1. #1

    Laptop screen types

    Hey guys,

    Thinking about getting a new laptop for when I'm working in the field. I am a geologist so I work out in the bush. Often tenting it up but we have a generator for power etc. I have a stable working area and I won't be carrying it with me all day so I don't need a toughbook or anything like that.

    What kind of screen do I need to be looking at to reduce glare from the sun to a minimum as I will be working outside 24/7. Am open to any suggestions including apple.

    Cheers
    Quote from: Biged781 on May 03, 2010, 08:38:47 am
    You my friend are just short of the sense-of-humor softcap.

  2. #2
    Legendary! Chickat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Orgrimmar
    Posts
    6,731
    whats your budget?
    My Warlords of Draenor Screenshots so far!
    http://imgur.com/a/YCLjL#0
    http://imgur.com/a/2rApO#0

  3. #3
    Herald of the Titans shroudster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    netherlands
    Posts
    2,890
    ips screen from asus works like a charm for that (dunno if they got a laptop with the right specifications for your needs beyond the screen part)
    we need some more things like screen size(also resolution), what programs to run and lets not forget a budget

  4. #4
    you want a bright matte screen in that case. I think lenovo does some pretty sweet matte screens plus their thinkpads are durable.
    "Marketing is what you do when your product is no good."

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Dindrielle View Post
    What kind of screen do I need to be looking at to reduce glare from the sun to a minimum as I will be working outside 24/7. Am open to any suggestions including apple.
    Well, you'd want to avoid Apple, they generally have glossy screens Look for something light and sturdy, with good battery life and a matte screen. I don't think that pure performace matters much to you, reliability and mobility is probably more important. Lenovo might have some interesting models, like the new ThinkPad X1 Carbon

  6. #6
    Budget isn't a big issue, obviously not unlimited but I'll pay for what I need.

    Will be a decent laptop as I build models in the field using drilling results (think similar to AutoCAD in terms of other hardware requirements).

    So anything with an IPS screen should be along the right lines for me?
    Quote from: Biged781 on May 03, 2010, 08:38:47 am
    You my friend are just short of the sense-of-humor softcap.

  7. #7
    The Lightbringer CheezusCrust's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Nuuk, Greenland
    Posts
    3,306
    Yes, you want an IPS screen for your laptop if that's your field of work
    i5-4670k 4.2GHz | AMD R9 280x | 16GB Kingston HyperX | 256GB 840 EVO | Corsair H100i | Noctua IndustialPPC
    ASUS PB298Q 4K | 2x QNIX QH2710 | CM Storm Rapid w/ Reds | Steelseries Rival | Schiit Stack w/ BeyerDynamic DT 990

  8. #8
    The Lightbringer Howard Moon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    LV-426
    Posts
    3,943
    Quote Originally Posted by Dindrielle View Post
    reduce glare from the sun to a minimum as I will be working outside 24/7
    Definitely get a matte screen, then. You'll need to pump up the brightness to the max, but keep in mind that it will cause your battery to drain faster.
    My Gaming Setup | WoW Holy Paladin (retired)

    "This is not a dress. This is a sacred robe of the ancient psychedelic monks."

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Dindrielle View Post
    Budget isn't a big issue, obviously not unlimited but I'll pay for what I need.

    Will be a decent laptop as I build models in the field using drilling results (think similar to AutoCAD in terms of other hardware requirements).

    So anything with an IPS screen should be along the right lines for me?
    Sounds to me like you want a thinkpad.those have IPS outdoor panels that are anti-glare, they've got good bits of processing power for business applications and the ever-popular nipple mouse. they arent very popular around this forum, mainly because they're not good at games. On top of all that they're extremely durable machines.
    "Marketing is what you do when your product is no good."

  10. #10
    Herald of the Titans shroudster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    netherlands
    Posts
    2,890
    Quote Originally Posted by Keller View Post
    Sounds to me like you want a thinkpad.those have IPS outdoor panels that are anti-glare, they've got good bits of processing power for business applications and the ever-popular nipple mouse. they arent very popular around this forum, mainly because they're not good at games. On top of all that they're extremely durable machines.
    links please? can't seem to find them (or don't they have 1920x1080 res?)
    Also with autocad like performance needed im thinking QM and 8gb ram ? (or thinking in overkill here? xD)

  11. #11
    Epic! Tearor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Դժոխք
    Posts
    1,600
    Quote Originally Posted by shroudster View Post
    links please? can't seem to find them (or don't they have 1920x1080 res?)
    Also with autocad like performance needed im thinking QM and 8gb ram ? (or thinking in overkill here? xD)
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...ED&Pagesize=50

    Those are the 15.6 ones, I have a 14 inch 1600x900 res and am very very happy with it.
    About QM or M, I am not too sure if you could profit from the Q(uad Core). Depends on your software, if not, you would go better with a faster cpu without the M.
    No point mentioning these bats, I thought. The poor bastard will see them soon enough.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •