Poll: Correlations

Deleted

A poll on gold buying and accounts being hacked.

This question has been buzzing around in my head for the past couple of days, so I'd like to ask everyone this in a poll:
    Have you bought gold and then been hacked?
    Have you bought gold and not been hacked?
    Have you not bought gold and been hacked?
    Have you not bought gold and not been hacked?

not bought and not been hacked. You can simply keep your account safe by not going to such websites and running a daily or even a weekly scan from an antivirus on your computer.
    EVERYDAY I'M SHUFFLIN. ┏(-_-)┛┗(-_- )┓┗(-_-)┛┏(-_-)┓

Deleted
    The reason I'm asking this by the way is that -

I've been noticing a couple of my friends who have bought gold have been getting hacked lately and I thought maybe there was a correlation?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Helai View Post

I've been noticing a couple of my friends who have bought gold have been getting hacked lately and I thought maybe there was a correlation?
    Of course there is. Those sites are like pinatas filled with keyloggers.

Those websites are infected up the wazoo
    EVERYDAY I'M SHUFFLIN. ┏(-_-)┛┗(-_- )┓┗(-_-)┛┏(-_-)┓

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Arkenaw View Post
    Of course there is. Those sites are like pinata's filled with keyloggers.
    Thought as much, it's an interesting question nevertheless.

I bought 1k at the start of WotLK, but I was hacked much later (summer). Then again, I was 18 and an idiot.
    http://samaramon.co/
    My transmog & misc. blog!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Samaramon View Post
    I bought 1k at the start of WotLK, but I was hacked much later (summer). Then again, I was 18 and an idiot.
    See, I was thinking they maybe keep a log of whoever purchases it and then sells it as a database to people, could even be hackers, other goldsites etc.

See, I was thinking they maybe keep a log of whoever purchases it and then sells it as a database to people, could even be hackers, other goldsites etc.
    Could be, but I did not make the purchase however, my bf did. He gave the gold to me from his acc, he was never hacked, I was months later.
    Then again my password could have been 1234 or something, and this was BEFORE authenticators.

10+ Year Old Account
    basically anyone who buys gold deserves all the shitty things that happen to them afterward. i have no remorse for people who feel the need to cheat like idiots.

This question has been buzzing around in my head for the past couple of days, so I'd like to ask everyone this in a poll:
    Have you bought gold and then been hacked?
    Have you bought gold and not been hacked?
    Have you not bought gold and been hacked?
    Have you not bought gold and not been hacked?
    Just wanna chime in and say LITERALLY the ONLY way you can buy gold and get hacked is using the same username and password on their site as your battle.net password. Only do that if you have an authenticator. :P

Almost any and all hacks would seriously so easily be avoided by having a seperate username/password ONLY for battle.net. You don't even ever have to check that email address, but at least have it.

Deleted
    Bought from my friend, gotten hacked several times.... No it's probably not my friend -.-

Could be, but I did not make the purchase however, my bf did. He gave the gold to me from his acc, he was never hacked, I was months later.
    Then again my password could have been 1234 or something, and this was BEFORE authenticators.
    I highlighted the reason you were hacked.

Just because it doesn't say "it was because my password was 1234" doesn't mean I'm wrong. It means you actually use passwords like that, and most definitely did for WoW. Why would someone seriously make their password 1234, or god, or password, or letmein, or something so simple? What's wrong with "iambeast197382!". Bruteforcing won't even work for that. :P

I've bought gold a few times (maybe a dozen in 7 years) and never been hacked. This was even b4 authenticators.

A much safer way to go about this is to exchange services though. Sell people faction changes, server xfers, games on steam, time cards via gift shop.
    Last edited by NoRest4Wicked; 2012-11-13 at 02:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by alturic View Post
    I highlighted the reason you were hacked.

Just because it doesn't say "it was because my password was 1234" doesn't mean I'm wrong. It means you actually use passwords like that, and most definitely did for WoW. Why would someone seriously make their password 1234, or god, or password, or letmein, or something so simple? What's wrong with "iambeast197382!". Bruteforcing won't even work for that. :P
    I know, I was overreacting :P as in, I was young at the time when I first made my account and it never occurred to me that I'm an easy target.

I know, I was overreacting :P as in, I was young at the time when I first made my account and it never occurred to me that I'm an easy target.
    I give you all the internet credit. You actually admitted it wasn't Blizzards fault and solely yours.

Gold star to you.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arkenaw View Post
    Of course there is. Those sites are like pinatas filled with keyloggers.
    Hehe, I actually got a visual image when I read this that made me giggle.

OT: Never bought gold and never been hacked.

I was having a discussion with my husband recently about MMOs, their security and hacking. I pointed out to him that I've never been hacked in six years in any game I've played and he's been hacked a handful of times (he's never bought gold either). He swears to me it has more to do with people using the same email account and password for multiple things.

10+ Year Old Account

Sure... its called they were careless and used the same email address and password for Warcraft, AND the gold buying site..

--- Want any of my Constitutional rights?, ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal. -- Note to mods: if you are going to infract me have the decency to post the reason, and expect to hold everyone else to the same standard.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Seran View Post
    Sure... its called they were careless and used the same email address and password for Warcraft, AND the gold buying site..
    I don't think one of them used the same pw/email address though.
    Can they not log your IP?

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't think one of them used the same pw/email address though.
    Can they not log your IP?
    Sure they can log the IP, BUT, just having an IP wont get you into someone's battle.net account, or logged into Wow.

most people have a habit of using the same email address for EVERYTHING... as well as the same password...

Here... try it... make a throwaway email account somewhere like MSN or yahoo... and ONLY use that and pick out one of the gold seller websites.... visit... sign up using THAT email address.. and then watch... you will start getting a lorrey full of email about your game account being under investigation or bla bla bla... but you'll know its not real because of the fake email address you created...

--- Want any of my Constitutional rights?, ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal. -- Note to mods: if you are going to infract me have the decency to post the reason, and expect to hold everyone else to the same standard.