Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Got to say to the OP...it's starting to seem like you should have never came back to WoW with all the bitching I've seen you do in threads today. Why did you come back exactly?

Quote Originally Posted by Trendy-Ideology View Post
    Incredibly poor change control process.

In my line of work, you plan out every change and if it fails you revert it, and if you're not done within the window, you bring the system back up so that there's no user impact. And if you can't do that, it's considered an outage and treated as such.

The fact that they continue to label this as "Scheduled" when it's in fact now technically an "Outage" is ridiculous.
    This response (which as usual seems to have fallen on deaf ears!) hits the nail on the head.

This is not a technical issue, it's a business practices issue.

Quote Originally Posted by schwarzkopf View Post
    Incorrect ... most of the time it is a 15minute restart.

Just because you only remember 2 or 3 weeks doesn't make your mistake valid.
    Glad others have their thinking heads on Also, there is a big patch coming, and always heavy maintenance before patches to get ready for the changes

Quote Originally Posted by NightZero88 View Post
    Most people are not saying they could do a better job. What most people ARE saying is that in this day and age with the technology out their and looking at one, their rolling restarts (15 minute downtime per realm) and two, other games out there, the maintenance should not take this long every Tuesday. And it really shouldn't. I work in IT but I'm certainly no expert but I do know having scripts to restart servers and doing them in a row is not that challenging. Now yes, they are releasing more raid environments and it is possible they are setting up for 5.1 but things shouldn't take this long anymore except if their is a serious issue.
    Who's to say there isn't a serious issue? You don't tell your customers that there's a serious issue and you are swapping out parts, or upgrading this, or performing a restore or this. If anything, you do that AFTER the dust is settled.

The REAL problem is that all of their servers are so inter-connected they are dependent on each other.
    Last edited by alturic; 2012-11-13 at 09:25 PM.

i don't understand why we're aren't compensated for this down time.

i work 6 days a week. the one day that i have off is tuesday, i enjoy playing wow and would like to play wow during the time that i have off, especially on my day off. however nearly every week since mop has been released i lose out on the opportunity to play. i have no demands on my time at the moment, but later in the day that won't be the case and what i want to do is play wow, but i can't.

Quote Originally Posted by Reibo View Post
    Got to say to the OP...it's starting to seem like you should have never came back to WoW with all the bitching I've seen you do in threads today. Why did you come back exactly?
    I came back because I got an email saying come back and try MoP for 10 days.

I'm bitching because I remember why I left now.

---------- Post added 2012-11-13 at 04:23 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by jakeic View Post
    We were in vanilla. Any time there was unexpected downtime they gave us a free day of gametime. I probably got 2-3 months free during vanilla.

Quote Originally Posted by Trendy-Ideology View Post
    Incredibly poor change control process.

In my line of work, you plan out every change and if it fails you revert it, and if you're not done within the window, you bring the system back up so that there's no user impact. And if you can't do that, it's considered an outage and treated as such.

The fact that they continue to label this as "Scheduled" when it's in fact now technically an "Outage" is ridiculous.
    I'd love to know what kinda work you do because you don't plan on rolling something out (if they are), but even if it's just maintenence and the if a problem arises say "Well guys, we had some problems with X we're going to revert everything we did (which takes time) and bring the servers back up. We'll shoot for next week again!".

Once you are committed to pushing an update, you stick with it. That's what internal testing is for.

Because you are not 'entitled' to compensation. This isn't a job and we don't get payed to play. We pay THEM to work and do a job. It's weirdly reversed I know.

They even told you that this maintenance was going to happen before hand. It's not like they slapped you in the face with maintenance, And if you have played WoW for more than a year, You should know Tuesdays are usually maintenance days. If anything, Work on Tuesdays and switch your off-day to Wed.

i work 6 days a week. the one day that i have off is tuesday, i enjoy playing wow and would like to play wow during the time that i have off, especially on my day off. however nearly every week since mop has been released i lose out on the opportunity to play. i have no demands on my time at the moment, but later in the day that won't be the case and what i want to do is play wow, but i can't.
    What's your paypal address? I'll send you the .50 you paid for todays access to the game.

There's no SLA stating uptime will be 99% or anything of the like. ANY online service even states that downtime is a possiblity.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Most of the time it's just a restart. It always bugs me when people say this happens EVERY Tuesday, it like people only remember the negative or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Elysara View Post
    Blizzard did server checks years ago and found out that Tuesdays tend to be the day where there is lower player traffic on the servers than normal for some odd reason.

You also have to take into consideration that WoW is just bigger than SWTOR,Rift and GW2. Blizzard has some monstrously huge servers to manage on a weekly basis and Blizzard is run by people, And people make mistakes and are not perfect. Hence why we have some technical issues from time to time, Expecting perfection is just asinine.

A game that has the population of a small country -- Versus a game that is Free to play....Yeah I think the game that has the population of a small country is going to have some down-time :S
    Incorrect on your first point. While Blizzard might of done that years ago that is not the reason. Every DC goes down on Tuesday. In corporate, networks go down on Tuesday. Why? It's a reason called Patch Tuesday in which Microsoft provides the WSUS (Windows Server Update Services) to all the servers. Today is the second Tuesday of November. Every second Tuesday in a month Microsoft patches the servers.

For Blizzard what they are doing is testing out the patches and updates that Microsoft has put out as is the DC (Data Center). If there is an issue with a server or a node (Router, Switch) then this could cause a delay with services that come back online. I can guarntee you that the Data Centers that host WoW also have a Sharepoint (or more) servers as well as Exchange servers too. Those are Microsoft servers made for data and e-mail.

Once all the updates have been tested and applied then the servers in those DC's will come back online. Those DC's come back online than WoW will come online as well.

So the summary response, don't blame Blizzard, blame Microsoft. And yes Blizzard uses Unix / Linux servers too, but not for games, those are using for billing / accounts. Great for databases.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by slozon View Post
    How many more servers does blizzard have compared to said games?
    How many more employees does blizz have? How much more do they make from subs or those greedy "services" they offer?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mercarcher View Post
    Just wanted to say, back in Vanilla any time there was an unexpected overage they gave us a free day of game time. That doesn't happen anymore.
    Just a thought, for those of you that are going to demand a free day or something... Ask yourself this... $15.00 divided by 30 is exactly um... $0.50.... or broken down even further... its just over $0.02 per hour... do you want the .02 credited to your accounts, or do you want them to focus on them finishing the maintenance

--- Want any of my Constitutional rights?, ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal. -- Note to mods: if you are going to infract me have the decency to post the reason, and expect to hold everyone else to the same standard.

We should be, but we won't.

10+ Year Old Account
    I just came back and they're patching something so I'm mad I have to wait!

I don't even think we've had maintenance on my server until now for the past three weeks. Seriously. I was on when servers were supposed to go off for three weeks in a row and they never did.

Very simple....Two reason.

They're dealing with probably older tech than say SWTOR or RIFT.
    Second, wayyyy more servers and way more fuckin inofrmation that's stored all over the place.

I personally would love to be @ Blizzard HQ when they do maintenance, would love to see it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by fizzbob View Post
    look man, you come here to vent by defending blizz's right to take your money and give you a loading screen, they come here to vent by bitching about blizz. you aren't better than them. hell you're a lot like them

like it or not, blizz's track record with maintenance is pretty much a meme at this point.

---------- Post added 2012-11-13 at 03:20 PM ----------

we've had 2 tuesdays since mop launched without a restart, one of those weeks saw a wednesday maintenance day

downtime right now is around 97.5% for mop which is worse than BC, wotlk and cata.
    really, 97.5% downtime?... that means it is up 2.5% of the time... well hell... That has to be factually correct, since we read it on the internet... but seriously... do you just make up numbers to see if someone will believe you. 2.5% up time would mean it would be up for a total of 36 minutes a day... and I'm pretty damn sure its been up far longer than that

--- Want any of my Constitutional rights?, ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal. -- Note to mods: if you are going to infract me have the decency to post the reason, and expect to hold everyone else to the same standard.

Quote Originally Posted by Psilar View Post
    I personally would love to be @ Blizzard HQ when they do maintenance, would love to see it.
    If you want to see monkeys throwing shit you can just go to the zoo

Quote Originally Posted by Moonsorow View Post
    We should be, but we won't.
    Are you compensated when you lose Internet? Phone? TV? Electric? Water? Didn't think so.

*Oh, before anyone says they are, if and ONLY if you bitch to them do they potentially do ANYTHING, and that's very, very unlikely still.

Quote Originally Posted by Moonsorow View Post
    Incorrect on your first point. While Blizzard might of done that years ago that is not the reason. Every DC goes down on Tuesday. In corporate, networks go down on Tuesday. Why? It's a reason called Patch Tuesday in which Microsoft provides the WSUS (Windows Server Update Services) to all the servers. Today is the second Tuesday of November. Every second Tuesday in a month Microsoft patches the servers.

For Blizzard what they are doing is testing out the patches and updates that Microsoft has put out as is the DC (Data Center). If there is an issue with a server or a node (Router, Switch) then this could cause a delay with services that come back online. I can guarntee you that the Data Centers that host WoW also have a Sharepoint (or more) servers as well as Exchange servers too. Those are Microsoft servers made for data and e-mail.

Once all the updates have been tested and applied then the servers in those DC's will come back online. Those DC's come back online than WoW will come online as well.

So the summary response, don't blame Blizzard, blame Microsoft. And yes Blizzard uses Unix / Linux servers too, but not for games, those are using for billing / accounts. Great for databases.
    Cool stuff.