Page 1 of 2
LastLast

SL Zones seems very very empty...Confirm/Deny?

Hey guys, so I am very torn on if i should play SL. I have played the beta events for it, and each time i go on, it just seems to not keep my interest and i log off within 10 minutes, mainly because the zones are EXTREMELY empty and the mobs feel so out of place. I haven't seen any threads on this topic and it surprises me.

There are a lack of quest hubs, NPCs and just mobs in general in these zones. While walking around the zones, there seems to be wide open and un-used space everywhere, with maybe 1-3 out of place mobs walking around the middle. Because of this, it just ceases to hold my interest. I feel like I am the only one who notices this. Does anyone else feel like this?

Also, from someone who lvled to 55 at least, how are the later zones, because i only got through halfway the 2 starting zones, so i cant jump to conclusions yet.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    ..... Sorry but I completely disagree. Empty zones and out of place mobs? Either you're being sarcastic or you have very different visions for what games should be like than most of us.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

The zones look amazing, dont get me wrong. What I am saying is the content within the zones. For example, carnage quests. They take so damn long to complete because theres about 3 of the mobs up at a time in that area and the spawn is pretty darn slow.

There's 3 main kinds of quests in SL: Hub Quests (storyline), Pick-Up Quests (____ lying on the ground) and then Carnage Quests, which are obviously "kill 20 of X"

1. Grab Hub Quests
    2. While out questing, grab a handful of carnage quests and any pick-up quests you find along the way.
    3. As you're completing both hub & pick-up quests, you should be able to complete (or nearly complete) most carnage quests.

If your carnage quests aren't completed, you've likely got the kinds of C-quests that have mobs spread throughout most of the zone, in which case you can continue your quest chains and it'll fall into place.

Also remember, there's no mob-tagging in SL. You don't have to solo everything, just participate. There's no fighting over mobs anymore, and it removes a lot of the mob population concerns.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Marksman12 View Post
    The zones look amazing, dont get me wrong. What I am saying is the content within the zones. For example, carnage quests. They take so damn long to complete because theres about 3 of the mobs up at a time in that area and the spawn is pretty darn slow.
    I noticed that in some of the higher level zones too. The starting zones there were always tons of mobs, I hope they turn up mob density in the higher end zones. I did travel to (forget the name) lvl 58-60 zone and it had mobs everywhere maybe to many but from 54 to 57 yeah some areas were scarce of mobs. I asked someone to ask this question to dev's *cough Seatin cough* I've not got the answer back but hopefully since it was beta they can just turn a dial an increase mob density in zones.

Quest hubs weren't much of an issue once you found the porticuliums travel was easy. Carnage quests eliminate the need for quest hubs. I'm a pretty quick leveler I'll report back here if in fact mob density has increased. Don't forget mob tagging is shared too so if there others killing near by just tag the mobs you will get credit don't be shy or wait for respawns.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'll be honest and say Seratos is about as far as I went in Storm Legion beta, I didn't feel like spoiling as much as I was originally intending to. ;p
    "A flower.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    I'll be honest and say Seratos is about as far as I went in Storm Legion beta, I didn't feel like spoiling as much as I was originally intending to. ;p
    I leveled to 56 1/2 then drank the Kool-Aid on the F&F beta and did the lvl 60 cheap out and got the raid gear to test out other stuff. There were a few zones that needed increased mob density but I know they can tweak that with basically a flick of switch.

I did notice some of the zones were sparse in npcs. Maybe Rift was always like that I just got used to the extremely lively and crowded zones of other games.

Reason why I suspect it was the latter is I hopped over to Stillmoor for a zone event the other day. Started noticing it how big tracts of land in that zone are kinda empty.

I am thinking Rift was always like that...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Azuri View Post
    I leveled to 56 1/2 then drank the Kool-Aid on the F&F beta and did the lvl 60 cheap out and got the raid gear to test out other stuff. There were a few zones that needed increased mob density but I know they can tweak that with basically a flick of switch.
    You lucky bastard you, I called it!

well, sorta.
    "A flower.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    I did notice some of the zones were sparse in npcs. Maybe Rift was always like that I just got used to the extremely lively and crowded zones of other games.

Reason why I suspect it was the latter is I hopped over to Stillmoor for a zone event the other day. Started noticing it how big tracts of land in that zone are kinda empty.

I am thinking Rift was always like that...
    Not really. I agree there is some places in Stillmoor where you can play a game of golf and not bump into a mob. I don't recall this being the case at launch in fact I recall the opposite and people complaining that mob density was to high and agro ranges were to small and you ended up pulling half the zone and getting dismounted easily etc etc. I think they made adjustments shortly after launch behind the scenes to compensate for these complaints.

I'm not a developer but I think they turned down mob densities since launch in some zones and they can easily turn them up too. As we get deeper into leveling I'll post my findings but I did raise this question with regards to this for a couple of zones. I found some plant type things I had to harvest for quests way to sparse in a couple of zones that will need cranking up since those can not be shared. (Might be able to if partied, not certain)

---------- Post added 2012-11-12 at 09:06 PM ----------

You lucky bastard you, I called it!

well, sorta.
    Beta is still up talk about the 11th hour...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Azuri View Post
    Not really. I agree there is some places in Stillmoor where you can play a game of golf and not bump into a mob. I don't recall this being the case at launch in fact I recall the opposite and people complaining that mob density was to high and agro ranges were to small and you ended up pulling half the zone and getting dismounted easily etc etc. I think they made adjustments shortly after launch behind the scenes to compensate for these complaints.

--

Beta is still up talk about the 11th hour...
    I bet they posted something like "due to the Ascended's efforts, less enemies exist in SM now! Trollololol

Also... open beta you mean? O.o
    "A flower.

A big difference you're noticing is by design in fact!

In the original release we ran out of real-estate to use for expanding the game and creating more interesting Zone Event encounters. A big part of this had to do with the fact we didn't even know RIFTs would be the focal point (let alone the namesake) of the game until late into the process - we have a HUGE advantage going into these zones with that idea in mind!

We now have the space we need to support our constantly expanding Massive Dynamic Content and actually design elements in the zone for use specifically during events.

On another note - these worlds have been largely overrun by Planar Invaders, couple that with the fact that we've reduced the need for bigger quest hubs by encouraging a more organic questing experience (you discover quest content as you explore the zone/story) and it actually allows us to make a more natural environment. One that's not overrun with little circles of dudes telling you to carry out their chores and get back to them.

So you're not crazy - but it's also not because we're lazy! It's an intentional part of the design to ensure that these areas continue to grow and change with the ever expanding story and dynamic content we're planning to introduce in coming updates

Once you see Instant Adventures, Zone Events, & World Events in action next to the questing content you'll see there's a method to our madness!
    James "Elrar" Nichols
    Former Community Manager
    Trion Worlds, Inc.

10+ Year Old Account
    I bet they posted something like "due to the Ascended's efforts, less enemies exist in SM now! Trollololol

Also... open beta you mean? O.o
    Nope closed beta. It's been closed since the last open beta weekend if that makes any sense They continue to patch the closed on a daily basis even in between the public betas.

---------- Post added 2012-11-12 at 09:15 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Elrar-Trion View Post

In the original release we ran out of real-estate to use for expanding the game and creating more interesting Zone Event encounters. A big part of this had to do with the fact we didn't even know RIFTs would be the focal point (let alone the namesake) of the game until late into the process - we have a HUGE advantage going into these zones with that idea in mind!

We now have the space we need to support our constantly expanding Massive Dynamic Content and actually design elements in the zone for use specifically during events.

On another note - these worlds have been largely overrun by Planar Invaders, couple that with the fact that we've reduced the need for bigger quest hubs by encouraging a more organic questing experience (you discover quest content as you explore the zone/story) and it actually allows us to make a more natural environment. One that's not overrun with little circles of dudes telling you to carry out their chores and get back to them.

So you're not crazy - but it's also not because we're lazy! It's an intentional part of the design to ensure that these areas continue to grow and change with the ever expanding story and dynamic content we're planning to introduce in coming updates

Once you see Instant Adventures, Zone Events, & World Events in action next to the questing content you'll see there's a method to our madness!
    I figured as much. I like to wear my tinfoil hat tightly on my head. Thanks for clearing that up. I was thinking as I was running around hey there are hardly any artifacts anywhere....then I said to myself I bet Elrar turned the artifact switch off as we seen in earlier betas the artifacts were floating, well even those were now gone.
    Last edited by Azuri; 2012-11-13 at 03:13 AM.

Damn, Elrar. Was just about to post and then you show up with a specific and honest explanation.

Also I remember when I first heard about Rift when it was Heroes of Telera. It was on MMORPG.com back in the day and I signed up for the newsletter thingy and eventually beta.

There is no game developer I respect more than Trion.

This is why I love you Elrar; you put my mind at ease! I will definately play .

Btw, what time do servers go live?

Quote Originally Posted by Marksman12 View Post
    Btw, what time do servers go live?
    All servers (NA + EU) come down at the same time: 8:00am PST / 4:00pm GMT, 11/13/12. They're calling for 4 hours of downtime but are hoping to start pulling things back online within 2 hours or so.

Relevant Link

10+ Year Old Account
    you'll see there's a method to our madness!

Trion... Rift... madness? HAH. *coughs horribly*
    "A flower.

madness
    Hi Akylios!

10+ Year Old Account
    During all the Betas i played tourist, didn't do too many quests to keep it all fresh, but i managed to explore every zone at level 50

Apart from the Dendrome (spelling?), the zone up north on Brevane which will be opened in 2.2 or so, i did notice some zones i could weave around avoiding mobs but i certainly wouldn't call it 'empty', only for the fact i was playing my favourite Necromancer/Warlock build there was no way i was exploring all the zones without judicious and copious use of "Feign Death", best spell evah!

There's a few large "dens" in Seratos which are jam packed with mobs, Steppes of Infinity has armies of Storm Legion roaming about, you can even be riding along thinking all is quiet and suddenly you get dive bombed from nowhere, the birds aren't very friendly

But yes, Azuri has it right, back in the first few months little Johnny solo pew pew hero whined that he couldn't solo 20 mobs together so mob density was vastly adjusted, making roads safe to travel on again

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Slipmat View Post
    making roads safe to travel on again
    Haven't roads in these games always been meant to be the safe spot? :P
    "A flower.