Poll: Do you support the continued englargement of the European Union?

Page 1 of 11
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Virgo Supercluster, Local Group, Milky Way, Orion Arm, Solar System, Earth, European Union, Croatia

Do you support the continued enlargement of the European Union?

This is a list of countries that can or will at some point join the EU and their current status on that path:

Acceding countries: Croatia

Recognized candidates: Iceland, Macedonia, Turkey, Montenegro, Serbia

Applied but not yet recognized as official candidate: Albania

Potential candidates that haven't yet applied for EU membership: Bosnia and Herzegovina, Kosovo

Countries that have either expressed a will to join the EU or could technically join at some point but aren't on EU's agenda yet: Lichtenstein, Norway, Switzerland, Andorra, Monaco, San Marino, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Georgia, Moldova, Ukraine, Kazakhstan, Russia, Cape Verde, Israel, Morocco

I was particularly surprised when i read that 81% of Israelis would support EU membership.

Anyways, vote away, and post your reasons.

Edit: No nation bashing and EU conspiracy theories.
    Last edited by Wikiy; 2012-11-09 at 05:47 PM.

The EU is going bankrupt. Why the hell would any other country want to join in on the misery?

personally, i think that greece and spain have exposed some flaws that need to be fixed before expanding. but then im not european, so take that as you like i guess

Deleted
    unity is great, however economic issues should be priority.

Deleted
    I support the former Yugoslav republics (especially Serbia and Croatia) joining, given they fulfill all the requirements. I don't support Turkey's bid, nor do I think Israel could join at the moment (although ties between EU and Israel should become closer).

Maybe we can buck the trend in the UK and get the chance to drop the EU once and for all, one day.

Deleted
    In short: yes.

Nigel Farage(and others) are just fearmongering to be honest.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't really have an opinion. I think assuming you can stave off euro collapse, the EU will become increasingly federal over time. Depending who you ask, this is either a good thing or a bad thing. I honestly have no real opinion.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

10+ Year Old Account
    I support continued enlargement. But not including Turkey.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    Virgo Supercluster, Local Group, Milky Way, Orion Arm, Solar System, Earth, European Union, Croatia
    Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    I support continued enlargement. But not including Turkey.
    I'm just wondering, why not?

The way i see it, Turkey has been heavily Europeanized ever since Ataturk and they're heavily West-oriented. Of course, they aren't ready yet because of human rights and economy, but i don't see a problem with them eventually joining once they've lived up to European standards to the fullest.

Deleted
    Britain should leave the EU, it is not benefiting us at all.

This guy explains it better than I ever could, I agree with him completely.
    Last edited by mmoca51a6f9f4d; 2012-11-09 at 06:14 PM.

Norway will never join, i really hope not.

Mainly because i don't want to live in a EU country so Norway is a given for me, plus i got family there too, a european country is fine to live in, i just hate the idea of a united EU (hitler loved that idea btw)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottsdaleHokie View Post
    The EU is going bankrupt. Why the hell would any other country want to join in on the misery?
    Contrary to popular belief, the EU is in a much better position than the US or Japan (in the long run!). However, as you can see we do have a bit of a crisis atm.
    But the TRUST crisis of the EU will pass, meanwhile the DEBT crisis of the US and Japan in the near future will become a major problem for them.

Anyway, as for the question: do I support a continued enlargement of the European Union?

If the countries got their shit in order, yes. I would like to see a European Union the size of whole Europe. I would even support Russia to join if they do away with corruption and would actually become democratic. (lol as if Putin was elected fairly) I'm skeptical towards Turkey, Israel and Morocco though. It's not a definite no, but let's be wary.

If countries don't got their shit in order, no. We've seen the results with Greece, they just drag the rest down with them. They shouldn't have been allowed to join. I think we can all agree on this.

Anyway, for the moment enlargement of the EU isn't such a good idea. Let's first get our shit back in order and then think of enlargement.
    And a much bigger point for argument would be wether or not centralizing power in the EU is a good idea or not. It's a much more valid issue than enlargement currently.

Economies need to be stable. I dont want another greece, portugal, italy and spain scenario. Its fine to help out countries, its different when their parlaments are acting like the Ed, Edd n Eddy gang.

10+ Year Old Account
    The expansion and continued nationification of the EU is an inevitability. It may not be exactly the EU in its current incarnation that finishes the process, but massive nation-states are the way of the future. Individual EU member nations simply do not have the political, economic, or military might to justify their continued existence. Unfortunately, I do not believe that the EU will become fully realized without another massive Eurasian conflict.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH1471 View Post
    Yes please do

also as a EU member I support expanding as long as the countries meet certain requirments
    I can't see Israël joining anytime soon, maybe Palestina?
    ∞=0
    0/2 = 0 , ∞/2 = ∞
    2/0 = error , 2/∞ = error
    0*2 = 0 , ∞*2 = ∞

Politically, yes.
    Economically, there's still some flaws that need to be hammered out.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wikiy View Post

The way i see it, Turkey has been heavily Europeanized ever since Ataturk and they're heavily West-oriented. Of course, they aren't ready yet because of human rights and economy, but i don't see a problem with them eventually joining once they've lived up to European standards to the fullest.
    One word: Cyprus.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Salech View Post
    i just hate the idea of a united EU
    Why do you hate it? Because you fear losing your identity/culture and you don't trust someone from another country to have your best interests at heart?

Well, those are valid means for concern, pretty much EVERYONE in every country of the EU is skeptical towards it. But that doesn't mean a united EU is a bad thing, it's better than fighting eachother. We need to unite to compete with the world of the future. Otherwise the powerful countries of the future will simply walk all over us. Divided we're weak, together we're strong.

In the long run the only valid option for growth and prosperity for all of us in Europe is to unite. Or are we simply content with what we have?

---------- Post added 2012-11-09 at 07:24 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Wikiy View Post

The reason many are wary is because if Turkey would join the EU they would have almost as much to say as Germany due to population numbers and economy.
    And personally I don't trust their leaders. I wouldn't be surprised if Turkey was aiming to take control of the entire EU in the long run.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH1471 View Post
    Because it allows Britain to actually have a say in the decisions made in Europe? If Britain is outside EU, then EU will obviously make decisions that are advantageous to EU even if they're disadvantageous to Britain. It also means British companies will not have the same access to the hundreds of millions of consumers in Europe as EU companies do. When times get tough, import taxes will be put on imports from outside of EU to support EU producers. This guy's argument that you can be a part of free trade blocs even outside EU is mistaken, there's no automatic right to join these pacts, the EU countries might well decide that it's all or nothing and don't allow freeloaders pick and choose what they join.