Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Mercarcher View Post
    Vivendi has been trying to sell their 61% share of ATVI since August. They have approached every major game publisher from Microsoft to EA to Disney and not a single one has been interested in buying them.
    You do know why Vivendi has actiblizz for sale right? Its to cover the losses from their much bigger assets. Some would refer the sale as a "stupid" sale, because its priced so high compared market worth it would be stupid to buy it. ActiBlizz is actually a very very small part of Vivendi's corp and its the best option for them to sell to cover their loses in other parts of their other interests. Vivendi also did this same thing in "02 and "03 to cover huge losses in their primary markets.

In GW2, you can't sell the gems for cash, right? So you can buy in, but you can't cash out.

Blizzard takes a different approach in D3 where they're not selling gold, they just take a cut from player transactions.

I made over $100 in D3. MoP was bought with BlizzBucks I made in D3. How much cash have people made in GW2? I know the "Blizzard is evil" crowd won't admit it, but the RMAH in D3 is much much better for the players than the gem system in GW2 and other F2P games.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Manekk View Post
    There is no pay to win nonsense you don't buy gear with it, it's quality of life things like extra bagslots, toon slots or cosmetic gear you buy with the gems.
    I call this bullshit. If you have to pay for QoL things then playing without it, is like playing with a huge rail in you ass
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Dictionary
    Russians are a nation inhabiting territory of Russia an ex-USSR countries. Russians enjoy drinking vodka and listening to the bears playing button-accordions. Russians are open- and warm- hearted. They are ready to share their last prianik (russian sweet cookie) with guests, in case lasts encounter that somewhere. Though, it's almost unreal, 'cos russians usually hide their stuff well.

I really wouldn't mind a system like EVE, where a Pilot's License Extension (PLEX, gives 30 days game time) is tradable in game or on the AH, and is available for purchase from their website for $15, the same as the regular monthly subscription. That way there comes a point where you can make enough gold per month to essentially pay your monthly subscription with in-game currency instead of real money.

Of course in EVE, it's not so pay-to-win, because even if you do buy an epic ship by selling PLEX bought with RL money, it'd still take months to train the skills to be able to fly it. Don't know if WoW would be able to implement such a system to prevent paying-to-win. But I'd be cool if they looked into it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by GarGar View Post
    I really wouldn't mind a system like EVE, where a Pilot's License Extension (PLEX, gives 30 days game time) is tradable in game or on the AH, and is available for purchase from their website for $15, the same as the regular monthly subscription. That way there comes a point where you can make enough gold per month to essentially pay your monthly subscription with in-game currency instead of real money.

Of course in EVE, it's not so pay-to-win, because even if you do buy an epic ship by selling PLEX bought with RL money, it'd still take months to train the skills to be able to fly it. Don't know if WoW would be able to implement such a system to prevent paying-to-win. But I'd be cool if they looked into it.
    I guess they don't want us to be addicted to The Game that much. But you can farm gold in D3 to pay your sub in WoW
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Dictionary
    Russians are a nation inhabiting territory of Russia an ex-USSR countries. Russians enjoy drinking vodka and listening to the bears playing button-accordions. Russians are open- and warm- hearted. They are ready to share their last prianik (russian sweet cookie) with guests, in case lasts encounter that somewhere. Though, it's almost unreal, 'cos russians usually hide their stuff well.

Players can sell gems for Gold
    Players can buy gems for Gold
    Can already do that via the AH or simply vendoring them
    Gems can be used for server xfers/race change/faction chage/pets/mounts/subscriptions
    And where do the real world currencies factor into this? Blizzard wants cash, not "gold."
    The more people selling gems the less gold they cost
    The fewer people selling gems the more gold they cost
    supply and demand already establishes this trend

Benefits: Cuts down on gold sellers, allows people free (someone else pays) server transfers/faction change/race change/pets/mounts/gametime
    It cuts down on nothing and promotes and encourages botting to farm since gems currently come out of ore by buckets. It also doesn't generate income for Blizzard, and businesses are about profits, not making you happy.

Cons: noobs would scream pay to win even though its not.
    It's not pay to win since there's no actual real world currency involved...

---------- Post added 2012-11-15 at 01:48 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Charge me Doctor View Post
    I guess they don't want us to be addicted to The Game that much. But you can farm gold in D3 to pay your sub in WoW
    only if you sell that gold in a real money AH and people buy it for what you are asking. There's a lot of competition.

Quote Originally Posted by Constellation View Post
    Can already do that via the AH or simply vendoring them
    And where do the real world currencies factor into this? Blizzard wants cash, not "gold."
    supply and demand already establishes this trend

It cuts down on nothing and promotes and encourages botting to farm since gems currently come out of ore by buckets. It also doesn't generate income for Blizzard, and businesses are about profits, not making you happy.

It's not pay to win since there's no actual real world currency involved...

---------- Post added 2012-11-15 at 01:48 AM ----------

only if you sell that gold in a real money AH and people buy it for what you are asking. There's a lot of competition.
    Please read the thread. Tired of explaining it. Everything you just said is wrong.
    Last edited by Mercarcher; 2012-11-15 at 02:12 AM.

Deleted
    Please read the thread. Tired of explaining it. Everything you just said is wrong.
    Well your OP wasn't really well explained, maybe you should take that as criticism if people misunderstand it, and improve upon it.

Quote Originally Posted by slozon View Post
    A blue posted not that long ago. Only a small % of the playerbase has over 50k gold

http://blue.mmo-champion.com/topic/2...-be-increased/
    That's weird. But it makes sense in a way, no wonder people are constantly broke and begging for gold.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Charge me Doctor View Post
    I call this bullshit. If you have to pay for QoL things then playing without it, is like playing with a huge rail in you ass
    No it's not, you really don't need anything from there you have everything you need from the start in GW2 the only thing is if you want one of each class because you only have 5 toonslots but over 5 characters you can even as the most casual player get more than enough in game currency to buy more with gems without even notice them gone...

10+ Year Old Account
    Benefits: Cuts down on gold sellers, allows people free (someone else pays) server transfers/faction change/race change/pets/mounts/gametime
    If anything I'd expect the opposite, this system would look more profitable for gold-sellers and hackers....

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Constellation View Post
    (snip)
    No, no, no. Let me explain how GW2 actually works since I see there's people who don't know and confuse the crafting gems with the "other" gems.

So, you mine gems. You use these for crafting. These are not the gems you use to buy the cosmetic stuff at all. These are gems anyone can get by mining and crafting.

Then, there's the currency gems, which are gems only in name, in fact they're just currency, like valor points are except you don't get them by playing the game, you get them by buying them. With real money. However, much like the gems you can mine, you can sell them on the auction house.

So, rich people buy more and sell them on auction house for hold. Then poor people can buy them with gold and continue playing. Since the market sets the price, it probably won't be 1 billion gold to play a month.

---------- Post added 2012-11-15 at 12:31 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by velde046 View Post
    If anything I'd expect the opposite, this system would look more profitable for gold-sellers and hackers....
    Why? People don't need to buy gold from goldsellers anymore since, besides the possibility of being banned, they now have a legal source of buying gems and selling them.

Hackers have always been there, so no comment on them.

Because blizzard is smart, and sits on a gold mine. They would never break their game for a quick buck, don't get me wrong blizzard is greedy, but not that greedy.

I've actually wondered why Blizz hasn't implemented some system like the Xbox Live Microsoft Points. You buy a card at your local video game shop and get a code you can use to unlock a certain amount of Microsoft points (Battle.net points). These could be used for purchasing race changes, server changes etc. Probably wouldn't be a big deal to many of us, but I'm sure the younger players who don't have credit cards would have an active use of this service, thus bringing in more cash for Blizz. Mean they already have pre-paid game time, so why not.

P.S. In GW2, you can trade in-game gold for gems as well as buying them for irl money.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fireballzz
    WoW is dying pls send help

Quote Originally Posted by Livic View Post
    P.S. In GW2, you can trade in-game gold for gems as well as buying them for irl money.
    Yes and I'm saying blizzard should do this. All the gems bought with In-game gold in GW2 were at some point bought by someone else for money. Even if you buy everything with in game gold converted to gems anet is still making the exact same amount of money.

10+ Year Old Account
    Its another thing you gotta pay for and we all know people complain about spending 15 bucks a month or 25 bucks for server transfers as it is. Apprently everyone is poor and can't afford 15 bucks a month, but can afford 150 dollar phone bills who knew.
    I don't always hunt things, But when I do, It's because they're things & I'm a Bear.

Quote Originally Posted by Archdruid Dehydrate View Post
    Its another thing you gotta pay for and we all know people complain about spending 15 bucks a month or 25 bucks for server transfers as it is. Apprently everyone is poor and can't afford 15 bucks a month, but can afford 150 dollar phone bills who knew.
    You don't have to pay for anything. This is just another way for people to pay for what we already have, by giving someone else gold to pay for it for them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nindoriel View Post
    I would like it a lot, but Blizzard's not gonna do that, they would lose a lot of money.
    This is the main reason so it would be stupidity really. Although I'm definitely in favour and think they should implement a bulk discount or something, so for example say you buy 4 realm transfers you get the 5th free or something similar. Current system makes switching realms a huge pain.

Quote Originally Posted by TJ View Post
    This is the main reason so it would be stupidity really. Although I'm definitely in favour and think they should implement a bulk discount or something, so for example say you buy 4 realm transfers you get the 5th free or something similar. Current system makes switching realms a huge pain.
    Blizzard would make MORE money. Not less. There is 0 ways they would lose money.

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    Players can sell gems for Gold
    Players can buy gems for Gold
    Gems can be used for server xfers/race change/faction chage/pets/mounts/subscriptions
    The more people selling gems the less gold they cost
    The fewer people selling gems the more gold they cost

Cons: noobs would scream pay to win even though its not.
    because we pay a sub fee instead and if they dropped something like this in the game I would imagine a lot of people would get pissed and cancel their subscriptions. I know I would cancel the minute they announced it. And yes it is pay2win you can get a massive leg up with gold the BMAH sells heroic pieces. I'm sorry but this is a terrible idea which may work fine in a non subscription game like GW2 where there isn't the competitive level we have in WoW.
    Last edited by vindicatorx; 2012-11-15 at 05:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by vindicatorx View Post
    because we pay a sub fee instead and if they dropped something like this in the game I would imagine a lot of people would get pissed and cancel their subscriptions. I know I would cancel the minute they announced it.
    Why would you quit? Nothing new is offered other than the ability to buy the current services with gold from another player who pays $.