Page 1 of 7
1
2
3
... LastLast
  1. #1
    Dreadlord xytech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Stormscale
    Posts
    864

    So... anyone tried windows 8?

    I'm currently running windows 7 ultimate and I'm quite happy with that. However I see windows 8 is out and you can update to it for ~40$. I just wonder if anyone tried it and got any comments. Mainly I wonder how it is without a start menu and if it's too designed around touch.

  2. #2
    Tried it on my laptop, uninstalled straight away.

  3. #3
    Brewmaster orangelemonrain's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    1,307
    I downloaded it on my gaming PC, I didnt like it at first, but after the first 3 days I dont think i'd even consider going back

  4. #4
    Upgrade for the love of god, just do it.
    I installed Windows 8 on my laptop, and I really love it. Not because of the modern UI (because nobody except tablet/AIO owners "really" like it) but because it's Windows 7 2.0, it's more lightweight and it's more visually appealing.
    Again, the modern-UI and the ribbon are atrocious, but they made a crapton of new keyboard shortcuts that I plan to use to make my experience better than it was on W7.

    Without all the prejudice, Windows 8 is just Windows 7 with Service Pack 2 (spiritually).

    EDIT: http://blogs.windows.com/cfs-filesys...0_5756566F.png
    all of those shortcuts!
    it's beautiful! /cry
    Last edited by Exileos; 2012-11-07 at 12:30 PM.

  5. #5
    Sure I did. You don't have a Start menu but you have a Start page.

    The only problem I have with it is that it doesn't run Cyberlink PowerDVD 10, but that is not Microsoft's fault.

    Overall, I'm very pleased with it.

  6. #6
    I have it installed for about 2 months (MSDN for developers is that awesome).. I really really don't like it. I see no reason to change from Windows 7 ATM. Win 8 provides next to nothing a user would really need, brings new interface that is annoying and overwhelming at start and is clearly created for tablets more than PCs.. Seriously scrolling sideways? First tip that is shown while installing (or right after it) is to SWIPE your screen.. Metro apps hide in a different taskbar than regular apps (so to turn everything off you'll find yourself switching between both interfaces), they added mouse gestures that are painful if you have more monitors - I run dual monitor setup and running with my mouse from left down corner to right up corner stresses my wrists too much..
    I can see this OS working good/great on handheld devices, tablets, maybe even laptops. For a desktop I don't really see a reason to use it ATM. Windows 7 is new XP now, stick with it if you don't feel the need to "check new OS just because it's new". It's nothing like changing from Vista to 7, feels more like opposite.
    Quote Originally Posted by Archaeon View Post
    In tbc everyone wished they were playing vanilla. In cataclysm everyone will wish they were playing wotlk.
    ^------True story!!

  7. #7
    Dreadlord xytech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Stormscale
    Posts
    864
    Quote Originally Posted by DemoBytom View Post
    I have it installed for about 2 months (MSDN for developers is that awesome).. I really really don't like it. I see no reason to change from Windows 7 ATM. Win 8 provides next to nothing a user would really need, brings new interface that is annoying and overwhelming at start and is clearly created for tablets more than PCs.. Seriously scrolling sideways? First tip that is shown while installing (or right after it) is to SWIPE your screen.. Metro apps hide in a different taskbar than regular apps (so to turn everything off you'll find yourself switching between both interfaces), they added mouse gestures that are painful if you have more monitors - I run dual monitor setup and running with my mouse from left down corner to right up corner stresses my wrists too much..
    I can see this OS working good/great on handheld devices, tablets, maybe even laptops. For a desktop I don't really see a reason to use it ATM. Windows 7 is new XP now, stick with it if you don't feel the need to "check new OS just because it's new". It's nothing like changing from Vista to 7, feels more like opposite.
    Using dual monitors so that would indeed be a problem.

  8. #8
    The Patient Dungeonravor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    212
    Never been more pleased with a windows it runs great, faster, more lightweight and that stupid metro ui you get used to in what? 3 minutes? you can even just set everything on your desktop if you want to and just remove everything from the metro ui. So don't really get why people are complaining at all. It runs way better then windows 7

  9. #9
    TOTALLY NOT
    Banned
    tetrisGOAT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    12,587
    Tonnes of people have. The general consensus is carefully positive. It's more intuitive, however people who are habitual in their computer usage may run into an adaption period; For new users, it will be very easy to get into.
    Most, but not all, applications seem to work natively.
    Quote Originally Posted by Exileos View Post
    Thanks. This will come in handy as a reference chart.

  10. #10
    Windows 8 is nice if you are on a tablet or a touch screen laptop. But for a desktop or a waptop that doesn't have a touch screen it's rather annoying. You'd better stick with Windows 7...

  11. #11
    Legendary! Ryme's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    In a field, somewhere
    Posts
    6,224
    Don't want to deal with a terrible UI, I'm not going to change unless I have to.

    I've yet to see many really significant performance increases, either.
    I am the lucid dream
    Uulwi ifis halahs gag erh'ongg w'ssh


  12. #12
    I have access to W8 pro from work and I have installed it on everything I own. I really like it.
    "Man is a slow, sloppy and brilliant thinker; the machine is fast, accurate and stupid." -William M. Kelly

  13. #13
    Bloodsail Admiral foil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    1,169
    Metro/Windows 8 is nothing but Win 7 stripped for mobile devices and with Adware included.

    Live tiles now stream adverts onto your Start Screen non stop, generating revenue for M$ every time you use the Start Button.

    On almost every page of Metro apps is the same with spam and adverts taking up 1/4-1/2 the screen on every app page, wasting bandwidth and lagging your connection.

    The Adverts and spam will only get worse when M$ ramps up the sales of these ad spaces. Will be like using Internet Explorer without an Adblocker with lag and crap getting in the way of your work.

    * User was infracted for this post and others across topics; You are welcome to prevent your point in a way that isn't intentionally provocative.
    Last edited by tetrisGOAT; 2012-11-07 at 03:23 PM.

  14. #14
    Legendary! Evil Inside's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Down Under
    Posts
    6,864
    Quote Originally Posted by pnv View Post
    Windows 8 is nice if you are on a tablet or a touch screen laptop. But for a desktop or a waptop that doesn't have a touch screen it's rather annoying. You'd better stick with Windows 7...
    I'm having absolutely no problem with it. I hardly even use the "start" screen, its like windows 7 but somewhat better performance.

    ---------- Post added 2012-11-07 at 03:12 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by foil View Post
    Metro/Windows 8 is nothing but Win 7 stripped for mobile devices and with Adware included.

    Live tiles now stream adverts onto your Start Screen non stop, generating revenue for M$ every time you use the Start Button.

    On almost every page of Metro apps is the same with spam and adverts taking up 1/4-1/2 the screen on every app page, wasting bandwidth and lagging your connection.

    The Adverts and spam will only get worse when M$ ramps up the sales of these ad spaces. Will be like using Internet Explorer without an Adblocker with lag and crap getting in the way of your work.
    Had no problem with any of this.. People dont get this but YOU DONT EVEN NEED TO USE THE METRO UI infact you can use it exactly like windows 7.

    OT: Just upgrade, it's worth it. If you want the old start menu back there are free softwares out there that return it and even make it boot to desktop mode.
    Last edited by Evil Inside; 2012-11-07 at 03:13 PM.
    ||i5 3570k @ 4.4GHz||H100 push/pull||AsRock Z77 Extreme4||16Gb G.Skill Ripjaws 1600MHz||HD6970/HD6950 crossfire|| Coolermaster Storm Trooper||Corsair TX850 Enthusiast Series||Samsung 840 Pro 128gb(boot drive)||3x 1tb Western Digital HDD||

    Bdk Nagrand / Astae Nagrand
    Pokemon X FC: 4656-7679-2545/Trainer Name: Keno

  15. #15
    Bloodsail Admiral foil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    1,169
    INFRACTED FOR SAYING "M$" lol.

    Mod you in bed with MS? Are you saying M$ isnt greedy? Why else would they force this Metro "Ad serving platform" into the middle of your pc?

    EDIT:
    "MS" i mean lol.
    Last edited by foil; 2012-11-07 at 03:34 PM.

  16. #16
    Lots of people love it, lots like it, lots dislike and lots hate. I personally love it... It's fast, it's stable, I've been using since Release Preview/Consumer Preview/RTM on an i5 Tablet and Laptop, and AMD Bulldozer Desktop with no crashes errors or compatibility issues. I have a bulldozer processor on my main PC which Windows 8, with their updated scheduler, performs a lot better with compared to 7... but your opinion won't be truly formed until you actually try it.

    It does have a lot of touch features, but designed around touch? No. The amount of keyboard shortcuts are ridiculous. In fact, I find it quicker and easier to get what I want on Win 8 than 7. You can still use the Windows key and start typing if you want to do a search. I mean, all the same functionality is there, it's just a little bit different, and in my opinion doesn't deserve the backlash it's getting.

    On my main PC I also have a GTX680, performs just as well on Win 8, no issues with games thus far.
    Last edited by The Cat; 2012-11-07 at 03:36 PM.

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by foil View Post
    INFRACTED FOR SAYING "M$" lol.

    Mod you in bed with MS? Are you saying M$ isnt greedy? Why else would they force this Metro "Ad serving platform" into the middle of your pc?
    Let's be honest, your avatar is quite telling.

    However, Windows 8 is a good design in my opinion. I'm just waiting for it to hit the SP1 equivalent stage before I start using it full time - still a few programs that I have the odd issue with on it atm.

  18. #18
    Scarab Lord Anjerith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    The apotheosis of all Deserts
    Posts
    4,990
    Yes I have tried it and the best recommendation I can give you is this; Windows is on a revolving cycle of Crap - Good - Crap.

    Windows Vista Crap
    Bunch of new features that were unrefined on a bloated package

    Windows 7 Good
    Refined the Good stuff in Vista

    Windows 8 Crap
    Unwieldy UI that is designed around tablets, basically a moneygrab. Under the hood stuff is great but you have to work around the MetroUI. And please don't say you can relocate your items to the desktop or you can turn it off (you cant really). You Shouldnt HAVE TO do that.

    Windows ..next ....fill in the blank
    Unless touchscreens become mandatory on PCs in the next 3 years, probably going to see the Under the Hood stuff from win8 and a return to the traditional desktop.
    Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    Gold and the 'need' for it in-game is easily one of the most overblown mindsets in this community.

  19. #19
    Legendary! Asmekiel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Maybe over there
    Posts
    6,390
    Quote Originally Posted by foil View Post
    INFRACTED FOR SAYING "M$" lol.
    M$ is brandbashing and that's not allowed on this forum.

    Installed it a few weeks ago on my laptop, it's awesome. Lighter than W7, faster and better looking (but that's my opinion).
    To get one thing out of the way You don't have to use the Metro UI People saying that you have to can be ignored, since that alone means they haven't even bothered trying it.
    The only problem I have so far is that after longer gaming sessions, the videocard driver starts crashing. Waiting on Nvidia to release a new driver, since this one is almost 5 months old already.

  20. #20
    What video card do you have? nVidia has been releasing a couple drivers a month...

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •