Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
1
2
  1. #21
    I am Murloc! Xuvial's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    5,036
    Oh no top exhaust...never mind then, set up the H60 as exhaust :P

  2. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by Xuvial View Post
    Oh no top exhaust...never mind then, set up the H60 as exhaust :P
    O.o and its top mounted PSU! Craziness.

  3. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by Xuvial View Post
    Oh no top exhaust...never mind then, set up the H60 as exhaust :P

    I know I specifically saw a post that you made talking about this. But I can't remember where I saw it. When you say exhaust you mean to have the air flow OUT of the back of the case? (So arrow pointing out of the case)

    Thanks to Mythriz for the sig!
    Guide to analyzing a restoration druid
    Feel free to ask me questions about healers.

  4. #24
    I am Murloc! Xuvial's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    5,036
    Quote Originally Posted by krazyito65 View Post
    I know I specifically saw a post that you made talking about this. But I can't remember where I saw it. When you say exhaust you mean to have the air flow OUT of the back of the case? (So arrow pointing out of the case)
    Yup.
    Exhaust = air inside the case is getting pushed outwards
    Intake = air outside the case is getting pulled inwards

    Then there's also where you place the fan in relation to the heatsink/radiator. A fan can "pull" air through the rad/heatsink or "push" air through the rad/heatsink, the ">>" is the direction the fan is blowing air:

    Pull (intake):
    (outside air) > (radiator) > (fan >>) > (inside air)
    Push (intake):
    (outside air) > (fan >>) > (radiator) > (inside air)

    Pull (exhaust):
    (outside air) < (<< fan) < (radiator) < (inside air)
    Push (exhaust):
    (outside air) < (radiator) < (<< fan) < (inside air)

    Push/pull (intake):
    (outside air) > (fan >>) > (radiator) > (fan >>) > (inside air)
    Push/pull (exhaust):
    (outside air) < (<< fan) > (radiator) < (<< fan) < (inside air)


    Since there is no top exhaust on the case OP has, best thing to do would be going with the standard single-fan "push" setup for H60:
    (outside air) < (radiator) < (<< fan) < (inside air)
    Last edited by Xuvial; 2012-11-15 at 03:17 AM.

  5. #25
    The solution to your fps problem would be to 1) get an Nvidia card and 2) if you're still not satisfied after with the fps switch to a better cpu (Intel sandy or ivy bridge).

    I had the same problem. If you're gonna play WoW go with an nvidia card.

    BTW 15fps is very low and unplayable.

    Also reseat your ram sticks. It looks like either 1) there may be an issue with either a ram stick or a ram slot (i don't believe so) or 2) you installed the sticks next to the other (reason why u have 2 sticks but it's still running in single channel mode).

    Install your ram sticks like so:

    RAM Slot 1: RAM Stick
    RAM Slot 2: Empty
    RAM Slot 3: RAM Stick
    RAM Slot 4: Empty

    Installing your ram sticks in slots 2 and 4 is also the same as having them in 1 and 3. Although this won't help with your fps issue it's good to look into.

    Another thing to keep in mind is that wow uses over 1GB of VRAM (1.0-1.3GB VRAM roughly). For a resolution of 1920x1080 be sure your next video card has at least 1.5GB of VRAM.
    Last edited by c0rnel; 2012-11-15 at 03:24 AM.

  6. #26
    Quote Originally Posted by c0rnel View Post
    The solution to your fps problem would be to 1) get an Nvidia card and 2) if you're still not satisfied after with the fps switch to a better cpu (Intel sandy or ivy bridge).

    I had the same problem. If you're gonna play WoW go with an nvidia card.

    BTW 15fps is very low and unplayable.

    Also reseat your ram sticks. It looks like either 1) there may be an issue with either a ram stick or a ram slot (i don't believe so) or 2) you installed the sticks next to the other (reason why u have 2 sticks but it's still running in single channel mode).

    Install your ram sticks like so:

    RAM Slot 1: RAM Stick
    RAM Slot 2: Empty
    RAM Slot 3: RAM Stick
    RAM Slot 4: Empty

    Installing your ram sticks in slots 2 and 4 is also the same as having them in 1 and 3. Although this won't help with your fps issue it's good to look into.

    Another thing to keep in mind is that wow uses over 1GB of VRAM (1.0-1.3GB VRAM roughly). For a resolution of 1920x1080 be sure your next video card has at least 1.5GB of VRAM.
    I already bought me a new cooler and I am fairly positive that my issue is with overheating. Here are a few things I want to tell you though.

    1) I thoroughly despise your suggestions. You did not help me other then say "replace everything you bought because if you don't have this then it sucks". I said in the original post I was not going to spend over $300 to fix it, but that was to change the cooling system, motherboard or ram, Which I thought were one of the more likely issues. I had no intention, or even stated, that I wanted to replace my processor or video card. I know of people who have the same processor as me and have no problems. He also overclocks his, which I am going to look into once I get the better cooler.

    2) 15fps maybe unplayable for you, but I've raided 25 man with worse, but more consistent rates. As long as the choppyness is not constant I don't really care. I just want to play the game smoothly without it freezing up.

    3) WoW is not graphics intensive. I'm fine with playing with very minimal settings. I highly do not think upgrading the video card right now will significantly change my FPS.

    4) On the issue of RAM: This is the first and only useful bit of information you have told me. I will look into it, but I'm sure that is the way I have it. If not, Thank you for the recommendation. I know for a fact I have them in either slot 1 and 3 or 2 and 4.
    Last edited by krazyito65; 2012-11-15 at 05:11 AM. Reason: Typos...

    Thanks to Mythriz for the sig!
    Guide to analyzing a restoration druid
    Feel free to ask me questions about healers.

  7. #27
    Quote Originally Posted by krazyito65 View Post
    4) On the issue of RAM: This is the first and only useful bit of information you have told me. I will look into it, but I'm sure that is the way I have it. If not, Thank you for the recommendation. I know for a fact I have them in either slot 1 and 3 or 2 and 4.
    Since speccy says you're running single channel mode, most likely the RAM sticks are in wrong slots as I said in first page. Usually the slots are color coded and you put those into slots that are same color, or do the every other slot, or something. Motherboard manual will also explain it.

    Older AMD boards (like the one you have, considering it accepts DDR2 RAM) can be very picky with the type of RAM it can handle, and it's even possible (although not likely) that your current 4GB sticks are so big it can't handle those in dual channel configuration.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

  8. #28
    Last update. Thanks everyone who helped. I looked again into the RAM issue, and it indeed was in the wrong slot. When c0rnel mentioned the way the ram should be
    RAM Slot 1: RAM Stick
    RAM Slot 2: Empty
    RAM Slot 3: RAM Stick
    RAM Slot 4: Empty
    I knew for a fact I had it like that, and I checked it again. Then I got my cooler, installed it, started up WoW and went into LFR. Boom. Instant 8FPS on the trash. I was like. REALLY? Goddammit what else could be the damn problem? I went back and looked at the RAM and noticed that the slots were color coded (as vesseblah stated) and promptly switched one of the sticks down the row. Went back into LFR, it wasn't as bad.. Still a noticeable drop, but doable. Did the boss, and felt pretty consistent the whole time.

    So by the end of this month I'm going to go ahead and upgrade my motherboard and RAM. My RAM is 800MHz~ and my motherboard only supports DDR2. So I might as well get that out the way at some point. The out-dated RAM, I think, is the last thing I can think of being the cause of any kind of problem. If that doesn't work, I'm just going to eventually save like $1k-$1.5k, say fuck it, and buy everything new with Intel or a pre-made list. If i end up doing that ill give this rig to a family member or sell it to someone or something..

    Again, Thank you all that helped me in confirming what I thought my issue was. This has been a great learning experience for me at the very least for what to be looking for in computer parts in the future.


    ----
    Edit: Hmm something happened where my post all got deleted except the most recent one.. For some reason I saw a double post and trid to delete the extra, then everything went away.. Meh.. w/e the above post is the most relevant anyway.

    Thanks to Mythriz for the sig!
    Guide to analyzing a restoration druid
    Feel free to ask me questions about healers.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •