1. #1

    Smf vs TG: which abilities hit harder on either specs

    So after 1 month of normal and lfr full clear the 1h axe from elegon finally dropped. Was TG but ofc I'm rolling with smf now.

    Was hoping I can get a list of which abilities hit harder with SMF and it's TG counterpart.
    From what I understand:

    Smf - execute, HS
    TG - whirlwind

    Hopefully someone with more experience with the 2 specs can chime in.

  2. #2
    Mechagnome lordzed83's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    UK Nottingham
    Posts
    567
    Wild strike seems to hit harder in smf to.
    Geme smtn 2 kielllllll.

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Nekked View Post
    Smf - execute, HS
    TG - whirlwind
    This is correct.

    Anything Weapon Damage related will hit harder as Titan's Grip with EQUAL iLvl (IE Starshatter = Elegion or Dubious Handaxe = Goresoaked Headreaper)
    Anything not based on Weapon Damage will hit harder as SMF due to the massive 35% outweighing the tiny AP loss of TG to SMF.

    Example:
    Bladestorm - TG
    Dragon Roar/Shockwave - SMF.
    Execute - SMF.

    Heroic Strike - SMF (Remember it has an extra 30% WpnDmg% mod for 1Handed Weapons.)

    Bloodthirst - TG
    Raging Blow - TG
    Whirlwind - TG

    Wildstrike - ??*(SMF has a modifier for offhand weapon damage bonus ASWELL as the bonus 35%.)
    If anything it'd be about equal for both specs.

  4. #4
    Mechagnome nightguard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    san antonio,tx
    Posts
    625
    Quote Originally Posted by LordSpaztic View Post
    This is correct.

    Anything Weapon Damage related will hit harder as Titan's Grip with EQUAL iLvl (IE Starshatter = Elegion or Dubious Handaxe = Goresoaked Headreaper)
    Anything not based on Weapon Damage will hit harder as SMF due to the massive 35% outweighing the tiny AP loss of TG to SMF.

    Example:
    Bladestorm - TG
    Dragon Roar/Shockwave - SMF.
    Execute - SMF.

    Heroic Strike - SMF (Remember it has an extra 30% WpnDmg% mod for 1Handed Weapons.)

    Bloodthirst - TG
    Raging Blow - TG
    Whirlwind - TG

    Wildstrike - ??*(SMF has a modifier for offhand weapon damage bonus ASWELL as the bonus 35%.)
    If anything it'd be about equal for both specs.
    ....seems like the rotation works better if you're tg still then...but I really don't fully get stat detail :/

  5. #5
    The Patient
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Denmark, Ponyhagen
    Posts
    310
    Quote Originally Posted by nightguard View Post
    ....seems like the rotation works better if you're tg still then...but I really don't fully get stat detail :/
    That is what I figured out aswell.. Especially for burst I find TG doing more damage bacause of the 100% uptime on Raging blow. My dps output is almost equal on the two specs.. but single minded pulls ahead by a tiny bit due to the extra dmg from Heroic Strike, Dragon Roar and Execute.

    Actually playing with the idea of swithcing to 2x2-handers for burst phases and back to 2x1-handers for execute phases and possibly normal rotation...

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Leothas View Post
    That is what I figured out aswell.. Especially for burst I find TG doing more damage bacause of the 100% uptime on Raging blow. My dps output is almost equal on the two specs.. but single minded pulls ahead by a tiny bit due to the extra dmg from Heroic Strike, Dragon Roar and Execute.

    Actually playing with the idea of swithcing to 2x2-handers for burst phases and back to 2x1-handers for execute phases and possibly normal rotation...
    There is a debuff to prevent swapping like that, else everyone would abuse SMF Executes when normally playing TG.
    Also what do you mean with 100% uptime for RB as TG? Uptime doesn't really change that much between SMF and TG.

  7. #7
    SMF : all Dmg increased by 35% and your OH wpn will deal additional 35% Dmg

    I get why execute hits substantially harder (35% to be exact) when smf because it's a flat Dmg and doesn't depend on wpn. However doesn't the 35% increase outweigh the wpn dmg of TG and cause our wpn based abilities to hit for roughly the same?

  8. #8
    The Patient
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Denmark, Ponyhagen
    Posts
    310
    Quote Originally Posted by Yoshitsuna View Post
    There is a debuff to prevent swapping like that, else everyone would abuse SMF Executes when normally playing TG.
    Also what do you mean with 100% uptime for RB as TG? Uptime doesn't really change that much between SMF and TG.
    Well that's kinda stupid? Not the fact that I can't change weapons then, but the fact that I don't get notified by talents or anything so I would know this?

    Anyway.. my Raging Blow hits harder as TG - that's why it makes a difference. and Since I have 100% crit chance with Bloodthirst during burst (recklessness) I will be able to do alot of RB's

    Normal burst charge in/pop cd's - BT > CS > RB > BT > RB > RB > BT > RB > RB > BT > RB > DR > normal rotation (ofcourse HS is beeing done meanwhile as fits)

  9. #9
    There's a cooldown for the effects to kick in for each TG & SMF, which makes it not worth it to switch weapons.
    Bang bang

  10. #10
    According to the sims SMF is 5K dps better than TG, mainly cause execute is getting 35% more damage. I asked ghostcrawler this several times on twitter with no response. I like having a choice, but when two specs are that far apart the choice is taken away when you're doing progression heroic modes.

  11. #11
    I'm only going with SMF due to better weapons. Once elegon drops the 2H I'll most likely be going back to fury.

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by galvin View Post
    According to the sims SMF is 5K dps better than TG, mainly cause execute is getting 35% more damage. I asked ghostcrawler this several times on twitter with no response. I like having a choice, but when two specs are that far apart the choice is taken away when you're doing progression heroic modes.
    didnt they want all specs between 5% of each other? If people pull 100k dps 5k is 5%

  13. #13
    But its fixable, all you need is all abilities based off weapon damage, then TG and SMF should be equal. Unless I'm missing something.
    As gear gets better SMF will keep pulling more ahead cause of the scaling. Eventually blizzard will say its a bug 3 months from now, and everyone will face palm

    Wouldn't call 5K small though. 5% is pretty big now with larger dps numbers.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •