What's the ideal size guild?

Right now I have a level 24 guild with 161 members. 90% are random recruits with anywhere from 5 to 13 online at any given time. I think it's time to recruit some more, but I don't want to go too big. So, what's your opinion on the ideal size guild? What is too big? What is too small?

Quote Originally Posted by dusselldorf View Post
    Right now I have a level 24 guild with 161 members. 90% are random recruits with anywhere from 5 to 13 online at any given time. I think it's time to recruit some more, but I don't want to go too big. So, what's your opinion on the ideal size guild? What is too big? What is too small?
    Heavily dependent on what you do as a guild.

I think we have about 20 individual players in our guild at the moment, anywhere from 0 to 15 on at the same time. I think its a pretty good size, because this way I know every member, and theres usually at least one other person online.
    We don't need more either, considering we raid 10mans.
    Tradushuffle
    <Echoes>
    Laughing Skull-EU

10+ Year Old Account
    It depends, are you a social guild that just likes to hang and just chat with other ppl? are you a social guild but also takes certain schedules to raid/ rbgs/ worldpvp/rp events etc, or are you on a strict progression raiding guild? it really depends on the mindset and destination you want to take your guild.

I would say the ammount of ppl that you have in your guild will somewhat affect what you want to do, because then you''ll have too many bodies for activites that cant support a shit ton of people like 25man raids for example (-if you would be the only raid leader-). So yeah, it depends on what type of guild you are really.
    Last edited by Shampro; 2012-11-14 at 07:13 AM.

I would say the ammount of ppl that you have in your guild will somewhat affect what you want to do
    Last edited by KernWillia; 2012-11-14 at 08:51 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    200-500
    5-20 on at a time.

10+ Year Old Account
    Depends if you want to raid 10 man or 25 man raids or if you want to PvP etc. It's really dependant on your guilds goals.
    Hi

Any number as long as it includes me

10+ Year Old Account
    We have 2 raid teams in ours. So that is about 25 members that are raiders. Then we have about 10/15 people who all used to be raiders and are taking a break from raiding but still play alot (I am one of those). I would say 30/40 players is about the right size for a guild as long as everyone gets along. My ally alt is in a massive guild that has anything upwards of 100 people on at a time and it just feels like you never get to know anyone. Its like trade chat in guild chat. Not very nice. I don't talk to anyone in there but. Its just my one ally to see there side of the quests.
    Aye mate

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'd first split active members from alts.

Have as many alts/no-shows as you like.

I'd say if you can field around 10 active members at most peak hours, and have enough members to do what your goal is (10 raids, 25 raids, rbg, arenas, rp) then you're good.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

10+ Year Old Account
    We're in such a sweet spot. The guild has been around since 2006, and we probably have about 40 active accounts. With everyone's alts and retired oldtimers, there's hundreds of characters in the guild, but we do all know each other. There's usually around 10 people around in the daytime, and 25-30 in the evenings. We have a core raid team of 12 people, and the rest of us do social raids once or twice a week.

I think we've recruited ONE person to the guild since MoP was out - for the raid team. The rest are just there because it's been our home for years. I had a 6 month break when I had a baby, and when I came back I was met by cheerful hellos, and knew pretty much every single person online. I love it!
    When someone asks, “What is best in life?” there’s only one answer: “To crush the newbs, see them driven before me, and read their lamentations on the forums” - Lylirra

Thanks for the feedback guys. By the way, does anyone know of any resource that lists guild sizes?

If it were a level 25 guild, I would prefer there would just be me and my alts in it.

What's the point of playing an mmo then?

I prefer a smaller guild where I can know everyone. I think mine has roughly 20 or so individuals in in, 15 of whom are consistent raiders. We raid 10m exclusively, obviously, and we're quite casual with only a handful of normal bosses down. I stopped really pushing for heroic progression in Cata because my schedule changed, and I really enjoy what my guild is doing now.

It depends on what you're looking for in a guild. Different sizes fit different people and purposes.

Quote Originally Posted by dusselldorf View Post
    Thanks for the feedback guys. By the way, does anyone know of any resource that lists guild sizes?
    http://www.wowprogress.com