Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    Deleted

RMAH - how profitable is it?

I'm thinking about buying D3 and one of the main reasons is the RMAH. I want to know how many people actually buy items, what is the average price, how much is considered an expensive item.. things like this. I'm not expect to be able to make a living off this, but I think there are some really.. dedicated players that are willing to spend good amounts of money on items.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    It varies.

Getting items that are worth anything serious though, are obnoxiously rare.....
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

FIrst couple weeks after RMAH arrived i made quite a lot ... that was actually one of my goals, to sell everything i had at the beginning of the RMAH cause i knew things were going to get easier.

Now, today is a bit hard to say for sure hows everything working, i think only really good items are worth anything at all.

Early on it was worthwhile, now I doubt it's really worth the effort, at least not in EU.

I wouldn't buy it for the RMAH. You will need to develop a deeper understanding of what stats are most desired for each class and it's popular builds. It sounds easy at first but 1 stat off, or not enough of a certain stat can make or break an item. For both AH's an item really has to be near perfect to be profitable w/ gold or Real money.

I actually haven't looked at the RMAH in months, but I am assuming based on the current state of the game you will need powerful legendary items in order to make anywhere from $40-$60. And that will take some farming.

TL;DR: Buy the game for the game. You will be disappointed in the RMAH's profitability.

I play for an average of 12 hours a day and have made an average of about £3 per day over the last couple of months. So as others said, buy it for the game and not for profitability

a lot of people still sell stuff in RMAH, i have $80 bucks saved up just from selling items, took me about a month. I can also add few more bucks outta my pocket if i see item worthwhile. I'm trying to buy something BIGGGGGGG an item that i wont have to replace. Reason is they got some really good items in RMAH for high-end items.

Unless your botting you wont make a lot. Gold is like 50cents a million and the chances of you getting a highly rolled useful legendary on a daily basis is thin.

Stuff on the gold ah is hard to sell currently. People are geared and arent going to spend $20 for 15dex.

Its time has passed.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by chadwix View Post
    Unless your botting you wont make a lot. Gold is like 50cents a million and the chances of you getting a highly rolled useful legendary on a daily basis is thin.

Stuff on the gold ah is hard to sell currently. People are geared and arent going to spend $20 for 15dex.

Its time has passed.
    This pretty much, Made ~ 300€ in a couple of weeks and now
    after the MP patch the prices have dropped so low that you can
    buy almost any item for less than 5€.
    (if you can live with the fact it's 220 / 230 dexterity roll)

The game kinda sucks and now that it's super hard to make a profit with the RMAH
    I wouldn't buy it.

on EU nothing sells even a resonably top end item.

Its better to sell for gold and then proced to sell that gold in RMAH, but even gold price is comming down down down was .40 now is .30.

Right now you need to play a LOT to start getting money from RMAH. Also EU rmah is so bad compared to the US one it's really sad.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hellfury View Post
    on EU nothing sells even a resonably top end item.

Its better to sell for gold and then proced to sell that gold in RMAH, but even gold price is comming down down down was .40 now is .30.
    I seriously hope that climbs back up...
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

The real profit comes with new patches that bring better gear. Things will sell reasonably well with new patches and stuff.

Dumbest Thread 2012

The Unstoppable Force Resentful's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Ahhh people I'll make this simple and clean - RMAH right now is a disaster alright and let me make it clear, I've made probably over 6000$+ on stupid stuff literally people buy anything in the game all though half of it was actually flipping and controlling the RMAH with ease

The drop rates have a double edged sword, It reduced the value of most stuff technically. Even GG like items; The likely hood of you finding these ''GG'' items is pretty dumb alright like let me put that out there meaning It's like 2-5 months you will find THAT one item or something silly unless your a flipper like I have which I suggest you don't do It is quite dangerous mind you *wink* Anyway at this state of the game there isn't really much to buy unless It's a GG type of item people don't need it simply because they are likely geared already and well the game is obviously nerfed and doing higher MP's isn't exactly efficient which I'll get to that in another thread eventually

The point is very simple - Unless you have ridicilious amounts of the time like I do you aren't going to make much, Well you will make a couple $$$$ maybe but if you think you are going to make a business out of it without that ''time'' don't be fooled. The items in this game is beyond ridiculous right now

Like what I played 12+ hours yestoday in D3? Mass legendaries spawning everywhere and 99% of the time they are horrible pffy they aren't going to sell hell not even a couple mill. hahahaah

Anyway yeah It's not profitable as much as it use to be is all I will say

Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    I seriously hope that climbs back up...
    Doubt it, too much ofering, not much demand.

Ppl can farm act1 whit a 2-3million budget and that's enough to start farming paragon and drops of your own.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Synthaxx View Post
    Honestly, i sunk about £6 into buying a few million gold a few nights ago, bought some of the best gear in there (usually pieces under 500K, but i did sink 1M on a 1501 DPS Crossbow which is an absolute steal) and have absolutely no issue farming through any of the acts on Inferno. Hell, even monster power 3 wasn't much of a challenge. I did give MP7 Act 1 a shot, but the elites have crazy health. It's not an issue avoiding damage and surviving, but just that it takes a ridiculously long time to kill most of them (thankfully, both my monk and DH can share most of their gear so i was able to go back to the class i originally wanted to play but which was unviable (unless you had 800 resi, 40K HP, and still have sufficient damage output to avoid that frustrating fucking elite insta-kill DoT enrage).

But when i can get completely geared in some top-rate items, and still have millions to spare, items simply aren't gonna sell. It'd be more suitable to farm up Paragon levels and then sell gold. You'd have to farm a heavy amount to make anything serious though.

Where do you get those top end items for 500k from? All my upgrades now cost over 10 mil (minor upgrades) and if I want a decent one, I'd have to dish out 50 mil minimum and my gear is FAR from top end now. I could probably triple or maybe even get 10 times more damage with the real top end gear.. dual socket 1300 damage manti, 200 dex rings with AS, 6% crit, 40+ crit damage etc. but items like that cost 100s of millions and only things you can get for 500k are junk no one wants. Im pretty sure your 1500 damage xbow doesnt even have a socket.

MP5 onwards should give a much more XP bonus so more ppl feel the desire to buy better gear to speed up they paragon farming.

Drops should stay the same its already RNG as it is but more MP should give WAY more XP

Blizzard screwed their own RMAH. They set the trap by making legendaries the best items for most slots. They sprung it when they made legendaries drop like candy. Now everyone can afford the same legendaries, and the difference between the rich and the poor is just how good a roll they have on that legendary. There is little incentive to upgrade, since you're not getting anything "new", just an upgraded version of what you already have. The hardcores and addicts will do it, but everyone else cbf. Demand plummets and the economy dies. GG, Blizz.
    What the world needs is Lesshammad.

In about 400 hours of farming I've found 1 item worth about 50 bucks. 12cents an hour.... Though I have probably 200mil in gear but still... it's not an efficient way to make money unless you hit it early and took advantage of the crazy exchange rate fluctuations and item values.
    Last edited by Dhurn; 2012-11-17 at 01:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by juzalol View Post
    This pretty much, Made ~ 300€ in a couple of weeks and now
    after the MP patch the prices have dropped so low that you can
    buy almost any item for less than 5€.
    (if you can live with the fact it's 220 / 230 dexterity roll)

The game kinda sucks and now that it's super hard to make a profit with the RMAH

I wouldn't buy it.
    Game sucks because you can't make money in RMAH : P
    Game is nice...sucks RMAH isn't all that good anymore : (