Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst
1
2
3
4
... LastLast
  1. #21
    Quote Originally Posted by RadasNoir View Post
    *sigh* And that line of thinking just reminds of TOR's release, where it became evident that the game could have used a bit more polish before launch. And how they championed the Legacy system before it was truly implemented. You'd think they would've learned about pushing things out too soon....
    Does EA ever learn from their mistakes?
    Lv40 (Firefall) Dragonfly, Mammoth, Nighthawk, Arsenal
    Lv50 (FF14) Paladin, Warrior (Swtor) Agent, Warrior, Knight, Inquisitor, Trooper, Consular, Smuggler, Hunter
    Lv60 (NWO) Rogue, Fighter, Wizard, Guardian, Cleric (Rift) Rogue
    Lv80/85 (GW2) Thief (WoW) Rogue, Mage, Priest, Hunter, Warlock, Warrior, Death Knight, Paladin, Druid, Shaman

  2. #22
    Titan Kelimbror's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Tír na nÓg
    Posts
    11,815
    Quote Originally Posted by hk-51 View Post
    I did say I was min/maxing.

    This is intended to be the bear minimum for the most playability.
    Most people would not be satisfied with only two characters, so unfortunately the costs will be far higher for everyone. As much as I loathed people saying "just sub" because their attitudes and reasoning for it were completely wrong, I will now continue to say "just sub" because it behooves you as a customer if it doesn't morally/ethically rub you raw.

    Kinda shitty that even deciding to play this way makes me feel dirty because of how it is setup. Like I being taken advantage of or abused, even though it *is* your choice. Even worse of a feeling thinking about all of the people who aren't as informed that will make needed purchases as soon as they hit a wall with action bars, or flashpoints, not knowing the full ramifications of their purchase.

    A fool and their money are soon parted though..so...ehh.

  3. #23
    Great post, thank you very much. One minor nitpick with

    Quote Originally Posted by hk-51 View Post
    That's 40 dollars. For almost 6 months. 86 dollar value (15/mo subscription) if you are just a pvpr or just a pver. Think about that. You can access half the game for just under half the price. Good deal.
    Since being a subscriber accumulates cartel coins, buying a 6 month subscription effectively allows access to "half the game" for more than 6 months. If Dulfy's number of "500 complimentary Cartel Coins per month" is official and confirmed, that would actually equal an extra ~3 months.

  4. #24
    Immortal Dezerte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    7,254
    Quote Originally Posted by Kittyvicious View Post
    Kinda shitty that even deciding to play this way makes me feel dirty because of how it is setup. Like I being taken advantage of or abused, even though it *is* your choice. Even worse of a feeling thinking about all of the people who aren't as informed that will make needed purchases as soon as they hit a wall with action bars, or flashpoints, not knowing the full ramifications of their purchase.

    A fool and their money are soon parted though..so...ehh.
    I'm finding myself in a similar position, I like the game but the way EA/BioWare has handled it and continue to handle it makes me feel like it would be unethical to support them with my money. I just wish they could do something to restore my trust in them, because I want to play SWTOR without feeling like a dirty muggle.
    To declare that a personal, inner experience gives certainty about the workings of the universe is to assign far too much value to one’s subjective sense of conviction.
    I’m not that arrogant.

    The brain, marvelous instrument though it is, isn’t infallible. It can misfire, seize or hallucinate, and it can do so in a way that’s utterly indistinguishable from reality to the person experiencing it.

  5. #25
    Quote Originally Posted by thevoicefromwithin View Post
    Since being a subscriber accumulates cartel coins, buying a 6 month subscription effectively allows access to "half the game" for more than 6 months. If Dulfy's number of "500 complimentary Cartel Coins per month" is official and confirmed, that would actually equal an extra ~3 months.
    The only issue with that is that if you are going to be switching between subscription and f2p, while you are subscribed, your investment into your f2p unlocks are a waste.
    Lv40 (Firefall) Dragonfly, Mammoth, Nighthawk, Arsenal
    Lv50 (FF14) Paladin, Warrior (Swtor) Agent, Warrior, Knight, Inquisitor, Trooper, Consular, Smuggler, Hunter
    Lv60 (NWO) Rogue, Fighter, Wizard, Guardian, Cleric (Rift) Rogue
    Lv80/85 (GW2) Thief (WoW) Rogue, Mage, Priest, Hunter, Warlock, Warrior, Death Knight, Paladin, Druid, Shaman

  6. #26
    Pandaren Monk WarpedAcorn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Greensboro, NC
    Posts
    1,759
    Quote Originally Posted by Dezerte View Post
    I'm finding myself in a similar position, I like the game but the way EA/BioWare has handled it and continue to handle it makes me feel like it would be unethical to support them with my money. I just wish they could do something to restore my trust in them, because I want to play SWTOR without feeling like a dirty muggle.
    This is the boat I'm currently. I actually enjoyed the game. There was room for improvement certainly, but overall I enjoyed the experience. What got me to cancel my sub was the way the people in charge were running the company. Ultimately a loss of faith in the development crew led me to drop my sub. I will not be coming back for the F2P option, and have uninstalled the game from my PC.

  7. #27
    Idk if you want to add it or not but this is a pretty useful tool as well: http://www.swtor-spy.com/guides/swto...lculator/2769/

    Pretty easy to scroll through and see all the things you could get and figure how to spend your coins.

  8. #28
    Titan Kelimbror's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Tír na nÓg
    Posts
    11,815
    Quote Originally Posted by Arlee View Post
    Idk if you want to add it or not but this is a pretty useful tool as well: http://www.swtor-spy.com/guides/swto...lculator/2769/

    Pretty easy to scroll through and see all the things you could get and figure how to spend your coins.
    That's a fantastic site...though it seems some prices were increased from the last time I looked. Here is how depressing the situation looks though:
    Total: 6280

    Price: 45.84$ - 69.78$

    Authorization: Artifact Equipment (Account)
    2700 X
    Unlock: Crew Skill Slot (Account)
    945 X
    Unlock: Additional Quickbar (Account)
    540 X
    Customization Control: Unify Colors (Account)
    775 X
    Access Authorization: Section X
    600 X
    Crime Lord's Cartel Pack
    360 X
    Crime Lord's Cartel Pack
    360 X

    Compared to one character:
    Total: 3180

    Price: 23.21$ - 35.33$

    Unlock: Additional Quickbar
    250 X
    Customization Control: Unify Colors
    350 X
    Unlock: Crew Skill Slot
    420 X
    Access Authorization: Section X
    600 X
    Authorization: Artifact Equipment
    1200 X
    Crime Lord's Cartel Pack
    360 X

    Though if account wide only applies to 2 characters, as I don't see the option to unlock more character slots, it's not a value at all. It's almost exactly double the price or more in some cases. There's seriously no way to make it better other than to subscribe and never use unlocks at all.
    Last edited by Kelimbror; 2012-11-14 at 03:41 PM.

  9. #29
    I think i am going to spend all of my coins on Cartel Packs.
    WoW having more subs than SWTOR is the same thing as Justin Bieber having more youtube plays than Tupac. Just because its more popular doesn't mean its good.

    Warcraft Lore has gone from one of the most vast and interesting stories in all of gaming to a bad Thrall Fanfic by Chris Metzen.

  10. #30
    Quote Originally Posted by Kittyvicious View Post
    That's a fantastic site...though it seems some prices were increased from the last time I looked. Here is how depressing the situation looks though:
    *snip*
    To be fair, you neither need access to section X, or the cosmetics of unify colors, or the crime lords cartel packs.

    ---------- Post added 2012-11-14 at 03:42 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by iceberg265 View Post
    I think i am going to spend all of my coins on Cartel Packs.
    Yes. We get it. You are a subscriber. You tell us in every other post.
    Lv40 (Firefall) Dragonfly, Mammoth, Nighthawk, Arsenal
    Lv50 (FF14) Paladin, Warrior (Swtor) Agent, Warrior, Knight, Inquisitor, Trooper, Consular, Smuggler, Hunter
    Lv60 (NWO) Rogue, Fighter, Wizard, Guardian, Cleric (Rift) Rogue
    Lv80/85 (GW2) Thief (WoW) Rogue, Mage, Priest, Hunter, Warlock, Warrior, Death Knight, Paladin, Druid, Shaman

  11. #31
    Dreadlord teebo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Towson, MD
    Posts
    910
    I bought the game on release and level a character to 25,10 and 10. Will I be able to use the f2p?
    "Let me answer your question with another, How would you feel if you found out you were a potato?"

    Nintendo Friend Code 1049-0261-4082 Pokemon Name - Max

  12. #32
    Titan Kelimbror's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Tír na nÓg
    Posts
    11,815
    Quote Originally Posted by hk-51 View Post
    To be fair, you neither need access to section X, or the cosmetics of unify colors, or the crime lords cartel packs.
    I only included those things because a majority of people will find them important. The new area for players that left after black hole, no one wants to look like a space clown, and just to have one new fluff item. It seemed like a good sampling of how people would want to spend their money, because no one is going to enjoy a bare bones experience at all.

    And this is just money to get in and fool around, not even counting raids/pvp

    You are really looking at a 2-3 months sub up front just to try out the game properly. It would behoove everyone to give in and give them one month of $15 to really try it out.

  13. #33
    Quote Originally Posted by teebo View Post
    I bought the game on release and level a character to 25,10 and 10. Will I be able to use the f2p?
    Yes.

    +10char
    Lv40 (Firefall) Dragonfly, Mammoth, Nighthawk, Arsenal
    Lv50 (FF14) Paladin, Warrior (Swtor) Agent, Warrior, Knight, Inquisitor, Trooper, Consular, Smuggler, Hunter
    Lv60 (NWO) Rogue, Fighter, Wizard, Guardian, Cleric (Rift) Rogue
    Lv80/85 (GW2) Thief (WoW) Rogue, Mage, Priest, Hunter, Warlock, Warrior, Death Knight, Paladin, Druid, Shaman

  14. #34
    Quote Originally Posted by hk-51 View Post
    Yes. We get it. You are a subscriber. You tell us in every other post.
    I could say the same to you and Kitty. Yes, we get it, you are upset. You tell us in every post.
    WoW having more subs than SWTOR is the same thing as Justin Bieber having more youtube plays than Tupac. Just because its more popular doesn't mean its good.

    Warcraft Lore has gone from one of the most vast and interesting stories in all of gaming to a bad Thrall Fanfic by Chris Metzen.

  15. #35
    Quote Originally Posted by iceberg265 View Post
    I could say the same to you and Kitty. Yes, we get it, you are upset. You tell us in every post.
    I also say how optimistic I am. I also have suggestions. You seem to just pop in and let us know you are a subscriber.
    Lv40 (Firefall) Dragonfly, Mammoth, Nighthawk, Arsenal
    Lv50 (FF14) Paladin, Warrior (Swtor) Agent, Warrior, Knight, Inquisitor, Trooper, Consular, Smuggler, Hunter
    Lv60 (NWO) Rogue, Fighter, Wizard, Guardian, Cleric (Rift) Rogue
    Lv80/85 (GW2) Thief (WoW) Rogue, Mage, Priest, Hunter, Warlock, Warrior, Death Knight, Paladin, Druid, Shaman

  16. #36
    Honestly? I don't check this forum very much anymore, because people like Kitty and the trolls from other games ruined it for me. There's just too much negativity, so when I actually do bother to come check out the forum, I like to try to inspire some positivity.
    WoW having more subs than SWTOR is the same thing as Justin Bieber having more youtube plays than Tupac. Just because its more popular doesn't mean its good.

    Warcraft Lore has gone from one of the most vast and interesting stories in all of gaming to a bad Thrall Fanfic by Chris Metzen.

  17. #37
    Dreadlord teebo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Towson, MD
    Posts
    910
    Quote Originally Posted by hk-51 View Post
    Yes.

    +10char
    Would there be any benefit if I subed today just for one month then went f2p? I didnt see anything on the site.
    "Let me answer your question with another, How would you feel if you found out you were a potato?"

    Nintendo Friend Code 1049-0261-4082 Pokemon Name - Max

  18. #38
    Quote Originally Posted by teebo View Post
    Would there be any benefit if I subed today just for one month then went f2p? I didnt see anything on the site.
    You would get preferred status and some free coins.
    WoW having more subs than SWTOR is the same thing as Justin Bieber having more youtube plays than Tupac. Just because its more popular doesn't mean its good.

    Warcraft Lore has gone from one of the most vast and interesting stories in all of gaming to a bad Thrall Fanfic by Chris Metzen.

  19. #39
    Quote Originally Posted by iceberg265 View Post
    Honestly? I don't check this forum very much anymore, because people like Kitty and the trolls from other games ruined it for me. There's just too much negativity, so when I actually do bother to come check out the forum, I like to try to inspire some positivity.
    Okay, there are less awkward ways to do it.

    For example, this is a thread about making the best of a f2p account. Instead of like... I don't even know. Its not even derailing.

    I would have said something like, "Its really great that swtor is increasing its payment options to allow people to choose the content they want to play." or "I think it's great how they are letting people experience the story." Something about the model in a positive light.

    And I realize you didn't out right say "I am a subscriber." but the subtext was clear.

    I, personally, am hoping that this brings swtor up to 750k active players / subscribers. I feel like that's a number that will convince EA to continue to put money into swtor.

    Which is why I made this thread. To combat negativity. People need to understand how viable F2P for swtor can be.

    The fact is, you can access a lot of swtor without a subscription for very little money. That's a great thing because there were a lot of people who viewed it as being worth less than 15 a month. With this, you can get like 6 months of constant pvp or pve for 40 dollars. Or, if you are like me and have weeks where you can't play at all, you save money. I can probably invest about half my weekends to swtor. So I might get almost a year out of that 40 dollars.

    That is awesome.

    It is awesome that swtor is taking this route for the people who are too busy to pay a subscription. (Yes, I do have a rift account but it has like half a year for free due to RAF. So I don't pay for that monthly.)

    There, is that positive enough for you?
    Lv40 (Firefall) Dragonfly, Mammoth, Nighthawk, Arsenal
    Lv50 (FF14) Paladin, Warrior (Swtor) Agent, Warrior, Knight, Inquisitor, Trooper, Consular, Smuggler, Hunter
    Lv60 (NWO) Rogue, Fighter, Wizard, Guardian, Cleric (Rift) Rogue
    Lv80/85 (GW2) Thief (WoW) Rogue, Mage, Priest, Hunter, Warlock, Warrior, Death Knight, Paladin, Druid, Shaman

  20. #40
    Ahmg let's not start bickering again please. And no I don't care who started it, I'll turn this car around and then no one will get to ride on the roller coaster!

    OT:
    Quote Originally Posted by Kittyvicious View Post
    Though if account wide only applies to 2 characters, as I don't see the option to unlock more character slots, it's not a value at all. It's almost exactly double the price or more in some cases. There's seriously no way to make it better other than to subscribe and never use unlocks at all.
    Yea, I don't think they ever said you'd be able to unlock more character slots but I know a lot of us hoped you would be able to. It's sort of funny though. Say you are a F2P and want a third character but you can't so you sub and BOOM you now have 16 character slots.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •