Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ...
4
5
6
7
LastLast
  1. #101
    That's actually what I thought Xavin but I was unable to confirm it

  2. #102
    Titan Kelimbror's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Tír na nÓg
    Posts
    12,281
    Quote Originally Posted by XavinNydek View Post
    The only confirmed information is that F2P/Preferred players don't get rested XP. Any speculation about reduced XP gain is just that, speculation.
    Actually, we have some pretty coherent and definitive statements from the lead that it is not just speculation....though it's ironic because you followed up with:
    Quote Originally Posted by XavinNydek View Post
    If there does end up being XP reduction of some kind, it's certainly not going to be something big like 25-50%.
    Which is not even speculation, but just making up/guessing numbers.

  3. #103
    i dont see how a free game is ever not worth it, especially when it had a price to begin with.

  4. #104
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeek Daniels View Post
    i dont see how a free game is ever not worth it, especially when it had a price to begin with.
    It's a fairly large time investment and a somewhat emotional one as well. Like I said, I'm looking to get back the KOTOR storylines I missed out on. If my experience is going to be severely handicapped by choosing to play F2P, the net result will be several hours spent and an overall feeling of frustration rather than fun.

  5. #105
    Brewmaster Klingers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Parliament of the Daleks
    Posts
    1,328
    Lowering XP for F2P is just stupid... The drag I felt when levelling every one of my alts through the same bloody planets after getting a Jedi Guardian to 50 is what made me unsubscribe about 4 months after the game came out.

    The old XP curve should have been baseline..., with cartel coins to boost it significantly. I would have gladly payed 50 bucks to boost all my characters to 50 so I could just go back and breeze through the class stories without slogging through boring planet missions 4 times per faction.

    Oh well, EA's loss. Not mine.
    Knowledge is power, and power corrupts. So study hard and be evil.

  6. #106
    Quote Originally Posted by Klingers View Post
    Lowering XP for F2P is just stupid... The drag I felt when levelling every one of my alts through the same bloody planets after getting a Jedi Guardian to 50 is what made me unsubscribe about 4 months after the game came out.

    The old XP curve should have been baseline..., with cartel coins to boost it significantly. I would have gladly payed 50 bucks to boost all my characters to 50 so I could just go back and breeze through the class stories without slogging through boring planet missions 4 times per faction.

    Oh well, EA's loss. Not mine.
    Should you come back it's not so bad. With legacy unlocks and xp boosts(soon to flood a GTN near you) it is going to be very quick. I've got 3 50s and 4 alts stalled from 22-26. After I get HK on my marauder its alt time.

  7. #107
    Herald of the Titans Achaman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    pfft as if you care..
    Posts
    2,681
    Quote Originally Posted by Masterpd85 View Post
    The story is fun.

    By lvl 5 my jedi was already getting laid by some female in a village and my lvl 40 sith had already killed half the people she'd talked/quested with till she finally got her a piece of ass.

    **there's more to it that having sex, its just I found it funny that it took 40 lvls to find a flirt option for my sith and then my alt was flirting with a female by lvl 2***
    im a bit worried bout that as i play female chars but i am male myself so romancing a male is going to be awkward..

  8. #108
    Personally i'd say a resounding no.

    You will spend hundreds of hours leveling through content to get the story content thats sparsely spread out over the levels which means real life days of your life repeating the same quests on the same linear one route questing progression to get the odd 20-30 minutes of whats unfortunately sub par bioware storytelling.

    Its not terrible, but for such a large time investment its really not worth the huge drain on your time it is to kill 30 killik or some other quest in the vein of vanilla wow. its just not, the time-reward comparison is heavily skewed and as a free player it will not be time well spent, rather an exercise in grinding.

  9. #109
    Quote Originally Posted by gulder View Post
    If I want to pretend SWTOR is the KOTOR 3+ set of games that I will never get, and play it as a single player RPG, will F2P allow me to do just that? I'm not interested in Warzones, Flashpoints and anything else (I don't understand most of these terms anyway), just the ability to experience the story unhindered.

    Yay or nay?
    yes, yes, oh and 1000 times yes.

    The story is what killed the rest of the game for me. I'm not a star wars fanatic, I like the first 3 movies, never made it all the way through the second set of three.

    The singleplayer story was so amazing once it ended at level 48, it made the rest of the game very hard to play knowing there was no more.

    Just for clarification, I don't read quests, I don't watch cutscenes in any other game, I try in every game but usually a few minutes to an hour in they are just so uninteresting I can't take it. Star Wars definitely got the story right, they should have made it about three times as long for each race, then left out the multiplayer bits.
    Last edited by Dazzy; 2012-11-16 at 11:08 AM.
    Apply blizzards model to any other subscription service,you'd be outraged:
    Netflix adds no new movies for a year, you click a new movie, there's a $5 fee.
    You're in an accident, click your onstar button, but there's an addition $20 fee for them to help.
    You turn on your tv only to find all you get are the infomercial channels. Every other show is pay per view.
    See how dumb that model is?

  10. #110
    Pit Lord HBpapa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Newport Mesa, Ca
    Posts
    2,296
    Wow, I thought they were going to do a straight up copy/paste of DCUO or something like that. I actually liked the PvP a lot more than the PvE and it could have brought me back without as many restrictions in place.

    I still they could have done better by switching over to a B2P model. It'll be interesting to see what kind of conversions they get of people going from F2P to P2P.
    Atheist, anti-theist, pro-gun, pro-Constitution, anti-racism, pro-gay rights, anti-war, anti-corporatism.

  11. #111
    still you guys are lucky

    You get to access fantastic game story and great gameplay (of you enjoy hotkey MMO) for free
    Yes, 2 action bar, no epic gear, limited access to dungeon and market sucks, but still you get to play the game for free.

    2 action bar should be enough to level a character and enjoy the story.


    I wish, i really wish some other MMO would offer the same. In particular, i would love to play The Secret World for free, even with the same restriction.

  12. #112
    The Patient Crysis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Prague, Czech Republic
    Posts
    346
    Quote Originally Posted by Vankrys View Post
    still you guys are lucky

    You get to access fantastic game story and great gameplay (of you enjoy hotkey MMO) for free
    Yes, 2 action bar, no epic gear, limited access to dungeon and market sucks, but still you get to play the game for free.

    2 action bar should be enough to level a character and enjoy the story.


    I wish, i really wish some other MMO would offer the same. In particular, i would love to play The Secret World for free, even with the same restriction.
    2 bars are definitely not enough to level nor enjoy the story

  13. #113
    Quote Originally Posted by Crysis View Post
    2 bars are definitely not enough to level nor enjoy the story
    2 bars is 24 abilities.

    You can get to 50 on that. You could even raid with that. You probably can't pvp with that though.
    Lv40 (Firefall) Dragonfly, Mammoth, Arsenal, Nighthawk, Raptor, Tigerclaw
    Lv50 (FF14) Paladin, Warrior (Swtor) Agent, Warrior, Knight, Inquisitor, Trooper, Consular, Smuggler, Hunter
    Lv60 (NWO) Rogue, Fighter, Wizard, Guardian, Cleric (Rift) Rogue
    Lv80/85 (GW2) Thief (WoW) Rogue, Mage, Priest, Hunter, Warlock, Warrior, Death Knight, Paladin, Druid, Shaman

  14. #114
    Quote Originally Posted by Vankrys View Post
    I wish, i really wish some other MMO would offer the same. In particular, i would love to play The Secret World for free, even with the same restriction.
    Same here! I'm hoping they put out a free trial or something. I'm sick of paying for games that absolutely suck.

    Its nice that Bioware gave the preferred accounts some extra items: Extra inventory slots, 2 cargo hold slots, more credits, 2 out of the 3 crafting professions. For the ones that are truly a new trial though, 1 crafting profession is pretty pointless. What can you craft when you can't even gather items to craft.

    I made an unlimited free trial when they came out (so i have a preferred and a 50 trial, 2 accounts), its going to be painful to level on the trial, and look at the gosh darn awful head gear. I'm going to try and modify the client side so it shows a paperbag on my head instead of the bioware designed armor.

  15. #115
    Quote Originally Posted by hk-51 View Post
    2 bars is 24 abilities.

    You can get to 50 on that. You could even raid with that. You probably can't pvp with that though.
    Yeah you just use 4 skills or so.

    Try not to die 5 times though cause then you're fucked.
    Signature and Avatar by ElyPop

  16. #116
    Here's the thing and I can only speak for the lightsaber wielding classes: Every story except Sith Warrior is crap. Dont expect KOTOR 1 quality ...it is cheesy predictable crappy story telling at its best.

    Apart from that ...if they havent turned down the difficulty of the game during leveling a lot I suppose it will be painful for a newbie.

  17. #117
    Quote Originally Posted by Chisa View Post
    Here's the thing and I can only speak for the lightsaber wielding classes: Every story except Sith Warrior is crap. Dont expect KOTOR 1 quality ...it is cheesy predictable crappy story telling at its best.

    Apart from that ...if they havent turned down the difficulty of the game during leveling a lot I suppose it will be painful for a newbie.
    Imperial Agent isn't half bad. I'd say SW=(or)>IA>BH>SI.

  18. #118
    Quote Originally Posted by Chisa View Post
    Here's the thing and I can only speak for the lightsaber wielding classes: Every story except Sith Warrior is crap. Dont expect KOTOR 1 quality ...it is cheesy predictable crappy story telling at its best.

    Apart from that ...if they havent turned down the difficulty of the game during leveling a lot I suppose it will be painful for a newbie.
    Hey hey, that is your opinion, and luckily, others won't enjoy it. I only disliked my republic commando and my empire sorceror's stories so far. Jedi consular is not spectacular, but decent. Jedi guardian is AWESOME, as is my sith juggernaught. I think those two are my favorites, followed by smuggler.

  19. #119
    Quote Originally Posted by gulder View Post
    It's a fairly large time investment and a somewhat emotional one as well. Like I said, I'm looking to get back the KOTOR storylines I missed out on. If my experience is going to be severely handicapped by choosing to play F2P, the net result will be several hours spent and an overall feeling of frustration rather than fun.
    F2P restrictions doesn't affect the story element if that's what you are interested in. If I would be a new player, the only thing bothering me would be the storage space.

    Quote Originally Posted by Klingers View Post
    Lowering XP for F2P is just stupid... The drag I felt when levelling every one of my alts through the same bloody planets after getting a Jedi Guardian to 50 is what made me unsubscribe about 4 months after the game came out.

    The old XP curve should have been baseline..., with cartel coins to boost it significantly. I would have gladly payed 50 bucks to boost all my characters to 50 so I could just go back and breeze through the class stories without slogging through boring planet missions 4 times per faction.

    Oh well, EA's loss. Not mine.
    First, as a subscriber, you don't have to drag yourselves through all the planet quests...
    Second, F2P is more or less for new player as well as people interested what happened to the game. Now as there nothing really changed for your story, people coming back might check for operations, how their computer is working etc. New people will not have an issue leveling through planets because they never did so before, not seeing the issue here.

    Quote Originally Posted by dope_danny View Post
    Personally i'd say a resounding no.

    You will spend hundreds of hours leveling through content to get the story content thats sparsely spread out over the levels which means real life days of your life repeating the same quests on the same linear one route questing progression to get the odd 20-30 minutes of whats unfortunately sub par bioware storytelling.

    Its not terrible, but for such a large time investment its really not worth the huge drain on your time it is to kill 30 killik or some other quest in the vein of vanilla wow. its just not, the time-reward comparison is heavily skewed and as a free player it will not be time well spent, rather an exercise in grinding.
    I leveled my first char through all the planets, every quest and I didn't feel once like it's a grind. All the "grind" quests are actually done while doing your main quest and are counted as "additional" xp, nothing more. Area quests are more grindy, that's true but they mostly offer a greater reward and are not very common on top of that.

    Quote Originally Posted by hk-51 View Post
    2 bars is 24 abilities.

    You can get to 50 on that. You could even raid with that. You probably can't pvp with that though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xilurm View Post
    Yeah you just use 4 skills or so.

    Try not to die 5 times though cause then you're fucked.
    Having 24 ability slots means that you would use only 4 abilities?... Might make sense to you, doesn't make sense to me. If you check any DPS compendium of any class you'll most likely wound up with not 4 but 6-8 abilities you will use very frequent. Another few abilities you will use situational and some you use specifically only for ae situations. As healer.. you will play as healer and not requiring all abilities but will leave this to your pet which will work faster. As a tank... 2 bars is fully sufficiant leaving you a spot for your medic pack.

    I don't think it's a problem of not being able to play, it's rather an argument for not having to cast your speeder out of the window etc. . Comfort.

    Quote Originally Posted by Chisa View Post
    Here's the thing and I can only speak for the lightsaber wielding classes: Every story except Sith Warrior is crap. Dont expect KOTOR 1 quality ...it is cheesy predictable crappy story telling at its best.

    Apart from that ...if they havent turned down the difficulty of the game during leveling a lot I suppose it will be painful for a newbie.

    For one part.. it's a story. Good or bad is up the the person reading/ experiencing it and while one class holds an advantage over another, they are good stories for a first play through and regarding difficulty, honestly the only difficulty people might experience is their own inability or a bug. You can cure/ move out of circles for a reason... some enemies do have castbars and you do have a interrupt for a reason... I know a lot of people not understanding it but that's how it is. It's not the game.

  20. #120
    Remember that you get 5dungeons and 5 pvp battlegrounds per week as F2P spend them wisely or pay 5bucks for extra dungeons or pvp battleground runs...for a other week.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •