Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Safetyoff View Post
    Um yes it was, this is basically the definition of an exploit, the item won't be taken from you, but it will mysteriously turn into what it should have been, an elite normal drop
    It's a bug. An exploit would be intentionally using it for personal/team gain, which he didn't.

Deleted
    Turning it into normal mode gear isn't taking it away, just fixing it to what it should have been.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mihir View Post
    Turning it into normal mode gear isn't taking it away, just fixing it to what it should have been.
    Won't be changed either, it will require them to manually log every character to adjust the ID of the item.

It will be kept like it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Hikashuri View Post
    Won't be changed either, it will require them to manually log every character to adjust the ID of the item.

Yeah, they couldn't possibly run a script to change all the heroic ID's to normal ones. They'd have to do it one by one...

My take on it is that they will move the drops down to normal ones. It wasn't intended that you get heroic stuff so they'll fix it.

Deleted
    Fixed appareantly, we only got normal elite loots from coins.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Deja Thoris View Post
    Yeah, they couldn't possibly run a script to change all the heroic ID's to normal ones. They'd have to do it one by one...

My take on it is that they will move the drops down to normal ones. It wasn't intended that you get heroic stuff so they'll fix it.
    Afaik they have never done such a thing yet, since it's quite complex from their end and their personnel has more important stuff to solve.

they prob wont take it away, but id laugh if they do simply because of everyone bragging about it.

http://www.twitch.tv/hammerpairs 7/7 Mythic EN / 3/3 Mythic ToV / 10/10 Mythic NH / 9/9 Mythic ToS
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBmNLMo4vcI some old school CM fun
    "Your lights will go out. The darkness will envelop you. And you will fear the shadows that move within it."

Quote Originally Posted by Hayro1 View Post
    It is 100% Blizzards' fault, it's not an exploit in any way, it's a pure bug on Blizzard's end - which will be fixed probably tomorrow - and people will keep their gear, just the item changed from Heroic to normal Elite. They will not leave them as Heroic.
    Definition of Exploit: "to take advantage of (a person, situation, etc.)"

How is this relevant? A bug was left in the code and people are taking advantage of it (regardless of whether or not they knew about it previously). It is an exploit, but not one that can or should result in any action from Blizzard other than fixing the bug and possibly converting the loot to what it should have been instead of the heroic version. Before you go spouting off nonsense about whether or not something is an exploit, perhaps you should learn the meaning of the word.

Quote Originally Posted by tibben View Post
    Before you go spouting off nonsense about whether or not something is an exploit, perhaps you should learn the meaning of the word.
    You're daft. It's not an exploit because there's no intent to exploit. There is no choice for anyone to take a Normal Elite version of the item when they roll on it with the coin. The connotation of the word exploit is wholly negative - someone willfully doing something they're not supposed to to circumvent the intent of the game. Please tell me how using a coin is 'doing something they're not supposed to'. Did the players do something negative here?

They can and SHOULD remove the heroic loot from players, and return it to normal. It is unfair to let them keep loot from a fight they never did, or not available to anyone. Mistake or not, reverse their loot, they don't deserve it.

No it won't, and this just proves you know nothing of coding/programming.

---------- Post added 2012-11-14 at 11:29 AM ----------

Definition of Exploit: "to take advantage of (a person, situation, etc.)"
    So wait, you're telling me people are supposed to NOT use their coin roll - which Blizzard themselves implemented - before they even knew about the bug? they used it because it's (supposed to be) Normal Elite gear, they used the roll option Blizzard put in to get better-than-normal gear. It is a pure bug on Blizzards' end, and not an exploit. Please try a bit harder.

A bug was left in the code and people are taking advantage of it (regardless of whether or not they knew about it previously).
    How exactly are people taking advantage of something they knew nothing about? they used what Blizzard gave them, the coin roll, and got something unintended due to a bug.
    Last edited by Hayro1; 2012-11-14 at 08:11 PM.

You must be one hell of a programmer.

Blizzard considers it to be a violation of the Terms of Use if you are found to be "Using or exploiting errors in design, features which have not been documented, and/or "program bugs" to gain access that is otherwise not available, or to obtain a competitive advantage over other players"

So while you may not knowingly have done so, gaining access to an item that is not otherwise available via a program bug is indeed considered to be "exploiting" that bug, as far as they're concerned. Granted, it wasn't done knowingly, so it's probably not actionable, unless they find chat logs of you telling trade chat "Everybody use coins on this fight to get heroic gear!!!" or something.

10+ Year Old Account
    I wouldn't bet on keeping the items "just cause the error's on their side"

Remind me of a certain arena season in BC where a PvP axe had no cost after a patch. Everyone had their weapons removed a few days after.
    That said, yeah - they'll likely just revert them to normal elite.
    Undefined animosity is a device of the spineless, the means of a fool.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Hayro1 View Post
    How exactly are people taking advantage of something they knew nothing about? they used what Blizzard gave them, the coin roll, and got something unintended due to a bug.
    And I'm sure the first time saronite bombs were thrown at the LK there was no ill intent - I doubt if they'd got the kill on the first use of saronite bombs that everyone would have called it fair game "because they didn't know".

I'm not claiming that the OP is in the wrong for using their coin and they should be banned or anything, but I still believe it's an exploit.

The fact of the matter is that there is NO LEGITIMATE WAY that a player can have heroic items at this point, nor is there EVER a way of getting heroic-elite items from a normal-elite encounter.

Considering blizzards main reasoning behind the heavy handed way of dealing with LFR exploits was that "there was no way to ever legitimtely get loot from a raid boss twice in 1 reset", I'd say it justifies fixing and not just leaving as is, though I certainly don't agree with punishing the player in any way more than lowering their item down to the correct level.

As for if it can be called an exploit or a bug, it's purely splitting hairs over semantics.

You can argue it's not an exploit since the OP didn't know it would happen. Entirely true.
    What about someone who had read this thread and did know it would happen? Is it then an exploit for them?
    You can argue that it's purely using ingame mechanics and that the coins are provided by blizzard. Entirely true - but that's not what makes an exploit.
    Saronite bombs are provided by blizzard, using them to respawn Arthas' platform isn't intended behaviour, nor is getting heroic items from a normal encounter.

No one bar blizzard themself is in a position to claim it's an exploit or not, and if anything is a certainty, it's that blizzards definition and reaction are massively unpredictable.

Quote Originally Posted by Nagassh View Post
    That's a bold statement to make on a very shades of grey argument.

I think the most agreeable definition of an explot as you can find is "doing something that results in an outcome that shouldn't happen", there's nothing wrong with using saronite bombs on the LK, but when that results in his platform respawning - it's an exploit.
    I agree. IF you add in "On purpose". Exploting something, per definition, you need to take advantage of stuffs. It should go without saying that you are doing it on purpose and not just stuff that randomly happens.

We call that a bug.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumash View Post
    So my guild just killed protectors on elite mode, and I coined the boss in hopes of that dagger... and I got it! The story doesn't end there however, as when I was equipping it I noticed... IT WAS HEROIC! We killed it on normal ofc, and it gave me heroic loot on the coin. Im pretty stoked about it seeing as its near BiS (not sure if the sha touched wep with a gem beats it out).

What do you think the odds are on me keeping this (not having a GM take it)?

This is my armory if you dont believe me: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...cknez/advanced
    And you have wind song on it? Atrocity!
    "Do you think man will ever walk on the sun? -Ali G

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Khime View Post
    Blizzard considers it to be a violation of the Terms of Use if you are found to be "Using or exploiting errors in design, features which have not been documented, and/or "program bugs" to gain access that is otherwise not available, or to obtain a competitive advantage over other players"

So while you may not knowingly have done so, gaining access to an item that is not otherwise available via a program bug is indeed considered to be "exploiting" that bug, as far as they're concerned. Granted, it wasn't done knowingly, so it's probably not actionable, unless they find chat logs of you telling trade chat "Everybody use coins on this fight to get heroic gear!!!" or something.
    Wrong. Blizzard sees an exploit as something that you need to break about the encounter or game to get an advantage out of it and can repeat it.

Using a coin on a drop isn't an exploit, even if you knew ahead it would give you something that's not supposed to drop.

And that was a reply from a head gm a while ago about something else, since all appeals go through him about exploit contests, he's quite accurate.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    They won't take them away.

The impact is relatively small considering you had to do the elite normal mode, you had to have a coin and you had to get lucky.