1. #1

    FPS question please help.

    I have a GTX 550Ti graphics card, 750 watts of power. I know it's not top of the line or anything but here is my question. There are times when I run the game and my FPS are just fine like between 55-60 just fine. Other times for what seems to be no reason at all my FPS drop to 30 and stay at 30 and when I move my camra view they will jump back up to 60ish and go back down to 30. Dosent matter if i'm on ultra high good, custom, from time to time the Frame rates will drop to 30 and stay at 30 for no reason at all, other days it's fine and I have no issues at all with my frame rates. Most often I stay in the "Good" range or i'll go to high and custom it a little so it is a little less. Any ideas why for no reason my frame rates will drop to 30 and stay there for no reason at all?

  2. #2
    Well you didnt specify a game so Im assuming WoW, WoW is CPU limited etc but even so the 550 ti is pretty sad in terms of performance. Its not top of the line its border line not worth buying.

  3. #3
    Yeah I have actaully been very disapointed with it after buying it. Right now it's being good and i'm having no Frame rate issues...it's not always bad and I can play wow for a good portion of time with out issues. Just from time to time it will have that 30 Frame rate issue for no reason at all, I could be walking nagrand then it hits or just some random place with no action going on.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Scum bucket View Post
    Yeah I have actaully been very disapointed with it after buying it. Right now it's being good and i'm having no Frame rate issues...it's not always bad and I can play wow for a good portion of time with out issues. Just from time to time it will have that 30 Frame rate issue for no reason at all, I could be walking nagrand then it hits or just some random place with no action going on.

    I think that's normal. In Pandaria when flying or other populated places it's normal for fps to drop. Even with the best cpu and gpu fps aren't always constant.

    In Raids/LFR/Dungeons fps are more stable than outdoors.

  5. #5
    My mate uses a gtx 550 (with 1st gen i7) and pulls 100 fps +, i.m.o it sounds like the card is underclocking or such, e.g. my card currently does it and it is/was annoying.

    My fps would randomly drop to 30, and back to 60, the card went from core clock, to underclock tosave power or such, make sure this isnt happening, have ur GPU control panel open / easy access to what settings are running, when u hit 30 fps, quickly check if anything has changed.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by TwentyTwelve View Post
    My mate uses a gtx 550 (with 1st gen i7) and pulls 100 fps +, i.m.o it sounds like the card is underclocking or such, e.g. my card currently does it and it is/was annoying.

    My fps would randomly drop to 30, and back to 60, the card went from core clock, to underclock tosave power or such, make sure this isnt happening, have ur GPU control panel open / easy access to what settings are running, when u hit 30 fps, quickly check if anything has changed.
    No he doesnt, do not confuse 1280x1024 resolution for 1920x1080, nor dont confuse stairing directly into the ground for anything near a real benchmark.

  7. #7
    Disable vsync. I have a 7950 and it would probably be doing the same so ignore the people trashing your video card.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by tayguer84 View Post
    Disable vsync. I have a 7950 and it would probably be doing the same so ignore the people trashing your video card.
    First off a 550 is not even the same thing as a 7950 in any term not even a 650 is close to a 7950. Secondly once again in any true game zone in WoW i.e major city raid dungeon w/e you will not see 100+ fps w/ Cyanoticals rig.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Milkshake86 View Post
    First off a 550 is not even the same thing as a 7950 in any term not even a 650 is close to a 7950. Secondly once again in any true game zone in WoW i.e major city raid dungeon w/e you will not see 100+ fps w/ Cyanoticals rig.
    True, but it's certainly enough to handle a game like WoW on high settings. The problem he is describing is likely due to vertical sync.

  10. #10
    Wanted to thank you tayguer84, turning off vertical sync fixed the problem.

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by tayguer84 View Post
    True, but it's certainly enough to handle a game like WoW on high settings. The problem he is describing is likely due to vertical sync.
    Vertical sync shouldnt cause any problems it does more benefit than harm

  12. #12
    well when i have vertical sync on my frame rates average 60 when its being good, when I have it off my frame rates average in the low to mid 100's and I don't have the problem where for no reason my frame rates drop to 30 and stick at 30.


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •