Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by iceberg265 View Post
    Honestly? I don't check this forum very much anymore, because people like Kitty and the trolls from other games ruined it for me. There's just too much negativity, so when I actually do bother to come check out the forum, I like to try to inspire some positivity.
    The fact that you are calling me a troll belies your lack of knowledge of these forums and general inability to have a normal conversation. Your signature is ironic. I'm sorry that I'm not Mary Poppins with a spoonful of sugar to shove down everyone's throat to help the medicine go down. I call it like I see it and relent when the situation proves to be otherwise.

I'm sure you'll see me on here saying how much I missed the game this weekend when I probably go against my better judgment and resub so I can tracer some faces off again. Just don't hold your breath for me to be your happy ray of sunshine. I've always stood by the game being great, unsubbed when there wasn't content to hold my money, and highly criticized the whole F2P fiasco. I'm not proclaiming that this a pile of trash or wishing for its doom. Please grow up.

---------- Post added 2012-11-14 at 11:20 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Arlee View Post
    Ahmg let's not start bickering again please. And no I don't care who started it, I'll turn this car around and then no one will get to ride on the roller coaster!
    Should have refreshed before I posted. Please don't stop the car Mom. I'm just not going to take being publicly insulted, but I will be quiet about the issue now.

50 cents a day is really expensive ... so is filling up my gas tank every week or two for $60, buying a 'value' meal for my wife and I for $12 at a drive-through, or her a expensive-as-hell coffee from starbucks for $4+. Been to the movies lately? Try getting anything to eat/drink as a couple and walking out of there without spending $50.

I'd say the sub fee is pretty damn cheap ... and if you are trying to get it for 'free', you deserve to pay out the ass for everything. $15 today is nothing. Most people pay to unlock online play on 360. People paid $10 for phantasy star universe online play, and it isn't an 'MMO'.

I am happy they did this, because when people start enjoying the story, and wanting stuff, they either pay for cartel coins, or a sub, thus bringing in revenue to support the game development.

If you don't like this model, go play WoW/Rift F2P (to level 20), or EQ2 F2P ... yeah, everything you can play for free, has massive restrictions, and you have to pay to enjoy the content to its fullest. At least you can play any class/spec to 50, see the entire story. Can't play any class with the free EQ2, can't level past 20 on the 2 big competitors. And cash shops are there for the other games as well. pets and mounts aren't cheap for wow. Tera is starting to sell a lot. Rift is starting to sell stuff. The nickel and diming on EQ2 is pretty bad too.

I think this F2P is great. I HATE EA. hate them. But all the companies are evil to some extent. They are all trying to make a profit. They are all businesses. I understand. If I had a product, I'd be pissed if everyone wanted everything for free, and bitched when I charged for it. At least we don't have IN-Game advertisements. Banners across the screen, and ads all over the place, you know, like any website, or like free smartphone apps ... you know, complete a story quest and then have a pop up of a video of 'Asshole Politician' talking shit for 30 seconds before you can get back to your game.

But, you can't please everyone all the time, and you can almost never please people that want everything for free.

Yea, I don't think they ever said you'd be able to unlock more character slots but I know a lot of us hoped you would be able to. It's sort of funny though. Say you are a F2P and want a third character but you can't so you sub and BOOM you now have 16 character slots.
    Not to mention the huge waste of cash unlocking things only to realize you want a third character thus have to subscribe.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zeropeorth View Post
    50 cents a day is really expensive ... so is filling up my gas tank every week or two for $60, buying a 'value' meal for my wife and I for $12 at a drive-through, or her a expensive-as-hell coffee from starbucks for $4+. Been to the movies lately? Try getting anything to eat/drink as a couple and walking out of there without spending $50.
    This is probably one of the greatest arguments why actual F2P games are enjoying high levels of success. You are trying to use it for the opposite purpose and it doesn't work.

I'd say the sub fee is pretty damn cheap ... and if you are trying to get it for 'free', you deserve to pay out the ass for everything. $15 today is nothing. Most people pay to unlock online play on 360. People paid $10 for phantasy star universe online play, and it isn't an 'MMO'.
    This is all relative. Of course it's 'cheap'. Is it a higher value than other offerings of equal or lesser cost? Most people think not, which is why they left the game and it doesn't have 2 million subs now.

I am happy they did this, because when people start enjoying the story, and wanting stuff, they either pay for cartel coins, or a sub, thus bringing in revenue to support the game development.
    I'm not sure what magic you want to happen development wise, they already had anywhere from 100 Million to 500 Million to develop the game. We didn't really get much from that. Why is this going to be different?

If you don't like this model, go play WoW/Rift F2P (to level 20), or EQ2 F2P ... yeah, everything you can play for free, has massive restrictions, and you have to pay to enjoy the content to its fullest. At least you can play any class/spec to 50, see the entire story. Can't play any class with the free EQ2, can't level past 20 on the 2 big competitors. And cash shops are there for the other games as well. pets and mounts aren't cheap for wow. Tera is starting to sell a lot. Rift is starting to sell stuff. The nickel and diming on EQ2 is pretty bad too.
    You can only play 2 classes, since you only get two character slots. The other games you reference are literal trials that give you more than this entire 'F2P' does. You should be talking about actual F2P games like LotRO, LoL, etc...which give you a lot more bang for a lesser buck.

But, you can't please everyone all the time, and you can almost never please people that want everything for free.
    The problem is that they aren't trying to please anyone. They are trying to trick/strong arm anyone who will give them more money into it. The only people they want to be pleased are current subscribers, because if they lose any of them they will go under. I'm not arguing that they shouldn't be doing that, but let's not even pretend they are trying to please anyone else. They are simply going for gold, if you will.

---------- Post added 2012-11-14 at 12:06 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Alyssa View Post
    Not to mention the huge waste of cash unlocking things only to realize you want a third character thus have to subscribe.
    Then you get everything you paid for already for 'free' all over again!

Deleted
    It's just insane, if you want to play SWTOR F2p at least halfway decent, you have du pay the full price of a new game...

That's just ridicculous

Quote Originally Posted by hk-51 View Post
    Authorization: Artifact Equipment 1200 per character, 2700 for entire account
    Note: This allows you to wear epics. Epic gear really starts at 48. You will not be able to do much at 50 without this perk. This is one you might want to purchase per character. The cost is that of three characters + 100 coins. EA knew this is an important unlock and is charging you a lot for it. Furthermore, this unlock applies to "story and pvp gear". Which most likely means Rakata (story mode gear) and PVP gear. Meaning that PVPers will probably get better mileage out of this purchase.

Oh, wow.

That is absolutely disgusting.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Corros View Post
    It's just insane, if you want to play SWTOR F2p at least halfway decent, you have du pay the full price of a new game...

That's just ridicculous
    It's why a lot of people would prefer that EA call this an extended free trial, instead of Free to Play. Unfortunately a Free Trial isn't marketable so they went with calling it something that it isn't instead.

you are trying to get it for 'free', you deserve to pay out the ass for everything.
    Who are you talking too?
    (Warframe) - Dragon & Typhoon-
    (Neverwinter) - Trickster Rogue & Guardian Fighter -

Ahmg let's not start bickering again please. And no I don't care who started it, I'll turn this car around and then no one will get to ride on the roller coaster!

OT:

Yea, I don't think they ever said you'd be able to unlock more character slots but I know a lot of us hoped you would be able to. It's sort of funny though. Say you are a F2P and want a third character but you can't so you sub and BOOM you now have 16 character slots.
    We can get 16 slots now? It's not 12? Oh joy! ^_^

Best news in a long time. And yeah, still think the best use for the cartel coins is the stupid pack... Which is a pity. I simply have too many alts and like to do too many different things for the unlocks to compensate... *sulk*

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Snorkle View Post

Best news in a long time. And yeah, still think the best use for the cartel coins is the stupid pack... Which is a pity. I simply have too many alts and like to do too many different things for the unlocks to compensate... *sulk*
    Well as long as the drop rate in the packs aren't nerfed to oblivion at a cheap effort to rob you, they have really exciting stuff inside them.

Quote Originally Posted by Snorkle View Post

I think it's 16... now I am second guessing myself though lol... /leaves to trowel through swtor's site

So what are the important unlocks for swtor?

Authorization: Artifact Equipment 1200 per character, 2700 for entire account
    Note: This allows you to wear epics. Epic gear really starts at 48. You will not be able to do much at 50 without this perk. This is one you might want to purchase per character. The cost is that of three characters + 100 coins. EA knew this is an important unlock and is charging you a lot for it. Furthermore, this unlock applies to "story and pvp gear". Which most likely means Rakata (story mode gear) and PVP gear. Meaning that PVPers will probably get better mileage out of this purchase.
    Your math is way off here. 1200x3 + 100 = 3700, not 2700. In every case, the price of buying something for the whole account is approximately 2.25 times the price of buying it for one character.

Bloodsail Admiral Lethey Alexandros's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    So SWTOR could not keep people playing by chargeing them a monthly fee and offering them access to everything in the game for that 15 dollars a month, now I have to buy access to nearly every feature in the game on their new model?...lame

Quote Originally Posted by gamz247 View Post
    Your math is way off here. 1200x3 + 100 = 3700, not 2700. In every case, the price of buying something for the whole account is approximately 2.25 times the price of buying it for one character.
    Thanks, fixed.

Quote Originally Posted by Rivyr View Post
    So SWTOR could not keep people playing by chargeing them a monthly fee and offering them access to everything in the game for that 15 dollars a month, now I have to buy access to nearly every feature in the game on their new model?...lame
    Technically no you do not have to buy anything. Most people will want to though.

---------- Post added 2012-11-14 at 01:59 PM ----------

And yea it looks like I was mistaken about the 16 character slots thing, not sure where I got that from ><

Originally Posted by SWTOR
    Ripster: There is a welcome screen that lists a benefit of subscribing as 10 additional slots. Will this mean subscribers will have 22 or that F2P will have 2?

Blaine: Great question and we want to make sure we’re clear on this one. Subscribers will still have 12 character slots available on a single server. F2P players will have 2 (as will Preferred). At Launch, we are not enforcing the penalty on subscribers who convert to Free-to-Play, but we will in a subsequent patch. A further wrinkle is that if you have more than two and you delete characters at Launch, you will not get that slot back. Example: I have 10 characters as a subscriber this November, but in December I cancel my subscription. When I login, I can still use all 10 characters (for now), but I cannot create new ones and if I delete one, I will have 9 and not be able to create another until I go down to 1. Make sense?

(Source)

Quote Originally Posted by RadasNoir View Post
    (especially the really small stuff like the option to hide your helmet...really, Bioware?)
    Holy crap that's pathetic, but hilarious at the same time. Hahaha.

Quote Originally Posted by Hayro1 View Post
    Holy crap that's pathetic, but hilarious at the same time. Hahaha.
    Its not a perfect model but its better than nothing.

Hopefully they can populate their cash shop with real f2p items/features so they can remove the silly crap.

And I think they will.

10+ Year Old Account
    And yea it looks like I was mistaken about the 16 character slots thing, not sure where I got that from ><
    You know...this more than anything will discourage people from playing this game who want to 'for the story'. I hate to be overly negative, but this is like the biggest bullshit to everyone saying they are letting you see the 'whole story' for free. No they aren't, they are letting you see 2/8ths of the story for free, with heavy penalties during that experience.

Not letting preferred status have more than 2 characters is a huge mistake imo. I understand F2P and the possibility it is for stopping spammers/botters, but for preferred this is silly.

Deleted
    I think it's 16... now I am second guessing myself though lol... /leaves to trowel through swtor's site
    I think it's 12. 16 for people who had more than 12 chars on one server after the mergers. I certainly have 12 slots.

Its not a perfect model but its better than nothing.
    Not even close, at least with "options" like the hide helmet one. It's quite sad they're so INCREDIBLY greedy they charge you to.......hide your helmet. Come on.