Demo advice, and a gear question.

Simcraft says on a patchwerk style fight I should be pulling an average of 74k in my current gear/spec (If I spec KJC I will gain about 2k more DPS, but I need to run some dungeons and get used to it as I am used to jumping to interrupt a cast - and last night I got stuck casting a 4 second soul fire because I didn't have a stop cast key bound and jumping did nothing to interrupt the cast). This is very possible for me in dungeons. Hell in dungeons I hit 80-90k. Sustaining this amount of damage over a period of a 10 minute fight however has me vexed. These were my first attempts at Spirit Kings Normal, so I am guessing that had a lot to do with it (that and the fact I died on Zian), however if anyone else can notice anywhere I can improve, the advice would be greatly appreciated. Link to my lock is in my sig.

Basic rotation I use can be found here:
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/7004017106#7

And these are the logs from last night/this morning and Friday.
    http://worldoflogs.com/reports/sxu7l...um/damageDone/
    http://worldoflogs.com/reports/dpdar...um/damageDone/

I have been doing some research, and while my following feelings of affliction remain true, I am not performing as well as I should be in Demo, so I may have to respec. I swore to my guild leader that I would never go affliction again and if I was forced he could look for another player to replace me. The spec (in my opinion) sucks to play (it just doesn't have the OOMPH! Demonology does, you cast your dots, then channel a bunch of times til the boss is dead - wheres the fun in that??), and I still stand firm in my belief that people with 5-6% hit are nuts, but hey maybe missing makes the spec more fun since you have to pay attention more? I even changed the guild MOTD and my player comment to *&%@ Affliction when I changed back to demo. However if I cannot improve my DPS with demo I am going to have to spec affliction and make it fun. This leads me to question 2: How do you handle trying to gear out 2 separate PVE specs with different stat weights? It has taken me almost 2 weeks to get the pieces I have correct for Demo, I really don't want to have to run a sim and reforge every time I change specs. Should I just farm LFR and Heroics and get a lesser ilvl affliction set or is there an easier way to do it?

10+ Year Old Account
    You don't need KJC as Demo as Touch of Chaos can be used while moving and Fel Flame is barely any DPS loss if you're pooling Fury. You can also keep movement to a minimum with Leap and portal.

The first thing I noticed is that your DoT uptimes looking at Feng (the most Patchwerkish fight) and Spirit King (the heaviest movement fight) look really low: 75% for Doom and barely 50% for Corruption, that is a major DPS loss through both damage and Fury. Really, I know simcraft says 'always refresh through ToC', but it's only about a 500DPS loss to manually refresh all the time - that kind of difference is easily converted to a DPS gain with just a few manual refreshes when Fury is pooled intelligently rather than used up (240 at a time) just to maintain DoT uptime.

The other thing I'd look at is your Life Tapping. It's very easy to go OOM and stand around confused if you don't manage it correctly; be very aware of Soul Fire's high mana cost and never chain more than 3 together without breaking to Life Tap unless you're very close to the end of the encounter and have enough mana to see your spamming through. Also during the execute, it's very easy to let Corruption drop if you're not careful (see my Feng parse >.< ).

These are my last parses http://worldoflogs.com/reports/82i98vzuiwm3y7es/

As for gear, I think Haste is a good enough stat for Affliction not to worry about reforging/regearing for it as an off-spec. It depends how often you intend to respec.
    Last edited by Jessicka; 2012-11-13 at 04:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jessicka View Post
    You don't need KJC as Demo as Touch of Chaos can be used while moving and Fel Flame is barely any DPS loss if you're pooling Fury. You can also keep movement to a minimum with Leap and portal.

The first thing I noticed is that your DoT uptimes looking at Feng (the most Patchwerkish fight) and Spirit King (the heaviest movement fight) look really low: 75% for Doom and barely 50% for Corruption, that is a major DPS loss through both damage and Fury. Really, I know simcraft says 'always refresh through ToC', but it's only about a 500DPS loss to manually refresh all the time - that kind of difference is easily converted to a DPS gain when Fury is pooled intelligently rather than used up (240 at a time) just to maintain DoT uptime.

The other thing I'd look at is your Life Tapping. It's very easy to go OOM and stand around confused if you don't manage it correctly; be very aware of Soul Fire's high mana cost and never chain more than 3 together without breaking to Life Tap unless you're very close to the end of the encounter and have enough mana to see your spamming through. Also during the execute, it's very easy to let Corruption drop if you're not careful (see my Feng parse >.< ).

These are my last parses http://worldoflogs.com/reports/82i98vzuiwm3y7es/
    Well, ignoring simcraft saying it will be a dps increase which I am fond of doing, KJC is really the only viable talent for the majority of the fights I have seen. Most fights don't have adds, and the ones that do (Will of the Emperor, Elegon) the adds don't last long enough for MF to do any good, and AV is completely worthless (stormlash does more damage most of the time). KJC offers the highest benefit for the majority of fights, which is why I decided to go with it.

And I didn't even think to look at my dot uptimes, those are rather low. Thanks for pointing that out.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't see how KJC is a DPS increase. Fel Flame has the same DPET as Shadow Bolt which means the cast time reduction makes it less efficient than just switching fillers; and Touch of Chaos and DoTs being instant gain no benefit or pitfall from it either. And MC charges can simply be delayed until you're stationary again. AV on the other hand is just free damage, you don't need to press any buttons to benefit.

Quote Originally Posted by Jessicka View Post
    I don't see how KJC is a DPS increase. Fel Flame has the same DPET as Shadow Bolt which means the cast time reduction makes it less efficient than just switching fillers; and Touch of Chaos and DoTs being instant gain no benefit or pitfall from it either. And MC charges can simply be delayed until you're stationary again. AV on the other hand is just free damage, you don't need to press any buttons to benefit.
    I mean I totally agree that KJC isn't an actual DPS increase, but for demo it is the best of 3 crap choices. There are some fights where its damage is noticeable like on Feng if he actually gets a cast off and you aren't standing in the nullification barrier and some situations where the damage does come in handy and actually probably outshines any other talent (spirit kings Qiang (sadly its only 1/4th of the fight where you need to eat a cleave)) because of the mechanics of the encounter. But by and far AV is a waste on the majority of the fights where the damage is avoidable AND the unavoidable damage does not come directly from the boss (i.e. voodoo dolls, which is counted as friendly fire between the 3 targets, and not boss damage).

10+ Year Old Account
    How is it the best of the 3? I mean, some free damage or something that's providing no benefit and in fact from your OP is actually causing you problems and is therefore evidently detrimental.

Deleted
    KJC is really useless playing demo since, as stated before, you can always Meta and ToC when you have to move and if your fury is lacking, fel flame is not that bad.
    MF is the most useful of the 3 imo but, of course, only where it CAN be useful (i.e. spreaded adds) and AV, even if it only gives around 300-400k damage on an encounter, is still better than KJC.