white Nokia Lumia 920. According to Best Buy it won't be arriving until 11/19/2012 - 11/28/2012, which makes me sad, but I wanted to order from Best Buy because I had a gift card.

    As for the Nexus 4, it looks great but I just can't seem to get used to Android. I tried with the One X and the Galaxy S III, and I just didn't like the feel of Android.

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by noteworthynerd View Post
    Same here. I've already preordered my white Nokia Lumia 920. According to Best Buy it won't be arriving until 11/19/2012 - 11/28/2012, which makes me sad, but I wanted to order from Best Buy because I had a gift card.

    As for the Nexus 4, it looks great but I just can't seem to get used to Android. I tried with the One X and the Galaxy S III, and I just didn't like the feel of Android.
    Ah, but this Nexus is just pure android. Samsung and HTC install a shitton of bloatware that actually masks the pure 'brilliance' of android.

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Stealthwings View Post
    Ah, but this Nexus is just pure android. Samsung and HTC install a shitton of bloatware that actually masks the pure 'brilliance' of android.
    Personally when I try Android just feels kind of chaotic and using the phones feels a bit overwhelming, something I never feel with when I tested IOS or WP. And kind of doubt that the Nexus phones avoid that feeling part.

    Plus the Nexus 4 is made by LG, not a company I really trust.

  14. #14
    I don't get how Android can be overwhelming, especially compared to iOS. They're almost identical, save for maybe a search bar or weather widget. Neither is creative or interesting to see in the slightest, but both are VERY simple to try. Stock Android is almost exactly like iOS, really. You get a grid of icons, plain and simple.

    ---------- Post added 2012-11-08 at 07:57 AM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by noteworthynerd View Post
    Same here. I've already preordered my white Nokia Lumia 920. According to Best Buy it won't be arriving until 11/19/2012 - 11/28/2012, which makes me sad, but I wanted to order from Best Buy because I had a gift card.

    As for the Nexus 4, it looks great but I just can't seem to get used to Android. I tried with the One X and the Galaxy S III, and I just didn't like the feel of Android.
    You should cancel the pre-order, in my opinion. I was going to preorder it from AT&T, but I think that the stocks will be fine. I would go in on Friday, then buy one there and cancel your preorder if you can grab one that day. I have no issues getting used to Android, but it is bland and doesn't impress me at all.

  15. #15
    The Nexus 4 has stupid pricing, even the 8GB costs more then the 16GB Nexus 7 tablet. Maybe it's due to the fact that it has cellular technology in it, but for once I want a phone that can browse the Internet and all that stuff that is affordable (as in less then 300 dollars) with a reasonable amount of storage. Besides, I am an iSheep when it comes to phones, though I am still using a regular iPhone 4 and it works just fine.

  16. #16
    Fluffy Kitten Marest's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    4,229
    I was going to pick it up, but there are two things that keep me away. The first one is that there's only 3G support. Given, most 4G/LTE phones doesn't work in Sweden but still - I want my next phone to be able to utilize the faster network. The second reason is the storage; it's too limited. Having a 16GB Nexus 7 it hurts every time the low storage icon shows up. After dragging around an iPhone 4 for the last few years I'm also not looking for something that has a glass back...

  17. #17
    Personally i'm waiting for a massive price drop in the price of the GNex
    "Marketing is what you do when your product is no good."

  18. #18
    Mechagnome
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Roanoke, VA
    Posts
    605
    Does anybody know of Verizon's plans? I thought they announced they would not carry new phones without 4G.

  19. #19
    Mechagnome Mazamaras's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Valley of Honor.
    Posts
    556
    Considering Google are offering it unlocked for £279 (16GB) then yes I will be buying it, first I must trade in my Samsung Galaxy Nexus.

    Do yourself a favor and get it from google unlocked, don't get it from a carrier...

    PS - The benchmarks blow the S3 out of the water.

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by Mazamaras View Post
    Considering Google are offering it unlocked for £279 (16GB) then yes I will be buying it, first I must trade in my Samsung Galaxy Nexus.

    Do yourself a favor and get it from google unlocked, don't get it from a carrier...

    PS - The benchmarks blow the S3 out of the water.
    It's not sold by carriers. Were any of its predecessors sold by carriers?

    ---------- Post added 2012-11-08 at 02:17 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    The Nexus 4 has stupid pricing, even the 8GB costs more then the 16GB Nexus 7 tablet. Maybe it's due to the fact that it has cellular technology in it, but for once I want a phone that can browse the Internet and all that stuff that is affordable (as in less then 300 dollars) with a reasonable amount of storage. Besides, I am an iSheep when it comes to phones, though I am still using a regular iPhone 4 and it works just fine.
    I REALLY hope you're joking. The Nexus 4 is $300 off-contract. That iPhone 4 you have, which is 2 years old, is STILL $50 off-contract on Apple's site.

    Yeah, the brand-new Nexus 4 is cheaper than the 2-year-old phone you have now off-contract. So, again, I REALLY hope you're joking.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •