Poll: Do you still play any MMOs?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    23% of the people on the forums for MMO champion do not play an MMO. Wouldn't expect that.
    "Gamer" is not a bad word. I identify as a gamer. When calling out those who persecute and harass, the word you're looking for is "asshole." @_DonAdams
    When you see someone in a thread making the same canned responses over and over, click their name, click view forum posts, and see if they are a troll. Then don't feed them.

Quote Originally Posted by dragothica View Post
    Varying between WoW, GW2 and The Secret World. I would very much like to play only other MMO's than WoW (i.e. GW2 and TSW) but I fear there aren't any content to see in the end game, the games are in a way "too storydriven". What do you do when you have finished the interesting story on you character?
    You do normal MMO stuff that every MMO has.

There are dungeons and raids in Secret World. Which is an excellent game, I agree. I only stopped because of the new Rift expansions keeping me busy.

Guild Wars 2 does not have any endgame. You play for the sake of playing and nothing more.

Quote Originally Posted by Argroth View Post
    Played SWTOR, got to 50 loved the story and wanted to play more but then they spat in my face and said they were gonna reduce the price to $15 make it free to play and add one of those insufferable cash shops. I jumped ship and hate Bioware now as well for that crap. I seriously believe they owe me compensation, i poured money into their game hoping for a good future but once they sucked a bunch outta me they decide to hand it out like candy on Halloween and ruin the game with a cash shop.
    Uh... A few things I'm confused on here.

1. How did they spit in your face with the freemium transition? It's either the transition, or they continue to slow down the development cycle and outlook for the game continues to look grim. If they had stayed the course, they would have ended up with far fewer people working on the game (even after multiple rounds of layoffs) which would have caused content to come at an even slower pace (see Warhammer Online for that kind of situation. It's an extreme, but it happened). Yes the cash shop is annoying, but if you subscribe you don't lose anything at the transition. You're actually gaining additional value from your subscription as they've added in perks for subscribers that didn't exist before.

As for the price drop, that's extremely common (although it was extreme in this case as they were hurting for new players). You thought the game was worth 60 bucks, so you paid it. If you thought it was only worth 15 bucks, you should have waited until a sale. Things drop in price after release. This happens for pretty much every product ever.

2. Why do they owe you anything? You paid for the game, you got it. You paid for access to the game for however many months you played, you received. You can be upset about the level of service you got or the quality of the game, but you seem like you were happy to subscribe and happy with what they were delivering up until the July freemium transition announcement.

Quote Originally Posted by Korgoth View Post
    23% of the people on the forums for MMO champion do not play an MMO. Wouldn't expect that.
    Because everyone on the entire forum has voted in the poll right?

I play WoW and GW2 but since the poll doesn't support my picks, I didn't vote.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by igame View Post
    Last year when cata came out I was as excited as everyone else. Turned out cata was the worst that ever happened to WoW, so I quit.

Tried SWToR, good IP, horrible execution, tried for a few months and elft.
    Then GW2 came along, it was again a decent game but not quite upto the scratch.
    Lastly, tried pandaland and as always blizzard never dissapoints and provides a sub-par MMO package with poorly implemented ideas and bloat.

One thing I have noticed progressively is that MMO community in general has become worse to the point that one would not want to be associated with such a community. The examples can be seen in the sub forums here. The WoW forum has more people voting that blizz should keep charging for server transfers (even though it's a completely automated process). The SWToR folks act like nothing went wrong and SWToR is the best darn game in the world. GW2 players are oblivious to the fact that just like SWToR, a large percent of people who started to play are gone but they just say good riddance.

Add to that the very very arrogant attitudes of MMO devs, ignoring feedback and not listening to players etc., MMO genre just seems to be a place for the bottom of the barrel gamers. What do you reckon, what are you playing now?
    What exactly is wrong with wow or gw2? As far as wow goes, you are obviously just burned out. I just cant see why anyone would hate MoP except for maybe the theme, and the dailys.

Deleted
    GW2 just got here and yea, I still play it and will for quite a while =)

I quite liked star wars, however my friends didnt because of performance issues back then so it had to be a quit. I would have played it if the f2p model somehow made sense, but it's just some crap I cant find words to explain so I cant see myself ever touch that game again. I much rather have them keeping the lite model with f2p up to lvl 15 and you could run as many warzones you wanted and keep as many characters as you could and design them freely. It's a shame, had fun both in pve leveling and pvp leveling.

I would have played Rift every now and then as well, I like the game but the game doesn't like pvp:ers so I had to let that one go as well.

I quit wow in cata and no turning back =)

Will probably try planetside 2 and firefall sometime... planetside 2 seems to get a terrible launch so no rush there, and firefall seem like it wont hit live anytime soon. It's ok, with the little gametime I have GW2 is more than enough atm

Quote Originally Posted by edgecrusherO0 View Post
    Uh... A few things I'm confused on here.

1. How did they spit in your face with the freemium transition? It's either the transition, or they continue to slow down the development cycle and outlook for the game continues to look grim. If they had stayed the course, they would have ended up with far fewer people working on the game (even after multiple rounds of layoffs) which would have caused content to come at an even slower pace (see Warhammer Online for that kind of situation. It's an extreme, but it happened). Yes the cash shop is annoying, but if you subscribe you don't lose anything at the transition. You're actually gaining additional value from your subscription as they've added in perks for subscribers that didn't exist before.

As for the price drop, that's extremely common (although it was extreme in this case as they were hurting for new players). You thought the game was worth 60 bucks, so you paid it. If you thought it was only worth 15 bucks, you should have waited until a sale. Things drop in price after release. This happens for pretty much every product ever.

2. Why do they owe you anything? You paid for the game, you got it. You paid for access to the game for however many months you played, you received. You can be upset about the level of service you got or the quality of the game, but you seem like you were happy to subscribe and happy with what they were delivering up until the July freemium transition announcement.
    1. Freenium transition and subcribers believing the game wont change is a joke. It's a fact now they have to tranfer some development to the stupid store. That means less quality going to the game in general because now they have sanderson working on the next silly pink hat instead of making and intersting creature/enemy model.
    They have a store now that idiots will be sure to spend unbelievable amounts of money for things they take no time to make, If a company can resist making that easy money and not even devote a little bit of their effort to that then I have yet to see it.
    As it was before subscibers got everything in game EVERYTHING. With how the subsription is going to be now they will get most things BUT many will be locked off. Will the cartel coins they give subscibers allow them access to EVERYTHING in the game as it did before? Will they get all the game and every single pink fuzzy hat they sell in the store as well? I highly doubt it. they will give you enough cartel coins to what they believe you need but not enough to get EVERYTHING as it was before.

2. $60 and a subscription fee dropping to $15 and no subscription fee in under one year is not the normal price drop for any game. It is extremely drastic and for them to flip the game as they did means all the money I was paying went to them just for them to give up. They took an awesome game from me because of their greed.
    They were actively making it substantially better and kept saying good things were coming and then they just packed up and went in a different direction entirely. It would be like if you had an awesome apartment and paid fair rent. The landlord had great plans for some awesome additons and renovations you would love to have. But then the landlord all of a sudden decided to turn it into a hostel while you were living in it, soon the apartment gets trashed and is filled with anybody who decides to walk in the door. None of these squatters pay even a fraction what you paid and soon the apartment turns to shit (except say your room which you still pay rent for that used to cover the whole apartment) and you have to find a new place. You wouldn't be at all upset the landlord did that?

the landlord had every right but you can still be pissed.
    Last edited by Argroth; 2012-11-14 at 09:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Argroth View Post
    2. $60 and a subscription fee dropping to $15 and no subscription fee in under one year is not the normal price drop for any game. It is extremely drastic and for them to flip the game as they did means all the money I was paying went to them just for them to give up. They took an awesome game from me because of their greed.
    Ah, I see more where you're coming from now.

On this point, it's not going to be 15 bucks an no subscription fee. As of tomorrow, it costs nothing to play, however you're locked out of pretty much all max level content and a ton of other features unless you subscribe. You won't have to purchase the game though.

Deleted
    None. Starting uni has soaked up all of my spare time. I havn't played a game for longer than an hour since being here. So many better things to spend my time on.

Deleted
    Funny how people answer that they aren't even playing MMO's.
    MoP, Storm and GW2 just came out and they are browsing MMO-Champions...
    "But we are not playing mmogames!!!" D:

Diablo 3 & Halo 4, mostly - dinking and dunking at my resto druid to run 3s with friends, but once my AP ends in April, I'm done.

Best realization I had was that it wasn't the community or the devs that changed. It was me.

Quote Originally Posted by igame View Post
    Last year when cata came out I was as excited as everyone else. Turned out cata was the worst that ever happened to WoW, so I quit.

Tried SWToR, good IP, horrible execution, tried for a few months and elft.
    Then GW2 came along, it was again a decent game but not quite upto the scratch.
    Lastly, tried pandaland and as always blizzard never dissapoints and provides a sub-par MMO package with poorly implemented ideas and bloat.

One thing I have noticed progressively is that MMO community in general has become worse to the point that one would not want to be associated with such a community. The examples can be seen in the sub forums here. The WoW forum has more people voting that blizz should keep charging for server transfers (even though it's a completely automated process). The SWToR folks act like nothing went wrong and SWToR is the best darn game in the world. GW2 players are oblivious to the fact that just like SWToR, a large percent of people who started to play are gone but they just say good riddance.

Add to that the very very arrogant attitudes of MMO devs, ignoring feedback and not listening to players etc., MMO genre just seems to be a place for the bottom of the barrel gamers. What do you reckon, what are you playing now?

Others have said it, you seem burnt out. Yes there are trolls (welcome to the internet), but not everyone out there is a terrible person. I went into an LFR last night and it was a hard boss. We had a member of Defenestrate(Blackrock, World 16th heroic Will of Emps) who was on an alt teach us the entire fight and we downed it in 2 attempts. No one was a jerk, and the guy was very helpful.

There are two things everyone should remember, don't expect everyone is a troll or a jerk or whatever, that's just gonna poison your attitude.
    The other is that you need to find the right guild or group of friends. I wouldn't enjoy WoW as much as I do now if I didn't have a tight knit group of friends. One of our old guildies who quit actually just killed himself because he was going through a messy divorce. We knew he was down and one of our group had offered to fly him out to Portland from Michigan. This game gets a lot more social and brings you together more than you think. Everyone in our guild was hit hard.

On a lighter note, yes server transfers are automated, the reason why the WoW community thinks they should be paid is because if you could do it free and as much as you want, it would degrade the quality of the service. I personally think for every 6 months of sub time we pay we should get a free transfer/recustomization that is a use it or you can't gain anymore. Then if you wanna pay for other shit, have at it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Try RIFT. I play it and it is WAYYYY better than WoW.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Klutzington View Post
    Try RIFT. I play it and it is WAYYYY better than WoW.
    Because you play it, makes it WAYYY better than WoW?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by stfouri View Post
    Funny how people answer that they aren't even playing MMO's.
    MoP, Storm and GW2 just came out and they are browsing MMO-Champions...
    "But we are not playing mmogames!!!" D:
    It's a decent forum dude. No need to be currently playing an MMO to have a reason to come here

I feel like in the combat department current generation of MMOs is a bit underwhelming. That's kind of the bottom line. Maybe it's time for MMOFPS to rise or MMOFPC ... mass multiplayer first person combat game. I can really imagine pvp ala skyrim. Combat that is more about execution than pressing buttons while eating pizza.

My part in this story has been decided. And I will play it well.

I play no MMO's right now. The genre has become totally stale to me. There are a few games I've got my eye on for the future - WildStar, EQ:Next, Elder Scrolls online. Whether or not they'll actually turn out to be something I wanna play, we'll see. I just know I cannot take more of the same. While I still consider WoW a great game, Blizz has in my opinion played it way too safe, not taking any chances on revolutionary gameplay.

Pit Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    SWTOR and GW2

Soon I'll be adding Planetside 2 to that list.
    ^ The above should be taken with two grains of salt and a fistful of "chill the F* out".