Page 1 of 2
LastLast

The Multiverse Theory

A long time ago we believed Earth was the only planet, then we thought the sun was the only star, then we thought our solar system was the only system, and not too long ago, we though our galaxy was the only one. Now we say we live in a universe (one). Anyone see a pattern here?

What I find interesting if there are multiverses, is that every possible events, outcomes, thing has happened before and there is someone completely identical to you and someone else has also written word-to-word of shakespeare's hamlet
    Last edited by Nanaboostme; 2012-11-14 at 06:37 PM.

Deleted
    I like the multiverse theory, it means that in one of them I am the batman.

No. I don't see how they are directly related.

Quote Originally Posted by bigfootbigd View Post
    A long time ago we believed Earth was the only planet, then we thought the sun was the only star, then we thought our solar system was the only system, and not too long ago, we though our galaxy was the only one. Now we say we live in a universe (one). Anyone see a pattern here?
    When did anyone ever think the sun was the only star. I mean - look up.

10+ Year Old Account
    All the Science I have seen (The Morgan Freeman Science Show, Wikipedia) indicates other universes. There may be one where dinosaurs evolved smaller and more oxygen efficient and a meteor didn't hit earth. That means there could be a universe of Argonians instead of humans ruling earth. And that is so awesome that it has to be true.

No homework is fun.
    Some reading is homework.
    Reading is not fun

Just because you have found a pattern doesn't automatically mean the next point is true.
    MY X/Y POKEMON FRIEND CODE: 1418-7279-9541 In Game Name: Michael__

Technically there is no "Multiverse Theory" when it comes to science. This is because no scientific experiments have concluded other universes' existence. It's only a hypothesis (and arguably an untestable one).

I'd highly recommend looking into videos of my favorite scientists: Michio Kaku and Niel deGrasse Tyson.
    e.g

Deleted
    Lot's of new theories are proven correct and completely change how we view the world (and cosmos) around us, many more, however, have been posited and eventually debunked as junk. A lot of people believed in the "Phlogiston theory" until it was refuted several decades later. I think Newton believed in and practiced alchemy all his life. As far as I am aware, the multiverse is still only theoretical at this point. It could very well be correct and it could be a load of guff. If it explains things neatly and can accurately predict events in the material world, it's worth taking seriously, but until it can be proven as scientific fact, it's best to take theoretical science with a pinch of salt (or stardust!).

Quote Originally Posted by RICH1471 View Post
    Thread's over folks, Rich1471 just won. Have a safe trip home.

10+ Year Old Account
    The various multiverse hypotheses are certainly intriguing, and personally they seem to have a "truthiness" to them. I can't explain why, but the idea that there is a multiverse out there "feels" right to me personally. No science to that, just pure opinion. The multiversal idea is also one that lends itself to speculation, and those tend to be exciting for non-sciencey folks. Any idea that gets people interested n science and stirs up peoples imaginations is good in my book.
    "Stop being a giant trolling asshole." - Boubouille
    "The Internet is built on complaints about asinine things" - prefect
    "Facts became discussable when critical thinking stopped being the focus of education."- Chonogo
    "Sometimes people confuse "We Don't Understand This Yet" with "Ooga Booga Space Magic" - Chazus

Quote Originally Posted by Symphonic View Post
    No homework is fun.
    Some reading is homework.
    Reading is not fun

Just because you have found a pattern doesn't automatically mean the next point is true.
    Three problems with your statement. First, all I have to do is find one person that thought one homework assignment was in any way fun. (2 words: sex workshops) Second, even if the premise was correct, you need to keep your terminology the same. If 'some reading' is being discussed, your conclusion needs to use 'some reading', not 'reading'. If the premise was correct and the terminology was correct, the conclusion would be 'Some reading is not fun' which is a much more reasonable conclusion. Third, while a pattern may not mean the continuation of the pattern is automatically true, it does mean that it has supporting evidence.

Not necessarily. I don't think multiverse assumes infinity.

Ya , If I am not mistake, multiverse is not an invite number of universe, but a finite about. OmniVerse is the invite number, there needs to be an omniverse to ensure you are batman:P.

Also I think it is a very interesting theory, works out really well if I am not mistaken, nice amount of evidence for it, but a long way from been a real scientific theory(ie one with huge amounts of evidence such as gravity)

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by fiif View Post
    Also I think it is a very interesting theory, works out really well if I am not mistaken, nice amount of evidence for it, but a long way from been a real scientific theory(ie one with huge amounts of evidence such as gravity)
    I actually cant think of any evidence beyond speculation. Do you have any?

Though no guarantee that universe Batman is cool like ours. You could just be running around all day with a cape saying "I'm a bat, I'm a bat, I'm a bat" and people roll their eyes and say "The batman's out again."

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzzie View Post
    I actually cant think of any evidence beyond speculation. Do you have any?
    Was curious myself and found this interesting article: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-14372387

Looks like some credible evidence might be available after January 2013. That or the theory could be refuted.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Omertocracy View Post
    All the Science I have seen (The Morgan Freeman Science Show, Wikipedia) indicates other universes. There may be one where dinosaurs evolved smaller and more oxygen efficient and a meteor didn't hit earth. That means there could be a universe of Argonians instead of humans ruling earth. And that is so awesome that it has to be true.
    And somewhere else the Khajit rule Nirn?
    Putin khuliyo

When did anyone ever think the sun was the only star. I mean - look up.
    But their was a time when we didn't think our sun was the same thing as the other stars.

There would have to be alot more then one. Unless there is no set of events possible that leads you to being batman. The multiverse theory says there is a separate distinct universe for every possibility, not every impossibility which some people forget sometimes.

This has stuff related to multiverses. I found it rather interesting.

http://www.ted.com/talks/brian_green..._for_life.html