Page 1 of 4
1
2
3
... LastLast
  1. #1
    The Patient Mûe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    GER
    Posts
    228

    Two-Hand Staff users again screwed...

    Hello fellow Mages,

    today i was comparing the two possible legendary stone weapons to each other and noticed, that the 1 Hand combo is defnately stronger.

    http://www.wowhead.com/compare?items...0.4442.0.89882

    We gain a total of 148 int and loose 38 secondary stats for that bargain...

    Total rippoff in my opininion. Its not that i dont like 1 Hand combos... I just like 2 Handers more.

    your Opinion?

  2. #2
    There is always one best weapon and we had a best in slot staff for two whole tiers prior to MoP.
    Why is this surprising?

  3. #3
    I didn't realize there were one-handed staves.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by PetersenIII View Post
    I didn't realize there were one-handed staves.
    It seems you never paid much attention to Vanilla. :P

    (http://www.wowhead.com/item=12471#screenshots, for example.)

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Sithnian View Post
    It seems you never paid much attention to Vanilla. :P

    (http://www.wowhead.com/item=12471#screenshots, for example.)
    You do know what that is, right?

  6. #6
    Moderator Shangalar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Rijeka, Croatia
    Posts
    1,923
    Let's try to be constructive in this thread please.

    The OP actually raises a valid point - there is a MH+OH combination which is superior to a staff in the same tier and I agree that given the options, theyv should be close enough in power for the difference to be ignorable if the person wishes to use either. While 150 Intellect is not a major tragedy should someone opt for the staff, the min-maxers will never settle for it.

    I'm always pro-choice

  7. #7
    I like choice of weapons but having an identical MH/OH pair and a staff is something that Blizzard do not itemise for, it has never happened in the past either.
    Would they have to make sure melee players have a choice of Maxe/Axe/Sword too? That would bloat drop tables to a ridiculous degree.

  8. #8
    Pandaren Monk Mnevis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Buckeye State
    Posts
    1,809
    It's a 0.3% difference in total dps, according to my lock's sims.

    Thoughts? If you like the staff better, and aren't playing absolutely perfectly with tiny lag, the best food, racials, and professions, fighting for world or server firsts, use the staff, you'll never notice the difference.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Mnevis View Post
    you'll never notice the difference.
    But knowing that there is in fact a difference doesn't go over well for some people.
    As Shangalar said, min-maxers will always choose the higher stats, even if it's 150 int. Heck, even 25 int is a big deal to some people, as in food buffs.
    Last edited by chrisnumbers; 2012-11-15 at 05:31 AM.

  10. #10
    The Patient Mûe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    GER
    Posts
    228
    It was not my point that they have never be the same. Its my point that they want to give us in option but there is none...

    Lets see: Why would I pick the 2 Hand Sha Staff...

    Mage: 1 Hand-Offhand Combo is stronger
    Warlock: 1 Hand-Offhand Combo stronger
    Ele Schaman: Hybrid 1 Hand (Boss 6 HoF) Offhand Combo is better
    Schadow Priest: Hybrid 1 Hand (Boss 6 HoF) Offhand Combo is better
    Moonkin:Hybrid 1 Hand (Boss 6 HoF) Offhand Combo is better


    Heal:

    Pala: Hybrid 1 Hand (Boss 6 HoF) Offhand Combo is better
    Druid: Hybrid 1 Hand (Boss 6 HoF) Offhand Combo is better
    Priest: Hybrid 1 Hand (Boss 6 HoF) Offhand Combo is better
    Schaman: Hybrid 1 Hand (Boss 6 HoF) Offhand Combo is better

    I really don't see a reason to pick the Two Hand staff.... Why was it even made?

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Mûe View Post

    I really don't see a reason to pick the Two Hand staff.... Why was it even made?
    It's made for those people that don't care about that 0.25% damage increase.
    Because it's an insignificant difference.
    There are people like that, and they arent bad, because take two people of equal skill, the crit/proc RNG is going to see who's top, not a 0.25% difference.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bahumut5
    I don't want to call Boubouille and wake her up for something like this.

  12. #12
    I am Murloc! Thelxi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    5,410
    What about future tiers if we are able to turn the sha touched weapons into legendaries, wouldn't everybody prefer a 2handed legendary's stat budget over a 1handed legendary+regular OH?

  13. #13
    Moderator Shangalar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Rijeka, Croatia
    Posts
    1,923
    Quote Originally Posted by Thelxi View Post
    What about future tiers if we are able to turn the sha touched weapons into legendaries, wouldn't everybody prefer a 2handed legendary's stat budget over a 1handed legendary+regular OH?
    I sincerely doubt that will be the case, but if it does, I am pretty sure it will be balanced through procs or proc chances. Also, to the OP, it's important to calculate personal stat weights based on sims when choosing a weapon.

  14. #14
    1 thing to take into consideration(and prolly why this is happening).. Is that its is much harder to get mainhand+offhand combo of certain level than 1 staff, also with item upgrade system that is coming you need to upgrade 2 items rather than 1 item as it is with a staff + blizz has stated it many times over the years, they do not consider balance on full BiS levels to be of great importance, rather the balance before it when you are trying to get the bosses down that drop the items we are now debating on.

  15. #15
    mrgreenthump Got a good point. Also remember the staff is a heavy upgrade from elegon wand+476craft/Hof offhand. And loot Rng might not be with you for the sword for a long time while your raid might see 4 staffs the first 2 weeks. as Mr. green said the first weeks are were you need them the most.

    Quote Originally Posted by Shangalar View Post
    I sincerely doubt that will be the case, but if it does, I am pretty sure it will be balanced through procs or proc chances. Also, to the OP, it's important to calculate personal stat weights based on sims when choosing a weapon.
    while i would normally agree on doing personal simc's i am quite sure every one can agree 148int > 38crit :P
    Last edited by stX3; 2012-11-15 at 09:24 AM.

  16. #16
    The Patient Mûe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    GER
    Posts
    228
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaoslux View Post
    It's made for those people that don't care about that 0.25% damage increase.
    Because it's an insignificant difference.
    There are people like that, and they arent bad, because take two people of equal skill, the crit/proc RNG is going to see who's top, not a 0.25% difference.
    Mhm, i think your opinion is valid. The thing i disagree is that i think it makes a clear difference. You are right that after a couple of phases it will be hard to find a good offhand. On the other hand. I like two hand staffs, i like the looks and stuff.

    Its not the problem that I wouldnt get the 1Hand combo or the staff... ill get both anyway.

    But if you raid in a situation where every little bit of stats matter ( I only raid 2 Day's for 7 hours a week) because I dont have the time to do more. The skill on the other hand is something else. So for me and my raid every tiny improvement matters... I dont have the fortune of spending 16 hours a day like BL or someone else to raid like a zombie...

  17. #17
    You can say "every little bit of stats matter" but I am going to guarantee you are pretty much never going to find yourself in a situation in your 2 day raiding guild where a 0.3% increase in your DPS makes any difference.

    The reason you will fail at enrage timers in this tier is because people have messed up and died, if everyone's alive and has been pre-potting and doing their rotation and other boss mechanics correctly then it will not be a problem.

    I'm also still failing to see why it existing is a problem. Are you seriously asking why weapons that are not BiS are put into the game?
    Why does the Amber Scalpel exist then? Why does Elegon's wand exist? They're not BiS either.

    And anyway the staff looks boring as hell, whereas the sword is one of the coolest sword models we can get

  18. #18
    I'd take the staff because its one item, I dont haev to worry about getting a MH and having no equivalent OH to go with it. Dont have to pay for offhand enchants, cool transmog options.

    As Imnick and others point out, only the most hardcore of the hardcore should even care slightly about this.

  19. #19
    Bloodsail Admiral hiragana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    South Yorkshire
    Posts
    1,193
    This has annoyed me for a while, it seemed to always happen in pvp, though i dont arena anymore so i dont know if it still does. Im very casual these days though so il be going for the staff, even the transmog options are better imo.

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by hiragana View Post
    This has annoyed me for a while, it seemed to always happen in pvp, though i dont arena anymore so i dont know if it still does. Im very casual these days though so il be going for the staff, even the transmog options are better imo.
    Why are people saying this?
    This is the first time for two tiers that a staff has not been BiS, including for PvP.

    I can't even remember what weapon was best in T11. Maybe that was a staff? I have no idea.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •