Thread: Disc Set Pieces

Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Disc Set Pieces

Now as Holy I would definitely go for the 4 set and drop the legs for Heroic Stone Guard legs.

However as Disc, I don't really see the point. 4 seconds off penance? I'm considering going for the chest and gloves with crit on them, instead of the tier pieces with haste (gloves don't even have a socket either). I'd still get 2 set just because the shoulders and helm are spirit + mastery, but that seems pretty useless as well.

CD off Penance is going to be more valuable than a couple of stats. You probably should be using Penance more often if you think it's not valuable. Glyphed Penance is amazing on so many fights.
    Pixl Returned! Holy Priest

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dorfie View Post
    Now as Holy I would definitely go for the 4 set and drop the legs for Heroic Stone Guard legs.

However as Disc, I don't really see the point. 4 seconds off penance? I'm considering going for the chest and gloves with crit on them, instead of the tier pieces with haste (gloves don't even have a socket either). I'd still get 2 set just because the shoulders and helm are spirit + mastery, but that seems pretty useless as well.
    Depends on role - raid or tank healing.

If you're heavily tank healing (Will / Spirit Kings (only fights I've seen with heavy tank damage)) OR the fight has random single target damage with little AoE damage then I'd say it was useful, otherwise it's pretty trash (imo), PoH is just too strong to not use in its current state.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by danmofo View Post
    Depends on role - raid or tank healing.

If you're heavily tank healing (Will / Spirit Kings (only fights I've seen with heavy tank damage)) OR the fight has random single target damage with little AoE damage then I'd say it was useful, otherwise it's pretty trash (imo), PoH is just too strong to not use in its current state.
    Using penance offensively is very effective for getting evangelism and this lets you do that even faster which benefits pure raid healing. I can only see not wanting this 4p if your role is a pure raid healing poh bot to keep absorb buffers up.

Even if you're raid healing it is very valuable. 4 second cool down reduction = quicker evangelism, which in turn will pretty much mean that it is easier for you to use Archangel on cool down (rather than an annoying hassle on fights where there is so much AOE healing to be done you really do not get downtime) and be able to do more in between. Smiting may even be a thing of the past if you prefer not to smite in between and use actual heals as a filler.

With the 4PC, using Holy Fire + Penance offensively, it will take about 12 seconds to get 5 stacks of Evangelism.
    Without 4 PC, using Holy Fire + Penance offensively, it will take about 22 seconds to get 5 stacks.
    This is if you do not wish to use Smite as a filler and would rather be doing something else.

Even then, using smite;
    Without 4PC, using Holy Fire + Penance offensively and smite filler (depending on your Haste level which should be relatively low, 1.5 seconds for example), it will be about 9 seconds of cast time, meaning, with only a 3 second difference, the 4 PC is a great option to keep tabs on Archangel much more easily.

(This is all overall time, not spamming like a crazy maniac to get your 5 stacks off the bat, but to just use it at your leisure within the 30 seconds of the next Archangel. The math is also just a rough estimate, as everyone has different haste values, latency, use of BT, etc, but it is just to give an overall idea of how valuable the 4PC will be).

In the end, a few hundred stat will not really make a difference of being able to free heal more often because you're not tied down to making Evangelism stacks.

Also, in regards to what pieces to go, I believe that going the off piece gloves will be our best option, resulting in only one piece having haste on it (our chest). I see a lot of people saying go the Jade Dust Leggings because of an extra socket and spirit, but I don't think spirit not being on one piece of gear will be detrimental when the stats on both tier and Jade pants are good for us. The gloves off of Imperial Vizier, Gloves of Grasping Claws, which have spirit, crit and a blue socket, (which make up for the extra socket the Jade Dust pants give) give us a stat over the haste on our tier gloves which we actually need. But again, these are my two cents.
    Last edited by Corpseflower; 2012-11-15 at 04:18 AM.

So I clicked on this thread thinking it was going to be about whether it's better to go for the 502 offset legs or the 509 non-spirit legs and an offset piece in another slot.

I didn't realize that, given secondary stat homogenization, people still somehow think that skipping set bonuses can be a net gain. I mean, what is the argument there? "Some random spreadsheet values crit at .58 and mastery at .59, so should I skip a set bonus that provides otherwise unavailable buffs to my most used spells?"

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Penance is not my "most used spell", so this "otherwise unavailable buff" is not really all that important. I'll probably consider 4 piece, but mostly due to fact that I also play Holy. Penance? While not all that bad set bonus, it just doesn't compare to -4 second of instant aoe heal... Frankly, I'm not sure what would be comparable for Disc, seeing how those spells serve two entirely different purposes.

Also, without set bonuses, stats aren't really all that impressive so far, so they're just sitting in the bags.

Deleted
    I almost never use Penance. I usually don't even have much more than 10 ticks on any fight and I'm 10% above every other healer in the raid and very high in the rankings.
    I'd say that using Penance is only viable if you're going to move and I don't think that you should be using it that often.

Quote Originally Posted by Zelos View Post
    I almost never use Penance. I usually don't even have much more than 10 ticks on any fight and I'm 10% above every other healer in the raid and very high in the rankings.
    I'd say that using Penance is only viable if you're going to move and I don't think that you should be using it that often.
    You aren't a very good priest if you honestly play that way, and I feel bad for your raid.

Penance absolutely shoud be used as much as possible =/

However as Disc,

I don't really see the point.

4 seconds off penance?

that seems pretty useless as well.
    make me unsee it.
    AA? Aegis stacking? DI abusing? Glyphing penance? Nothing to care about?

Quote Originally Posted by Minoan View Post
    make me unsee it.
    AA? Aegis stacking? DI abusing? Glyphing penance? Nothing to care about?
    Prayer of Healing

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Prayer of Healing
    You increase the healing (in total) prayer of healing can do by using penance offensively into archangel unless you literally don't cast a single other thing than shield for rapture and poh while healing nonstop.
    Last edited by Chimaera; 2012-11-16 at 07:35 AM.

Deleted
    Don't know about you, but I try to use Penance on CD. The only time you shouldn't use Penance on CD is when you're spamming PoH, which due to the nature of the damage on most fights is less than 50% of the time. It's great damage, it's great healing, and very mana efficient. There is no reason not to cast it, I mean what are you casting instead? Heal?

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Halaberiel View Post
    There is no reason not to cast it, I mean what are you casting instead? Heal?
    Prayer of Healing.

Penance is really nice, big single target heal that stacks grace or offensive spell that gains you a stack of evangelism and heals 3 times possibly on 3 different people within 15 yards in a short amount of time. Not to mention it benefits from borrowed time without consuming BT.

Especially for single target its strong given it heals more than greater heal for less mana in a shorter channel.

Once atonement has a 40 yard range there is even more reason to use this.

even if you are wanting to heal multiple targets, just use it offensively. Atonements smart heal targeting system will do a lot of the work to make its use effectively 3 efficient heals on lowest health targets in a shorter amount of time than casting poh. given, poh is a heal on 5 targets but a smart heal on 3 targets (possibly same target) is not something to write off. and if you have 5 stacks of evangelism each heal is going to be bigger than the individual heals from poh.

you should be able to work it into your spell usage and on fights where you are purely spamming poh using the items in the 4 set you probably wouldnt notice much difference from choosing items with "ideal" stats. in the end different fights will call for different styles of healing in a sense, its better to have the 4 set for fights it favors, than to not have it.

Quote Originally Posted by KaPe View Post
    Prayer of Healing.
    I've heard Prayer of Healing might not stack Evangelism, though.

So I've recently started healing on my priest in our 10 man alt run and I can say that I don't penance unless the tank needs it and I tend to use it on the boss, I mean free damage right? But with the 40 yard range on atonement I'm going to be much more inclined to use it.

If every single off piece was spirit/mastery instead of teir, then I would definitely considering no going for the four piece, but considering that's not the case, there's no point in avoiding it.

Also to the post that's mastery is .59 and crit is .56, that's not even close to the difference in stats. I would rank it as Spirit > Mastery > Int > Crit >= Haste considering Mastery is THE best stat for Power Word shield, Prayer of Healing (Including the DA proc'd), and Spirit shell, all of which are on my top 3 heals on every fight.

http://chardev.org/profile/11925-BiS-Disc.html

That's what I plan for my BiS list to be. As you can see, there is enough mastery on the gear to warrant using the four piece and considering there are no other proper items to swap out.
    Soulburn: Unstable Affliction. A boy can dream.

For me in my raid group I choose to go for off pieces as i'm raiding with 2 paladins, another priest and a warlock... I got the worst set bonuses that benefit the group therefore I pass on the tokens

Flash Heals is a gimmick spell for Discs... rarely used.
    And that lower cd on Penance would be great on those 1.5/2.5(10man) healer fights where you only Smite heal... but those tokens are better used elsewhere.

it's funny that we are fighting over penance, a spell we actually use, whereas the real f**k you to disc is the 2piece set bonus.

Quote Originally Posted by basel277 View Post
    it's funny that we are fighting over penance, a spell we actually use, whereas the real f**k you to disc is the 2piece set bonus.
    The two piece bonus is us being able to flash heal and not be taxed if needed. The heal per mana rate for me with Greater heal is 3.4 where as Flash heal is 3.2 with the two piece, meaning that I'm only getting a slightly less heal per mana cost with Flash of Light than with Greater Heal.

And its obvious fantastic for Holy.
    Soulburn: Unstable Affliction. A boy can dream.