Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Yet Another FPS Problem Thread.

So I have no idea what to do. Sometimes have FPS problems sometimes I don't.. I have no idea what to do or how to fix it. When I say FPS problems I mean, very choppy graphics and it goes from 15-30 FPS in the middle of raids (25 man)... Sometimes it stays near 15 but still choppy..

I honestly don't care if I stay at 15 FPS during raid. AS LONG AS ITS SMOOTH T_T/..

I feel I have a fairly decent computer. I built it myself but I just don't know what the problem is.

If I had to guess it would be one, or a combination of 4 things. My OS (Win8), My Mobo, my ram (8GB), or lastly my CPU overheating (Stock fan).

I can easily go back to Win7, just I've been to lazy/procrastinating to do it. The same with buying a new Motherboard/RAM. I am also not opposed to maybe buying a high-end air fan. Although I don't want to spend over $300 (at once) to fix any of these issues if they are indeed the problem.

Here are the rest of my specs...

This is my PSU if it matters any.
    My GPU.

Please let me know if you need any more information. I want to remedy this once and for all.

Misc info: I have turned off ALL background processes.. and have even set the affinity mask to have WoW run in the back 3 cores of my processor. I am using the minimal number of addons that I want to deal with. I still want to have addons because of quality of life and gameplay reasons.

Weak auras can probably get up to 10-15MB during raid.
    My latency has recently been usually high, but I've had FPS problems sometimes before this as well.

I would post a picture of my WoW System settings but in a futile attempt to remedy, I set everything to low
    Last edited by Krazyito; 2012-11-14 at 02:05 AM.

When was that info picture taken? While alt-tabbing from a game or on empty windows desktop?

65C on the processor on a desktop is way way too much and means either the CPU heatsink/fan has problems or case airflow is bad. Overheat protection of processor kicking in is the most common explanation for the kind of problems you're having.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by vesseblah View Post
    When was that info picture taken? While alt-tabbing from a game or on empty windows desktop?

65C on the processor on a desktop is way way too much and means either the CPU heatsink/fan has problems or case airflow is bad. Overheat protection of processor kicking in is the most common explanation for the kind of problems you're having.
    Yeah, man.. Notice how your CPU temp's color is orange and the rest of the temp's are yellow? Yeah, might want to fix that.

10+ Year Old Account
    65c?? That is higher than the absolute safe max temp of 1090T (62c), you need to get that sorted ASAP. Dump the stock cooler and buy something like a Hyper212+ or Xigmatek Gaia, both are low-end tower coolers which I *hope* should easily fit in your case, both run vastly quieter and cooler than stock. If you want to spend a little more then can't go with with an NZXT Havik (careful though, it's big) or a closed-loop cooler like Corsair H60 (new edition). You can also carry on the new cooler to your next CPU upgrade without issues, it's a win-win.

I believe your CPU is throttling itself pretty hard, that's probably why you get drops in framerates.

Motherboard/RAM are more than fine, GPU is also good enough. Your rig should be able to handle mostly high, maybe some ultra settings (minus shadows obviously) but you may have to drop to high/medium in 25 man raids.

For now get just get that CPU sorted, at full load it shouldn't cross 55c.

If you were running an Intel chip (like Sandy/Ivy) then you could hit hit 80c, hell even 90c without issues...but previous-generation AMD chips like Athlons/Phenoms get extremely touchy with anything higher than 60c :P
    Last edited by Xuvial; 2012-11-14 at 08:18 AM.
    WoW Character: Wintel - Frostmourne (OCE)
    Gaming rig: i7 7700K, GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4, BenQ 144hz 1440p

Signature art courtesy of Blitzkatze

Deleted
    Do try and test your temps with something else though because I've noticed that specific program to give wrong readings more often than not (Speccy).

Real Temp

When you built your computer are you sure that you seated your CPU cooler correctly?

Btw, looking at your speccy screenshot, do you really have only one stick of ram?
    Last edited by Musta Kyy; 2012-11-14 at 09:26 AM.
    | Ryzen R7 5800X | Radeon RX 6800 |

Quote Originally Posted by Dawgsnstuff View Post
    Btw, looking at your speccy screenshot, do you really have only one stick of ram?
    Possibly wrong slots so that it breaks dual channel.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawgsnstuff View Post
    When you built your computer are you sure that you seated your CPU cooler correctly?
    Yes. I seated it correctly. I built the computer over a year and a half ago (maybe 2).

I have 2 4GB sticks.

And after I made this post (before checking these comments) I came to the conclusion that the most likely solution was to get a higher-end fan for the CPU.. I'm gonna try to do that as soon as I can.

Also, my processor is not supported by RealTemp. lol

Quote Originally Posted by Xuvial View Post
    Motherboard/RAM are more than fine, GPU is also good enough. Your rig should be able to handle mostly high, maybe some ultra settings (minus shadows obviously) but you may have to drop to high/medium in 25 man raids.
    I don't care if I run on mostly low settings. As long as I can see what is going on in the game and its not choppy as fuck. I will take a look at your suggested coolers.

The big one you mentioned, will it fit in a mid size tower? My board is Micro, but I have a Mid-tower.
    Last edited by Krazyito; 2012-11-14 at 06:09 PM.

65c?? That is higher than the absolute safe max temp of 1090T (62c)
    AMD gives an enclosure thermal limit, as in the max ambient temp inside the case should be 62c, the headroom is like 75-80c before your in trouble.

10+ Year Old Account
    I looked into the higher end coolers you mentioned Corsair H60. Since I have never used a liquid cooler, What is expected of me to know how to use/install? I really don't want to do something wrong and fry my entire system

Quote Originally Posted by krazyito65 View Post
    I looked into the higher end coolers you mentioned Corsair H60. Since I have never used a liquid cooler, What is expected of me to know how to use/install? I really don't want to do something wrong and fry my entire system
    It is the same as putting an aircooler on, its closed loop you mess with nothing really.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ok. And it also comes with a 120mm fan. Is that optional to put into my case? or should I replace one of my existing fans with it?

Thanks for all the help guys.

---------- Post added 2012-11-14 at 12:30 PM ----------

I just bought that cooler on Amazon for about $10 more, but got one-day shipping. Yay prime!. I'll let you guys know if It helps. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by krazyito65 View Post
    Ok. And it also comes with a 120mm fan. Is that optional to put into my case? or should I replace one of my existing fans with it?

Thanks for all the help guys.

---------- Post added 2012-11-14 at 12:30 PM ----------

I just bought that cooler on Amazon for about $10 more, but got one-day shipping. Yay prime!. I'll let you guys know if It helps. Thanks.
    The fan goes on the radiator which should be mounted in the rear fan mesh.

Deleted
    Did you actually check the temperature with something else than Speccy? I know you said RealTemp didn't support it, I'd just want to make sure before you invest any money.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes. I used CoreTemp.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well CoreTemp was buggy as hell for my Intel processor, kept reporting it at 98c and set off alarm bells.

But both Speccy and Coretemp report 65c so I'll take that as a confirmation that your processor is getting the shit overheated out of it. New cooler time bud :s

10+ Year Old Account
    Any other temperature programs? Regardless, I already bought it and Its just something I was thinking about before I just never shelled out the money to do it. So it just goes towards the "upgrade as I go" category.. lol

10+ Year Old Account
    Hmm there's actually two Corsair H60's, one uses the old fan and pump and the new one uses...well, a new pump and an SP120 fan. The price difference is also quite large which I only just realized...hmm I wonder. Anyway the performance difference shouldn't be *too* huge, or at least I hope.

Typically you'll see people installing the H60 as the EXHAUST which I feel isn't making the most of a radiator-based cooler like that. Assuming your case has a top exhaust fan, you should install H60 as an intake (still attached to your rear exhaust, but pulling air IN from there). So instead of using the warm air in your case to cool the rad, you'll be using the cool air outside the case. The air brought into the case by the cooler will then get exhausted out the top.

Hmm there's actually two Corsair H60's, one uses the old fan and pump and the new one uses...well, a new pump and an SP120 fan. The price difference is also quite large which I only just realized...hmm I wonder. Anyway the performance difference shouldn't be *too* huge, or at least I hope.

Typically you'll see people installing the H60 as the EXHAUST which I feel isn't making the most of a radiator-based cooler like that. Assuming your case has a top exhaust fan, you should install H60 as an intake (still attached to your rear exhaust, but pulling air IN from there). So instead of using the warm air in your case to cool the rad, you'll be using the cool air outside the case. The air brought into the case by the cooler will then get exhausted out the top.
    In most cases top will be larger than 120mm, removing say two 120's or a single 200 would stifle the case, the density of the fins on the rad and fact that its only an H60 lead me to believe you would barely see 1c change depending on your mounting. Then the way a rad seperates water into tiny little spots even warm air is going to be cooling to it.