1. #1

    Gamescom 2013, need some kind souls to help me out.

    Hello there gentlemen (and ladies of course)

    I've been thinking about going to Gamescom for 2 years now.
    I finally graduated and I had my 18th birthday so I decided to go with a couple of friends. I'm sure it's going to be epic!
    We would like to visit cologne and Gamescom in 2013.

    The problem is that I haven't been able to find any decent info about how to book your tickets and so on.

    Is there anyone that has experience with visiting Gamescom that can tell me where and when I should buy tickets for this event.
    Are there any cheap and good hotels you recommend going to?

    I don't think money is going to be a problem but I would like to keep it as cheap as possible (without losing to much comfort of course)

    I would appreciate it if some of you guys try to help me out.
    Since I don't know when and where to buy tickets I'm afraid they might be sold out when I try to buy them.

    Anyways,
    Thanks in advance guys

    Kind regards, Rennokz

  2. #2
    The Patient Klingzor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Twisting Nether
    Posts
    273
    Can't tell you when they're going to sell them, but it's not like they are sold out in one day. As far as i remember, there's plenty of time to buy them.

  3. #3
    It would be weird if you won't be able to buy them on their site as it is an international event. Make sure you have a place to stay at night and/or transport back home.

    Price of hotels is usually determined by the amount of stars they have and their location. So if you want to have a low cost hotel I'd recommend searching in the outskirts of Cologne. Make sure you know how the public transport works in Germany so you won't have problems / extra cost when you are travelling.
    Last edited by Greened; 2012-11-17 at 01:07 AM.

  4. #4
    Here's a tip. cologne tends to be even more expensive than usual around the gamescom. Düsseldorf is the city next to it with very good accessibility by train. Depending on where you stay you could save some money.

  5. #5
    Have any of you guys been to gamescom last year?

    If so, can you tell me when I should start looking out for tickets to buy?

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennokz View Post
    Have any of you guys been to gamescom last year?

    If so, can you tell me when I should start looking out for tickets to buy?
    I've been to Gamescom in 2011. Tickets won't be sold out in a second, there are plenty of them. Usually, you can buy them right on site. But not on the Saturday. Thats the Day with most visitors. When i was there in 2011, they had to close the site because of crowding (70,000 people). For time, i suggest april /may as the earliest. The faire takes place at the end of august.

    On the website, they will sell you tickets for either a visit on Thursday, Friday OR Sunday and a seperate ticket for saturdays. Because they want to know beforehand, how many people will come on saturday - and they will close the sale if they reach the limit . Then there are tickets for the whole event or just one day.

    Usually, with the ticket, you can use the cologne public transport system for free the whole day the ticket is valid for. And i STRONGLY recommend using the trams.

    For overnight staying, i recommend staying in cologne. Düsseldorf is around 45km away (around 28 miles). Just the train ticket will cost more than the (maybe) increased fee from a hotel in cologne. Both towns sort of rival against each other and the people of cologne dont like those from Düsseldorf and vice versa.
    btw: i dont think düsseldorf will be cheaper. Its one of the most expensive towns in Germany.

    use sites like hrs.de or expedia for cheap booking. You can use the site of Deutsche Bahn (www.bahn.de) to know the stations you might have to change trams in cologne.

    If other questions arise, send a pn or post here. I try to check it sometimes

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Bleda100 View Post
    On the website, they will sell you tickets for either a visit on Thursday, Friday OR Sunday and a seperate ticket for saturdays. Because they want to know beforehand, how many people will come on saturday - and they will close the sale if they reach the limit . Then there are tickets for the whole event or just one day.

    Usually, with the ticket, you can use the cologne public transport system for free the whole day the ticket is valid for. And i STRONGLY recommend using the trams.
    What's the name of the ticket that gives you access to the whole event? Because that's the ticket I'm looking for. If we go there we'll have to travel to Germany and I would like to stay there for the entire length of gamescom and then go back home.
    On their website I saw the tickets have different names and it wasn't really clear what ticket did what.
    So if you could give me the name of the ticket I'm looking for, I can get ready to buy them when they start selling them

    Thanks a lot for all the help, all of the information you guys have given me was really useful

    Regards, Rennokz!

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennokz View Post
    On their website I saw the tickets have different names and it wasn't really clear what ticket did what.
    So if you could give me the name of the ticket I'm looking for, I can get ready to buy them when they start selling them

    Thanks a lot for all the help, all of the information you guys have given me was really useful

    Regards, Rennokz!
    The website isn't quite up to date. But, to answer your question, the type of ticket you are looking for is called "Dauerticket" (could be translated with long-term-ticket , they call it "season ticket"). If they didnt change the prices, it will set you back around 32 Euros.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Bleda100 View Post
    The website isn't quite up to date. But, to answer your question, the type of ticket you are looking for is called "Dauerticket" (could be translated with long-term-ticket , they call it "season ticket"). If they didnt change the prices, it will set you back around 32 Euros.
    Alright thanks,
    What about the location? Where will it be held? Is it different each year or does it stay the same?

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennokz View Post
    Alright thanks,
    What about the location? Where will it be held? Is it different each year or does it stay the same?
    It stays the same. Its the koelnmesse , a large faire area near the city center.

  11. #11
    Don't waste your time and money. I was there two times back when it was in Leipzig in ~2004/2005 and its a waste of time and money. The queues are ridiculous to play a Game for ~10-15mins. Just watch all the trailers online and you get more info about the new games.

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Had88 View Post
    Don't waste your time and money. I was there two times back when it was in Leipzig in ~2004/2005 and its a waste of time and money. The queues are ridiculous to play a Game for ~10-15mins. Just watch all the trailers online and you get more info about the new games.
    yupp, if you are planning on playing games, then a.) dont go on saturdays and b.) go early in the morning or late in the evening. Expect to wait. A Lot. When i was there in 2011 , you would have to wait around 3-4 hours for 15min Diablo 3.

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Bleda100 View Post
    yupp, if you are planning on playing games, then a.) dont go on saturdays and b.) go early in the morning or late in the evening. Expect to wait. A Lot. When i was there in 2011 , you would have to wait around 3-4 hours for 15min Diablo 3.
    I'm not really there to play games. I just want to go there and see all the new games coming out.. Trying them isn't that important.

    I just want to feel the atmosphere Meet other gamers and hang out with my friends

    And I just think it's gonna be pretty cool to hang out there with all the spectacular things we can see.. without waiting in queues

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennokz View Post
    Hello there gentlemen (and ladies of course)
    I don't know about GamesCom, but if you want an acceptale stay, book the cologne youth hostel. It's one of the best equipped in all of europe - it's modern, comfortale, affordable, and best of all, not more then 15 minutes walking distance from the exposition grounds. I stayed there several times and it has always been good. No alcohol in the rooms, as with any youth hostel, but it's pretty comfortable. You may need to purchase a membership in the Youth hostel association. Look for an official youth hostal near your place, they should be ale to book you a room. Book as early as possible, as soon as you definatly know you are going - beds there are always in high demand.

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Skulltaker View Post
    I don't know about GamesCom, but if you want an acceptale stay, book the cologne youth hostel. It's one of the best equipped in all of europe - it's modern, comfortale, affordable, and best of all, not more then 15 minutes walking distance from the exposition grounds. I stayed there several times and it has always been good. No alcohol in the rooms, as with any youth hostel, but it's pretty comfortable. You may need to purchase a membership in the Youth hostel association. Look for an official youth hostal near your place, they should be ale to book you a room. Book as early as possible, as soon as you definatly know you are going - beds there are always in high demand.
    Can you give me a link to google maps that marks the location of the hostel?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •